• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most technically-advanced game for each year

Synth

While true, performance should not be ignored (not bugs, performance issues due to bad coding and stuff), otherwise I'd say that even more games are missing from the list, starting with the mess that was Gran Turismo 5 in 2010.

Nah. Even a flawless version of GT5 isn't going to come off well against Metro 2033. If it would, it'd probably have been listed.

I know the OP mentioned something along these lines, but I still think these 'rules' should be a but more open to interpretation.

I don't think it should. OP's done a great job starting of a good thread topic, and his rules help prevent everyone simply trying to wave their favourite consoles big exclusive for each year under the guise of it doing so much "with what they had to work with".

We'd just end up with a bunch of lists like The Artisan's, with people arguing why their choice is more valid and how Mario Kart 8 should take 2014 easy... basically every other graphics thread ever.

I'd also argue that Metal Gear Solid 2 in 2002 was an absolute technical Juggernaut. I remember shooting ketchup bottles in various places and watching them fragment correctly :p Nothing on PC blew me away like that game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'd also argue that Metal Gear Solid 2 in 2002 was an absolute technical Juggernaut. I remember shooting ketchup bottles in various places and watching them fragment correctly :p Nothing on PC blew me away like that game.
Yea this definitely seems to be the most technical impressive game upon it's release. Remember the ice melting.

This guy is obviously Microsoft biased. No Nintendo or Playstation games..

In all seriousness, there haven't been any Nintendo games that pushed the bounds of technology in a very, very long time.

On the Playstation side, I don't see many games actually coming close to what was listed. There are a couple things that other people have said, like MGS2, that warrant a nod, but nothing else really touches what was being done on PC.

The rundown on the arcade games, by year, is awesome. It's very clear that Sega had a firm grasp on the evolving technology until the Naomi/Chihiro/Triforce days. Early Lindburgh games were outstanding looking, but weren't technical marvels like they were in the past.

I would give 2013 for Ryse. Even on xbone it has some features with higher setting than Crysis 3 maxed, way better models and scenery geometry.

AC Unity is not the most technically advanced, it looks amazing but let's not forget how it uses pre baked lighting and pre bakes a lot of other things as well as has a lot of technical issues with LOD problems, all of which would automatically mean it is not the "most technically advanced".

I am saying a game can look great without being the most technically advanced by having good art direction and building around the limitations but it does not mean it is more technically advanced. Then there's the other thing about being hard to run doesn't really mean most technically advanced either. Most technically advanced would just mean how much of advanced real time tech the game's pulling off.

If pre baked lighting is your cutoff for impressive games than your list would probably only feature Crytek games XD

Completely realtime lightning with GI is extremely hard to do, even now the only upcoming games I can think that doesn't prebake GI are Fable Legends and Tomorrow Children.

jI7S4KQJHV6Ru.png

This is a picture of Crysis 2 not Crysis 3

Also, the engine when used in Ryse was already more advanced than when it was used in Crysis 3 I believe

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is a picture of Crysis 2 not Crysis 3

Also, the engine when used in Ryse was already more advanced than when it was used in Crysis 3 I believe
Forgot about this, Ryse also won the siggraph award even though it was released in the same year as Crysis 3.

HTupolev

And to the whole RTCW vs. Halo war, I see how the consolites have ignored my stake at resolution difference :!
No, we "consolites" haven't ignored anything. I wouldn't really say that Halo 1 is a tightly-engineered game, but Halo being vastly more technically-advanced is a big part of why RtCW performs much better on comparable hardware.

And how can u not have Quake for 1996?
Because on 1996 PCs, Quake looked unimpressive and ran horribly compared with 3D games in the arcade space.

It's arguable that Quake is extremely impressive in accomplishing what it did in PC software, though.

nkarafo

Its pretty interesting how the arcades ruled everything until the mid/late 90's and after the consoles/PCs caught up, arcades never recovered.

adelante

If you want to play the "if" game, if DC was on PC you could no doubt get the same visuals at 60fps with even better image quality provided you have the hardware. Just because a game is on a closed platform limitation doesn't make it unimpressive. DC is also locked at 30fps with no drops, so the game has to be running somewhere above 30fps anyway.

http://a.pomf.se/ibxvoa.gif[//img]

[img]http://a.pomf.se/vhrpbb.gif[//img]

The Gears of War mentioned in the OP is on 360. By the next year when the PC version released it was destroyed by Crysis.[/QUOTE]
While the feature already exists for car headlights, I feel like Driveclub could've truly benefitted from a GI solution for the environmental lighting, more specifically bounced/indirect sunlight off the ground and onto objects like trees and rocks, or even cars. As it stands, every screenshot and gif I've seen of the game in the daytime setting doesn't look rich in tone as far as shadows are concerned.

jett

D-Member
So from the OP, it seems this is "what were the prettiest/best looking games" list rather than "what were the most technically advanced(as in work done under the hood) games" list.

