• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Teknoman

Cool, the only racing games i've got for 64 are F-Zero X, Mario kart 64, and Beetle Racing (which is more awesome than it has any right to be lol). I've always wanted to check out Cruisin, but got turned off for some reason.

Looking at the videos, its really got that Midway arcade feel.

EDIT: Now i'm torn between World and Exotica. On one hand, World seems like a better balance between crazy and regular racing...and its got a moon stage. But on the other hand, Exotica has Dinosaurs.

EDIT2: Wait Exotica has Mars? Damn it.

Spades

Always wanted to play Beetle Adventure Racing back in the day, but never got around to it. And I still haven't. I should make amends.

Celine

Cool, the only racing games i've got for 64 are F-Zero X, Mario kart 64, and Beetle Racing (which is more awesome than it has any right to be lol). I've always wanted to check out Cruisin, but got turned off for some reason.

EDIT: Now i'm torn between World and Exotica. On one hand, World seems like a better balance between crazy and regular racing...and its got a moon stage. But on the other hand, Exotica has Dinosaurs.

There are better racing games on N64 than Cruise In series of games IMO.
Check out Wave Race 64, World Driver Championship, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, Wipeout 64, San Francisco Rush/Rush 2/2049, Ridge Racer 64, Top Gear Rally/Overdrive, Diddy Kong Racing.

Teknoman

There are better racing games on N64 than Cruise In series of games IMO.
Check out Wave Race 64, World Driver Championship, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, Wipeout 64, San Francisco Rush/Rush 2/2049, Ridge Racer 64, Top Gear Rally/Overdrive, Diddy Kong Racing.

Oh yeah and Wave Race 64. Dunno how I forgot about that...thats one of the few N64 games i've had since when it was new.

Just get both of them. Exotica is better, but World is fun too, and they aren't too expensive, are they?

The Cruis'n games are't some of the best racing games series on the N64, but they are decent fun if you want a very simple Outrun-esque point-to-point racing game. For something with more depth, San Francisco Rush, San Francisco Rush 2049, Excitebike 64, Top Gear Rally, Hyper-Bike, and Overdrive, Beetle Adventure Racing, and more are better choices. But I do enjoy the Cruis'n games, if for fairly short amounts of time per play.

putermcgee

I ended up buying the console and controller separately at two different shops, and the controller was more expensive than the console itself! I'm happy to be playing my favorites again, so I'm not upset about the price.
Fh5639N.jpg

mzupeman

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty nuts how the actual hardware itself isn't worth much, but a controller in great condition can go for just as much as a console itself.

I won't complain, though. The cheap pricing has allowed me to grab two N64's over the course of 6 months, since my ultimate goal is to have a playable console of all my old favs, and then backups waiting in the wings in case another console dies.

Fox Mulder

I'm still vehemently #teamcrt but none of my CRTs have HDMI. Maybe it's time to track down a KD-34XBR or somesuch for this, lol

Crts are great, I love my huge pvm. Still, excellent emulators and console mods to look nice on hdtvs will have to take over eventually.

Can't even rely on something like the VC since it barely scratches the surface of all the old console games out there.

Recently brought out the old n64, only to realise a bunch of my favorite games are missing. Lost, stolen, evaporated, i have no clue. The one game i wanted to play again was Conker's BFD, which is lost of course. Goddamn at those ebay prices on this game! Wtf..

Think of this as a preview of a review I might write once I've played the game more. :)

Bomberman 64 (Japan, 2001) - I beat the short and not-too-hard Bomberman mode in this game today. Remember, this is entirely different from the American Bomberman 64 game that was called Baku Bomberman in Japan. That game's good too, for sure, though. But for this game, this entirely 2d, sprite-based 2001 N64 Bomberman 64 game has four modes: Bomberman, Panic Bomber, Samegame, and Bomber Park [aka Bomberman Land]. It's got variety, then, but not depth -- none of the modes have the full variety of modes and options that they do as stand-alone games, unfortunately.

First, Bomberman, The Bomberman game is very short and lacking in challenge. It does have reasonably good replay value, though -- the game uses a branching level tree, Outrun-style. At the end of each stage you can choose to go up or down, depending on which exit you take. So, each game is only half an hour long, but at least when you replay it you can see different stages. Still, there isn't as much here as in many other Bomberman games, and it's not as hard either. I've never beaten a traditional Bomberman game, but I beat this one in an in-game time of 32 minutes, playing it today, and it's only the second time I've played the game. I like the visual variety, as each vertical slice of stages has a new tileset, and there is a nice variety of enemies, but with only 10 stages per play, even with a handful of routes this won't have the length of play of even one of the shorter, later Super Bomberman games, I don't think. At least it looks nice and plays well, though, which makes it quite fun! I like the '00s-style Bomberman here, he's cute without the annoying cutesey sound effects of, say, Bomberman Generation (Gamecube). I like the look better than Super Bomberman 1 or 4. But... there are few bosses, you keep your bomb range and drop number powerups after you die, and there are only 10 stages per game, so it really is short and relatively easy. Still though, I had fun and will definitely play it again to try to improve my time and see another route.

Of course, it's also got fantastic classic 2d Bomberman multiplayer, that would be great here I'm sure!

