• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
holy shoit at gilly. fucking owned the delhi bowling and unfortunately got out on 85 off 35. amazing to watch
FUCK that shit, its not real cricket anyway. :p

Seriously though A-M-A-Z-I-N-G :D ACB must be really torn and concerned. Hayden's not done too bad either :)P), I dont think ANY of the young (Australian young standard = 25 and older :lol ) can fill the shoes of these two openers.

tri_willy

well done to gilly and deccan for winning the 2009 IPL over bangalore, what a tense match!

on to other cricket, the west indies look like they dont give a shit about playing cricket altogether :lol

Congrats Deccan. From last to first: a great journey well orchestrated by Darren Lehmann. Got rid of Laxman, made Gilchrist captain, and had the benefit of having Symonds on hand more often this time around.

Gilly led in good fashion tonight, with great performances from Symonds, Gibbs, Ohja and Harmeet. Bad luck to Kumble, who bowled exceptionally (4/16!) despite the loss.

As for the tournament, highlights for me were seeing some of the legends displaying their wares - Hayden (still maintain he was forced into retirement too early, but unearthing Hughes might excuse this in the future), Gilly, Warne, Tendulkar, Kumble, even Dravid at times - and the rise of some young Indian players in Armit, Pandey, etc.

artist

Banned
Feel sorry for Kumble, he was quite upset at Dravid for slowing the chase (?), quite harsh.

Congrats to DC. Finally my home team came to the party, its a festival in Hyderabad.

I just loved this game, it was one of the most EPIC matches I've ever seen including the '99 semi. Symonds following Pandey around was just too good to miss. :lol And yes, I take back my comments on Harmeet (see above) for criticizing his earlier performances, he more than made up for those, well done.

Pandey is still the find of this season IMO.

artist

Banned
Symonds should be in the Ashes team like Gilchrist said. I havent seen such a fired up Symonds in a long long time, his aggresion could have been very useful with his batting/bowling as a bonus. He's in fine form too.

I hope this decision comes back to bite ACB/Ponting in their ass.

master15

tri_willy said:
symonds career gone.

http://www.cricinfo.com/wt202009/content/current/story/407391.html

what a shame symo but looks like the last straw

Just read it, fucking really sad since Symo on form is easily one of my favourite players to watch. Sadly the last year or so it's been such a mess for him and with him being ignored for the Ashes this sort of seals his fate.

Still I will forever have found memories of his innings in WC against Pakistan. One superb fucking knock...

Grug

Not much going on up top for Roy.

Tragic. :(

irfan said:
I call BS. They've (CA) clearly made up their mind on sticking a fork into Symonds, one way or another.

Stupidest thing I've ever read.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Stupidest thing I've ever read.
You should read your own posts, easily tops anything and everything stupid.

Dropping Symonds for Ashes when he's in form made no sense to start with. CA made their intentions clear, this incident is a justification to the public for axing him.

irfan said:
Dropping Symonds for Ashes when he's in form made no sense to start with. CA made their intentions clear, this incident is a justification to the public for axing him.

I think there's more than one measure of blame to go around here. You can't ignore the fact that Symonds allowed himself to take part in that activity when he knew he was under scrutiny, considering recent history. But it is clear that the selectors want to move away from Symonds now, which is extremely unfortunate as he's finally getting back into a good place with his cricket.

To be fair, he definitely should have had a place in the Ashes squad over McDonald, but with Marcus North up-and-coming in the Test arena and Watson in good ODI form, they probably didn't see it as much of a risk to ignore him. And now with this incident on top of it, it's hard to see where his next opportunity to get back into international cricket is going to come from.

Hard to believe how quickly his fortunes have changed in the space of two years.

Grug

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Any thought of a conspiracy reeks of mental midgetry.

Yes...it makes perfect sense that cricket Australia would concoct a conspiracy to end the career of one of their most talented, marketable and crowd-pulling players. :lol

CUCKOO!

If they didn't want him to play, they simply wouldn't select him, nor offer him another contract. There is no need to fabricate a false situation... Cricket Australia answers to no one but themselves. They showed that when they didn't offer Michael Bevan a new contract in deference to bringing in youth.

If it was about spin, they would have done so before dropping him from the Ashes squad, not afterwards.