What? If it was what you said MGS2 would've won 2001 over Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

This is a good, fair and well put together list to be honest.

wildfire

Banned
Another one that I think might be mentioned for 1988 is Reikai Doushi.
Stunning 2D fighting game for the arcades.

2203_1.png

I saw this image in my first run through but I didn't notice you mentioned it was a 1988 game.

That's looks impressive but when I see it in action I'm underwhelmed by various instances of animation like the ways hit detection occurs. The models are great but this feels like a cheat analogous to the FMV games of the 90s.

Not bad but not exceptional enough.

Didn't think 2001-2013 would be all shooters.

I didn't think the 70s to 80s would have so many racers. I thought adventure games would be king but it's nice to have expectations shattered.

good list OP, though for 2004 I think Far Cry was technically better for what it accomplished than HL2 and Doom 3 with it's huge interactive environments, but that's just my opinion. Other picks were solid

Pachimari

Just read through OPs list.

Anyway, Splinter Cell gotta be there. It really moved lighting and shadow technology forward.

Didn't Jak and Daxter also streamline loading?

Problem is I don't remember the competition in those years. Only that it was tough.

ShutterMunster

If you want to play the "if" game, if DC was on PC you could no doubt get the same visuals at 60fps with even better image quality provided you have the hardware. Just because a game is on a closed platform limitation doesn't make it unimpressive. DC is also locked at 30fps with no drops, so the game has to be running somewhere above 30fps anyway.

ibxvoa.gif

vhrpbb.gif

I mean jesus christ... it's absurd.

What about Infamous second son? Killzone shadow fall? GAF I am disappoint.

There's a case to be made for KZ:SF in 2013, but aside from some great textures and gorgeous particle effects Infamous didn't do too much more, compared to games like AC Unity and Driveclub.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
This thread would be a lot more interesting if we just capped it at 2010. We already have dozens of threads littering the forum about what more technically impressive in the past few years.

Also, what about Quake in 1996? Fighting games are so limited in scope I have a hard time giving them a technical award...hey you make a great looking box with 2 people in it!

KingJ2002

Im in the DriveClub... umm.. club for 2014.

what it has achieved with it's weather system and LOD is unparalleled and it was accomplished on a closed platform early in it's infancy.

Also... you should add Metroid Prime as a runner up for 2002... it introduced a HUD system that forever changed immersion in FPS.

RedSwirl

Great list.
Only thing I really disagree with is Arma 2. Should have been KZ or UC2.
I also think GOW3 looks better than anything else released that year but I don't know how it stacks up on just a technical front.

No way. KZ and UC2 might be more aesthetically pleasing games, but in terms of graphics, open-world scale, and AI, ArmA 2 beats the shit out of them, and probably most action games made since. Sure it's janky as fuck, but the ArmA/OpFlash franchise attempts more than basically any other military shooter even dreams of.

I guess OP doesn't like Nintendo nor Sony lol..

Console games are rarely the most technically advanced.

This guy is obviously Microsoft biased. No Nintendo or Playstation games..

Because their games at the years of release were outdone by many other games. Gears was a huge graphical showcase for its time and the hype at E3 because of its graphics helped the Xbox 360.

Synth

This thread would be a lot more interesting if we just capped it at 2010. We already have dozens of threads littering the forum about what more technically impressive in the past few years.

Also, what about Quake in 1996? Fighting games are so limited in scope I have a hard time giving them a technical award...hey you make a great looking box with 2 people in it!

I don't think you really appreciate just how badly Virtua Fighter 3 murdered everything that year.

This is Quake in 1996

Now take another look at the vid of Virtua Fighter 3 in the OP.

Yea...

