• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

legend166

First 5 sessions, something like 15 wickets for 400 runs.

Next 5 sessions, 5 wickets for 500 runs.

I think the pitch has flattened out, guys.

legend166 said:
First 5 sessions, something like 15 wickets for 400 runs.

Next 5 sessions, 5 wickets for 500 runs.

I think the pitch has flattened out, guys.

You ain't kiddin'. England have a much better chance of the draw just from this partnership. I still don't think we can we it.

DeSo

Banned
Yeah, probably headed for the draw although an epic Aussie collapse tomorrow is not out of the question.

Salazar

Dead Man said:
Yep. Heading for a draw. Woo, test cricket! :lol

I sense sarcasm. This is a beauteous occasion. Be not scornful. England have grasped the tiniest dangling thread from the rope of salvation, and I'll not brook jokes about how fucking good it is.

Kryten

I'm a neutral when it comes to the Ashes and it's FASCINATING, I'm so glad we're getting it live here in NZ. GG England on today's solid batting from Cook and Strauss.

artist

Banned
What a fightback from England .. it was Australia's test to win on Day 3 .. its days like this when Warney's absence is felt the most.

Dead Man

Salazar said:
I sense sarcasm. This is a beauteous occasion. Be not scornful. England have grasped the tiniest dangling thread from the rope of salvation, and I'll not brook jokes about how fucking good it is.
Sincerest apologies. Insults are only offered to those with the fortitude to withstand them, and Test Cricket is very strong. It is probably nothing but the rose tinted glasses but it seems like there used to be less draws when I was younger. Even 10 years ago. That was what prompted my scorn, inaccurate as it may have been.

I do enjoy listening to commentators try and keep people interested, especially Mark Taylor.

Empty

if we can up the run rate a bit in this next session then i'm in favour of declaring and putting the australian batsman to the sword. the pitch isn't giving the bowlers anything, sure, but australia look torrid in the field, they'll be tired and even though victory is of course very unlikely, a few early wickets have the potential to shake their nerves going into test two.

Dead Man

Empty said:
if we can up the run rate a bit in this next session then i'm in favour of declaring and putting the australian batsman to the sword. the pitch isn't giving the bowlers anything, sure, but australia look torrid in the field, they'll be tired and even though victory is of course very unlikely, a few early wickets have the potential to shake their nerves going into test two.
Yeah, that would be the smart move, I think. I don't think that is what England will do though.

Empty

cook and trott opening up a bit now.

Salazar said:
True, but I am always pleased by the sight of a grumpy Ricky Ponting.

:lol i thought you were australian. what's with the england support?

Salazar

Empty said:
:lol i thought you were australian. what's with the england support?

Mostly Welsh, a little English, merely living in Australia.

I wouldn't support the Australian cricketers even if I had been born here. They've been a bunch of oafs for a long time now.

Dead Man

Salazar said:
True, but I am always pleased by the sight of a grumpy Ricky Ponting.
You live in the wrong country. But I don't rate Ponting as a captain, so I may empathise with you. Doesn't mean I want England to win though.

Empty

Salazar said:
Mostly Welsh, a little English, merely living in Australia.

I wouldn't support the Australian cricketers even if I had been born here. They've been a bunch of oafs for a long time now.

ah, i see. i was bemused as my experience sitting through seemingly endless waugh brothers double centuries, gilchrist sixes, warne and mccgrath five fors and england follow ons makes me wonder why anyone would choose to support us if they were australian. it is those wounds that make me relish innings like these, though.

santouras

legend166 said:
Don't know about that. Chances are it's still going to be a draw.
it will end up in a draw but to see australia only able to claim one wicket in two days then have england come out and immediately trouble the batsmen, and take a wicket...... So demoralising.

Dead Man

legend166 said:
Don't know about that. Chances are it's still going to be a draw.
Let them have their fun. :D They have waited a long time for this to happen in Australia. May as well let them get it out of their system. Our bowlers better show up at the next test though.

DeSo

Banned
Course it was done but that was an impressive half century by Punter. Hope it's a sign of things to come.

Salazar

One of the best things was that hollow git Geoff Lawson writing off Strauss's captaincy just before Strauss batted like a god.

Dead Man

Salazar said:
As if the ultra-bogan tatts weren't bad enough, he looks so damn goofy with a tache. Like Phil Neville, even.
The man cannot wear a moustache, that's true. I kept expecting to see a mullet sprout at any second. He needs to take a break, hope he can find some form before the series is over.

edbrat

one noteworthy record from that dead pool table of a strip is Cook taking Bradman's record for highest test run scorer at the Gabba, great to see an Englishman peg that one.

tho I dare say if the Don played on that pitch, we would prob be applauding the first four figure score in test cricket :)

Top Bottom