• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Yagharek

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
His captaincy has been pretty good

How hard can it be to stand at 2nd slip and chew gum? The other players in the team at least can bat and/or bowl and have been doing so. He isnt a leader, there are better more senior respected players in the side like hussey, haddin, and katich when applicable.

He is a liability more than anything.

Grug

Well a win is a win but we made that much harder than it needed to be.

If Clarke wasn't captain he would have been dropped for form issues ages ago.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
If we could get Watson, Haddin, Marsh, Hussey to fire it would be godly........... but one or more has to fall hard before they step up. The bowling attack been pretty slick, Lee is playing awesome.

my current best XI:

Watson, Marsh, Hodge, Hussey, White, Haddin, Christian, Hastings, Lee, Bollinger, Doherty

Pretty much drop Clarke, smith and bring in Hodge and Christian

Also surprised how good Lee is bowling at the moment, I definitely didnt think he could get back to the level he is now.

yusuf is crazy. India had very very bad team. I hope they recover and regroup before world cup.

Series was fantastic. Amla is beast.

World cup will be between India, South Africa and England I would say.

artist

Banned
crazy monkey said:
yusuf is crazy. India had very very bad team. I hope they recover and regroup before world cup.

Series was fantastic. Amla is beast.

World cup will be between India, South Africa and England I would say.
I dont know, the Poms look very weak in ODIs, T20s and test is another story.

irfan said:
I dont know, the Poms look very weak in ODIs, T20s and test is another story.

I had to google poms haha. you are right but come world cup many team kick it in next gear. England are capable team that is for sure. Australia is also but they are having many problem IMO.

I am not following cricket like I once did so i might be wrong.

artist

Banned
crazy monkey said:
I had to google poms haha. you are right but come world cup many team kick it in next gear. England are capable team that is for sure. Australia is also but they are having many problem IMO.

I am not following cricket like I once did so i might be wrong.
:) We'll see, India is not without problems at the moment. The top order has collapsed too many times this series. However the end result without top players like Sehwag, Tendulkar or Gambhir is an overall decent result thanks to Yusuf's brilliance.

Couple of interesting stats
1. Yusuf first ever batsmen to score two centuries from no.7
2. Yusuf has the highest strike rate for any currently playing cricketer
3. Amla averaging better than Bevan

irfan said:
:) We'll see, India is not without problems at the moment. The top order has collapsed too many times this series. However the end result without top players like Sehwag, Tendulkar or Gambhir is an overall decent result thanks to Yusuf's brilliance.

Couple of interesting stats
1. Yusuf first ever batsmen to score two centuries from no.7
2. Yusuf has the highest strike rate for any currently playing cricketer
3. Amla averaging better than Bevan

Amla and kalis are both crazy. Kalis is my all time favorite even if he is boring to watch. Bevan was amazing in taking singles and doubles. I hope both amla and kalis continue to play like this.

As far as India is concerned I want them to win the cup just for sachin. South africa is much better team over all. They have too much depth. Indian top players are very unpredictable.

Grug

Bevan had a great average in ODI but IMO that was never what made him great. It was his incredible ability to read the match situation and set up a win. Clutchest mofo ever.

Dead Man

Grug said:
Bevan had a great average in ODI but IMO that was never what made him great. It was his incredible ability to read the match situation and set up a win. Clutchest mofo ever.
Yep. He always seemed to hit the winning runs in the last over, no sweat.

Grug said:

yep, another reason why you cant rely on stats alone.

Bevan pretty much reinvented the mindset of ODI players that a run a ball can be achieved for a long time without taking a lot of risk.

I remember him describing how he managed to find the gaps so often and he was talking about "premediation" like it was a mystical power like the force. No one of his era did it as well or nearly as much as he did and it is something that all good one day players do now with their "stike zones" and "swing zones".

Also, the running between wickets was something he and Dean Jones were pioneers of. Making 1s into 2s and 2s into 3s were his specialty.

Yagharek

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
If we could get Watson, Haddin, Marsh, Hussey to fire it would be godly........... but one or more has to fall hard before they step up. The bowling attack been pretty slick, Lee is playing awesome.