I'm a biased Queenslander to the bitter fucking end, and even I have enough perspective to see that Roy has manufactured his own demise. It's a bitter shame really, he is one of the most entertaining cricketers I've ever seen, and according to a mate who lives in the same apartment complex as Roy in Bulimba, he is a great bloke too. He just lacks the committment and self-discipline.

artist

Banned
Zapages said:
Holland beat England in Twenty20... Amazing match in my opinion and a great upset for sure. :lol :lol :lol :lol
You are pakistani, right? :p Just before the match, Broad said England would win the T20 world cup and also the Ashes, couldnt have picked a wrong time for that comment. :lol

Grug said:
You're back to posting retarded pics again. Let me guess, the mods will chose to ignore your trolling again. :|

santouras said:
I really don't understand what irfan is smoking but it must be amazing stuff
Trying to start a circle-jerk?

Tim the Wiz said:
I think there's more than one measure of blame to go around here. You can't ignore the fact that Symonds allowed himself to take part in that activity when he knew he was under scrutiny, considering recent history. But it is clear that the selectors want to move away from Symonds now, which is extremely unfortunate as he's finally getting back into a good place with his cricket.

To be fair, he definitely should have had a place in the Ashes squad over McDonald, but with Marcus North up-and-coming in the Test arena and Watson in good ODI form, they probably didn't see it as much of a risk to ignore him. And now with this incident on top of it, it's hard to see where his next opportunity to get back into international cricket is going to come from.

Hard to believe how quickly his fortunes have changed in the space of two years.
Thank you, finally some objective opinion.

Grug

Irfan, chill friend.

Did I make any comments on whether Roy should have been chosen in the Ashes squad? In fact, I think he should have.

I was questioning your assertion that Cricket Australia would fabricate some sort of controversy in order to justify that decision.

Your quoting of Tim the Wiz's comments as some sort of validation of that statement (when he said nothing of the sort... selectors wanting to move away from Symonds /= conspiracy) seems a little disingenuous to me.

Secondly, my picture was a little light hearted humour, relax bud. I notice you chose to use that picture as an "escape clause" to avoid responding to the actual points I made. You even went as far to write off the post as trolling. Dissapointing.

Agree with irfan = objective.
Disagree with irfan = trolling?

Grug

Zapages said:
Holland beat England in Twenty20... Amazing match in my opinion and a great upset for sure. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Do they have a spinner in need of an Australian visa? :lol

legend166

Juding from Ponting's comments, it's pretty clear why they got rid of Symonds. His actions were having an effect on the younger guys they were bringing into the squad, and they didn't want it.

Now we just need someone to get into Phil Hughes' ear and tell him to stay the hell away from Sonny Bill Williams, Anthony Mudine et al. Hughes could be one of Australia's greats and would be a shoe in for the captaincy once Clarke finished up, so he needs to be careful.

Also, lol @ England. But wtf was Dirk Nannes doing playing for the Dutch?

People want Dutch?

Stuart Broad is the perfect storm. Talks up England's Ashes chances as he comes back into the form of cricket which saw him get hit for six sixes in an over; then proceeds to bowl the final over, where he missed run-out chances, dropped a skied ball, caused an overthrow on the last ball and, in result, his team lost the match.

England never fails to bring the :lol.

tri_willy

legend166 said:
Juding from Ponting's comments, it's pretty clear why they got rid of Symonds. His actions were having an effect on the younger guys they were bringing into the squad, and they didn't want it.

Now we just need someone to get into Phil Hughes' ear and tell him to stay the hell away from Sonny Bill Williams, Anthony Mudine et al. Hughes could be one of Australia's greats and would be a shoe in for the captaincy once Clarke finished up, so he needs to be careful.

Also, lol @ England. But wtf was Dirk Nannes doing playing for the Dutch?

People want Dutch?

think nannes also came from a dutch background hence his eligibility to play for the netherlands.

lol broad, ur last name speaks for yourself

artist

Banned
Rezbit said:
Channel 9's coverage is full of such failure!
Commentators or commercials, which is it?

I just bought a subscription to a dedicated stream for 18 bucks (complete tournament), pretty decent so far. Zero commercials and commentators are chappells, holding etc.

