• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Lynd7

hai guys , new to the N64 game , i recently bought my first (pal) N64 the other week , and now im enjoying a handfull of games (mario64 ofcourse , lylat wars (starfox) robotron64 , and mischief makers..)

But that controller man, its unusable for me. like, the worst i have ever held in my hands.

so, i ordered this Gamecube to N64 converter , which is programmable (to have a cod style setup for like, goldeneye etc) and its working like a dream.

11377288_10154003115291164_2012819043215776386_n.jpg

from http://www.raphnet-tech.com/ .. im not reading back a few zillion pages if this one is mentioned already somewhere but if it is, sorry. just thought to mention it, as now im in love with my n64 ;)

bonusvid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkJrpje3dI

Cool.

Whats your problem with the controller? It's not that bad, it's completely useable for me.

v1perz53

Cool.

Whats your problem with the controller? It's not that bad, it's completely useable for me.

I loved the N64 controller as a kid, thought it was perfect and that the three prong design was really cool. But as an adult, the controller has a bunch of problems. Obvious number 1 is that the joystick is garbage. Even a perfect condition stick is just no accurate or sensitive enough. Otherwise, I find my hands to be too close together to be fully comfortable using it, they cramp a bit after a while. I do like the Z button as a trigger though.

Fully useable controller, but as someone who loved it as a kid, as an adult the GCN controller is 10x more comfortable. Though I doubt I could ever use a GCN controller on my N64, I really dislike playing most N64 games without the full 4 C buttons, using a stick in place of buttons never feels good and so many games rely on those as 4 extra buttons.

FSLink

Banned
I loved the N64 controller as a kid, thought it was perfect and that the three prong design was really cool. But as an adult, the controller has a bunch of problems. Obvious number 1 is that the joystick is garbage. Even a perfect condition stick is just no accurate or sensitive enough. Otherwise, I find my hands to be too close together to be fully comfortable using it, they cramp a bit after a while. I do like the Z button as a trigger though.

Fully useable controller, but as someone who loved it as a kid, as an adult the GCN controller is 10x more comfortable. Though I doubt I could ever use a GCN controller on my N64, I really dislike playing most N64 games without the full 4 C buttons, using a stick in place of buttons never feels good and so many games rely on those as 4 extra buttons.

The adapter allows button mapping so you can move most things around and still have it be comfortable (Smash 64 moving C buttons for jump to X and Y for example).
For the 2D games I keep around an N64 controller though.

v1perz53

The adapter allows button mapping so you can move most things around and still have it be comfortable (Smash 64 moving C buttons for jump to X and Y for example).
For the 2D games I keep around an N64 controller though.

Oh yea, most ways to play N64 games on other controllers have similar options, like the Wii/Wii U VC. It works great for games like smash where some of the c button functions are repeats, but I find it doesn't work as well for games where each button does a different action based on their position (like Snowboard Kids) or where there is an onscreen UI showing each button and what it does (like Zelda games). For both of those cases having the C buttons grouped together and in the orientation they belong in is helpful for me to avoid my brain and hand getting confused.

Though this GCN adapter does sound really cool, quite well thought out and realized with all the features it has.

Lynd7

By any chance did you use one as a kid? As someone who didn't have an N64 until recently, the controller is super wonky

Yeah I did.

I just don't think its all that terrible now though, you might have to adjust, but it's still fairly comfortable to me. The original analog stick wears out, but, a like new one works just fine. Most work arounds or replacements don't offer the right level of sensitivity, so sometimes fine movements are harder and more jerky. I don't know if the Cube controller via an adapter will cause the same issue though.

Another controller option is to buy a Hori Mini, although they can be kinda pricey these days.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Not quite Gamecube component cable level, but I'm still happy! The lady friend thought I was slightly off my rocker for being excited about getting a new A/V cable, haha, but N64 games look really good now! I've still yet to test it with my Gamecube and I'm going to stick with SCART for my SNES.

I don't think those screenshots will do justice to how good the picture looks on my Sony PVM

Timu

Not quite Gamecube component cable level, but I'm still happy! The lady friend thought I was slightly off my rocker for being excited about getting a new A/V cable, haha, but N64 games look really good now! I've still yet to test it with my Gamecube and I'm going to stick with SCART for my SNES.

