• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NFL's nightmare week continues: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not interested in the corporal punishment debate here as much as how this will shake out in the NFL. AP is a star, bigger than Ray Rice. And the photo evidence doesn't let people just use their imaginations like with Rice before the second video. How will they respond?

Fox318

Well if anyone has a felony they can join the National Felon League.

image.php

Not interested in the corporal punishment debate here as much as how this will shake out in the NFL. AP is a star, bigger than Ray Rice. And the photo evidence doesn't let people just use their imaginations like with Rice before the second video. How will they respond?

Would this count as "domestic abuse" as per their recently installed policy?

He'll get at least a year suspension, though I could see it being something like Vick and just be indefinite until he's shown evidence of rehabilitation. Regardless, like Rice, he's at an age where any suspension will likely end his career, at least as a starter.

Mesousa

Banned
This. I don't necessarily agree that physical discipline is the most effective deterrent, but these high and mighty posters who don't understand in some cases cultural or systemic methods persist through ignorance and that parental education can work wonders annoy the shit out of me.

Thing is a lot of things which would never be allowed to be defended on here(like wife beating) is also cultural but it seems insane that a defense force is allowed for this.

I come from a culture where child beatings are common,accepted, and promoted and guess what? I can still say it is child abuse and the people who do that to their kids are child abusers. I don't see this being such an outlandish claim.

Camwi

Man, I hope people aren't fucking defending this. I think beating your kids is bad enough, but this is a frigging MVP football player. I can't even imagine how hard he must hit, even after seeing those pictures. :/

gutshot

I did say based off of the "Fox News" report. Sorry I replied to the OP before reading the absolute entire fast moving thread. I did go back and find the other reports with pictures.

Your posts reminded me to update the OP with more links and info, so thanks for that!

Might I suggest that anyone who wants to dwell on spanking in general, and not the specific instance of straight-up abuse that is the subject of this thread, please search for the two excellent posts by soundfekahz and Dreams-Visions earlier in the thread which DO NOT condone physical discipline, but do offer insight into why it is/was a thing at all and the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the passing on subsequent generations.

Anyone who just wants to shit on posters for speaking about having been physically disciplined as kids, regardless of anything else they have to say, will not be tolerated by me (not that I'm anyone)

WarMacheen

Congrats on getting beaten with a wide assortment of objects, what do you want, a medal?

Why do people come into these threads talking (almost bragging) about how they were hit by their parents and therefore it's not a big deal. Yet if someone were to say that makes those parents child abusers, they would be banned, as we've just seen in this thread.

If someone was assaulted, and people came into the thread and said "I got beat up once, no big deal" would that be acceptable?
For what other crimes is that an acceptable reaction?
Perhaps a mod can explain.

If you would like to give me a medal, I'll add it to my collection.

Or perhaps you can read my other posts...on the same fucking page. Oh noes someone made a post about their experiences and the reading of the initial information at hand contained in the OP at the time..
Physical punishment was more widespread and more accepted where and when I grew up, which my post alluded to.

It's called perspective genius. How about you go outside and take a walk to cool off. Or maybe you should contact a mod over my obviously way out of line post.

Man, I hope people aren't fucking defending this. I think beating your kids is bad enough, but this is a frigging MVP football player. I can't even imagine how hard he must hit, even after seeing those pictures. :/

I don't know if anybody is defending what AP did. There is a side debate as to the effectiveness of corporal punishment and how far is too far, but I think everyone or nearly everyone would agree that this was too far.

Mully

Well if anyone has a felony they can join the National Felon League.

That's a bit much. Considering most of the people arrested in the NFL are for minor weed charges, I think it's silly to paint the entire league as a bunch of felons.

The league does have an issue with saving their image first and their fans, players, and wives of players second. The NFL is currently more worried about how they look than anything else, and that's a major problem.

I hope they become more transparent, but there's little evidence that's going to happen.

Mesousa

Banned
That's a bit much. Considering most of the people arrested in the NFL are for minor weed charges, I think it's silly to paint the entire league as a bunch of felons.