Australia post 169, which is a par score I feel. If Gayle misfires (good probability) its over for West Indies. This group (Australia, West Indies, Srilanka) btw is nick named Group of Death. :lol

artist

Banned
WI 50 for no loss in 4.1 overs, match on! Gayle just wacked the daylights out of that Brett Lee delivery. :lol Out of the ground.

edit: another big one. :lol :lol :lol

artist

Banned
They've kept the run rate at the same stratospheric levels, 121 after 10 overs. I guess even WI lose to Srilanka, they'll be through to the super eights based on NRR.

tri_willy

holy shit the windies are fucking destroying the aussies. fucking useless ponting clarke, bring back gilly and symo (fat chance!!!) :D

Zapages

First out for the Aussies... But still 131-1... :lol Great for West Indies!!!!
irfan said:
You are pakistani, right? :p Just before the match, Broad said England would win the T20 world cup and also the Ashes, couldnt have picked a wrong time for that comment. :lol
Yep, I am Pakistani. :)

artist

Banned
Bangladesh were looking promising in the first 6-7 overs but lost the plot there after wards. Still not a bad showing by them, they looked more promising in the warm up game against Australia where they fell short 30 odd runs chasing 214.

master15

Lack of search function is killing me, couldn't find this thread!

Dayum you Chris Gayle! Damm you to hell. By god was he smashing that ball with some significant force. I only saw the highlights but the ball was just flying off his bat just a tier under Nathan Astle's record breaking 200 against England some years ago.

Aussies are in some hot water...

legend166

Our bowling has always been the issue in 20/20. Having both Lee and Johnson in the side was a pretty stupid selection, I think. Too much of a risk of getting it wrong and being sent for plenty, which happened. I didn't see us bowling, other than highlights, but it looked like Lee was throwing down half-trackers at about 125kph :S

Grug

legend166 said:
Our bowling has always been the issue in 20/20. Having both Lee and Johnson in the side was a pretty stupid selection, I think. Too much of a risk of getting it wrong and being sent for plenty, which happened. I didn't see us bowling, other than highlights, but it looked like Lee was throwing down half-trackers at about 125kph :S

Twenty20 is just ridiculously different from longer forms of the game. If we insist on taking it seriously, we need to pick specialty sides suited to the format, not test bowlers for instance.

Its like comparing Rugby Sevens to regular 15 a side rugby. There is essentially no crossover between international sides between the two versions of the game because its so different.

Mitchell Johnson for example is more of an attrition bowler that works well at test level because it is the one uber-peach he bowls in every 20 deliveries or so that does the damage.

Puck

Banned
Pumped by the Windies, they were the much better team. Our bowling was average all summer to be honest.. NZ won a few games, as did SA, mainly due to extraordinarily ordinary bowling.

Bring back Warnie for the ashes.

Grug said:
Twenty20 is just ridiculously different from longer forms of the game. If we insist on taking it seriously, we need to pick specialty sides suited to the format, not test bowlers for instance.

This is true to an extent. The side should be more tailored to the format. Who knows what could have been if Symonds was there last night?

Grug said:
Its like comparing Rugby Sevens to regular 15 a side rugby. There is essentially no crossover between international sides between the two versions of the game because its so different.

That's taking it a bit too far. Spinners, especially, have proven to be just as essential in T20 as in Test cricket - perhaps more-so. (Kumble, Murali, Mendis, Warne, etc.) Good batsmen, too, can flourish in all forms. For every Laxman-lke failure you have a Dravid type experience. (played quite splendidly in this year's IPL) And, of course, a good all-rounder is worth his weight in gold (Watson last year for RR, Symonds this year for Deccan). Hell, Gayle himself is a fine player in all forms of the game, no matter which he prefers.

Edit: Jerome Taylor is another good example. Ripped up England in his home Test series earlier this year and scalped two wickets in the opening over last night. I don't necessarily disagree with your stance, but I don't view there being such a large degree of disconnect between T20 and other forms of cricket either.

artist

Banned
Srilanka pretty much cruising here, after Gayle, Dilshan tore a new one to Australia. Australia better pull out a miracle out of their asses or else its going to quite a backlash down under.

