• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

TomO

1up aren't the only ones - I really enjoyed this. I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised by Nuts & Bolts. Yes, it's not a platformer, but it is a unique game that takes user created content and makes it the centrepiece to the entire game. It's got problems, but it's still quality. Multiplayer is great too. I don't know if a show called Robot Wars was ever popular in the States, but in the UK it was almost essential viewing during its prime. Multiplayer Nuts & Bolts feels like a really good virtual version of that show.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/banjokazooie_3/review.html

Kuroyume

Banned
watkinzez said:

woods.gif

JSnake

TomO said:
1up aren't the only ones - I really enjoyed this. I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised by Nuts & Bolts. Yes, it's not a platformer, but it is a unique game that takes user created content and makes it the centrepiece to the entire game. It's got problems, but it's still quality. Multiplayer is great too. I don't know if a show called Robot Wars was ever popular in the States, but in the UK it was almost essential viewing during its prime. Multiplayer Nuts & Bolts feels like a really good virtual version of that show.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/banjokazooie_3/review.html

Nice review, just added it to the OP along with the 1UP review. :)

Sorry for not giving you a quote but I think the review section is getting cluttered with all the quotes. :p Gonna weed some of them out.

Prine

Banned
I think the TeamXbox review was weired, especially the summary about the visuals. Makes it sound like they can only appreaciate games with specific tones of blood and explosions

J!ndu

Blimblim said:
I don't think there is a way to know the number of notes you got inside a level. Maybe there is, but I didn't see it.
you can see that when you pause the game - just switch to statistics - there is a jiggy, jinjo, notes, trophy & playtime count - overall and for each world :)

GreekWolf

Wow, an A- is pretty damn spiffy.

My only hope is that Nuts & Bolts sells enough copies so that they'll at least break even, giving Rare the incentive to create "ye olde traditional" platformer for Banjo's next iteration.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Oh man, watching the intro video is incredible. Such a great sense of humor :D :lol

KevinCow

Banned
I just watched the original teaser again and remembered how it had Banjo using Kazooie as a lockpick and then a chainsaw, which seemed to imply that these would be new moves Banjo and Kazooie would learn. I wonder if this game was originally going to be more like the original games and met a drastic change in direction some time into development, or if it was always going to have the vehicular focus and that was just Rare, well, being Rare.

Cyberia

Blimblim said:
I don't think there is a way to know the number of notes you got inside a level. Maybe there is, but I didn't see it.
As for checking, I know the trophy guy allows you to have a list of challenges where you got/missed jiggies and trophies, but I don't remember notes. I could be wrong again, but since notes are the only thing that are constant in a level (200 each afaik), you just have to walk to any door leading to that level and you'll know.

Thanks for clearing up Blim!

radeonxt

I do not understand this 2 reviews from VC and XBLA respective game ports:

Banjo Kazooie XBLA

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/927/927117p1.html

8.0 Presentation
This is a great example of how to bring an old game to life on the XBLA.
7.5 Graphics
It's been reworked, but that doesn't mean all of the ugly textures are gone.

5.0 Sound
Those sound effects can be downright awful. Pleasant music, though.
8.0 Gameplay
If platforming and fetching is your thing, it doesn't get much better.
6.5 Lasting Appeal
The game itself is pretty big with lots to do. The replay value isn't what it used to be.

Mario 64 VC

8.5 Presentation
Mario's pinchable, morphable title screen face isn't quite as impressive as it once was, but the game itself is as engaging and immersive as ever.
8.0 Graphics
Super Mario 64 has never looked better. Running through the Wii makes the game much more vibrant and crisp than its original N64 edition.

8.0 Sound
These tunes aren't as classically memorable as those found in earlier Mushroom Kingdom adventures, but it's great to re-experience the origin of Mario's spoken voice. "It's-a me!"
9.5 Gameplay
A true masterpiece of game design, now made all the more impressive by the fact that its feel and fun have perfectly held up after over a decade.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
More value for your Wii Points than any other game currently offered through the Virtual Console – a lengthy adventure you can play again and again.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/754/754372p1.html

IGN isn't playing fair...

Sound Score is also weird when in 1996-1998 they gave mario an 8 and banjo a 10. WTF?

soco

radeonxt said:

Sound Score is also weird when in 1996-1998 they gave mario an 8 and banjo a 10. WTF?

it's called different reviewers.

Ramenman

George K. said:
"Polarising".

Also, is it bad form for me to post that? I don't want to be seen as bragging, especially after the savaging IGN UK just gave us :(

I don't consider it bragging. People KNEW from the beginning it would be "love it or hate it". Actually it was "hate it" before it was even "love it".

