• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Façade

Neo Member
Prior gets another great delivery after the one he got from Siddle at Cardiff.

Johnson has been trying to get the ball to swing the whole day, resulted in him going for many a run though.

Grug

Well thats stumps.

The last session really made a game of this, but Australia will want to make quick work of the English tail tomorrow. If the tail wags again, the game will drift away from Australia again very quickly.

Looks like a bit of rain to come.

AAK

I just need to ask... if rain is such a problem... why not just hold the game in an indoor stadium???

Or even put an interchangeable roof on the current stadium?

Grug

AAK said:
I just need to ask... if rain is such a problem... why not just hold the game in an indoor stadium???

Or even put an interchangeable roof on the current stadium?

Because its just not cricket.

AAK

How is it not cricket? Aside from Afridi/Sanath hitting the roof a bit more frequently, it is the exact same game.

Grug

AAK said:
How is it not cricket? Aside from Afridi/Sanath hitting the roof a bit more frequently, it is the exact same game.

Test cricket under lights would just be wrong.

Not to mention that weather has always added an intriguing element to test cricket, time management strategy is a big part of it, along with the fact that variable conditions can do awesome things with the ball, reverse swing etc.

AAK

Aren't you sick of drawn games? Or even the ridiculous D/L methods screwing over one of the teams? Isn't it a valid trade off?

santouras

AAK said:
Aren't you sick of drawn games? Or even the ridiculous D/L methods screwing over one of the teams? Isn't it a valid trade off?

they've been experimenting with dusk and night test matches for a while but the biggest problem has always been the red ball at night. I remember a good twenty or so years ago they played sheffield shield games day/night with an orange ball, but it never got past state level into the international game

as for roofs on stadiums, thats serious, serious bucks, and you really would need to design the stadium with that in mind, as opposed to putting a roof on an existing stadium, and there's just not that much money in it. Wind is also a pretty major factor in bowling, with drift and swing all being influenced by it to a greater or lesser degree, and I wouldn't want to see that removed from the game.

AAK

santouras said:
they've been experimenting with dusk and night test matches for a while but the biggest problem has always been the red ball at night. I remember a good twenty or so years ago they played sheffield shield games day/night with an orange ball, but it never got past state level into the international game

What's wrong w/ using a white ball?

as for roofs on stadiums, thats serious, serious bucks, and you really would need to design the stadium with that in mind, as opposed to putting a roof on an existing stadium, and there's just not that much money in it. Wind is also a pretty major factor in bowling, with drift and swing all being influenced by it to a greater or lesser degree, and I wouldn't want to see that removed from the game.

I'm not saying make all of the matches inside an indoor stadium, but whenever there is a forecast for rain, make the preparations for having that specific match transferred to another location due to the forecasts.

And all that talk about how the weather affects gameplay... are you all serious? That is completely turning this into a game all about luck instead of raw skill and discipline between two teams.

Ah well, regardless, I'm just proposing ideas. I'm not even a real fan of cricket(I was kinda culturally obliged during my childhood to follow it). If the real fans (you guys) are satisfied, glad you guys are happy. I for one can never get over the fact how a team plays for 5 days straight and in the end there never is an official victor. And it also pissed me off how South Africa got knocked out of 2003 WC due to the D/L method and how WI were also knocked out partly because their games w/ Bangladesh and Zimbawe got washed out.

Limited Overs FTW

santouras

AAK said:
What's wrong w/ using a white ball?
white balls behave differently to the red balls, and deteriorate at a different rate, which is why they replace the one day balls after... 32 overs I think it is these days? whereas a red ball is used for 80 overs before it is replaced. I'm not just ignoring your suggestion, just saying that yeah, they are working on it, but it mostly comes down to getting a ball that behaves like a red ball but is visible, hence their experimentation with the orange ball earlier.

AAK said:
I'm not saying make all of the matches inside an indoor stadium, but whenever there is a forecast for rain, make the preparations for having that specific match transferred to another location due to the forecasts.
This isn't really feasable. I know of only one stadium in Australia where they could do this and they don't play cricket there regularly at all, it's an AFL stadium first and foremost. In England and other cricket playing nations I'm not even sure if they have completely covered stadiums that would be suitable to cricket? And even then if they had one, with the way the english weather goes they would play all their games there :)

AAK said:
And all that talk about how the weather affects gameplay... are you all serious? That is completely turning this into a game all about luck instead of raw skill and discipline between two teams.

The weather conditions play a massive part in how the ball moves through the air, and I would say that it only adds to the skill and discipline to know how to bowl in different conditions. The best bowlers in the world trouble batsmen when it is dry and when it is overcast and humid and more conducive to swing. And of course bowlers will want to bowl from certain ends where the wind helps their ball movement. Luck is always involved, but a skillfull team will always know how to use the weather conditions to their advantage.

tri_willy

good to see aussies edge back in the game. english had the first day due to their free flow of runs. aussies will be back in the game should the bowlers get those 4 wickets super quickly

Cant0na

Banned
yo whats this cricket thing. teach me.

we have this british kid in our class talking about how you have three sticks and rope around the grass and playing for 5 days but ending in a draw (fuck?)

and why do they wear them thick pads and crap? i though brits didnt like the padding in football cause "real men" play rugby without pads.......so do real men play Baseball without pads too?