Btw, Ireland made it through to the super eights, must have stung for Bangladesh and any other teams that dont make it to the super eights.

edit: Dilshan gone, here's the chance.

Disappointing exit, but it wasn't exactly an upset or a shock or anything. Australia don't have much of a positive history in this format of the game. Their bowlers have just failed to adapt to the task at hand, and the batsmen - some of them who have had experience with performing well in T20 - failed, in general, to cope with Sri Lanka's bowling.

It's telling that an excellent spinner in all forms of the game won the game for Sri Lanka. Take a bow, Mendis.

As for Symonds, it'll be sad to hear him announce his international retirement - but I won't mind him reaping in the money as he globe-trots the world in T20 competitions.

Grug

Its nearly time.

Speaking as a 29 year old white middle class Australian raised on test cricket and descended from a transported Irish 'criminal'...

The Ashes is everything.

Even oxygen is a secondary concern in comparison.

Who wouldn't consider trading every ICC World Cup trophy or every hard fought win against our Kiwi enemy across the Tasman, just to erase the agony of that 2005 series defeat at the hands of the Empire?

As the Bodyline series showed... the Ashes is more than sport, it intersects the threads of our history, our culture and our political being.

That modest little urn represents so much... this isn't about prize money, or shining silver... its something far less tangible, but much more special.

To the winner... indescribable glory, to the loser, unimaginable anguish.

There is the Ashes... and then there is everything else.

ashesRIP.jpg
340x.jpg

bodyline.jpg

o69t77.jpg

flintofflee769131_1.jpg

flintoff2005.jpg

ashes_australia_fp_103651a.jpg

artist

Banned
Yup, now they have enough time to focus on the Ashes, something that England doesnt have after their wake-up call against Pakistan. Oh they could also try this:

cricinfo said:
Great win by Sri Lanka - top knock from Sangakkara, and Australia will now spend the next few weeks preparing for the Ashes in the delightful hamlet of Leicester. "Is there a plate competition for the smaller teams to get experience?" ponders Travis Basevi, formerly an Australian. "Scotland, Bangladesh, Australia and maybe the Dutch?" It's a good call. Well, what a day we've had - Ireland beating Bangladesh, and now Australia are out of the competition.
:lol :lol :lol

santouras

ah irfan, maybe one day your country will stabilise enough to hold your own tournaments and your cricket team will reach it's full potential. Until then I see you'll just make do by trolling the australian cricket team at every given opportunity. It must hurt to be second class for so long

Grug

Haha, deadset, can't even make a post about an upcoming tournament without Irfan exposing his insecurities.

The saddest thing is that he seems to hate Australia more than he loves India. If only he spent as much time talking about his own team as he does obsessing over another, he'd probably be able to fabricate the illusion of being an objective fan of the sport, rather than a habitual troll with a wombat in his britches.

Confused boy in need of emotional realignment.

Enough about that though, not going to give the troll the petty slanging match he so desperately seems to require.

Back to the Ashes, Sportingbet has the series odds as follows..

Australia: 1.65
England: 3.25
Draw: 6.00.

Odds seem seriously lopsided to me. Australia's squad is lacking considerably in experience and its going to be a real pressure-cooker atmosphere in England. If I was a betting man, I'd be tempted, especially at the prospect of a draw.

santouras

yeah seems like they've forgotten about our last tour of england.

also I'm absolutely stoked that SBS has the tv rights for the ashes and will be showing it live!

Grug said:
I
The Ashes is everything.

Even oxygen is a secondary concern in comparison.

Who wouldn't consider trading every ICC World Cup trophy or every hard fought win against our Kiwi enemy across the Tasman, just to erase the agony of that 2005 series defeat at the hands of the Empire?

As the Bodyline series showed... the Ashes is more than sport, it intersects the threads of our history, our culture and our political being.

That modest little urn represents so much... this isn't about prize money, or shining silver... its something far less tangible, but much more special.

To the winner... indescribable glory, to the loser, unimaginable anguish.

There is the Ashes... and then there is everything else.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Grug

santouras said:
yeah seems like they've forgotten about our last tour of england.

also I'm absolutely stoked that SBS has the tv rights for the ashes and will be showing it live!

Do they do their own commentary or do they just pick up an international stream?

Top Bottom