• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Zapages

Awesome win for ENgland!!! Good bowling and fielding!!!

Now India and Ireland have knocked out of the WC and tomorrow matches are going to be awesome!!!

artist

Banned
T20 sucks, the format is a joke on the name of cricket. I hope Ireland wins or something so that I can mock the format even more. Am i rite?
santouras, Gruggie

Zapages said:
Awesome win for ENgland!!! Good bowling and fielding!!!

Now India and Ireland have knocked out of the WC and tomorrow matches are going to be awesome!!!
Yeah, the difference was the fielding and bowling. Also that Yuvraj's stumping by Foster was brilliant and the game changer IMO. In T20 format, fielding makes a bigger impact than it does in one-day or the tests, a person who can field like Gibbs should be considered an all-rounder.

Now I am backing WI & Pakistan, both mercurial teams and really unpredictable. While SL & SA are more consistent with SA being the best side so far in this tournament.

Grug

A chance that KP could miss the Ashes. That would change the landscape significantly.

Looks like Freddie is going to be ok to play though.

artist

Banned
Zapages said:
YAYAY!!! Pakistan into the Semis for sure with run rate of 1.185 versus .7 and .9 for Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
To be honest, the group was not that great competition-wise, Ireland & NZ (totally out of sorts) were easy targets to go by. Pakistan look promising, if their bowlers can keep up the good work, especially Gul. Vettori should stop the ball tampering allegations, definitely lost my respect on his reaction to their massive defeat against Pak.

England on their way out, just 3 needed off the last over. Broad's emotions are priceless, he bowled absolute lollies in the penultimate over. :D :lol

tri_willy

broad is a piece of shit. that guy will just end up being an overrated bowler. he's only lucky to be in the side coz his father used to play for england who happens to be a match referee atm

artist

Banned
Massive win for SL and NZ is expectedly out of the tourney. NZ despite the presence of so many all-rounders never really looked the part, they didnt look promising in even ONE game.

Zapages

Good win for SL, NZ can't complain now about the bowling... Its just that they can't play spin at all...

South Africa vs Pakistan is going to be tough match for sure for Pakistan
West Indies vs Sri Lanka this is going to be interesting if West Indies can pull through or Sri Lanka will win it through spin.

artist

Banned
AAK said:
The real T20 final is going on right now.
Did you mean the women's game? *confused*

SA not really putting up a big score, IMO thats their only weakness I can see .. not much acceleration in the last 5 overs.

Zapages

irfan said:
Did you mean the women's game? *confused*

SA not really putting up a big score, IMO thats their only weakness I can see .. not much acceleration in the last 5 overs.

He meant India :lol vs South Africa...

AAK

Common man, the "India :lol " was uncalled for. I'm Pakistani myself, but I openly admit that India are by far one of the most powerful teams internationally. Had Jadeja been a little more faster, they'd be going to the semi's.

Zapages

cartoon_soldier said:
I am from India myself.

I feel so happy when the Indian Team loses.

Or if Harbhajan not given 5 wides for two consecutive overs.

Exactly, but India should have won against West Indies though. Also they were over-confident about the World Cup T20 and I did not like how they were booing Pakistan when Pakistan was playing against Sri Lanka... Actually Coolingwood had to mention about the booing after they won against India.

Zapages said:
Exactly, but India should have won against West Indies though. Also they were over-confident about the World Cup T20 and I did not like how they were booing Pakistan when Pakistan was playing against Sri Lanka... Actually Coolingwood had to mention about the booing after they won against India.

No one wants to be booed in their own country LOL :lol

artist

Banned
Zapages said:
The Indian team was booing Pakistan in Pak v SL game?

Also this match is interesting for one metric:

If India chase 131 in 15.4 overs, Pakistan would play West Indies on Thursday.

Pakistani fans must be hoping India achieve this like nothing else. :lol

Zapages

irfan said:
The Indian team was booing Pakistan in Pak v SL game?

Also this match is interesting for one metric:

If India chase 131 in 15.4 overs, Pakistan would play West Indies on Thursday.

Pakistani fans must be hoping India achieve this like nothing else. :lol

Honestly I want West Indies vs Pakistan final... That'll be cool. :)

artist

Banned
AAK said:
Those 2 men on the crease right now are world class. The 2 of them will easily take the match India's way.
Yes but Dhoni's out of touch .. :/

cartoon_soldier said:
I am from India myself.

I feel so happy when the Indian Team loses.
Whats this? Were you abused in India or something? :lol

AAK

I can kind of relate to him. I am Pakistani myself, but I usually wish for Pakistan to lose. People from my country take the damn game way too seriously and treat it more like religion. I think Pakistan is guilty of this more so than any other country. If we begin to lose more and more, hopefully the obsession will die out.

