• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

tri_willy

current crop of nsw players in the aussie lineup

warner
clarke
haddin
cowan is an ex-nsw player

other nsw players in the fringes

watson not long ago moved to nsw for personal reasons
katich, but he's just about played his last test after going out with a bang
hughes back to the wilderness
copeland
starc
khawaja
cummins
doug the rug

The funny thing about Haddin is when he was first coming into the Australian side he was being talked up for his wicket keeping skills. I can barely remember a worse keeper than Haddin at the International level, he is terrigle.

I also think Gilchrist was highly underated at keeping.

tri_willy

The funny thing about Haddin is when he was first coming into the Australian side he was being talked up for his wicket keeping skills. I can barely remember a worse keeper than Haddin at the International level, he is terrigle.

kamran akmal (match fixing mode?)

Dead Man

Gillie was solid, but not awesome. It's been a while since Australia had a class keeper, who was in the side based on his keeping.

Grug

Healy was the last genuine glove-man that could have held his spot on keeping alone. Gilly was definitely solid but his batting was his ticket into the team.

Gillie pretty much never dropped catches and he had to keep to some pretty hard bowlers (Warne, Mcgrath at the stumps and Brett Lee at his best). He was also incredibly quick with his stumpings and could move a long way to make catches. I'm not sure what more anyone expected from him.

I know batting was his big thing but i think he was a good enough keeper in his own right.

Healy was the last genuine glove-man that could have held his spot on keeping alone. Gilly was definitely solid but his batting was his ticket into the team.

It was a perfectly acceptable tradeoff to replace a world-class keeper and very handy batsman (healy) with a world-class batsman and very good keeper (gilly). The problem is that Haddin is inferior to Gilchrist in both disciplines.

Yagharek

India's attack so far this series:

lgZ4i.gif

It was a perfectly acceptable tradeoff to replace a world-class keeper and very handy batsman (healy) with a world-class batsman and very good keeper (gilly). The problem is that Haddin is inferior to Gilchrist in both disciplines.

Chances were that would have been true of whoever replaced Gilchrist. The problem isn't that he is worse than Gilchrist the problem is that he is worse than just about any other keeper who has picked up the gloves at an International level.

The fact that he constantly throws away his wicket is just icing on the backe.

artist

Banned
And comparing Gilly to Healy is a shit/giggles comparison. What other keeper was better than Gilchrist during his time? Jokes.

artist

Banned
Yeah, his strategy seemed pretty obvious to me. Declare the Australian win as the only possible outcome. Then if it happens, dine out on it as though you are some beacon of cricken knowledge, even if Australia only win the match with a final ball wicket on Day 5.

If it is a draw, dine out on "LOL, how did Australia manage to not win this game LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ" trollisms.

Win/win. A good troll plans ahead and covers their bases but if you step back and observe them, it's pretty easy to read the play.
Fucking troll thinks like a troll.

2.25 days of play left, 8 wickets left to fall, lead of 420+, batting lineup hasnt crossed 300 mark in 13 consecutive innings prior, there was only one possible result. Even West Indies would have won from that position.

Ofcourse Sheilas like you had to underplay Australia's chances. Its a shame that this decent Australian team (minus Haddin) has to play for undeserving fans like you.

Grug

It was a perfectly acceptable tradeoff to replace a world-class keeper and very handy batsman (healy) with a world-class batsman and very good keeper (gilly).

Undoubtedly. In facty Gilly had to wait too long for his chance.

In his autobiography I think I recall him saying that perceptions of Healy's superiority with the gloves was the reason.

Not even Australians use the word sheila anymore. What timewarp are you stuck in, irfan?

I have actually heard someone say that not so long ago. I was so taken aback i just stood there in shock wondering if i had heard right lol.

Harris. India are terrified of our quicks at the moment. Add in another one and a bouncy WACA wicket and fun will be had by all.

I'm not sure if it's because they are afraid of Australias quicks or if their batting lineup is just floundering in general (judging by their performance in England i'm going to go with the latter).

artist

Banned
Harris. India are terrified of our quicks at the moment. Add in another one and a bouncy WACA wicket and fun will be had by all.
Thats fine, what about long term when Australia has to visit overseas. Australia doesnt even have a Tahir, lol.
I have to twist them to wring them out I piss myself laughing.
Good that you finally admitted it.

Grug

Thats fine, what about long term when Australia has to visit overseas.

Same thing will happen as pretty much every tour since Warne retired, we'll probably lose.

There still seems to be no saviour coming. Warnemania was predicted to result in a whole new generation of Australian kids bowling spin, but it still hasn't delivered us a genuine quality international. C'est la vie.

artist

Banned
Good point. The real question is... how much is he earning?
More than Clarke based on dolla/wicket.

Chappell criticizing Clarke for being defensive against Ashwin and rightly so.

edit: Ashwin's being treated like a regular batsman, sigh .. Finally Hilfy back.

They should treat Ashwin like a proper batsmen. Besides maybe one or two exceptions he is the one closest to actually looking like a proper batsmen this series.

artist

Banned
They should treat Ashwin like a proper batsmen. Besides maybe one or two exceptions he is the one closest to actually looking like a proper batsmen this series.
Chappell's right. Get Ashwin out rather than Yadav, attack from both ends.

India reach 400, 100 more than my expectations. Zaheer, Ishant and Ashwin showing more fight than the Indian middle order.

Top Bottom