The league does have an issue with saving their image first and their fans, players, and wives of players second. The NFL is currently more worried about how they look than anything else, and that's a major problem.

I hope they become more transparent, but there's little evidence that's going to happen.

I think the biggest issue is the brain damage. Its been kind of swept under the rug but it is a major issue. I don't even see how parents can let their kids go into it now. The NFL is rotten from the ground up.

t26

Seeing bloody scars isn't enough?

Camwi

I don't know if anybody is defending what AP did. There is a side debate as to the effectiveness of corporal punishment and how far is too far, but I think everyone or nearly everyone would agree that this was too far.

Thanks for the summary, haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet. I think I'll stay out of that debate for now.

WarMacheen

Not for nothing, but didn't you just catch some shit for not reading the thread before you posted to it?

It's not moving that fast.

Different pages with information is substantially different from several posts on the same page, which are only a few posts apart.

The OP had the fox news report, there isn't a different link until the middle/bottom of page 3....a little different.

xbhaskarx

Or perhaps you can read my other posts...on the same fucking page.

I don't need to read your other posts. I read your post where you listed the items you were beaten with as a kid (a fucking switch, belt, shoe, spoon, phone, goddamn paddle with aerodynamic holes)
and then said "this seems weak."

Not for nothing, but didn't you just catch some shit for not reading the thread before you posted to it?

It's not moving that fast.

You can't apply the same standards to WarMacheen that he applies to others because he does alpha male shit.

I can see them giving him 6-8 games if he's convicted. A full season would be a huge surprise since it's only happened twice (Jonathan Vilma with Bountygate and the recent Josh Gordon suspension). And neither of those have held up.

WarMacheen

I don't need to read your other posts. I read your post where you listed the items you were beaten with as a kid (a fucking switch, belt, shoe, spoon, phone, goddamn paddle with aerodynamic holes)
and then said "this seems weak."

You can't apply the same standards to WarMacheen that he applies to others because he does alpha male shit.

Based on the picture less Fox New report, it did seem weak. Also I like how you relate my user name to the woman beating asshat. That hasn't been done before on this site, good on you.

Different pages with information is substantially different from several posts on the same page, which are only a few posts apart.

Not really. Either you're willing to see what the conversation is before you join it, or you're not. And if you're not, that's fine, but then it looks weird when you're going to call people out for possibly exhibiting the exact same behavior you just engaged in.

Either other people's words are worth something in a conversation or they're not. (shrug)

He'll get at least a year suspension, though I could see it being something like Vick and just be indefinite until he's shown evidence of rehabilitation. Regardless, like Rice, he's at an age where any suspension will likely end his career, at least as a starter.

I can see that happening quickly...which will again be inconsistent from the NFL, given that there are accused wife-beaters (one already convicted but appealing) playing right now, because the NFL and teams want to "let the legal process play out".

To be truly consistent, they'd have to let AP explore his legal options. Given the past week, though, not sure Goodell feels he can do that.

Edit: others have brought up the new domestic violence rules, which actually sounds like the way it will shake out.

I've always heard mythical stories about "The Switch". My parents used to say that if they were in real trouble, their parents would make you go get one yourself. Didn't think I'd ever hear anyone still doing that mess today, though.

Me and everyone I know seems to have gotten spankings galore when we were kids, but even that's getting outdated. I'm sure by the time I have kids, spankings will be as archaic as "getting the switch". While I got spanked for doing bad things when I was a kid, and I don't particularly look back on the experience negatively (it actually seems kinda funny now), I just don't see myself spanking any kids I might have... There are many more ways to go about discipline and bad behavior.

Seems to me that corporal punishment is just fading out, one generation at a time.

Mully

I think the biggest issue is the brain damage. Its been kind of swept under the rug but it is a major issue. I don't even see how parents can let their kids go into it now. The NFL is rotten from the ground up.

Brain damage is a huge issue.

Being a person with 14-20 concussions, I know what brain damage feels like. Reading aloud is really fucking difficult, and there's issues with balance once in a while.

The NFL and all contact sports leagues need to find ways to either prevent concussions, or create equipment that will prevent them from happening.

