• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Cerebral Assassin said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Luckily the greater UK takes it more seriously than you, lest Paul Collingwood would not have received his MBE for his epic 17 run contribution. :lol

santouras

Grug said:
Do they do their own commentary or do they just pick up an international stream?
I'm not sure. I just saw an ad for it when I was watching sbs the other day and was pretty darn happy. I thought it was only going to be on fox which would have been a right pain in the butt

tri_willy

yea last time the aussies toured england in 2005, the game was televised in SBS. an embarassing effort by the aussies in the twenty/20 format. a new team should just be built altogether as this format obviously does not suit the likes of clarke and possibly ponting

Grug

santouras said:
what tour are you guys talking about? the other games like the one dayers and such?

tour_de_france.gif

tri_willy

:lol watching the tour will prob make my nuts drop off

anyway back on topic, ireland make it to the super eights if thats any news. would love to see an underdog team win this comp for the hilarity

artist

Banned
santouras said:
ah irfan, maybe one day your country will stabilise enough to hold your own tournaments and your cricket team will reach it's full potential. Until then I see you'll just make do by trolling the australian cricket team at every given opportunity. It must hurt to be second class for so long
You must have confused me for a Pakistani, my country of origin is India. Sorry for making your awfully constructed post irrelevant. :lol

Grug said:
Haha, deadset, can't even make a post about an upcoming tournament without Irfan exposing his insecurities.

The saddest thing is that he seems to hate Australia more than he loves India. If only he spent as much time talking about his own team as he does obsessing over another, he'd probably be able to fabricate the illusion of being an objective fan of the sport, rather than a habitual troll with a wombat in his britches.

Confused boy in need of emotional realignment.
I dont hate Australia, its pricks like you and your circle jerks is what I dislike. I also dislike arrogance, which is why I was 10000% against the Punjab side in the IPL. So when Ponting and co. show this arrogance is when I criticize them, see dropping Symonds decision which fortunately (for Symonds) came back to bite them in the ass.

santouras said:
hopefully if ireland win it the rest of the cricketing world will stop playing t20 out of disgust. We can only hope...
Yup, Australia not good in T20 automatically means its just a shit format, amirite? Oh, these bitter tears, love every drop of them.

:lol :lol :lol

SA v NZ coming up, should be an interesting clash. I'm pulling for NZ in this game just because they're the underdogs.

Kryten

We (NZ) deserved to lose - defeat from the jaws of victory etc.

My wife's brother plays for Ireland (Regan West), it's been awesome being able to see him play. Ireland have basically won everything the ICC has given them the chance to at the Associate level (in some cases, they've done it more than once) and for some reason they're just not getting any love (maybe they're just worried about players like Eoin Morgan abandoning England - lol). The ICC need to pull finger on allowing teams like Ireland to play more international ODI's and even test matches against the lower grade teams (Bangladesh etc).

I'm really looking forward to the NZ vs Ireland game - it's a bit tough for Ireland having to back up on successive days, especially when they're playing India tonight.

Grug

santouras said:
hopefully if ireland win it the rest of the cricketing world will stop playing t20 out of disgust. We can only hope...

Haven't you realised, any Australian that doesn't like Twenty20 is a sore loser. That's the extent of irfan's critical thinking ability.

Has nothing to do with the fact that it has none of the elements that make test cricket so great. Attrition, patience, subtlety, long battles between batter and bowler, time management strategies, declarations, the amazing way in which the context of a game can shift over the course of a session, the old ball/new ball dynamics, pitch deterioiration. I've been consistent in my views on Twenty20 for years on here... but still irfan pulls out the "hahaha itz becoz Austrayla is shit at it LUL!" remarks. Its childish.

I have no problem with people who enjoy the big hitting aspects and short duration of Twenty20. It just doesn't contain the elements of cricket that fascinate me. Even the 50 over format has a lot of problems IMO.

