• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

santouras

Cerebral Assassin said:
No comment on the link I posted?
isolated polling incidences != a country not being able to hold a national sporting event

I think Grug summed things up pretty well too, especially with his comment about cricket being a good thing coming out of british colonisation, pity the yanks pulled out before cricket really hit on

Grug said:
Fuck me drunk. Symonds better play like a man possessed next season.

I found that sentence hilarious :lol

artist

Banned
santouras said:
NY did and continues to hold major events after 9/11, I'm not following your point here. And yes, I do know that mumbai is not the only city in india
Which blows your entire argument to bits. Isolated terrorist attack != cancellation of sporting events.

santouras said:
We need to define this better, you are stating that I don't care about t20 because australia is getting beaten at it, I'm saying I don't care about t20 because I don't think it is proper cricket and have always been of that opinion. That is a BIG difference
No, you got it the other way around. You come here and troll T20 format, how its not real cricket etc. to which I point out the bitterness in you (that Australia hasnt been good in it). Yet you and your 'old' whiney gang keep whining on it, like I said earlier please do it. Your tears will one day be among those documented in the pages of history. ;)

santouras said:
one hundred, one thousand, one million, one billion, who cares. If you can't hold peaceful elections it shows your country has some serious problems with it's culture and makeup. You cannot successfully argue that just because you have a larger population than another country you immediately need to start bringing in the troops to control people when they start voting. Voter troubles happen in countries with far less population than india, it's not about the numbers, it's about the attitude.
LOL, dude you are admitting you dont have anything on this argument. Voter troubles in countries that are far less populated and yet India is THE only country with over 1 billion pillion and a democratic system. Until another country achieves the same feat with far less police force, you have no ground to base your argument on. Come back when you can actually put out a decent well-founded argument.

Back to cricket, Eng v SA today. Anyone betting on England today? I'd like to get a comment from Broad. :lol :D

Cerebral Assassin said:
And that excuses abuses carried out by the Aussie state? Or are you so obssesed by us that you do everything we do(also this sort of incident is not confined to Australia, it was happening all across the Empire).

Grug's already got this covered, but don't be that guy. From a legal perspective, Australia was made up of British colonies until 1901. All the abuses of indigenous Australians that go on before that time compete - and more - with what came after. Criticizing Australians on that point without recognizing your own country's part in that picture smacks of hypocritical smugness.

santouras said:
one hundred, one thousand, one million, one billion, who cares. If you can't hold peaceful elections it shows your country has some serious problems with it's culture and makeup. You cannot successfully argue that just because you have a larger population than another country you immediately need to start bringing in the troops to control people when they start voting. Voter troubles happen in countries with far less population than india, it's not about the numbers, it's about the attitude.

Because context doesn't matter? Seriously? Your criticism of the social and political dynamic within India seems driven more by your need to insult irfan than a sound basis in reasoned observation. The country is not rife - useful synonyms: profuse, replete, pandemic, raging, teeming, rampant - with instability, however much it cannot be denied that some decent sized problems exist there.

artist

Banned
England 45/3 after 9.3 overs. They really need a blistering innings from someone (Mascarenhas?) to get a decent total. I dont think anything below 140 is defendable on this pitch.

edit: Looks like Owais is stepping on the gas now. 14 off 3 balls. :D

artist

Banned
Zapages said:
England out for 111 in 19.5.... I can't believe Pakistan lost against the same team. ;_;
Pakistan has managed to restrict Srilanka from 80/0 after 8 overs down to 150 only. Not easy but definitely gettable.

artist

Banned
Big win for WI today. Bravo's career best innings, totally stole limelight away from Yuvraj's brilliant knock. India have their work cut out if they want to make it to the semis.

tri_willy

holy shit at bravo, what an all around performance. shocking innings from dhoni honestly. i can understand if he was trying to build his innings slowly, but that is still a disgrace.

Tim the Wiz said:
Grug's already got this covered, but don't be that guy. From a legal perspective, Australia was made up of British colonies until 1901. All the abuses of indigenous Australians that go on before that time compete - and more - with what came after. Criticizing Australians on that point without recognizing your own country's part in that picture smacks of hypocritical smugness

The British Empire was almost a third of the world at its height, you don't get that by handing out tea & crumpets( In all seriousness though you guys don't need to tell me about the abuses carried out by the Empire we are responsible for most of the conflicts around world today) my point was that Australians have no real right to any moral superiority(neither does England or India for that matter).

