• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *official?* all in one GradiusV tips and tricks topic

sasimirobot

Yes I know there are alot of G5 topics floating around, but I thought it would be nice to have a topic that talks about the game a little more in depth.

First off what ship type are you using (1-4) and why? I like type 4 myself because it seems to make the options surrounding the ship "dance". You may just think spinning them around all the time is best, but I find that there are almost infinite subtle ways to position your shots with this option.
Spinning them also acts like a nice shield on some levels/bosses.

Type 2 comes in a close 2nd, it just looks so badass when you have 4 options and lazers spinning around the screen like clock hands of techno death! I still need practice with this one though since it makes you stop moving.

I have alot more to talk about and ask if this topic picks up.

Here some codes to imput at pause menu (I have never used them though, too cheap)->

Missiles, Lasers, 4 Options and Force Field - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, L1, R1

Missiles, Double, 4 Options and Force Field - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, L2, R2

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i <3 array 2 you can whip people with your options!

although its much harder than using array 4

sasimirobot

I also have over 12 hours and still havent finished the stupid game! It gets SUPER hard right after you get to the "green gas of death" stage. If you cant pick up enough speed within 4 seconds after dying at later stages in the game, its kiss your ass goodbye.

Maybe I should change quick restart option to off?

NotMSRP

I beated the first loop. You get a weapon edit mode afterwards that gets you back the old Gradius weapons.

I use type 2.

Hotsuma

I switch between Type 4 and Type 1 settings.

Question: How do you defeat the boss at end of the asteroid stage? I go through all of my credits on that one boss! WTF were they thinking when they chose that #$%^& to be the end of stage boss!? The thing piles tons of bullets on the screen while you're trying to dodge his bullets and the asteroids.

NotMSRP

You don't shoot while it's shooting bullets out like crazy. You're suppose to hide behind the asteroids and use them as your shields. It's possible to zig zag through the asteroids.

sasimirobot

oh yeah that asteroid boss is tough! I just cheat/cheese and use the few seconds of invincibility after you die to sit right on his core and fire away it doesnt take too many hits it seems.

Asteroid level is a no go without lazers/options...

Finally! I found a faq with pics of the stages and bosses, now we can have a reference (my memory sucks). Its here->

http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/ps2_gradius_v_06.shtml

Ar_

I havent played much yet, less than 3 hours, but managed to get to the asteroid boss - and went "WTH?!?".

Then I thought about it calmly and came to my mind:
£/"()&$ WTH!?? WTH?!? Im going to play some Gradius Gaiden!
Did you hope for a spoiler, heh? Heh? =)

Playing some Gradius Gaiden - and exploiting the uberpowered Circle Laser and powerup edit - I started apprecciating it more than I did years ago.
The bosses cant thouch those of gradius V (aside for the organic boss, and maybe the all-bosses level), but the level ambientations are superior.
The black hole level especially, brillant homage to the original gradius, an old theme made innovative, impressive and fun.
Still, after 7 ships x 10 credits, failed to complete it. Got to the walking boss of the last level. Weak performance :p

How good is R-Type Final compared to Gradius V? Have yet to buy it.

Pimpbaa

Are you guys using the digital pad or analog stick to play? I played today and accidentally tried the stick, found out the game has analog movement. I have much more precise control now.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Type 2 and i'm an analogue player :)

Not a very good one either!

I've been playing the score attack more than anything, i managed to clear level 1 and 2 without losing a ship, but as i'd never actually played long enough to get off level 2 in the normal game, i didn't have a clue what was coming in the level so finally expired with a score around 450,000 (low ranking in type 2, and not on the overal leaderboard).

It's friday today - and i forsee me playing lots of Gradius tonight.

sasimirobot

analog? hmmmm. might try it out, but I dont really like the PS2 stick.

Wanna start posting high scores?

Let me play for a few more hours and get back at ya!

Troidal

Type 4 for the most part. Sometimes Type 2.
In fact, I am stuck in stage 6 and its probably going to be difficult without using Type 2...

sasimirobot

Just finished it. meh. the ending kinda sucks...

Dcharlie I didnt beat your score so Im not gonna post it. Man I suck at this game, but its tons of fun!

RuGalz

Type 1 or Type 2 for me. Type 2 is for fun. Type 1 is still the powerhouse since you can literally stick the option in boss' core.

Still having trouble passing LV5 boss though. Are you guys playing on default settings? :p

EmSeta

Type 2 is amazing. Even in weapon edit, I can't come up with anything better.

There's supposed to be a Free Play mode too, anyone know how to unlock it? My guess is it's time-based, just like the credits.

The "last boss" sucks though.
I can't believe you don't get to actually fight the brain. Instead you just listen to some incomprihensible, muffled rant and suddenly the game is over. A Gradius game without an end boss? For shame..

jenov4

I love this game. I personally use the Type 1 - Freezing Options.

I totally suck at this game though, I can't get past level 5 Boss (The crazy asteroid stage) and this is on Very Easy. LOL.

I've read on gamefaqs that you get FREE PLAY after 18 hours of gameplay. I might end up doing that.

EmSeta

jenov4 said:
I totally suck at this game though, I can't get past level 5 Boss (The crazy asteroid stage) and this is on Very Easy. LOL.

When he's flying around at first, just avoid him. Shoot the rocks to create a path and try hitting the mines as well before they explode. The boss can't be harmed until he stops on the right hand side and opens up. When he does, don't start shooting right away. Instead, hide behind the big rocks as he spews out bullets. When the boss starts firing his lasers, it's time to strike. Once you've eliminated the first protective layers, you can safely place your ship just beside the core, inside the little "tunnel" and follow his movements while shooting frantically. But make sure to get out and hide as soon as he starts shooting bullets again. Rinse and repeat.

RuGalz

EmSeta: What settings were you playing it on?
It's possible that only on certain settings that you get to fight the brain. I seem to recall some previous game did that but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

EmSeta

RuGalz said:
It's possible that only on certain settings that you get to fight the brain. I seem to recall some previous game did that but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Normal. You might be right though, the earlier Gradius games were limited when playing on lower difficulty levels.

FriScho

Gradius V ROX! I haven't had that much fun with an oldschool shooter since the "old days" of SNES, Neo Geo and PC Engine.

NotMSRP

RuGalz said:

Just go through the whole game. You'll understand later.

Top Bottom