EDIT: Besides, Scud Race happened that year too. So even without considering fighters, Quake isn't taking it.

I just wanted to thank you for making this list. Really cool stuff.

I have to wonder if we're putting too much focus on certain aspects of the technical performance since we see a dominance of racing and FPS games. Half Life 2 got an honorable mention, but it seems like we might be focusing on things like lighting and texture detail instead of on things like online connectivity, AI, huge hordes of enemies, and large open worlds.

nkarafo

Yea...
Yup.

Nothing could touch (or even come close) the Model 3 during it's run. Even the Dreamcast couldn't handle the ports very good (although that's probably because of bad porting job).

While the feature already exists for car headlights, I feel like Driveclub could've truly benefitted from a GI solution for the environmental lighting, more specifically bounced/indirect sunlight off the ground and onto objects like trees and rocks, or even cars. As it stands, every screenshot and gif I've seen of the game in the daytime setting doesn't look rich in tone as far as shadows are concerned.

I'm pretty sure Driveclubs lighting solution is global in that sense. Someone took a screen cap of a park bench that was accurately reflecting the grass around around it lol. As it stands now, I don't think I've seen more impressive lighting to date. When cars are out at a distance, and the light hits at a certain angle, the colors wash and reflect in a manner that makes them very hard to distinguish, much like they would in reality. It's pretty sick stuff.

Very interesting selection and contenders, well done.

A remark on 1993, though: while there is no doubt on the technical significance of Daytona, Ridge Racer and Virtua Fighter, Doom should have been at least a contender. There was also Strike Commander on PC, by the way.

Looking back at all this, 1993 was an absolutely incredible year in regards to technical benchmarks.

Dude, Doom blew me away as well but Daytona USA is just absolutely insanely bonkers good looking. I actually think that is far and away the easiest to pick and without a doubt the biggest graphical jaw dropper I've ever seen for the time of release.

This thread is pretty great I have to say. The progress made during the 90's was just insane. So cool to see it all in front of you like that.

SystemUser

2006- Gears of War (Xbox 360)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU8vsAlCsCg
Feels weird to go with a console game here, but the only UE3 game from 2006 was a 360 exclusive, and this was when UE3 was hands-down the most advanced 3D engine ever released. PC tech stagnated this year, but Oblivion was still impressive, too, and I could see the case for it getting the title. Any other suggestions for this year?

Other contenders: The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

I think I would put Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (PC version) above Gears of War. Advanced Warfighter had more details, more onscreen characters, more physics, larger environments and better lighting than Gears of War on Xbox 360.

orioto

Good Art™
What year's do you think he's overlooked them for?

I can kinda see 2014 with Driveclub (even if I don't agree personally)... but I'd love to hear what year you think Nintendo should have won.

Not even going into details, the whole list being about arcade or pc, let's say it shows a particular vision of what technically advanced means to begin with.

Does that mean the most power eating ? its seems so. After that it's subjective.
For example the last 2d view game quoted is from 1978. That means any "technically-advanced" game after that had to be 3D or fake 3D right. No 2D games were even potentially advanced in term of coding or display i guess. Cause it was already odl school in 79 i guess.

And even with 3D games, Wave Race 64 could still win an all time technical award for example.

What i mean is that list is highly subjective and reflect a certain inclination toward certain games, culturally, to begin with.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I don't think you really appreciate just how badly Virtua Fighter 3 murdered everything that year.

This is Quake in 1996

Yea...

EDIT: Besides, Scud Race happened that year too. So even without considering fighters, Quake isn't taking it.

Eh. Drawing a pretty box with a somewhat fixed point of view with a fixed number of characters just seems limited in what they are trying to do technically. The animation and modeling was definitely impressive though.

Racers are just sort of an extension of that although I give them a lot more cred.

yeah no... at that list Driveclub definitely deserves 2014 the rest not bad. i would even put Killzone 2 up there.

Nah, Killzone 2 is impressive, but Crysis was released 2007 lol. Killzone 2's A.I. on the other hand was award winning. Especially impressive in the bot mode, which was the multi-player mode with all A.I. So the systems in place had to be intelligent enough to handle both linear and non linear gameplay.

Really hard to chose the most technically advanced games of the last few years, really. There are probably some mind blowing things hidden away as prototypes and demo's that we haven't seen. But still a solid enough list.

Top Bottom