• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

yeah I thought it initially bowled him as well cause I heard it hit the stumps (which it did) and then saw the bail fall over.

Turned out the ball didnt move the bail, despite hitting the stump, but Prior's glove knocked the ball off.

I like the fact which Brayshaw brought up though "If that bowled him, then it would have been the first time ever in the history of cricket where the batsman was bowled and the bail fell forwards".

C'mon Ferg, get a big one mate!

Ferg's starting to light it up!

I hope he makes a big one just so I can boast about how I used to bat with him at work tomorrow.

whoa, now mitch is lighting it up!

Grug

An absolute classic match. One of the best.

Pup! I never doubted you! ;)

Absolutely pissed myself laughing when Woake bowled that short wide at the start of the last over. Knew we had it won then.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Well it looked like a batters dream, he was best able to capitalise so good on him. Prove himself next game and he MIGHT ;) be in for a look for the WC.

tri_willy

Grug said:
Settle down. Great knock tonight but his form before that was certainly not beyond criticism.

RandomVince said:
If you throw a thousand darts, sooner or later you will hit the board.

These... but he did good tonight, even I will acknowledge that... awesome match was awesome

lets hope this means that clarke has turned the corner and white was starting to look good.

about time the australian batting lineup doesnt look shakey, timing couldnt be better before the world cup.

Dead Man

Sort of glad Clarke might be finding form since he was never going to be dropped, but he is still a wanker. Having checked some videos of that appeal I can't tell what the hell Prior was thinking. He is either a cheat, or a moron. Either way not someone to be respected.

Oh, saw this today, thought it was pretty cool if a bit cheesy in the writing:
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/stories/2011/02/03/3129129.htm

Cricket Australia has had its challenges in the past 12 months, having surrendered the Ashes in a shock 3-1 series loss on home soil and facing an uphill battle to promote the flagging domestic one-day format.

But perhaps CA should spare a thought for a "band of brothers" from Compton, an infamous city in South Central Los Angeles, who face an everyday struggle just to get a flat patch of grass to play on.

Those brothers are known as "The Homies & the POPz" of the Compton Cricket Club, and they make up the first-ever team consisting solely of American-born players to tour Australia.

They previously toured the traditional home of cricket and even met Prince Edward and Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams on visits to the UK in 1997, 1999 and 2001.

While it's akin to a religion in the Empire, cricket is a curiosity in the United States, where the majority of players are ex-pats from India, England, Sri Lanka and the Carribean.

To the Homies though, the sport and its culture have become more like a way of life.

"Can I say cricket saved my life? No I won't say that, because I believe I saved my own life because I had to make decisions," Homies co-captain Theo Hayes told Grandstand Online from Sydney Harbour, where the team was enjoying a day off after its first two tour matches.

"No one forced me to play cricket. I saw it as something that was going to be constructive and away I went.

"But I can tell you where I wouldn't be - I wouldn't be on a boat!"

In the streets of Compton, once named the 15th most dangerous city in the US by the FBI and made infamous by rap group NWA's album Straight Outta Compton in 1988, the sport is building a reputation as an alternative path to gang affiliation, crime and incarceration.
More at the site.

tri_willy

yea saw the replay where johnson was "bowled" by yardy in yday's ODI, prior claims that johnson was bowled/stumped, but replays suggested that johnson missed ball, ball went past him and goes onto prior's gloves, was on crease, gets stumped, prior calls wicket, johnson doesnt take any of that shit, replays show johnson not out...

who's the fucking cheat now!? take that beefy ya botchy clown!!!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yeah was strange as fuck that supposed dismisal. I though it might have clipped the stump without dislodging it then Prior "helped" it on its way and thought it was still out. Very strange but they all seem to do stupid shit under the pump.

Above article is interesting, cricket should be way more popular in the US then it is now.

tri_willy

wow!!! south australia finally win a trophy... even if its only the twenty20 big bash comp... another go in the champions league... niceee

tri_willy

the way butt was playing, he should have never played a test again for pakistan regardless. asif always seemed to get into trouble so he might as well get rubbed out forever, as for amir, hopefully he doesnt fuck again up... still has plenty to offer imo.

RandomVince said:
Not enough.

We're talking spot fixing here, not match fixing - 10 years for 2 no balls? I would say it's a harsh enough punishment given that it effectively ends two careers.

From what I've read Aamir was simply following orders from Butt; sure he should have known better but no need to end such a promising career over so little. 5 years is fair.

Grug

Absolutely awful lead-in to the World Cup for the Poms.

An extremely long tour of Australia culminating in a massive loss of form and a growing injury list throughout the course of an overly-long ODI series with only a 4 day rest back home before they take off for India.

tri_willy

cameron white needs to step it up a bit next time... mitch is having a great last couple of games... hopefully he keeps it up in the wc.

well, 4th consecutive world cup winning XI will be:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Mussey/Ferguson
Dussey
Johnson
Hastings
Lee
Krejza
Bollinger

man of world cup: Mitchell Johnson

Yagharek

CharliePants said:
We're talking spot fixing here, not match fixing - 10 years for 2 no balls? I would say it's a harsh enough punishment given that it effectively ends two careers.