The world tiddlywinks champion isn't Australian either... I guess I'm just a sore loser because I don't care for the game.

The suggestion that I would hate a code because we're not good at it is laughable... I followed the Brisbane Bears for christ's sake. :lol

artist

Banned
Grug said:
blah blah blahl
Keep the supremacy talk out of this thread. It's T20 Cricket for a reason, I'm sure when the one-dayers came around, there were a lot of old whiny bitches calling for that format's blood too, why should there be a change for this format?

Keep filling those shoes and the tears flowing. :D

santouras

irfan said:
You must have confused me for a Pakistani, my country of origin is India. Sorry for making your awfully constructed post irrelevant. :lol
yes, india, the place that held the recent IPL..... o wait...

irfan said:
Yup, Australia not good in T20 automatically means its just a shit format, amirite? Oh, these bitter tears, love every drop of them.

:lol :lol :lol

I have hated, HATED, this format since it was created. It is a novelty to see the old boys run around in the IPL that have since retired, but I refuse to go to a t20 match, of which I've had plenty of opportunities. To think I don't like it because australia are blowful at it is completely wrong. t20 is an abomination on the great game

Grug

Ahh the old "blah blah blah" quote. Is there any better sign that you've got nothing meaningful to say when you pull that out.

Just try not being a douche irfan. You'll go far.

Grug

santouras said:
I have hated, HATED, this format since it was created. It is a novelty to see the old boys run around in the IPL that have since retired, but I refuse to go to a t20 match, of which I've had plenty of opportunities. To think I don't like it because australia are blowful at it is completely wrong. t20 is an abomination on the great game

Sore loser.

jey_16

Banned
i'm confused as to what arrogance people see in the Australian team? they behave no differently to any other sports team that dominated their sport. Yet when India, South Africa or England act in the exact same way.....nothing is said

i think there is just so much bitterness over how well they played for so long that people just cant get over it....believe me, i know. 95% of my extended family support SriLanka and just a few of us support Australia so it can get quite heated :lol

Grug

jey_16 said:
i'm confused as to what arrogance people see in the Australian team? they behave no differently to any other sports team that dominated their sport. Yet when India, South Africa or England act in the exact same way.....nothing is said

i think there is just so much bitterness over how well they played for so long that people just cant get over it....believe me, i know. 95% of my extended family support SriLanka and just a few of us support Australia so it can get quite heated :lol

Tall Poppy Syndrome.

mclem

jey_16 said:
Does not compute.

artist

Banned
santouras said:
yes, india, the place that held the recent IPL..... o wait...
So you have ONE example to base your whole argument on? Just ONE? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Great going there ret.

IPL was moved to SA only because it coincided with the general elections in the country and the organisers were adamant on not post-poning the tournament.

santouras said:
*whine* *whine* *whine*

Love them bitter tears, every drop of it. :D

jey_16 said:
I'm not sure where India displayed arrogance? If you havent come across the arrogance in the Australian unit, clearly you're perspective is not objective enough. Hell, even former Australian greats have seen this same arrogance and have called for self-moderation.

Note to the circle-jerk (Grug, santouras & company), please keep whining on the T20 format. You'll earn your place among the whiners in the history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_Cricket

:D

snaildog

irfan said:
I just bought a subscription to a dedicated stream for 18 bucks (complete tournament), pretty decent so far. Zero commercials and commentators are chappells, holding etc.
Sounds good, mind posting the link?

artist

Banned
snaildog said:
Sounds good, mind posting the link?
http://www.streamsmania.tv/m/index.php

I'm not affialiated to them in any way. I also bought their IPL package for 19 bucks after the first 10 games. Their prices usually tend to go down as the series progresses, so if you are interested in just the semis/finals, then it could cost less for you. So the T20 WC package may be less than 19 bucks now ..