As for the other modes, I haven't beaten them yet (or in one case you can't), but I can say something. Panic Bomber has only vs. human (1-4 player) or endless, no vs. CPU story mode. It's a solid match-three puzzler with some twists, but visually is a bit bland, and if you want the full experience you need to get the Turbo CD and/or SNES Panic Bomber games (or the Virtual Boy version, for the only release with English-language story text, but get another one to play multiplayer because of course the VB doesn't have that). This is a good game and I can definitely see it getting addictive, but I wish it was the full game as seen before. There are two tilesets for the blocks available. Samegame is similar -- it's a stripped-down version of Samegame, with many fewer options than Hudson's feature-rich Super Nintendo Samegame title (Japan-only release). You've only got one mode, 'clear all the blocks', and only one tileset. The only option is field size; there are four available, small to large. Samegame is a deceptively simple game. It looks really easy at first, but actually clearing a board is tough! I rarely manage it. Samegame has only one graphical tileset, and it's barely Bomberman-themed. And last, Bomber Park is a Bomberman Land-style single player minigame collection, where you wander around a theme park as Bomberman and challenge the various minigames. There are maybe 15 minigames here, and most have two difficulties to challenge, so there is some variety but not nearly as much as in the full Bomberman Land games on PS1, PS2, GC, Wii, DS, and PSP. (The US only saw the DS and Wii games, and not the rest). Some of the minigames are better than others of course, but it's a fun mode to have. I like some of these, and the theme-park theme works. Of course I wish the people were talking English instead of Japanese, but ah well. This is the only mode with any language barrier, but thankfully most minigames are easy enough to understand, though you do lose out on understanding what the people you can talk to around the park are saying.

The game has no options beyond changing the tileset for Panic Bomber mode, either -- no difficulty settings, nothing. There is a high-scores screen, though, thankfully. The game keeps track of your five best times in Bomberman mode (with name entry), the five best scores in Panic Bomber (with name entry), the one best score in each of the four Samegame map sizes (with just the scores, no name entry), and the best score on each minigame in Bomber Park (with just the scores, no name entry). I would have liked to see name entry for all modes, but what's there is good.

So overall, how is Bomberman 64 (2001)? Well, it's okay. The main draw here is just playing these games on the N64, because there are no other N64 Samegame, Panic Bomber, Bomberman Land, or classic 2d Bomberman games, while this has all four of those games in one. However, the stripped-down nature of each game, with few modes and options, does hurt it. In single player, unless you really get into getting better scores, I don't think this game will hold most peoples' interest for long. Of course though, as a multiplayer game it is surely fantastic. 2d Bomberman is a great party game, and this has a great version of it! And 4-player Panic Bomber is great to see as well; the N64 has only a few 4-player puzzle games like this. The other two modes are single player, but the two multiplayer modes both could easily take up lots of time, no problem. But as a single player game, I would have liked to see more.

jonno394

damn these retro threads are not good for my wallet, reading through really wants me to dive in, got to take a step back though seeing as I'm on the GB/GBC/GBA.

Just a quick question, as a UK gamer would you recommend me buying a UK N64 and getting a passport/convertor to play NTSC games, or just skip the UK console and buy a US console/NTSC games?

Rich!

damn these retro threads are not good for my wallet, reading through really wants me to dive in, got to take a step back though seeing as I'm on the GB/GBC/GBA.

Just a quick question, as a UK gamer would you recommend me buying a UK N64 and getting a passport/convertor to play NTSC games, or just skip the UK console and buy a US console/NTSC games?

Speaking as a UK gamer

Get a US console

SmZA

You can get either a US or JPN console since it can be easily modded to play both.

If you get one without a power supply you can buy a new one locally and not have to worry about power conversion.

hey, folks. curious if all N64s have the same outer casing. Basically I want to replace my grey N64 casing with a nice translucent and colorful one.

Mercutio

Figure I can use the same controller ports, no? Are they difficult to seperate from the outer shell?

They pop out easily with the board, and there's no reason to take them off unless they're broken.

Alas, one of mine is chipped and while it works, a hole appears inside my soul every time I see it. A blight on my otherwise perfect RGB'd N64.

They pop out easily with the board, and there's no reason to take them off unless they're broken.

Alas, one of mine is chipped and while it works, a hole appears inside my soul every time I see it. A blight on my otherwise perfect RGB'd N64.

that would bug me endlessly lol. Thanks for the info, seems pretty trivial to do the swap. Like I said, I'll probably do it when I get my RGB mod installed. I'll have to be on the look out for a broken N64, though, since broken translucent ones seem to be a bit hard to find for whatever reason.

Mercutio

that would bug me endlessly lol. Thanks for the info, seems pretty trivial to do the swap. Like I said, I'll probably do it when I get my RGB mod installed. I'll have to be on the look out for a broken N64, though, since broken translucent ones seem to be a bit hard to find for whatever reason.

I find translucent cases broken all the damn time though. Seriously, every time I see the green one for a good deal, I don't have to look long to find major cracks running through it. I can only assume that whatever plastic they used for them as crazy brittle in comparison to the original system.

That had way more detail than the N64. I assume N64 used a predecessor chip?

I don't know the relationship between the chips, or if there was one. There was an SGI workstation in the N64 dev kit, but I don't think it was an Onyx. But I'm sure the N64 in the demo reel there is just a little joke, and a nod to their relationship with Nintendo.

AmyS

That had way more detail than the N64. I assume N64 used a predecessor chip?

It wasn't meant to show what Nintendo 64 could do. Just that they placed a model of the console in the demo. InfinityReality (10+ million polys/sec) used a lot of boards each with many processors. IR was the successor to RealityEngine ( ~1 million polys/sec. Nintendo 64 brought home video games a fraction of RE's graphics performance for a tiny fraction of the price. $100,000+ vs $200!

Top Bottom