• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Yagharek

I'm not going to wade into the chicko vs adventure racing debate here, I think its a bit hostile at the moment and thus non-conducive to a healthy debate like anything irfan posts.

But lets look at the wisden list below:

The top 5 cricketers of last century judged by Wisden were:
1. Sir Donald Bradman
2. Sir Garfield Sobers
3. Sir Jack Hobbs
4. Shane Warne
5. Sir Viv Richards

I know Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting are all great batsmen, great cricketers. I would also add in people like Kallis, McGrath and Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Courtney Ambrose, Joel Garner just from people I've seen in my own life. Lots of fantastic players.

But that top 5 alone is damn hard to displace. Who would you even kick out of that list if you were to make a top 5 ever list?

Basically what I'm coming to conclude is that after a certain point, there is little to be gained from comparison. They are all incredible cricketers, and ranking them is impossible.

Window

What an innings by Michael Clarke, always enjoyed watching him bat. I just hope he doesn't come on to bowl tomorrow...

Was great to see Ricky get to his 100 as well. I can only imagine what it must have felt like getting there now after all the speculation and discussion about his place in the side.

I'm not even gonna think about how long India will last because they've been so inconsistent. Things don't look good for the next two games though. How in the world will they get 20 wickets?

Grug

Haddin is Poochie.

Stole this from BigFooty. LMAO.

01Fst.png

DeSo

Banned
Selectors have made their bed by making Paine the incumbent. He may never even come good now so Haddin will be around for a while yet I bet.

Grug

Man I'd even take Chris Hartley right now, and as a Queensland Bulls fan, I am frustrated by him on a regular basis.

Window

Do people here not love watching Steyn bowl? So good. Where do you guys think he ranks amongst the all time greats?

Also you haven't actually defined what you need to do to make this list. You're just making shit up as you go along.
QUOTE]

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/153387.html

when this list was compiled, Tendulkar had played for longer than Warne but was not even close to the same votes.

This was by 100 people who supposedly know better than you or I.

I am not insular in my views. I just base my views on cricket as a whole, not just since 2000.

Tendulkar is good, though not a great.

And using the same criteria, SRT, Ponting, Kallis, Dravid today would still not make that top 5.

You base your opinions on bullshit. You blatantly lied about Tendulkars record to try and make him sound worse than what he is. I'm not going to argue with you anymore, you obivously have an agenda but i'm not sure what it is. You say you base your conclusions on cricket and yet the only thing you use to determine Tendulkars quality is that list of the 5 best players of all time. Every other metric you have used was either blatantly wrong, a lie or just your own personal anecdotal evidence.

Suffice to say that calling Tendulkar, one of the batsmen most commonly considered the best since Bradman to be "just a regular 50 average batsmen" or "good not great" are just ridiculous view points.

That top 5 list is not the be all end all of great players. This may be difficult for you too understand but it is possible that there have been more than 5 great players to ever play the game of cricket. Shocking i know.

liger05

India's batting performances in England now Australia are just abysmal.

How does this go down in India or are they just happy seeing there side dominate at home.

Steyn is just fantastic to watch. There is nothing better than watching a bowler who is just beasting and the batsmen don't know what to do. At his best he just looks unplayable. I hope he manages to keep playing well for a lot longer.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
steyn is a beast... arguably the top fast bowler in the past 5 years

Easily, I'd say. England's bowling attack is significantly better than South Africa's (though I'd like to see how Philander develops) but I'd take Steyn over each individual member without hesitation.

Grug

could this be a draw???

Of course it could. Three batsmen with questionable formlines scored over 130. One scored 300+.

Nowhere near unrealistic to think that players like Tendular and Laxman couldn't do the same.

That's what I said yesterday and irfan laughed off the suggestion.

Yeah, his strategy seemed pretty obvious to me. Declare the Australian win as the only possible outcome. Then if it happens, dine out on it as though you are some beacon of cricken knowledge, even if Australia only win the match with a final ball wicket on Day 5.

If it is a draw, dine out on "LOL, how did Australia manage to not win this game LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ" trollisms.

Win/win. A good troll plans ahead and covers their bases but if you step back and observe them, it's pretty easy to read the play.

Dead Man

Yeah, his strategy seemed pretty obvious to me. Declare the Australian win as the only possible outcome. Then if it happens, dine out on it as though you are some beacon of cricken knowledge, even if Australia only win the match with a final ball wicket on Day 5.

If it is a draw, dine out on "LOL, how did Australia manage to not win this game LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ" trollisms.

Win/win. A good troll plans ahead and covers their bases but if you step back and observe them, it's pretty easy to read the play.

Indeed. :)

Clegg

Do Australia really have no wicket keeper better than Haddin?

Even if he couldn't bat he'd still have more to offer than Haddin.

Yagharek

Hilfy putting in one of his best bowling perfomances this test too. Great caught and bowled too. Didnt know they could use 3rd umpire for catches though?

Top Bottom