• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
Cricinfo said:
This place has exploded! Australia cannot believe it, and every man in this ground is standing, applauding, cheering England's effort. Panesar can't wipe the smile off his face, and Australia, it's fair to say, look peeved, tired, exhausted and chastened. It's quite an unbelievable scene. "Tricky last couple of hours for us there," understates Anderson. "Amazing batting what he did today," says Monty of Collingwood. Moving on, quickly. But no, let's focus on Collingwood - an innings of such determination and grit to dig England out of a monumental hole.
The reactions are as if England won the test. :lol Inspite of putting up a shitty performance for 4 days, England will gain the most out of this test.

Grug

Pachael said:
Well, to win a match you generally need to bowl out 20 batsmen... not 19.

Indeed you do. And our bowlers were terribly inefficient and sloppy when bowling to the English tail. Ponting just throws them the ball, but after that, its up to the bowlers. Johnson was woeful for much of that last session, and Siddle couldn't bowl at the stumps to save himself.

In the first innings it was Siddle and Hauritz that allowed the tail to get the better of us. Captaincy decisions are the most visible and easily criticised aspects of a game, especially when the pressure is on. But Ponting can only do so much, and he has to rely on his bowlers lifting when required. They simply haven't done so consistently (and the games vs South Africa showed the same problem).

Its not captaincy. Its an young, exciting but still inconsistent bowling lineup that is our major weakness at the moment. Ponting is a great captain and leader though, and will manfully absorb the scapegoating that is sure to be aimed at him.

Colly deserves a gold medal the size of a bin lid after that performance. I still can't believe we managed to pull that off after one of the shittiest ever performances I've seen. Our entire bowling attack and top order batsmen were pathetically toothless.

It was some top drawer entertainment wathcing Monty holding on for dear life at the end, I was shitting my pants when them two were running between the stumps. Knocked into each other a few times as well. :lol

mclem

tri_willy said:
well fuck the aussies couldnt take out england. oh well, fucking english media will say aussies choked.

I've not seen any newspapers today, but my money's on them going with the "Colly saves the day" angle. At the moment he's the only batsman playing like a batsman on our side.

Salazar

I want a montage, set to appropriate music, of Ricky Ponting's sour and frowning moments in Test cricket. It would last for fucking hours, and it would make glorious, life-affirming tv.

legend166

Salazar said:
I want a montage, set to appropriate music, of Ricky Ponting's sour and frowning moments in Test cricket. It would last for fucking hours, and it would make glorious, life-affirming tv.

How about his 38 test hundred celebrations?

Yagharek

tri_willy said:
ponting will be australia's greatest run scorer by the end of the series if not by the end of the 2nd test.

And THE greatest run scorer at the end of his career.

Pachael said:
I remember how Australia couldn't get the tail out in *both* innings.

I remember Australia being ranked #1 pretty much uncontested since 1995.

tri_willy

RandomVince said:

I remember Australia being ranked #1 pretty much uncontested since 1995.

unless tendulkar plays til he's past 40, ponting will take a touch longer. hope punter can play for another 3 years at least

artist

Banned
Pachael said:
I remember how Australia couldn't get the tail out in *both* innings.
Yeah, thats a sour note for Australia from this test. Meanwhile English tail will be grinning like Monty until some one puts a rattle snake at their ankles. :lol

In other test news, Pakistan made one of the best comebacks in history and the test is now even.

Also Bangladesh managed a big upset against the West Indies, their second test win.

105944.jpg

RandomVince said:
Its not a lock, Ponting can get there but that means Tendulkar plays less or gets injured or hits a bad patch.

tri_willy

irfan said:
Yeah, thats a sour note for Australia from this test. Meanwhile English tail will be grinning like Monty until some one puts a rattle snake at their ankles. :lol

In other test news, Pakistan made one of the best comebacks in history and the test is now even.

yea, however that west indies team were most a bunch of domestic cricketers given the players strike thats going on atm.

in other news, fat freddy flintoff has announced retirement from test cricket

after this series

Grug

Just watching the Tour de France on SBS and saw an ad for the next test.

Dead set, the ad was even more embarrassing than their coverage.

Stuey McGill is more awkward than watching Basic Instinct with your grandma (yes I stole that joke from Scrubs).

Add in the fail of Greg Matthews and the rapist eyes of Damien Martyn... man its just so terrible. :lol

legend166

Woah woah woah, Flintoff is retiring?

That's....interesting. So closes the chapter of a vastly overrated test career filled with unrealised potential. He could have been one of the greats, but I guess his injuries got to him. You've got to wonder if his whole 'traditional boozy cricketer' lifestyle had an effect on his inability to keep his body right.