Back to cricket, apparently the ICC has warned Stuart Broad for his gesture whilst bowling to de Villiers. The worst thing about this is that neither his captain or his coach see anything wrong with it. Link LOL at Flower for comparing a look to waving an arm.

Also I had missed this cool bit of fielding by Matthews against WI

idahoblue said:
How the fuck did this thread get so shitted up? Why can't GAF discuss cricket?

Thread is fine, all you have to do is ignore the more petty parts of the Grug/Irfan stuff and its fine, perhaps the better question is why can't you discuss cricket?

Dead Man

Cerebral Assassin said:
Thread is fine, all you have to do is ignore the more petty parts of the Grug/Irfan stuff and its fine, perhaps the better question is why can't you discuss cricket?
I have seen how these threads go and make it a point to stay out so I can avoid as many internet arguments as possible. :D

Edit: I'm not saying I'm perfect, or slagging any particular poster, it just always seems to be very argumentative in the cricket threads.

idahoblue said:
I have seen how these threads go and make it a point to stay out so I can avoid as many internet arguments as possible. :D

Edit: I'm not saying I'm perfect, or slagging any particular poster, it just always seems to be very argumentative in the cricket threads.

Its like if a bunch of step-children who have divorced their parents get together with their abusive step-parent to play a game he invented(and then most of them became better than him), you're going to get arguments.

Dead Man

Cerebral Assassin said:
Its like if a bunch of step-children who have divorced their parents get together with their abusive step-parent to play a game he invented(and then most of them became better than him), you're going to get arguments.
:lol :lol

Grug

idahoblue said:
How the fuck did this thread get so shitted up? Why can't GAF discuss cricket?

We can discuss cricket. Just make sure your opinions match those of irfan, otherwise your motivations will be drawn into immediate suspicion. For example, if you prefer test cricket in comparison to the shorter forms of the game... its not because of any valid reason, you are just a bitter Australian who doesn't like Twenty20 "because Ostrayla is shit at it lul!".

If you can get past the armchair psychology, its not too bad at all.

Grug said:
We can discuss cricket. Just make sure your opinions match those of irfan, otherwise your motivations will be drawn into immediate suspicion. For example, if you prefer test cricket in comparison to the shorter forms of the game... its not because of any valid reason, you are just a bitter Australian who doesn't like Twenty20 "because Ostrayla is shit at it lul!".

I've asked you before for your reasoning you decided against explaining you're just as bad as he is.

Grug

Cerebral Assassin said:
I've asked you before for your reasoning you decided against explaining you're just as bad as he is.

Are you serious?

I've clarified my position on this multiple times.

I wouldn't be so quick to clamour for the moral highground if I was you by the way. Your first contribution to the thread was to call me a "deluded Aussie" for saying that South Africa and Australia were the two clear best test sides. Australia then went on to win the series in South Africa.

Just putting that out there.

Zapages

Important Match for Pakistan today against the New Zealand... Its a must win situation. :|

West Indies are playing ok against South Africa... South Africa is 113/2 in 13 overs.

artist

Banned
Grug said:

Here we go again. LOVE THEM BITTER TEARS. Like I said earlier, there were old whiny bitches against the Kerry Packer series and they are just rotting away in the annuals of history while the one day format marches on.

The supremacy/discrediting talk does not belong to this thread until the ICC decides to call T20 some thing other than cricket.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Back to cricket, apparently the ICC has warned Stuart Broad for his gesture whilst bowling to de Villiers. The worst thing about this is that neither his captain or his coach see anything wrong with it. Link LOL at Flower for comparing a look to waving an arm.
Is there a video of this?

Zapages said:
West Indies are playing ok against South Africa... South Africa is 113/2 in 13 overs.
Ok? SA going at 9+ an over is not good for West Indies.

Grug

Here we go again indeed.

Your inability to separate the popularity of Twenty20 from the fact that I simply don't like the format is a source for continual bafflement.

I mean, soccer is the most popular sport in the world... but it is still possible for someone to not like it. Tell me you understand this.

I say this with all due respect, but English isn't your first language right? Just putting it out there that its best not to accuse people of crying "bitter tears" unless you actually have comprehended the meaning of what they are saying.

Grug said:

Why would it be controversial at all if someone prefers test cricket? I like ODI's and T20 is great, but I prefer test cricket myself... as long as the teams are evenly matched.

If there was no test cricket, we wouldnt get matches like these, which easily compare in drama, emotion, strategy and excitement with the best which ODI and T20 have to offer.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3015256324911531508

Words fail me. The greatest test ever played... in the greatest series ever played. Abso-fucking-lutely incredible.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Here we go again indeed.