We're talking corruption here. Hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake on betting on the particular deliveries in question. That doesnt belong in the game and they can kindly GTFO of the sport/competition.

RandomVince said:
We're talking corruption here. Hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake on betting on the particular deliveries in question. That doesnt belong in the game and they can kindly GTFO of the sport/competition.

+1

Grug

RandomVince said:

This.

squads for world cup

from foxsports.com said:
Australia
Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke, Doug Bollinger, Callum Ferguson, Brad Haddin, John Hastings, David Hussey, Jason Krejza, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Tim Paine, Steve Smith, Shaun Tait, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

Bangladesh
Shakib Al Hasan (captain), Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Shariar Nafees, Zunaed Siddique, Mohammad Ashraful, Raqibul Hassan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riad, Abdur Razzak, Naeem Islam, Shafiul Islam, Suhrawardi Shuvo, Rubel Hossain, Nazmul Hossain.

Canada
Ashish Bagai (captain), Rizwan Cheema, Harvir Baidwan, Nitish Kumar, Hiral Patel, Tyson Gordon, Henry Osinde, John Davison, Ruvindu Gunasekera, Parth Desai, Karl Whatham, Khurram Chohan, Jimmy Hansra, Zubin Surkari, Balaji Rao.

England
Andrew Strauss (captain), Jimmy Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy.

India
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Ravichandran Ashwin, Piyush Chawla, Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Ashish Nehra, Shanthakumaran Sreesanth

Ireland
William Porterfield (captain), Andre Botha, Alex Cusack, George Dockrell, Trent Johnston, Nigel Jones, Ed Joyce, John Mooney, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Albert van der Merwe, Gary Wilson, Andrew White.

Kenya
Jimmy Kamande (captain), Seren Waters, Alex Obanda, David Obuya, Collins Obuya, Steve Tikolo, Tamnay Mishra, Rakep Patel, Morris Ouma, Thomas Odoyo, Nehemiah Odhiambo, Elijah Otieno, Peter Ongondo, Shem Ngoche, James Ngoche.

Netherlands
Peter Borren (captain), Wesley Barresi, Mudassar Bukhari, Atse Buurman, Tom Cooper, Tom de Grooth, Alexei Kervezee, Bradley Kruger, Bernard Loots, Adeel Raja, Pieter Seelaar, Eric Szwarczynski, Ryan ten Doeschate, Berend Westdijk, Bas Zuiderent.

New Zealand
Daniel Vettori (captain), Hamish Bennett, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Jamie How, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Kane Williamson, Luke Woodcock.

Pakistan
Shahid Afridi (captain), Mohammad Hafeez, Ahmed Shehzad, Kamran Akmal, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq, Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Abdul Razzaq, Abdur Rehman, Saeed Ajmal, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Sohail Tanvir.

South Africa
Graeme Smith (captain), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Colin Ingram, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Morne van Wyk.

Sri Lanka
Kumar Sangakkara (captain), Mahela Jayawardene, Upul Tharanga, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Thilan Samaraweera, Chamara Silva, Chamara Kapugedera, Angelo Mathews, Thisara Perera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Lasith Malinga , Dilhara Fernando, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ajantha Mendis, Rangana Herath.

West Indies
Darren Sammy (captain), Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh Jr., Sulieman Benn, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Chris Gayle, Nikita Miller, Kieron Pollard, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith.

Zimbabwe
Elton Chigumbura (captain), Regis Chakabva, Charles Coventry, Graeme Cremer, Craig Ervine, Greg Lamb, Shingi Masakadza, Tinotenda Mawoyo, Chris Mpofu, Ray Price, Ed Rainsford, Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Prosper Utseya, Sean Williams.

Shane Watson
Brad Haddin
Ricky Ponting (captain)
David Hussey
Michael Clarke
Cameron White
Steve Smith
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Jason Krejza
Shaun Tait

Would be my team. Krejza, Smith and Hussey I would expect to do the bulk of the bowling. Johnson there as more of an allrounder with splitting 10 overs with Hussey depending on how the game is going, but if they get some early wickets or the pitch is doing something for the quicks (heh) then he and watto can keep on the pressure.

More than likely though the selectors will take Doug the Rug over Krejza.

guidop

Had to post this
warne-hurley-420-420x0.jpg

legend166

The ICC should revoke the broadcasting rights of Channel 5 in Pakistan.

Hiring Salman Butt as a commentator is just absolutely disgusting.

Salazar

I love Ponting telling Hussey he needs to suck it up and accept that injury has kept him out.

Mr "playing through the pain" himself.

Top Bottom