... and Dhoni's out :/

Zapages

AAK said:
I can kind of relate to him. I am Pakistani myself, but I usually wish for Pakistan to lose. People from my country take the damn game way too seriously and treat it more like religion. I think Pakistan is guilty of this more so than any other country. If we begin to lose more and more, hopefully the obsession will die out.

You got to be kidding me, we(Pakistan) have sucked for more than a year or so in cricket... We are lucky that we are in the Semis after all the politics and all the bad things that are happening back home. Pakistani people need something look forward to be distracted from the depression of their lives that they live in right now. :|

Anyway Pathan is in...

EDIT: Pathan is out...

AAK

Remember how everyone treated the team after we lost 1999 final? Or even when we lost to Ireland 2 years ago?

It's a travesty. They never do the same for Hockey, Squash, or the Olympics.

But regardless, yes, you have a point that maybe Pakistani's will have something to look up to, but it's not like it will change them in anyway. But that's a different topic.

Zapages

AAK said:
Remember how everyone treated the team after we lost 1999 final? Or even when we lost to Ireland 2 years ago?

It's a travesty. They never do the same for Hockey, Squash, or the Olympics.

But regardless, yes, you have a point that maybe Pakistani's will have something to look up to, but it's not like it will change them in anyway. But that's a different topic.

Yep, but you have remember what happen with Hockey and the Olympics... How the change from actual grass to turf hurt Pakistani Field Hockey as told by my Grandfather who was on the Field Hockey team for the Olympics back in the day...

Anyway India lost by 12 runs...

artist

Banned
AAK said:

The obsession will never die out, its just the way people are. Its just no excuse to be wishing failure on a team of individuals who are not part of that group.

edit: Any chance of Dhoni proving that this team combination would win and redeem his decision (Jadeja/Ishant) just backfired. When it isnt your time, things just dont go your way. Feel for Dhoni.

artist

Banned
Rejoice KKR fans, Boka-known is gone

Rejoice Kolkata Knight Rider fans! There's life after death. Coach John Boka-known, oops Buchanan, has been sacked.

Barring KKR, every IPL team will miss him. But for his genius, Ajantha Mendis might have played and won a few more games for KKR in IPL2. But for him, Umar Gul might have played more than a mere five matches in IPL1. Only the greatest of talent spotters would have ignored Mendis and opted for the Henriques and the Van Wyk's of the world.

Just look at the performances of Gul and Mendis in the T20 World Cup. They have been winning one game after another for their country.

Buchanan contributed immensely to KKR. His ingenious four-captain theory created a lip-smacking controversy that earned Shah Rukh Khan's team unlimited eyeballs in newspapers and on television. It all added to the team's brand awareness. KKR may have finished last on the pitch but SRK was laughing his way to the bank.

But then I am being derisive. The Australian is a visionary. He had foreseen the inevitable and had already worked out alternatives. In these days of recession and unemployment, it requires world-class networking skills to get another employer after leading your team to the bottom! I will beg him to write my cv the next time I go job hunting.

Buchanan will be joining England's coaching set-up this summer. He will primarily be looking after the juniors there. But there is some real good news for Ricky Ponting and company. He will also advise team director Andy Flower on the forthcoming Ashes series beginning July 8. Perhaps he would ask Flower to get Hayden, Gilchrist, McGrath and Symonds to play for England.

As Shane Warne has said "hopefully" he will be "overcomplicating" things. "I reckon it gives our Ashes chances a big boost," the classy leg-spinner said. Who would disagree?

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Addictions/entry/rejoice-kkr-fans-boka-known
100% agreed, only a fool like Buchanan would have rested Mendis/Gul combo. Also add to the fact that his "team' was racist towards the sub-continent players in KKR. Good riddance.

Michael Bevan or Dav Whatmore sound like good candidates, hopefully these guys can finally live upto their potential next season now that the fool is gone.

tri_willy

wow... the saffers sure chose a wrong time to be losing... haha
seems like afridi has got a bit of form back with the bat. im sure he'll get out for a cheap score in his next innings :D

AAK

Holy crap. Sri Lanka has the talent of 90's Pakistani's with the commitment and concentration 00's Australians.

I predict a huge Paki-slaughter this Sunday.

Unless Afridi will have another one of his days... which probably has never happened in successive games.

But in all honesty, Sri Lanka deserve to win with how they've played in this tournie since the warm up matches.

Zapages

Final is going to be Sri Lanka vs. Pakistan.

This is going to be hard for Pakistan for sure... Sri Lanka has awesome bowling and spinners.

AAK

:lol

WTF is going on here?

Sri Lanka of all times choke on the Final match. 34 - 4???

who would have thought

AAK

Sangakarra is still in, if they don't get him out b4 SL get past 100, Pak will be in trouble. Malinga, Mendis, and Murali can easily restrict any team to a low score.

Top Bottom