I don't think those screenshots will do justice to how good the picture looks on my Sony PVM
What were these direct feed pics taken with?

BTails

Doing a bit more collecting lately, bought some N64 games from Terrisus in the BST thread, and I can't wait for them to show up! Also picked up another controller on eBay from Japan; it was about 50% cheaper to import one than buy one locally, and based on my experiences with Japanese retro games, I'm guessing it'll be in better condition than a North American controller.

Planning an N64 night with my buddy soon: on the docket (besides beers) are Gauntlet Legends and Goldeneye.

terrisus

Got any more N64 games for sale? :)

Yup =)
Although, the list is getting down there now, as a bunch of them have been snapped up already >.>

I don't want to advertise in other threads, but you can check out what I have in my B/S/T post, here, and shoot me an offer for whatever interests you =)

For what it's worth, many of those games were purchased new by me and I've been the ony owner of.

shanafan

Based on my setup, I am considering going with a s-video cable for my N64. Looking on eBay, there is a generic one for <$5, but I see Monster cables going well above $50.

Is there really a difference?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Based on my setup, I am considering going with a s-video cable for my N64. Looking on eBay, there is a generic one for <$5, but I see Monster cables going well above $50.

Is there really a difference?

I actually started doing a series of videos on my YouTube channel showing the difference in cables between various console and I did one for the cheap eBay S-video cables versus the purple Monster cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWLPnCTpBz0

Rongolian

Banned
I actually started doing a series of videos on my YouTube channel showing the difference in cables between various console and I did one for the cheap eBay S-video cables versus the purple Monster cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWLPnCTpBz0

Subscribed! I've always been really curious if someone could do side-by-side comparisons like this for different Framemeister settings also, like using some of these presets: (found at the bottom of the page)

http://www.firebrandx.com/pixelpurist.html

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, great job with the video. It looks a little washed out with the generic cables. More refined blacks with Monster cables.

Thanks man! Yeah, that was pretty much the same conclusion I landed on as well. If you can stand the picture being slightly washed out or if you have a TV that you can correct it on, I think they'd be totally fine to use in place of the Monster cable though!

I want to RGB mod my N64 to see how much better it looks than S-Video.

Subscribed! I've always been really curious if someone could do side-by-side comparisons like this for different Framemeister settings also, like using some of these presets: (found at the bottom of the page)

http://www.firebrandx.com/pixelpurist.html

Thanks dude! Yeah, I could look into doing that. I'd probably choose a different console to do comparison videos with though, haha. The N64 is kind of rough looking these days.

Any impressions of Aero Gauge? I got a complete copy in good shape and it arrived yesterday. Not sure when I'll get a chance to give it a shot but figured I'd see if anyone else has any impressions on it.

Type_Raver

Apologies to those that may have seen this post in the SNES collection thread, but thought id share this to those for the n64 games.

I've finally had time to unpack some boxes and setup the man cave, the collection of games and Lego's from my childhood days as well as recent pickups for the gaming collection. Heres a snapshot of the section of shelves for my Nintendo games games over the generations.

a>

Cropped out of view above the area, are the Nintendo consoles. Cropped out of view below are the 80s-90s Lego sets.

TheMoon

Apologies to those that may have seen this post in the SNES collection thread, but thought id share this to those for the n64 games.

I've finally had time to unpack some boxes and setup the man cave, the collection of games and Lego's from my childhood days as well as recent pickups for the gaming collection. Heres a snapshot of the section of shelves for my Nintendo games games over the generations.

a>

Cropped out of view above the area, are the Nintendo consoles. Cropped out of view below are the 80s-90s Lego sets.

All I see is that Enter the Matrix box in the corner :D

Hey asshole rookie eBay seller, don't ship a sealed N64 game in a bubble mailer!
Time to request a return. sigh

I specifically gave them instructions to ship in a box during my checkout, as I do with most valuable soft-boxed games.

TheMoon

Hey asshole rookie eBay seller, don't ship a sealed N64 game in a bubble mailer!