Also their stream is actually an HD source downconverted, encoded and streamed over the net, so its much higher quality than the 'demo' stream on their website. Also reliable because there are 3 sources = 3 channels available to you. If you are having issues on one of them, just switch over the next. (You may get a different commentating team). If you are not so sure, contact them. I'm sure they'll give you a one match trial to test it out, which is what I did before signing up. :D

santouras

irfan said:
So you have ONE example to base your whole argument on? Just ONE? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Great going there ret.

IPL was moved to SA only because it coincided with the general elections in the country and the organisers were adamant on not post-poning the tournament.

only because? really? are you serious? dude, give your shtick a break. Everyone knows the IPL was moved because of the terrorist attacks the year earlier. It was after those attacks that they freaked out with the elections coming up and shifted the tournament. Hell, wasn't there a terrorist attack DURING the first IPL if I remember correctly? So no, it isn't the only thing I'm basing my argument on, and yes, because your country isn't stable each and every major cricket tournament/tour is going to have some shadows cast over it. To extend that, EVERY tour/tournament to the sub-continent will when you add up the crap in pakistan and whats been going on in sri-lanka with the tamils.

irfan said:
*whine* *whine* *whine*

Love them bitter tears, every drop of it. :D
and on this, give me a freaking break. Anyone who knows me irl knows that don't give a flying rats about t20 and never have, so to think that I would care either way if Australia is good or bad at it is amazingly laughable. About as laughable as your inevitable "bitter tears" and responses inevitably filled with ":lol"

santouras said:
only because? really? are you serious? dude, give your shtick a break. Everyone knows the IPL was moved because of the terrorist attacks the year earlier. It was after those attacks that they freaked out with the elections coming up and shifted the tournament.

England went back with no further problems, what you don't seem to realise is that in a country with over a billion people it takes a lot of security to hold an election, couple that with a major tournament and it wouldn't be feasible to have it there at that time.

santouras

Cerebral Assassin said:
England went back with no further problems, what you don't seem to realise is that in a country with over a billion people it takes a lot of security to hold an election, couple that with a major tournament and it wouldn't be feasible to have it there at that time.
there is no doubt about that, altho that there NEEDS to be security around an election also highlights instability in a country, but whatever. However, to say that the election was the ONLY reason around the moving of the IPL from india is ill informed and delusional.

santouras said:
there is no doubt about that, altho that there NEEDS to be security around an election also highlights instability in a country, but whatever. However, to say that the election was the ONLY reason around the moving of the IPL from india is ill informed and delusional.

Well no Aussies would have turned up that would have been a problem, but to say it was only moved due to the Mumbai attacks is also ill-informed and delusional(do you realise that the elections run for a month),many international players were willing to go and play in India as England showed( they might not be the best but at least they have heart)

santouras

my original statement to irfan was that his country was rife with instability, which I still stand by, and when they need to have security to run an election and have major terrorism in their biggest city, is proven.

It's just an election for crying out loud, seriously, if you can't run an election peacefully your country is severely messed up.

santouras said:
my original statement to irfan was that his country was rife with instability, which I still stand by, and when they need to have security to run an election and have major terrorism in their biggest city, is proven.

It's just an election for crying out loud, seriously, if you can't run an election peacefully your country is severely messed up.

Learn the meaning of the word proven (or are you actually stupid enough to suggest the UK is rife with instability because we have had "major" terrorism in our biggest city on and off for decades? Maybe the US is too)

Stick to Cricket(not that there is much you can talk about at the mo as you don't like T20, perhaps you can report on the training sessions in Leicester)

santouras

Cerebral Assassin said:
Learn the meaning of the word proven (or are you actually stupid enough to suggest the UK is rife with instability because we have had "major" terrorism in our biggest city on and off for decades? Maybe the US is too)

Stick to Cricket(not that there is much you can talk about at the mo as you don't like T20, perhaps you can report on the training sessions in Leicester)
I see you skipped over the US/UK and most other first world countries not needing to employ major security when people go to the voter booths.

can't wait for the ashes :)

santouras said:
I see you skipped over the US/UK and most other first world countries not needing to employ major security when people go to the voter booths.

can't wait for the ashes :)

I see you missed the link in my post?