Cant0na said:
yo whats this cricket thing. teach me.

we have this british kid in our class talking about how you have three sticks and rope around the grass and playing for 5 days but ending in a draw (fuck?)

and why do they wear them thick pads and crap? i though brits didnt like the padding in football cause "real men" play rugby without pads.......so do real men play Baseball without pads too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

Cant0na

Banned
And why is there an indian guy playing for England? can you buy players like they do in soccer (like they bought Ronaldo)?

why doesnt Australia have any black/natives

Cant0na said:
And why is there an indian guy playing for England? can you buy players like they do soccer (like they bought Ronaldo)?

People of Indian descent can be born in England. Sort of how people of Indian descent can be born in the US. (Ravi Bopara, the guy I think you're talking about, was born in London)

newelly87

Banned
You wear pads in cricket cause they bowl the ball at you, not out away from the body. There was one Aborigine in the team but he got dropped for getting on the piss to much on tour.

Cant0na

Banned
it says day 2 and england are still batting..........how long are they allowed to bat

whats an Onion? it says on BBC, extras 25 Onion 16, is that like a stat

Cant0na said:
why doesnt Australia have any black/natives

There were a number of talented Aboriginal players in the early 1900s. Unfortunately, because of the institutional racism of the time, they never went beyond state level.

I'm not too sure about now. AFL seems to be a more popular sport in the Aboriginal community, which is reflected in how many Aboriginal players have gone on to do well at the top level.

Of course, Symonds is of Caribbean descent (born in England, actually, but bred in sunny Queensland), and he was in the national cricket team until earlier this year. Before the last year or so, it would have been hard to argue against him being one of the best active all-rounders in the world.

Cant0na

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
There were a number of talented Aboriginal players in the early 1900s. Unfortunately, because of the institutional racism of the time, they never went beyond state level.

knew it, knew Australians are like that

Cant0na

Banned
It says Anderson is batting not out and i guess 24 is his runs, but it also says Onions is 16 not out and Extras is 25...............

How can the stat be Not out and Anderson is batting, is Onions the number of Extras the batter has?

mclem

Cant0na said:
It says Anderson is batting not out and i guess 24 is his runs, but it also says Onions is 16 not out and Extras is 25...............

How can the stat be Not out and Anderson is batting, is Onions the number of Extras the batter has?

There are two batsmen in play at any time. Onions happens to be the name of the second of those right now. Yes, the puns have flown thick and fast.

...except Anderson's just gone out. That's the tenth wicket (the tenth batsman out), which means the English innings (turn) has ended. Now there will be a break, then Australia will get their first innings. Two innings for each team over the whole match.

Cant0na

Banned
mclem said:
There are two batsmen in play at any time. Onions happens to be the name of the second batter. Yes, the puns have flown thick and fast.

2 batters? fuck :lol

Now it says Anderson is out and Onions is Not Out........but England are "all out".....if theres 2 batters why wont they let Onions continue?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Cant0na said:

onions is the number of lives he's got.

i'm just screwing with you :(

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Cant0na said:

YOU MISSED THE BLURN BALLS!!!! BLURN BLURN BLURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

mclem

Cant0na said:
2 batters? fuck :lol

Only one is bowled at at a time. Each time they run they swap places. There can be tactics involved in trying to do specific numbers of runs to ensure that a certain batsman is always on strike (bowled at).

Now it says Anderson is out and Onions is Not Out........but England are "all out".....if theres 2 batters why wont they let Onions continue?

You need two batsmen to play, Onions is the only remaining one.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Holy crap lol, this is far too entertaining.

How many onions do you think Australia will get before the 5th day?

Cant0na

Banned
mclem said:
Only one is bowled at at a time. Each time they run they swap places. There can be tactics involved in trying to do specific numbers of runs to ensure that a certain batsman is always on strike (bowled at).

You need two batsmen to play, Onions is the only remaining one.

Do they combine the runs from both innings for one score? combined total wins like baseball?

or is it like round based, (first 2 inn as round 1, who ever wins 2 rounds wins, if its 1-1 its a draw?)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Cant0na said:
Do they combine the runs from both innings for one score? combined total wins like baseball?

or is it like round based, (first 2 inn as round 1, who ever wins 2 rounds wins, if its 1-1 its a draw?)

Combined score for both innings, you don't always have to bat two innings as you may get a big enough score in one innings and like your chances at getting the other team out for low scores in both innings. Gotta manage your time in a 5 day test.

in other news : england gets a wicket :(

mclem

Cant0na said:

The score is the total runs from both innings, although there's a few special rules which means games can end other ways (For instance, if one side has a big-enough lead after the first innings they can force the other side to bat again straight away - if they can't catch up in their second innings, the game ends early without the leading team ever playing their second)

legend166

newelly87 said:
You wear pads in cricket cause they bowl the ball at you, not out away from the body. There was one Aborigine in the team but he got dropped for getting on the piss to much on tour.

What the hell, junior.

At first I was like "what the hell, Gillespie was dropped because he was bowling crap, not because he drunk too much." Then I realised you were talking about Symonds. Symonds was born of parents from the Caribbean.

mclem

Cant0na said:
Zomg i learned cricket !!!!!

Im gonna spit on all baseball playing peasants next time i see them

And now the advanced course: The Duckworth-Lewis Method. Guaranteed to strike fear into the hearts of anyone who attempts to understand cricket.

Cant0na

Banned
Onions was not out. the Australians couldnt get him, he's like rambo, he survived

Dont they have cheerleaders? they show like the pitcher walking back and the batter tapping the ground talking with the other one(lol) in between balls...........whats the point? show some bouncing tits

Top Bottom