• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

tri_willy

Grug said:
Thank god the Lions beat Fremantle last night. If they lost, the combined depression between that and this test match would have buried me. :/

well one depression has stuffed me up, should aussies lose, im just about fucked for the week.

england get straight to business and declare as play starts. nice move by strauss really as rain is likely to interrupt play at some stage in all likelihood

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
tri_willy said:
well one depression has stuffed me up, should aussies lose, im just about fucked for the week.

england get straight to business and declare as play starts. nice move by strauss really as rain is likely to interrupt play at some stage in all likelihood

We should all just migrate to the tour de france thread..

http://www.uksmallbusinessdirectory.co.uk/Uksbdchristmas/raindance.html <--- I propose we all start at 8:30 AEST

If it goes down, they'll be the first Australian side to lose at Lords since before WWII, right?

BTW, I'll only write them off if Ponting falls before they reach 200 or so.

legend166

Nice to see the umpiring hasn't changed in 4 years. Still in England's back pocket.

How does that not get referred to the 3rd umpire?

tri_willy

"What a relief," says Tom from Australia. "If it hadn't been for those two shocking umpiring decisions this morning, we would have actually had to admit that we were rubbish in this match - now we can just blame Rudi. Whew!"

:lol ahhh... cricinfo

Yagharek

Shocking umps. Both decisions wrong, and there was a catch sent to the third ump in england's innings. How convenient. Seems like the third ump needs to be fucked off quicksmart.

legend166

Now Hussey gets a dud decision, nothing on hot spot.

If Gavaskar or Inzy were playing, the batting side would have walked off by now :p

Edit: Yep, Snicko confirms it. Far out. Bring in referels now. This is becoming a farce.

legend166

Haha:

0,,6733680,00.jpg

artist

Banned
Just caught up with the proceedings of the day .. this test is still far far away from becoming England's Sydney Shame. Not discounting the wrong decisions.

Pachael

Clarke's looking towards a hundred that will right the ship a bit, but with 300 runs to go with 5 wickets remaining? I think most here are just waiting for England to mop it up :p

Pachael

185 runs for the sixth wicket and still going, 220 to go. Clarke deserved that hundred. It'd be really lol if England lose it from here ;p

legend166

If Clarke and Haddin are still in at lunch, it will be really, really interesting. Still Mitchell Johnson to come, and if we only need 100 at that stage, he could peel it off very quickly. Hauritz and Siddle can bat, so we'll see.

master15

That was a painful evening, no food at home staying up until about 5 am and seeing 3 extremely ordinary, almost careless umpiring decisions. Hussey I can understand because live I thought he did get an edge but the double standards when it came to referring decisons did seem pretty ordinary.

England will be pumped and still with a new ball in hand. If Australia can negate the first session without loosing a wicket then it may become interesting but I firmly believe England despite great partnership between Haddin and Clarke have the drivers seat by a country mile.

Grug

I think I hate the fact that we have regained the slightest sniff.

I'd already mourned and got over this game as a loss, even to the point where I was not letting those questionable umpiring decisions upset me.

Now that there is the faintest glimmer, its all there again, ready to dissapoint me again.

Pachael

Grug said:

I'd already mourned and got over this game as a loss, even to the point where I was not letting those questionable umpiring decisions upset me.

Now that there is the faintest glimmer, its all there again, ready to dissapoint me again.

A bit like England last Test on the fifth day.

Dead Man

Grug said:

Indeed. It's also a rest day on the Tour, so I don't have that to distract me. No sleep tonight.

Dizzan

MINI Member
If we (Australia) pull this off I will streak naked through Martin Place at lunch tomorrow.

Would have to be the greatest victory of all time but it's not going to happen
please be wrong

Rezbit

It sucks, I can only watch this for a few hours tonight as I have to get up early for work. Might be a good thing waking up to the result, mind you...

Kozak

Banned
Dizzan said:
If we (Australia) pull this off I will streak naked through Martin Place at lunch tomorrow.

please be wrong

Make sure you're junk is warm cause its going to be a colddd mornin'.

Salazar

Dizzan said:

please be wrong

Is that where those Sunrise fools have/had a camera ? Up the stakes in both temperature and exposure.

Yagharek

irfan said:
Just caught up with the proceedings of the day .. this test is still far far away from becoming England's Sydney Shame. Not discounting the wrong decisions.