As for the Ashes don't worry I'm sure Grug will talk to you about that while the rest of us enjoy the T20.

artist

Banned
santouras said:
only because? really? are you serious? dude, give your shtick a break. Everyone knows the IPL was moved because of the terrorist attacks the year earlier. It was after those attacks that they freaked out with the elections coming up and shifted the tournament. Hell, wasn't there a terrorist attack DURING the first IPL if I remember correctly? So no, it isn't the only thing I'm basing my argument on, and yes, because your country isn't stable each and every major cricket tournament/tour is going to have some shadows cast over it. To extend that, EVERY tour/tournament to the sub-continent will when you add up the crap in pakistan and whats been going on in sri-lanka with the tamils.
Thats likes suggesting NY not to hold any major event just because of the 9/11. These kind of terrorist attacks dont happen too often, they are rare occurances. The primary concern are controlling the crowds, guarding 100 cricketers is not as big a security concern. Also Mumbai is not the only city in India btw ;) They could have simply moved the Mumbai matches to some other city.

santouras said:
and on this, give me a freaking break. Anyone who knows me irl knows that don't give a flying rats about t20 and never have, so to think that I would care either way if Australia is good or bad at it is amazingly laughable. About as laughable as your inevitable "bitter tears" and responses inevitably filled with ":lol"
Then why the whining here? :lol :lol :lol Hypocrite much.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Unfortunately his brain is not big enough to process this.

santouras said:

You always top your most ignorant post. You're talking about a democratic election in a country for over 1 billion people not 20 something million hillbillys.

santouras

irfan said:
Thats likes suggesting NY not to hold any major event just because of the 9/11. These kind of terrorist attacks dont happen too often, they are rare occurances. The primary concern are controlling the crowds, guarding 100 cricketers is not as big a security concern. Also Mumbai is not the only city in India btw ;) They could have simply moved the Mumbai matches to some other city.
NY did and continues to hold major events after 9/11, I'm not following your point here. And yes, I do know that mumbai is not the only city in india

irfan said:
Then why the whining here? :lol :lol :lol Hypocrite much.
We need to define this better, you are stating that I don't care about t20 because australia is getting beaten at it, I'm saying I don't care about t20 because I don't think it is proper cricket and have always been of that opinion. That is a BIG difference

irfan said:
You always top your most ignorant post. You're talking about a democratic election in a country for over 1 billion people not 20 something million hillbillys.
one hundred, one thousand, one million, one billion, who cares. If you can't hold peaceful elections it shows your country has some serious problems with it's culture and makeup. You cannot successfully argue that just because you have a larger population than another country you immediately need to start bringing in the troops to control people when they start voting. Voter troubles happen in countries with far less population than india, it's not about the numbers, it's about the attitude.

santouras said:
NY did and continues to hold major events after 9/11, I'm not following your point here. And yes, I do know that mumbai is not the only city in india

one hundred, one thousand, one million, one billion, who cares. If you can't hold peaceful elections it shows your country has some serious problems with it's culture and makeup. You cannot successfully argue that just because you have a larger population than another country you immediately need to start bringing in the troops to control people when they start voting. Voter troubles happen in countries with far less population than india, it's not about the numbers, it's about the attitude.

The biggest democracy in the world has isuues with its culture & makeup??(rich coming from an Aussie the way you guys have treated "real" australians & refugees) You do realise that India as a independent state is only 60-odd years old, had big chunks of its industries & infrastructure ripped out by the Empire and is still mainly a 3rd world country but unlike similar victims haven't resorted to military dictatorship or a theocracy.

No comment on the link I posted?

