• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

TAJ said:
I don't get this at all. I've played the game on two of my TVs, including my 20" (1,680X1050) bedroom TV, and if anything, I think the text is comically big. Yay for options, though.

I think I tend to sit farther away from the TV than most people because my computer is on a desk on the other side of the room and I can't tear myself away from it.

Tab0203

_Alkaline_ said:

The start of the game is fine. In fact, the first level (actually, make that the first two levels) are good fun, have great music and at this stage you're thinking that it can only get better. Except it only gets worse. You see, you get more characters. And when you get more characters, you get more bananas to collect. And more coins. And more golden bananas. And more fairies. And more and more and more.

By level 3 or 4 the game becomes way too convoluted. It goes from being a fun 3D platformer to a total collectathon, and it's totally overwhelming. You basically have to complete each world FIVE TIMES. And these are freakin' huge worlds too, filled with all sorts of challeneges, which are by the way totally hit and miss. The barrell ones are fun. The rings too. But please don't give me crap like the beaver round-up game. Holy shit that was bad.

Some would have gotten a kick out of it, for sure. It's a massive game and those who collected everything may have found it pretty rewarding. But for me, it's just dull. Too much collecting and not enough fun.
Well said.

KevinCow

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I bought it day one and was so hyped for it, it was kinda ridiculous actually. I loved DKC and especially DKC2, and Rare was on a roll on the N64 with BK, Goldeneye, etc so I thought it couldn't possible go wrong.

But it did.

The start of the game is fine. In fact, the first level (actually, make that the first two levels) are good fun, have great music and at this stage you're thinking that it can only get better. Except it only gets worse. You see, you get more characters. And when you get more characters, you get more bananas to collect. And more coins. And more golden bananas. And more fairies. And more and more and more.

By level 3 or 4 the game becomes way too convoluted. It goes from being a fun 3D platformer to a total collectathon, and it's totally overwhelming. You basically have to complete each world FIVE TIMES. And these are freakin' huge worlds too, filled with all sorts of challeneges, which are by the way totally hit and miss. The barrell ones are fun. The rings too. But please don't give me crap like the beaver round-up game. Holy shit that was bad.

Some would have gotten a kick out of it, for sure. It's a massive game and those who collected everything may have found it pretty rewarding. But for me, it's just dull. Too much collecting and not enough fun.
You forgot about the part where they left out Dixie for a stupid lame Dixie imitator.

:mad:

autobzooty said:
I'm playing on an HDTV and I still have a hard time reading the tiny text unless I move very close to the TV. Do you think the font fix will be just for SDTV or will it be for everyone?
I have the same problem too. I hope it's for both SDTV and HDTV.

flak57

_Alkaline_ said:
I bought it day one and was so hyped for it, it was kinda ridiculous actually. I loved DKC and especially DKC2, and Rare was on a roll on the N64 with BK, Goldeneye, etc so I thought it couldn't possible go wrong.

But it did.

Maybe I'm one of the few that still likes it because of the way I played it. I still haven't beat it but I have played it on small doses since its release and I still enjoy it from time to time.

fernoca

So...about Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts??.... guys!!! :p

BKNBb-lg.jpg

Any more impressions, pics from those that got the game earlier?

Can't wait!

fernoca

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm sorry fernoca but this thread's now about how much Donkey Kong 64 sucks ass.
Well, like that's new .. :p

But yep, the game is supposed to ship Tuesday..yet, since it's "no biggie", most stores will have it by Wednesday.

burgerdog

Is gamestop.com or ebgames.com not offering the pre-order code for xbla banjo anymore? I was about to pre-order when I noticed that they didn't mention the promotion at all.

Spruchy

After playing the Meh demo I decided to buy it just because its a good deal for 40 and banjo xbla. Also loved the graphics/music. Then I found out its basically impossible to get a code anymore in my area which might be just enough to skip this game entirely.

Thanks rare/msoft/gamestop/crazy.

Goddammit Alkaline, I totally freaked out because at no point do you mention whichever shitty Rare n64 game you are talking about (and there are lots!) and assumed it was N&B.

Nemesis_

Has anyone in Australia sighted the Banjo XBLA codes yet? I'm holding off my pre-order until they come around (admitedly it does come out here later than America, too)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's something oddly fun about just flying around in the demo with my mini-UFO.

photo.jpg

N.A

Banned
So I just found my favourite challenge so far. It's called long jump and is essentially the same as the Red Bull Birdman competition, you have to design a vehicle that will fly the furthest of a large ramp.

Photo mode is cool as well, it's a shame the web interface for it isn't online yet...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So I'm 12 hours in, and I still have fun mainly exploring the city each time I unlock new abilities for the trolley. It's just incredible how much stuff there is that place.