Your inability to separate the popularity of Twenty20 from the fact that I simply don't like the format is a source for continual bafflement.

I say this with all due respect, but English isn't your first language right? Just putting it out there that its best not to accuse people of crying "bitter tears" unless you actually have comprehended the meaning of what they are saying.
There is a differene between not liking it and wishing that the format just dies. Big difference. If you cant realise this, then obviously you are delusional enough to think your stance is a moderate one.

iamcool388 said:

Words fail me. The greatest test ever played... in the greatest series ever played. Abso-fucking-lutely incredible.
So good. That was roadblock #1. :D

Grug

iamcool388 said:
Why would it be controversial at all if someone prefers test cricket? I like ODI's and T20 is great, but I prefer test cricket myself... as long as the teams are evenly matched.

If there was no test cricket, we wouldnt get matches like these, which easily compare in drama, emotion, strategy and excitement with the best which ODI and T20 have to offer.

The 1960 tied test at the Gabba between West Indies and Australia would have to be up there too. My dad was at that game as a 17 year old and still goes on about it to this day.

Grug said:
The 1960 tied test at the Gabba between West Indies and Australia would have to be up there too. My dad was at that game as a 17 year old and still goes on about it to this day.

Yes... and so should the second tied test... Australia vs India... epic run chase by India after one of the best innings ever played... Dean Jones made 200+ in debilitating heat... almost killed himself, played through diarrhea and vomited on the field! And in the run chase, India had just one wicket left I think... not too sure about that.

In my mind, India vs Australia has surpassed Australia vs England and Pakistan vs India as the best rivalry in Cricket. So many good matches... even the Indian tour of Australia after the 2001 Aussie tour was amazing.

P.S. I was at the Calcutta test btw! I went the first day when Harbhajan took his Hattrick. I had my level 10 exams going on at that time, so I couldnt go days 2-4 and thus missed Laxman's awesome knock, but went on the last day. Craziness.

I was also in the stands when the India vs Pakistan match was played in front of empty stands after the crowd was asked to leave. I was in the G stand where the orange throwing began. Funny ass shit. :lol :lol

Grug

There is a differene between not liking it and wishing that the format just dies. Big difference. If you cant realise this, then obviously you are delusional enough to think your stance is a moderate one.

Once again there appears to be a comprehension problem. I am not claiming to be moderate. All I am refuting is your juvenile argument that my distaste for Twenty20 is due to Australia's lack of success in it.

If you could just accept that and stop making the same old accusation over-and-over-and-over again, the thread would go along much more smoothly.

artist

Banned
iamcool388 said:
Yes... and so should the second tied test... Australia vs India... epic run chase by India after one of the best innings ever played... Dean Jones made 200+ in debilitating heat... almost killed himself, played through diarrhea and vomited on the field! And in the run chase, India had just one wicket left I think... not too sure about that.

In my mind, India vs Australia has surpassed Australia vs England and Pakistan vs India as the best rivalry in Cricket. So many good matches... even the Indian tour of Australia after the 2001 Aussie tour was amazing.
I agree. But some how I know this is a minority, back home the Ind v Pak clashes are boiling hot just like the Ashes is for Aus/Eng.

Grug said:
Once again there appears to be a comprehension problem. I am not claiming to be moderate. All I am refuting is your juvenile argument that my distaste for Twenty20 is due to Australia's lack of success in it.

If you could just accept that and stop making the same old accusation over-and-over-and-over again, the thread would go along much more smoothly.
I have accused you and your mate of that (Austalia not being great in world T20) as a reason before you explained your distaste for it. AFTER that I'm just slotting you both as the minor voices of debbie downers that wouldnt matter to the format in the bigger picture. Got it?

Grug

iamcool388 said:

Can't agree there. Australia v India is an epic modern rivalry, but the Ashes has endured for 120 years and still going strong.

In my book, its still the Ashes followed by considerable daylight. I feel sick just thinking about the fact that its coming. Too much emotion to process. :D

Dead Man

Grug said:
Can't agree there. Australia v India is an epic modern rivalry, but the Ashes has endured for 120 years and still going strong.

In my book, its still the Ashes followed by considerable daylight. I feel sick just thinking about the fact that its coming. Too much emotion to process. :D
I'm going to be in England for the last 2 tests, but couldn't get any tickets! :lol

Grug

idahoblue said:
I'm going to be in England for the last 2 tests, but couldn't get any tickets! :lol

They'll start appearing on the Gumtree soon, but they'll cost you.

