• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Papa

Banned
newelly87 said:
You make it seem like Clarke has a bad record, when he is in the top 10 Australians ever in batting average.

His stats are great, yeah, but he's inconsistent, which is not what you want at test level. Look at Watto's stats. They aren't the best but you'd pick him over almost any other batsman right now because of his consistency.

Clarke and Johnson both seem to be pre-occupied with trying to be like NRL bogans instead of the test cricketers we know they can be.

Papa

Banned
Salazar said:
Freddie can eat more, drink more, bat better, bowl better, and is not a douche.

I've got a lot of respect for Flintoff but how is Watson a douche? I can't think of any cricketer who's worked harder to get where they are. Sure, he may act like a clown whenever he gets a wicket but he's just excitable, that's all.

legend166

Salazar said:
Freddie can eat more, drink more, bat better, bowl better, and is not a douche.

Only the first two are clearly correct, and bowling depends whether you like someone who can deliver in bursts or consistency.

Freddie Flintoff is the king of the douches. By the end it didn't even look like the English team liked him judging by what Swann said.

Stats time!

Shane Watson: Averaging 40 with the bat. Has averaged 53 since he started opening. Is averaging 29 with the ball.

Andrew Flintoff: Averaged 31 with the bat. Averaged 32 with the ball.

If you asked me who I'd want in my team for one Test match, I'd take Flintoff. If you asked me who I'd want for 5 years, I'd take Watson, every day of the week.

Yagharek

You could say the same about ponting: the openers have been getting out too quick and he has come in either having to see off the new ball or only visited the pitch for 5 minutes before getting out.

They really have no excuse not to be blooding younger players like smith, hughes, doherty, paine, and no doubt a few others whos names escape me. England are clearly the better side right now, and its probably time to make the hard changes now or at the latest after the ODI WC.

Salazar

legend166 said:
If you asked me who I'd want in my team for one Test match, I'd take Flintoff. If you asked me who I'd want for 5 years, I'd take Watson, every day of the week.

I can accept this point of view.

I just think Watson's a bit of an oaf. Not on a Hayden or Warne level, but still an irritating doofus.

Grug

Well this both sucks and blows. :lol

If we manage to win the Ashes (looking very unlikely) it will be an escape act, rather than an act of superiority. We probably don't deserve to win.

Even if we don't lose a match, it's hard to see where the win will come from. If we lose a match, it's almost impossible to see where two wins will come from.

Rezbit

Just wanted to chime in and say my boy Hilfy was VERY HARSHLY TREATED. Dropped after one mediocre game in which the great majority of the team was shit? What the fuck. And all these batting fuckwits get a million chances? Fuck these selectors. Fuck them right in their fucking arses. Fuck!

Juicy Bob

Dead Man said:
Not sold out means no local TV coverage.
But I'm in Adelaide and I've been watching it on Nine all day? The TV listings were all messed up but it's been live on Nine here since it started. Odd.

Cue Salazar:

Dead Man

Juicy Bob said:
But I'm in Adelaide and I've been watching it on Nine all day? The TV listings were all messed up but it's been live on Nine here since it started. Odd.

Cue Salazar:
WAT! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My EPG had home maker shows listed all day!!

master15

I have to add I hated Shane Watson especially in his early play days.

I have warmed to him especially IPL season 1, where Warne used him well. Still can be an arse at times, but the biggest douche in cricket still remains Dion Nash from NZ.

Seemed to sledge after every ball even though the guy had zero talent :lol

Juicy Bob

Dead Man said:
WAT! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My EPG had home maker shows listed all day!!

Same here. But when I turned it on at 10:30, it was on. I wasn't even aware of any planned blackout today but then again I honestly hadn't been paying attention in the build-up. That sucks, man. :(

Dead Man

Juicy Bob said:
Same here. But when I turned it on at 10:30, it was on. I wasn't even aware of any planned blackout today but then again I honestly hadn't been paying attention in the build-up. That sucks, man. :(
It's all good, I'll make sure to check properly tomorrow. :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Matches at the Gabba weren't sold out and the whole 5 days was live on TV in Brisbane. Maybe they've toned that stupid behaviour down a bit.

Salazar

speedpop said:
Matches at the Gabba weren't sold out and the whole 5 days was live on TV in Brisbane. Maybe they've toned that stupid behaviour down a bit.

It took me a few goes to read this sentence and not associate the "stupid behaviour" bit with the "the Gabba" bit.

Salazar

Anyone know what Ponting was bitching about at Strauss at close of play ?

I mean, Ricky, if ever there was a moment to shut the fuck up :lol

DeSo

Banned
I thought it was Haddin and Strauss having words.

I know Anderson and Haddin were having words when Haddin was batting.

Salazar

Ah. A couple of reports are saying Ponting, and I was at the library minus tv when play closed.

I would have been sledging hard all day. Motherfuckers would have punched me out, never mind exchanged words.

Papa

Banned
Anderson and Haddin seemed to be joking around. Don't think there was any sledging between those two.

artist

Banned
Salazar said:
Anyone know what Ponting was bitching about at Strauss at close of play ?

I mean, Ricky, if ever there was a moment to shut the fuck up :lol
Wow, Ricky Ponting and Brad Haddin are having a fearful moan at Strauss, who has plenty to say back in return. Probably something along the lines of "look at the scorecard". It doesn't make happy reading for the home side. Just about perfect for the tourists on the first day of the second Test. Before play all the chat was about how much the bowlers would suffer on a flat Adelaide track but Australia got off to a horror start and never really recovered despite another excellent pair of innings from Hussey and Haddin.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2010-11/engine/current/match/428750.html
:lol

edbrat

thought this article nailed English sentiment after the first day:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...s-what-it-feels-like-to-be-an-aussie-today.do

So that's what it must feel like to be Australian. I had always wondered. That was the thought that popped immediately into my head, during the mad, bad first 15 minutes of the Second Test in Adelaide, as England went at their opponents like ferrets after a bad rat, reducing them to three wickets down for two runs with speed, relentlessness and clinically accurate bloodlust.

Thus: "Ah, yes, so 'this' is what it feels like to be Australian."

I'm not too optimistic yet, both sides bowling attacks have proved themselves capable of reducing the oppositions batting top order to rubble and I expect the Aussies to come out with all guns blazing today. Few things more dangerous than an injured Wallaby, if you can get your foot near its throat you press hard until its definitely dead and in an Ashes series that takes time. A good start but lots of work left to do.

Top Bottom