Oh ffs. The Sydney test was lost by India's meltdown and Australia's attacking play. There was nothing suspect about it, replays even showed that the claimed catch was legitimate. Unlike one that one of the Indian slipsmen claimed earlier in the match.

Grug

Belter of a first over by Anderson. England are well up for this.

There will be no miracle.

Edit: And there we go. :(

Grug

RandomVince said:
I guess when you steal four wickets you can afford to be optimistic of victory.

Australia shouldn't have put themself in a position where a few umpiring mistakes cost them.

Ill disciplined bowling and shite batting led to this.

Yagharek

Grug said:
Australia shouldn't have put themself in a position where a few umpiring mistakes cost them.

Ill disciplined bowling and shite batting led to this.

And they had ten wickets at the start of their second innings, three of which given incorrectly out. You tell me how it would look now if they were only 3-317.

Grug

RandomVince said:
And they had ten wickets at the start of their second innings, three of which given incorrectly out. You tell me how it would look now if they were only 3-317.

Yeah I know. Looking at this test in isolation, we've copped a raw deal. It happens in a sport that is so susceptible to human error in umpiring. Over 100 tests though the errors probably even out.

The fact is, good sides (like Australia over the last decade) have to be absolutely clinical and disciplined in the way they play to ensure that when you have one of those days when you get absolutely reamed by the umps that you can withstand it. We simply didn't do that in this match.

I'm sure the players will realise that when they prepare for Edgbaston.

Yagharek

Its a shame that after this test the ledger wont reflect the way the series has gone. Australia should be 1-0 up already, but a lost session due to rain and english timewasting cost them that one. Now this test should have been a draw, despite the shit 1st innings and it will end up being 1-0 to the english side. Undeserved to say the least.

Grug

RandomVince said:
Its a shame that after this test the ledger wont reflect the way the series has gone. Australia should be 1-0 up already, but a lost session due to rain and english timewasting cost them that one. Now this test should have been a draw, despite the shit 1st innings and it will end up being 1-0 to the english side. Undeserved to say the least.

Yeah, but that's the unpredictable nature of sport. We did 99.9 percent of what was required to win in Cardiff, but we didn't get the extra 0.1 required to get the result. That's what the ledger shows. One team was better, but not better enough.

We can blame the weather, umpiring, timewasting etc, but thats what separates the men from the irfans. Just like in the Sydney test, India had 3 wickets to withstand one over by a part-time spinner, and couldn't do it. We had 12+ overs to get the wicket of England's 10th or 11th batsman and couldn't do it. It sucks, but thats sport.

That said, you should see me at an AFL game when the umps are screwing the Lions. :lol

Yagharek

Grug said:
That said, you should see me at an AFL game when the umps are screwing the Lions. :lol

Lions deserve it for the 1996 Qualifying Final ;)

But youre right; umpiring shouldnt ruin a game. I dont mind it so much in cricket when there is a balanced application of the rules - unlike this test match.

What I would like to see myself is no technology in Tests, but full technology use in ODIs and T20 matches. In Tests, let the umpires make the run out calls and bring back the benefit of the doubt in dubious catches or take the word of the fielder. If that was in play in this test match (taking the word of the fieldsman) then Hauritz's and Strauss' catches would have both been given out, rather than the third umpire being used for one but not the other.

We have an insanely popular form of cricket in T20, let Tests return to the purists model.

Grug

RandomVince said:
Lions deserve it for the 1996 Qualifying Final ;)

But youre right; umpiring shouldnt ruin a game. I dont mind it so much in cricket when there is a balanced application of the rules - unlike this test match.

What I would like to see myself is no technology in Tests, but full technology use in ODIs and T20 matches. In Tests, let the umpires make the run out calls and bring back the benefit of the doubt in dubious catches or take the word of the fielder. If that was in play in this test match (taking the word of the fieldsman) then Hauritz's and Strauss' catches would have both been given out, rather than the third umpire being used for one but not the other.

We have an insanely popular form of cricket in T20, let Tests return to the purists model.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the referral system personally. Looking forward to its permanent inclusion.

By the way, Fitzroy didn't play in the 1996 Qualifying Final. Are you talking about Wanganeen's choke against the mighty Brisbane Bears? :D

Top Bottom