I thought I remembered reading Best Buy was doing the preorder bonus as well. But I didn't see any boxes for it at Best Buy and there's no mention of it in the ad. What happened?

N.A

Banned
Blimblim said:
So I'm 12 hours in, and I still have fun mainly exploring the city each time I unlock new abilities for the trolley. It's just incredible how much stuff there is that place.

I love the
arcade
. :D

KevinCow

Banned
Hey Blimblim, are you planning on uploading any more videos? Not pushing or anything, just wondering. It seems all the major sites are too busy pimping Gears 2 to bother with Banjo.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
N.A said:
I love the
arcade
. :D
Yeah I've finished it all, level 3 kicked my ass for a long time.
KevinCow said:
Hey Blimblim, are you planning on uploading any more videos? Not pushing or anything, just wondering. It seems all the major sites are too busy pimping Gears 2 to bother with Banjo.
Well I've shown a lot already, so what more could I do?

Costanza

Banned
rainking187 said:
I thought I remembered reading Best Buy was doing the preorder bonus as well. But I didn't see any boxes for it at Best Buy and there's no mention of it in the ad. What happened?
Online only I think.

Well... I've been won over. I'm really still not happy that the UK pays full price when the US gets it for budget but I'm a Rare supporter so I'm going to suck it down and get it ordered.

I'd have grabbed it on import but unfortunately you can't get the XBLA code that way so the price ends up pretty much identical after it's taken into consideration.

My impressions after playing it a lot this weekend:

So far I am loving this game. Played around 15 hours and unlocked almost all the levels (missing the final acts of the last two worlds) and the game is so addicting and fun. I keep going back to the same few missions to work on my time and get a trophy in it. And those levels can be insanely frustrating (especially the levels where it's L.O.G's choice missions), but the humor is really great, and they do a lot to give old fans a lot of stuff to smile about.

Personally I really love how the game uploads your blueprint and a replay of your succes if you place within the top 10 in each mission, and the multiplayer looks like to hold a lot of promise and fun.

Overall I'm really enjoying it, and if you can forget the old games then there is a lot of fun to be had in Nuts & Bolts. And the game is so insanely pretty, but the framerate is up and down.

If GeorgeK is reading:
After completing Spiral Mountains, do I get to go back to Showdown Town? Because the way L.O.G. said it, I understood that I wouldn't be able to?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Thanks for the impressions Vinterbird, Blimblim, and N.A! I really enjoy hearing them =)

I am looking forward to this game more than any other game this fall, which I think is saying quite a bit considering how many good games are coming out. I can't wait to pick it up next week, but really next week is a terrible time for me to play this game - I've got 4 exams next week =(

The code works when NaB comes out. The rest of the world doesn't get the original Banjo-Kazooie until 2 weeks later, and they will have to pay for it.

It's kinda funny/sad that this is a determining factor in whether or not some people are buying NaB.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
autobzooty said:
The code works when NaB comes out. The rest of the world doesn't get the original Banjo-Kazooie until 2 weeks later, and they will have to pay for it.

It's kinda funny/sad that this is a determining factor in whether or not some people are buying NaB.
That makes sense when you look at the big picture. Games that would have been a no brainer during the Summer drought are now facing stiff competition during the Fall flood. People are also tightening up due to the economy. Each upcoming release is being turned into a value proposition that is heavily scrutinized and analyzed by potential buyers.

Kevtones

autobzooty said:

I work at a store and pre-ordered it for the code. I'm going to rent NaB more than likely...

We'll see though :)

Kuroyume said:
Has anyone tried the screen capture thing for the game yet? Hi-res or not?

It works the same way Halo 3 does, but the service is not up yet on the official site.

a Master Ninja said:
Now that we know more about the game I understand Kazooie is getting the Mumbo wrench, but what is Banjo holding?
j0faz5.jpg

As far as I can tell it's one of the advanced fuel cells you can gather in the game.

I don't know if this was in the demo, but in the full game you can ask Bottles whats up with KI3 and he says the he is getting a bandana made for it. You can also buy the truth of Stop N' Swap for 6000 notes, which as far as I can calculate, is impossible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Kevtones said:
I work at a store and pre-ordered it for the code. I'm going to rent NaB more than likely...

We'll see though :)
SMH...

AniHawk

N.A said:
Rare get nothing...

They scrapped the original Banjo-Kazooie 3, they put the franchise into a game that didn't need it and now it has to be washed and sterilized, so they get nothing! They LOSE! GOOD DAY, SIR.

I know I really shouldnt have waited until the last minute but if I preorder this at Gamestop tonight, should I still be able to get my code for BK XBLA?

Top Bottom