I nearly bought tickets to the Oval test in 2005, but they were going for 200+ pounds each. That was nearly a month's rent. Couldn't justify it.

irfan said:
I agree. But some how I know this is a minority, back home the Ind v Pak clashes are boiling hot just like the Ashes is for Aus/Eng.

Yeah thats true... I edited my earlier post, I was in the stands when the crowds were dispersed.

iamcool388 said:
I was also in the stands when the India vs Pakistan match was played in front of empty stands after the crowd was asked to leave. I was in the G stand where the orange throwing began. Funny ass shit. :lol :lol

grug said:

*Puts juvenile hat on*

Dude, England. Lulz.

*Takes it off*

Dead Man

Grug said:
They'll start appearing on the Gumtree soon, but they'll cost you.

I nearly bought tickets to the Oval test in 2005, but they were going for 200+ pounds each. That was nearly a month's rent. Couldn't justify it.
It'll be tempting, for sure. I think I'll give it a miss, like you said, just too expensive.

Grug

iamcool388 said:
*Puts juvenile hat on*

Dude, England. Lulz.

*Takes it off*

Form of the respective teams is irrelevent in the Ashes.

The whole English side could go down with Swine Flu and we'd still take intense pleasure in beating the under 16s woman's team that they'd have to play instead. :D

Dead Man

Grug said:
Form of the respective teams is irrelevent in the Ashes.

The whole English side could go down with Swine Flu and we'd still take intense pleasure in beating the under 16s woman's team that they'd have to play instead. :D
Us Aussies are such graceful winners! :lol

*hopes he hasn't jinxed the Aussies now*

artist

Banned
SA have lost the plot some what in the last 5 overs, 5 wickets for 50 runs. Dont think they can get 190+ which looked easy after 12 overs.

irfan said:
SA have lost the plot some what in the last 5 overs, 5 wickets for 50 runs. Dont think they can get 190+ which looked easy after 12 overs.

Yeah, this last over was really good. Who is this Taylor dude, looked like a good bowler... is he new in the team? I havent followed cricket in a while. :-(

artist

Banned
iamcool388 said:
Yeah, this last over was really good. Who is this Taylor dude, looked like a good bowler... is he new in the team? I havent followed cricket in a while. :-(
Nah, he's been around for a few years atleast.

Zapages

183/7 South Africa is a good really competitive score.

Let's see West Indies can reach the goal of 184, its going to be a tough task.

Zapages

Let's see West Indies can reach the goal of 184, its going to be a tough as they lost a wricket already. :|

EDIT: Ouch Gayle is out now. :| 13/2 in 3.2... It does not look good.

artist

Banned
Paging Gayle magic. :D

I like this new guy:Lendl Simmons. The other day he took a brilliant catch against India, commentators suggest he's the best in the side right now plus he's handy with the bat.

edit: F!!!! Gayle gone.

artist

Banned
lol @ 3rd umpire decision. :lol Still good fight by the WI despite big guns (Gayle, Bravo) not firing. Simmons is the find of the season for WI.

edit: Parnell's got sick figures. Just wow.

Grug said:
Are you serious?

I've clarified my position on this multiple times.

This is what I got last time I asked why 1-day cricket is cricket but T20 isnt:

Grug said:
I've also given my thoughts on the 50 day format in this thread. Try reading the thread then get back to me.

Did you honestly expect me to read through 20-odd pages just to find out what you thought :lol :lol

Grug said:
I wouldn't be so quick to clamour for the moral highground if I was you by the way. Your first contribution to the thread was to call me a "deluded Aussie" for saying that South Africa and Australia were the two clear best test sides. Australia then went on to win the series in South Africa.

Yes and that was a couple of months after you had lost 2-0 to India and 2-1 to South Africa I was just say the pack had caught you up and there was/is no daylight between you and SA & India

artist

Banned
Zapages said:
Good win for pakistan today... Hopefully we get a good run rate and advance to the next round. :)
Yeah, the next game is against Ireland so the NRR should go up even more, should easily make it to the semis going past NZ & Ireland. Gul with an exceptional spell today, he's the most consistent Pakistani player (bowler, batsmen, fielder) in the side.

Zapages

irfan said:
Yeah, the next game is against Ireland so the NRR should go up even more, should easily make it to the semis going past NZ & Ireland. Gul with an exceptional spell today, he's the most consistent Pakistani player (bowler, batsmen, fielder) in the side.

Definitely...

Ireland right now is giving Sri Lanka some trouble with Sri Lanka only being 111/4 after 16 overs... Good game going right now. :)

Top Bottom