Grug

Cerebral Assassin said:
The biggest democracy in the world has isuues with its culture & makeup??(rich coming from an Aussie the way you guys have treated "real" australians & refugees)

Yes, those Englishmen who stepped off the boats suddenly became Australians the second before they started slaughtering aborigines. *rolls eyes*

The same way the English puritans became American the second before they slaughtered American Indians.

LMAO at a citizen of the once great colonial power moralising on the treatment of indigenous people.

Grug said:
Yes, those Englishmen who stepped off the boats suddenly became Australians the second before they started slaughtering indigeneous people. *rolls eyes*

They were no longer English citizens( and I was talking about the abuses since the state of Australia was set up, but then an Aussie missing the point seems to happen a lot in this thread).

Grug

Cerebral Assassin said:
They were no longer English citizens

Oh dear... history not your strong suit?

and I was talking about the abuses since the state of Australia was set up

That's convenient. Still allows for a good 110 year of systematic subjugation and murder of indigenous people carried out in the British Colonies of New South Wales, Swan River (Western Australia) and Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) under the full legal authority of the British Crown and the policies of Westminster.

You may want to read the 1835 Proclamation of Terra Nullius by Governor Bourke of the British Colonial Office. That one act became the foundation for one of the most disgusting periods of genocide in modern history.

Grug said:
Oh dear... history not your strong suit?

That's convenient. Still allows for a good 110 year of systematic subjugation and murder of indigenous people carried out in the British Colonies of New South Wales, Swan River (Western Australia) and Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) under the full legal authority of the British Crown and the policies of Westminster.

You may want to read the 1835 Proclamation of Terra Nullius by Governor Burke of the British Colonial Office. That one act became the foundation for one of the most disgusting periods of genocide in modern history.

And that excuses abuses carried out by the Aussie state? Or are you so obssesed by us that you do everything we do(also this sort of incident is not confined to Australia, it was happening all across the Empire).

Grug

Cerebral Assassin said:
And that excuses abuses carried out by the Aussie state?

Where did I say anything even close to that? Are you resorting to straw man tactics already?

Or are you so obssesed by us that you do everything we do

:lol Australia as a nation-state is only 108 years old. We didn't suddenly develop an independent set of Australian values from the moment we became a federation. Australia's political, legal and cultural framework is still heavily shaped by the institutional inertia of colonisation. The continual inability to achieve positive indigenous outcomes is largely manifestation of those values cemented at settlement.

200 years ago those values were of social darwinism and European superiority.

Today they are about (western) liberalism's inability to accommodate real difference (ethnically, legally, politically, epistomologically).

Either way, the problems facing Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders then and now stem from the moment Englishman set foot on these shores.

If you are really interested in this stuff (rather than just trying to make shallow statements), I'd suggest you read theory about "deep colonizing". Deborah Bird Rose and Gillian Cowlinshaw write beautifully on the subject.

The same threads of abuse and disenfranchisement of indigenous people continually run through Australia's history post-settlement and across every policy phase, whether that be protection, integration, assimmilation, self-determination... Trying to identify at what point it became "Australia" perpretrating these acts is a pretty simplistic way of viewing how a national character is formed. White "European Australia" rightfully deserves to be criticised for its apalling treatment of indigenous people. But for that criticism to come from a British person with the intent of distancing themselves from it... its downright laughable.

I am not commenting on your discussion with Santouras, that is between you two. But I do have a low tolerance for fallacies and/or simplifications being passed off as fact. You happened to stumble into an area I have studied quite heavily, bad luck.

(also this sort of incident is not confined to Australia, it was happening all across the Empire).

Not very 'civilized' was it. :(

At least we got a thriving international cricket scene out of it.

Grug

The administrators of Queensland Cricket need bullets.

Noffke has signed with Western Australia because the Bulls dropped him from the limited overs squad.

We've now lost Noffke, Watson and Johnson to WA, NSW and WA respectively in the last 18 months. Three international class all-rounders.

Fuck me drunk. Symonds better play like a man possessed next season.

Top Bottom