Concussions have made my life a bit more challenging the longer I'm away from the last one in 2010. Along with speech and balance difficulties, I've had a hard time focusing on one thing for more than 5 minutes.

The NFL and other leagues need to really enforce rules and equipment regulations to prevent them. I'd love to be the last person affected by them, but I doubt that's going to happen.

xbhaskarx

Also I like how you relate my user name to the woman beating asshat. That hasn't been done before on this site, good on you.

You chose to apply the username WarMacheen to yourself and you choose to keep it, what do you expect when you then say "this seems weak" regarding a 4 year old kid being beaten by a pro football player?

WarMacheen

Not really. Either you're willing to see what the conversation is before you join it, or you're not. And if you're not, that's fine, but then it looks weird when you're going to call people out for possibly exhibiting the exact same behavior you just engaged in.

Either other people's words are worth something in a conversation or they're not. (shrug)

Then someone should have read all of my posts before commenting...seeing as they all occurred before. I'm done with this ridiculous conversation seeing as how it's gone from the issue to my username. The kid was obviously subjected to this type of punishment several times and to such an extent that it left marks and cuts. Adrian gets what he gets.

Hitting wife two times=Suspended indefinitely
Repeatedly striking your kid=6 games?

That is not acceptable.

He should be gone for at least a season.

That indefinite suspension is pointless at this point. Rice isn't even on a team and no team is going to touch him this season.

Hitting wife two times=Suspended indefinitely
Repeatedly striking your kid=6 games?

That is not acceptable.

He should be gone for at least a season.

Well, isn't that as per the policy Goodell put in place just recently regarding Domestic Abuse?

If that's the case, for the first offense, you get six games.

(to be clear, I don't think that's a great policy, either. I'm more inclined to side with you that if you're getting charged with beating your spouse or your children you should lose at LEAST a season and spend all that time in some serious counseling)

Fox318

Roddy WhiteVerified account
‏@roddywhiteTV
I'm probably going to lose my fantasy football matchup this week cause all day can't play Sunday for disciplining his child Jesus help us

TA5Trwf.jpg

Mesousa

Banned
Brain damage is a huge issue.

Being a person with 14-20 concussions, I know what brain damage feels like. Reading aloud is really fucking difficult, and there's issues with balance once in a while.

The NFL and all contact sports leagues need to find ways to either prevent concussions, or create equipment that will prevent them from happening.

Concussions have made my life a bit more challenging the longer I'm away from the last one in 2010. Along with speech and balance difficulties, I've had a hard time focusing on one thing for more than 5 minutes.

The NFL and other leagues need to really enforce rules and equipment regulations to prevent them. I'd love to be the last person affected by them, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Man that is scary. The brain is such an important organ that I can't imagine what it is like when it is having issues :(

That indefinite suspension is pointless at this point. Rice isn't even on a team and no team is going to touch him this season.

How many teams are in line for a child beater though? AP is just as much poison as Ray Rice. I mean lets look at this.

This is a man, with a smirk on his face, sat back talking about how he does not believe in Gay Marriage because of what god says while out screwing everything that moved. A guy who had a kid he didn't even know about, yet felt no issue soaking up all the media pity when the kid was killed. He is an A1 grade-A scumbag who has padded stats playing for a team that built themselves around him and still sucked.

xbhaskarx

wow it's real:

Roddy White Verified account ‏@roddywhiteTV

I'm probably going to lose my fantasy football matchup this week cause all day can't play Sunday for disciplining his child Jesus help us

Mully

"Model," anything should be removed from language. No one is perfect. To blindly name someone perfect based on their public persona is just shallow and ignorant. People make mistakes and I think it's more important to recognize that than to adorn someone with the perfect role model persona.

wow it's real:

Roddy White Verified account ‏@roddywhiteTV

NFL players continue to weigh in with brilliant comments...

VontaLeach44 Verified account ‏@vleach44

I think if most people got disciplined growing up this country would be a better place.

I am so fed up with this bullshit...I can't even believe it.

Good god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom