• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Fox Mulder

I fond a remote control looking racing controller. I assume it's for better analog steering like the odd ps1 controllers.

Is this any good? Gonna try it out later.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Just google retron5. The good side is it upscales the old games to hd. The bad side is you will have to own the carts that have become expensive these days.

Salty Hippo

I have just downloaded PJ64 2.2 and I'm having trouble with it. It doesn't save my 360 controller configuration (I'm checking the Xinput box) and it doesn't save my ROM directory. Every time I open the emulator I need to navigate a long ass path to the folder.

Also pressing F4 doesn't toggle fps limit on and off anymore. I like to use this to speed up some boring parts of the games I play. Does anyone have any idea how to solve these issues? I'm using all the default plugins.

finding truth in this post was like an old where's waldo puzzle, so that was fun
I mean, he's right in that you have to own the cartridges, at least.

I'm not entirely sure what post he's replying to here, though. Didn't see anyone talking about the consoles Retron5 supports (i.e.: not the N64).

IrishNinja

i mean...you could! N64 carts that might get you steak & cognac in 2015:

Ogre Battle
Conker's, for whatever reason
Starcraft i guess
that one Clayfighter game nobody wants
dot dot dot

Mercutio

Ogre Battle
Starcraft i guess
dot dot dot

Oh. I just realized I don't have many N64 carts. I'll trade my Neo Geo and PCE collection in at GameStop and get some. Then the steak and cognac will commence!

Ogre Battle
Starcraft i guess
dot dot dot

isn't majoras mask also getting up there? tbh I haven't checked since the 3DS game came out so it may have dropped, but it was starting to get a bit iffy.

bomblord1

Banned
Question, how do you backup N64 games for emulation? The link in the OP leads to a site that says they have quit producing them. There's a link to a partner site but they only carry SNES/Sega system cart readers.

jonno394

Question, how do you get N64 games for emulation? The link in the OP leads to a site that says they have quit producing them. There's a link to a partner site but they only carry SNES/Sega system cart readers.

You buy the carts off eBay and use a retron with an n64 asd on to back up your cartridge and use that file through an emulator?

Is that what you mean by "how do you get N64 games for emulation"

Edit - apologies it's the retrode device I was thinking of not retron

Peltz

You buy the carts off eBay and use a retron with an n64 asd on to back up your cartridge and use that file through an emulator?

Is that what you mean by "how do you get N64 games for emulation"

I believe he was asking for a device to make his own legit rom backups.

Sorry bomblord1, I don't have an answer as I've never done that. But you get my approval for obtaining roms the proper way.

bomblord1

Banned
I believe he was asking for a device to make his own legit rom backups.

Sorry bomblord1, I don't have an answer as I've never done that. But you get my approval for obtaining roms the proper way.

Yes, sorry I edited my original post for clarification. The OP mentions a retrode but it seems the parts are no longer produced.

bomblord1

Banned
Retrode seems to have received a new production run last month http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1018678

retrode-2.jpg

•Emulators for SNES/SFC and Genesis/Mega Drive

It appears to only take SNES and Genesis carts.

bomblord1

Banned
Does no one really want to read my post about using a 3.2 Gameshark to do it? It would be much easier to obtain...

I refuse to buy from ebay and you need a lot more than just the gameshark
- GameShark Pro device, v3.2 (correct version important! Parallel port on some v3.3's is disabled)
- LPT printer cable (male to female)
- Game Software Code Creator software
- WinROM 64 software

It also seems somewhat complex.

RoadDogg

You need 2 peices of free software, a cheap cable, and a cheap gameshark... how is that any worse then a $60+ retrode, an impossible to find n64 plugin, and whatever software they need?

Looks like you can get one for $25 on amazon if you really hate ebay.

bomblord1

Banned
You need 2 peices of free software, a cheap cable, and a cheap gameshark... how is that any worse then a $60+ retrode, an impossible to find n64 plugin, and whatever software they need?

Looks like you can get one for $25 on amazon if you really hate ebay.

I really hate ebay price wasn't the issue. Where do I find said software? It also seems fairly complex and the tutorial mentions it's prone to failing.

RoadDogg

I really hate ebay price wasn't the issue. Where do I find said software? It also seems fairly complex and the tutorial mentions it's prone to failing.

The links to the software are right in the guide. Just buy a used gameshark off Amazon if ebay is the issue. But wait for a retrode, I have no vested interest in any of this.

Edit: The bigger issue with the Gameshark method is needing a PC with an old LPT port. Not everyone has old pc's laying around.

The process itself is pretty straight forward. Install software > Plug in gameshark/game/cable > Boot up > Run software > Hit get rom > wait until done > Convert to v64 file type.

bomblord1

Banned
The links to the software are right in the guide. Just buy a used gameshark off Amazon if ebay is the issue. But wait for a retrode, I have no vested interest in any of this.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I skimmed the instructions and only seen an ebay link to the gameshark not the software.

jahepi

Back in the day when i used to play Golden Eye with 3 friends, i´ve tears on my chicks just to remember how awesome it was, i still have my lovely N64, it is one of my favorite consoles till now, great memories.

Teknoman

Oh. I just realized I don't have many N64 carts. I'll trade my Neo Geo and PCE collection in at GameStop and get some. Then the steak and cognac will commence!

Speaking of, I wonder what effect Gamestop trade in values will have on current retro game prices? Are people going to realize they might be able to get more for the quality of their game, and Gamestop falls flat, or will it be the other way around?

On that note, I wonder what it means for standard retro game stores...or if The Game Chasers or Retro Liberty crew will now hit up Gamestops heh.

Lynd7

Noticed some graphical mishaps when scrolling the file select in Star Wars Rogue Squadron. The little squares for the files flickered and had some slight graphical errors when scrolling. Went back a little later and it worked fine, not sure if it's something with the system possibly mucking up, or the PVM displaying it odd.

Could it be a developing problem with the hardware? A dirty cart maybe?

I will not link to it, but if you wanted to play 64DD games, and have a 64drive, you can do it now. There are cartridge conversions of a few 64DD games online (and others are coming).

Sorry ED64 folks, but I don't think it's going to work for you guys.

I will not link to it, but if you wanted to play 64DD games, and have a 64drive, you can do it now. There are cartridge conversions of a few 64DD games online (and others are coming).

Sorry ED64 folks, but I don't think it's going to work for you guys.
Got excited for a second until the ED64 part :'(

Hey guys,

I'm about to finally get a good Android phone (Galaxy S5 Active) to use my MOGA controller with. How well does Majora's Mask emulate on Android? I've seen videos of people running it well, but they don't post settings or anything.

Lynd7

So have we heard of any people that will be offering to install that N64 HDMI board mod?

It will be interesting to see reviews and thoughts when it's finally out!

Mercutio

Hey guys,

I'm about to finally get a good Android phone (Galaxy S5 Active) to use my MOGA controller with. How well does Majora's Mask emulate on Android? I've seen videos of people running it well, but they don't post settings or anything.

Awful, from my experiences. I tried a number of things to play that specific game on my Tegra 4 powered Nvidia Shield, and it just never worked well.

Lately I've done changes to Project64:

- Added 64DD cartridge conversions compatibility
- Added N64 Mouse emulation

And soon enough:
- Added ROM writing for 64DD conversions so you can make stuff in Mario Artist and use it in other modes or just make games to work.

I suggest using GLideN64 for basic compatibility, else for fully working games, use angrylion RDP plugin.

Mario Artist: Paint Studio (requires angrylion for stamps):

Mario Artist: Talent Studio (requires angrylion for face editing and animation editing):

Mario Artist: Polygon Studio (requires angrylion for almost everything):

So if you wanted to play 64DD games without spending your limbs, you can :D

Asparagus

It's finally mine!

GgNcsT4.jpg

I also picked up Diddy Kong Racing and Mischief Makers.

Going through it again has been a blast from the past, I always wanted to try this version and while the sound and fmv might be a bit lower quality it's still RE2 on the N64! It also has selectable normal non tank controls which... just feels weird.

miserable

Guys, i have a NTSC N64, and i have the PAL version of Paper Mario.Is there an adapter which lets me play it? I have a generic adapter, and it gives me a black screen when i use it.
Anybody know for sure that the Passport Plus will work?I can't find any confirmation online.

putermcgee

I feel like I've read comments about N64 controller sticks going bad after a while, or being loosey-goosey. I have four controllers in pretty good shape, but I've seen extras at the local used goods shop. At what price would people recommend just buying one to have as a backup? These were about $8.

I finally got a complete copy of Conkers. It arrived yesterday and was in pretty good condition. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait to play it. I recently bought a home and in the middle of packing everything and moving.

v1perz53

I feel like I've read comments about N64 controller sticks going bad after a while, or being loosey-goosey. I have four controllers in pretty good shape, but I've seen extras at the local used goods shop. At what price would people recommend just buying one to have as a backup? These were about $8.

The problem with the control sticks in N64 controllers is that the mechanism inside is basically plastic rubbing on plastic. So with enough use, every stick will get loose eventually, it isn't one of those "take care of your item and it will last forever" situations. If you open the stick mechanism, you will literally find it full of plastic dust and the plastic holes will be bigger than they started due to wear and tear. $8 is a pretty great price for a controller with a good stick, they routinely sell for $25-35 on eBay for auctions that claim a tight stick or 10/10 stick.

Of course, you could also buy replacement joysticks themselves and keep those as future proofing, but I've never had one I was completely happy with. The gamecube style ones don't work well with rotating actions (OoT spin attack, Mario Party minigames), and the regular style ones I've tried often have trouble with very slight movements, like walking really slowly in Mario 64.

Jamix012

People are sleeping on Bomberman Hero. Seriously.

Yeah, it's my favourite Bomberman game... Even though it's not really a Bomberman game anf is a single player only experience. The soundtrack is amazing and the game itself is really unique, I'd absolutely recommend it highly.

Lynd7

I've just been playing The World is Not Enough, pretty fun. Just wondering though, on the standard video output for the game, it seems to have quite a bit of noise in the video signal. It's especially noticeable in dark areas, but its still apparent on things like the pause screen.

If the game is set to the high res mode its very clean, but the frame rate is really bad.

alienator

hai guys , new to the N64 game , i recently bought my first (pal) N64 the other week , and now im enjoying a handfull of games (mario64 ofcourse , lylat wars (starfox) robotron64 , and mischief makers..)

But that controller man, its unusable for me. like, the worst i have ever held in my hands.

so, i ordered this Gamecube to N64 converter , which is programmable (to have a cod style setup for like, goldeneye etc) and its working like a dream.

11377288_10154003115291164_2012819043215776386_n.jpg

from http://www.raphnet-tech.com/ .. im not reading back a few zillion pages if this one is mentioned already somewhere but if it is, sorry. just thought to mention it, as now im in love with my n64 ;)

bonusvid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkJrpje3dI

Top Bottom