Not defending clarke today I see?

guidop

Grug said:

Except in the field. My favorite cricketer when I was growing up but he dropped some absolute sitters. Another reason to hate Clarke; He got Steve Waugh's spot ahead of Bevan

Salazar

guidop said:
Except in the field. My favorite cricketer when I was growing up but he dropped some absolute sitters. Another reason to hate Clarke; He got Steve Waugh's spot ahead of Bevan

Steve Waugh's last test score was a beer-cap question today. I got it wrong. It was about my fifth beer.

tri_willy

damn i missed out on all the thread action after being rubbed out for so long... had been following it on the sidelines...

ashes series

OUTS
Clarke, you're shit, gtfo

Smithy needs to go back to sheffield and improve his game, you are not a perma 6 atm

Johnson, can often be in red hot form and most of the time cold

Hughes, might get a damien martyn style treatment and not see him in the arena in the next 5-6 years

Haddin, might be a bit harsh here, but paine may usurp him in the near future.

Ponting, as great as he has been, game's almost completely gone past him... unless he can do a tendulkar style revival

POTENTIAL INS FOR THE FUTURE (those likely to play for australia in the next 2-3 years)
Steve O'Keefe (NSW): may be the next 1-3 match try out spinner for australia. 3rd left arm orthodox spinner in a row if this happens.

Usman Khawaja (NSW): even though he was a replacement for ponting in the sydney test he will to need do more to prove his worth... hopefully the selectors give him enough time for this

Mark Cameron (NSW): have not seen him bowl, but his stats despite only playing a handful of first class games, has proven to be a wicket taker.

Trent Copeland (NSW): same comments as above

Clint McKay (VIC): another one thrown into the mix

Peter George (SA): another tall considered

Callum Ferguson (SA): more consistently at a higher level and he will get a game.

Shaun Marsh (WA): same as callum

Tim Paine (TAS): future captain prospect, not quite the proven run scorer, but has shown his glimpses thus far.

Mark Cosgrove (TAS): baby boof may be considered in the next 2 years if he can maintain his current form with the tigers, but weight issues and fitness are his barrier to the international arena

Chris Lynn (QLD): has shown aggression in some of his innings in state level, if he can keep it up, a future call up should be in the mix

GUYS WHO SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY AT TEST LEVEL/FORGOTTEN

Phil Jacques (NSW) - was averaging 60 at his peak, after a serious back injury and poor form... he will unlikely feature in another game for aust...

Chris Rogers (VIC) - unlucky not to get more opportunities after his only test... proven scorer in the first class format... may never play again for aust

David Hussey (VIC) - currently averaging 55 and has yet to play for aust??? wtf selectors, he must be wondering how the fuck clarke got the nod over him... if selectors were smart, dussey would have been viewed as a short term fix in the no.4 slot.

Brad Hodge (VIC) - unluckiest of them all?

MY IDEAL WORLD CUP LINE UP for AUST

Watson
Warner
Ponting
Dussey
Mussey
White
Haddin/Paine
Johnson (yea he was shit in tests, but can be effective bat n ball)
Smith/Doherty
Lee
Siddle/Hilfenhaus

12th man - Tait

Grug

Should win from here.

May be 'teh bias' speaking but it's nice to see that the series looks like it will be officially won in Brisbane.

Nice little celebration for a city currently doing it a little tough.

matt404au said:
Although I like him, I'm still not sure why he was selected over James Hopes.

Dan Christian is better than both IMO.

Nicely played so far by Australia, hopefully this last wicket is quickly taken.

Grug

matt404au said:
Although I like him, I'm still not sure why he was selected over James Hopes.

As a Queenslander, I love Hopesy, but he's not the future. Selecting him now would just be a finger in the dyke.

Grug

matt404au said:
He's only 32. That's hardly over the hill.

He is a battle weary and overweight 32 though.

His recent domestic form hasn't exactly screamed for him to be selected either. Ok with the bat but has lost a fair bit of potency with the ball.

DeSo

Banned
Johnson goes for the slog, clearly still in his crease, Prior takes it, takes the bails off and by the looks of it tried to claim Johnson had been bowled out.

Dead Man

DeSo said:
Johnson goes for the slog, clearly still in his crease, Prior takes it, takes the bails off and by the looks of it tried to claim Johnson had been bowled out.
Wow. That's pretty shabby.

Top Bottom