I mean, it's sorta sad Mitchell Johnson will probably go down as a better all rounder, statistically.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
And people wondered why I said the 2005 Ashes series was the greatest Test series we'll see in decades before it even hit the 2nd Test match. A lot of the blame needs to be put on the local media for hyping it up and shoving the late 2006 series as the greatest revenge ever when everyone saw the writing on the wall.

If Australia lose this year, all the greater and funnier.

Grug

legend166 said:
Woah woah woah, Flintoff is retiring?

That's....interesting. So closes the chapter of a vastly overrated test career filled with unrealised potential. He could have been one of the greats, but I guess his injuries got to him. You've got to wonder if his whole 'traditional boozy cricketer' lifestyle had an effect on his inability to keep his body right.

I mean, it's sorta sad Mitchell Johnson will probably go down as a better all rounder, statistically.

Flintoff is one of the great oldschool blokey cricketers unfortunately born 15 years too late.

Belongs in the era of the Boons, Bothams, Hughes, Gowers, Goochs, McDermotts etc.

artist

Banned
santouras said:
I hope you're not laughing at ponting there. it was disgraceful, doesn't matter who did it or who it was done against, it's a pathetic tactic. Same as was mentioned earlier in the thread, praying for rain is for cowards.
I'm laughing at the tactics obviously & Ponting's expressions are golden (his pensive/grimace looks are) and you can probably even figure out the abuse he's dishing out.

irfan said:
I'm laughing at the tactics obviously & Ponting's expressions are golden (his pensive/grimace looks are) and you can probably even figure out the abuse he's dishing out.

No doubt. The perpetual storm that has staked claim on Ponting's brow makes for engaging viewing.

Grug

Flintoff rumoured to be in talks with the Queensland Bulls.

Would be pretty exciting for us to nab Freddie. We could certainly use an all-rounder after we let Noffke go.

Rezbit

Well that would be something you've done right for a change!

EDIT: That reminds me, seeing Malinga have a trundle for Tassie in the T20 should be interesting! :lol

Façade

Neo Member
My first post here, no longer do I have to lurk in this thread wishing there were some poms in here :D

Pleased Onions is in and not Harmison. Regardless of how well Harmison has been bowling, he's let England down too many times.

Batting first as well, which is good, as I'll take another draw since we never win at Lords :/

Grug

CrinInfo said:
Shane Warne is back, returning from his Poker duties - back in the sense he's commentating for Sky TV, not back in the team, so we'll all be privy to some spectacular banter and sledging from him shortly.

Thank god for that. Five days of Botham, Atherton and Hussain circle-jerking was a bit too much to take last time.

Bit of green on that pitch, and with some cloud cover coming over. Definitely something there for the bowlers. Mitchell Johnson could be the danger man.

Façade said:
Batting first as well, which is good, as I'll take another draw since we never win at Lords :/

Just hope Bopara and Pieterson get in there quick. With the English openers, I don't find myself appreciating their technical proficiency, shot selection or stroke-play; I'm merely left disgruntled that I have to wait for the real thing. I'll give them another try today, but I doubt I'm laboring under a mistaken impression.

Façade

Neo Member
Tim the Wiz said:
Just hope Bopara and Pieterson get in there quick. With the English openers, I don't find myself appreciating their technical proficiency, shot selection or stroke-play; I'm merely left disgruntled that I have to wait for the real thing. I'll give them another try today, but I doubt I'm laboring under a mistaken impression.

Cook is technically very poor and is always fighting his weaknesses. Strauss is a much improved player, and though not a particularly eye-catching to watch, he is effective and has been in great touch since he got the captaincy. So I can't see Cook making many runs this series, but Strauss will.

Grug

Not a hell of a lot going on with this pitch.

A little uneven bounce and a hint of swing for Hilfenhaus. Apart from that, looking slow and vanilla at the moment.

Façade said:
Cook is technically very poor and is always fighting his weaknesses. Strauss is a much improved player, and though not a particularly eye-catching to watch, he is effective and has been in great touch since he got the captaincy. So I can't see Cook making many runs this series, but Strauss will.

Good assessment. Strauss is slotting the bad balls away comfortably. Cook, otherwise, looks decidedly horrific. Doesn't England have better openers than this guy?

Edit: The Johnson bashers at Cricket Web must be having a field-day. His technique tends to bring out some divisive views. I just hope he doesn't pull a "Jason Gillespie in Ashes 2005", though.

As for Cook, perhaps I'm being harsh (he's young with a decent Test average) but his lack of quality is being shown up here.

Top Bottom