I specifically gave them instructions to ship in a box during my checkout, as I do with most valuable soft-boxed games.

Wow, that person must be incredibly stupid. I got no tolerance for that.

Hope you get your money back.

Ugghhhh....That is so aggravating. I'm sorry man. That's rough when you are excited to add a nice piece to your collection and find it's damaged because the seller is too lazy, or cheap, to ship in a box.

Any boxed N64 game should be sent in a bubble mailer whether it's new or not, but being new makes it even less forgivable.

Wow, that person must be incredibly stupid. I got no tolerance for that.

Hope you get your money back.

He surely will if he opens a case. eBay sides with the 99.9999% on damaged items or items not as described. It's essentially an open and shut case from their perspective.

DomLando

So I recently got the urge to play some old school games. What are my best options for playing N64 games with a HD TV?

Is it going to look pretty bad on any HD TV? I have a Sony LCD.

So I recently got the urge to play some old school games. What are my best options for playing N64 games with a HD TV?

Is it going to look pretty bad on any HD TV? I have a Sony LCD.
It's probably unlikely but if you have S-Video on the back of your TV it'll make a decent difference but it'd be worth checking your TV supports the N64 resolutions on composite before buying a cable.

Dizzy-4U

Does anyone have experience with 3rd party analog sticks? This is the one I'm looking right now:

According to the auction they are Hyperkin. I need to replace like 5 controllers but I'll pass if the quality is crap.

Okay, so I'm trying to play Shiren the Wanderer 2 for N64, but how in the world do you save your progress in this game? Is my cart messed up or am I just missing something, because I can't figure it out... or do you have to play the entire game in one sitting? That doesn't sound likely.

Okay, so I'm trying to play Shiren the Wanderer 2 for N64, but how in the world do you save your progress in this game? Is my cart messed up or am I just missing something, because I can't figure it out... or do you have to play the entire game in one sitting? That doesn't sound likely.

I'm not familiar with the game, but maybe you need a memory pack? You know, the ones that go in the controller?

I'm not familiar with the game, but maybe you need a memory pack? You know, the ones that go in the controller?
No, that's not it; I do have a complete copy of the game and it makes no mention of the controller pak on the cover. Also the game has a battery (I opened my import N64 games to see which have batteries and which have chips for saving, for those with on-cart saving; if I remember right, Shiren 2 was one of the few with a battery...) in the cartridge and it came with a file on it that I managed to delete sort of by accident through choosing options on the main menu, so that's to the problem. Either I messed something up, or I just don't know what I should be doing.

So, on the main menu there are three options. The first starts a new game, in one of the two slots you can select. The second starts some auto-demo thing. And the third goes into options, where the first option... I don't know, delete file or something? And teh second is back, maybe. Before deleting the files I got stuck somewhere in this menu, because there were a lot more menu options in the main menu before , either because of postgame stuff or because they appear when you have a real save file, or something, I"m not sure.

Ingame, when you pause (hit any C button), the first option is your inventory, the second is status or something, the third (once it appears once you reach the town and start the game proper) shows your progress in the main quest (building a castle), and the last is options. Here the first option seems to quit back to the main menu without saving, the second shows controller settings, the third restarts you from the beginning of the game, and the last opens the options menu -- analog stick on or off, map on or off, etc.

So yeah, I am missing something and need help. :p

Jesus Christ. Boxes aren't even that expensive. Dirt cheap bought in bulk or like .59 a puece at Walmart. Sad sad sad.

cacildo

That seems... hard to believe, at best.

Well, the list of playable games is huge, but dosent mean all games are playable

Even when a game is playable, every game has at least small problems. But even so, its looking good.

The thing that really impresses me is how pilotwings looks TERRIBLE in my real n64 and how it looks GREAT in the wii emulator

(I mean, aside the fact that a few seconds playing the shadow of the hanglider turns into a giant black triangle)

Ill test my other games side by side with the emulator later and post some pictures

Also, its a beta, and the next official version theorically should fix more stuff and to be out "soon"

(Im really impressed because the last time ive tried n64 emulation on wii it was a disaster. Nothing was playable - except tetrisphere)

Top Bottom