But you see, it's easier for the disappointed fans to claim that "Rare has lost it" with not-that-good reviews.
I just hope there are enough review threads to contain the bitterness so that we can save this one for constructive criticism.

radeonxt

ehmm, what?

EDIT: you wrote the rules: "- Insult other posters. (Sometimes banworthy, it's best to just ignore or counter the argument with your own)"

Woffls

I wont be looking towards IGN for reviews on platformers any time soon. Or anything with a dab of colour for that matter.

Hell I might just stop visiting IGN altogether, they screwed up on Guitar Hero/Rock Band as well. Can we just have a big ass "No IGN, you are WRONG" thread?

XBLA review I can ignore entirely, because I still enjoy playing the original, and that + good frame rate + achievements + HD is incredible win for me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
radeonxt said:

Banjo Kazooie XBLA

8.0 Presentation
7.5 Graphics

5.0 Sound
8.0 Gameplay
6.5 Lasting Appeal
The game itself is pretty big with lots to do. The replay value isn't what it used to be.

Mario 64 VC

8.5 Presentation
Mario's pinchable, morphable title screen face isn't quite as impressive as it once was, but the game itself is as engaging and immersive as ever.
8.0 Graphics
Super Mario 64 has never looked better. Running through the Wii makes the game much more vibrant and crisp than its original N64 edition.

8.0 Sound
These tunes aren't as classically memorable as those found in earlier Mushroom Kingdom adventures, but it's great to re-experience the origin of Mario's spoken voice. "It's-a me!"
9.5 Gameplay
A true masterpiece of game design, now made all the more impressive by the fact that its feel and fun have perfectly held up after over a decade.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
More value for your Wii Points than any other game currently offered through the Virtual Console – a lengthy adventure you can play again and again.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/754/754372p1.html

Err, that's basically how I felt about the two games back when they were released. Banjo has aged even worse and, honestly, is a game I don't think I could stand to play. Mario 64, on the other hand, still has a certain appeal. The visuals were clean and simple enough that they don't beome offensive and the sound is catchy. Banjo was quite the opposite.

Banjo is nothing more than a collect-a-thon with ugly visuals and annoying sound. Mario 64 defined the 3D platforming genre. I believe Banjo only received positive marks back then due to the lack of software on N64 and the general fascination with 3D platformers (even though nobody seemed to understand what it was that made Mario 64 so good).

dark10x said:
Err, that's basically how I felt about the two games back when they were released. Banjo has aged even worse and, honestly, is a game I don't think I could stand to play. Mario 64, on the other hand, still has a certain appeal. The visuals were clean and simple enough that they don't beome offensive and the sound is catchy. Banjo was quite the opposite.

Banjo is nothing more than a collect-a-thon with ugly visuals and annoying sound. Mario 64 defined the 3D platforming genre. I believe Banjo only received positive marks back then due to the lack of software on N64 and the general fascination with 3D platformers (even though nobody seemed to understand what it was that made Mario 64 so good).

I'm basically the exact opposite. I can hardly play Mario 64 these days but I can always go back to Banjo. I loved having the notes, jiggies, and jinjo's to collect because it gave me something to do when I first played it. Getting that last note on a level was so much more rewarding than just getting a new jiggy or completing a world.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
George K. said:
"Polarising".

Also, is it bad form for me to post that? I don't want to be seen as bragging, especially after the savaging IGN UK just gave us :(
Nice review.

I don't think it's bragging. You should be proud. & Judging by all the self depriciating humor I've seen already in N&B, it's hard to imagine anyone at Rare bragging :lol

I don't understand why everyone is so down on collectathons. Your precious Galaxy was a collectathon, too, just with less exploration.

autobzooty said:
I don't understand why everyone is so down on collectathons. Your precious Galaxy was a collectathon, too, just with less exploration.

This is Gaf, not Forum of Logical Reasoning.

Costanza

Banned
I just finally saw an ad for this on Sci-fi channel. During their Gears 2 special.

Yeah.. not really the demographic here Microsoft

Costanza said:
I just finally saw an ad for this on Sci-fi channel. During their Gears 2 special.

Yeah.. not really the demographic here Microsoft

I've seen them a couple times on ESPN.

Never Rendezvous with a Death though, dammit, that's the best commercial Microsoft!

Manager

radeonxt said:

Banjo Kazooie XBLA

8.0 Presentation
7.5 Graphics

5.0 Sound
8.0 Gameplay
6.5 Lasting Appeal

That guy is seriously hating the character voices. It's like the video review is built around that hate. I don't see what the problem is, I and tons of people like it. And what were they supposed to do, record in-game voice for just this remake?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The game is gorgeous. Easily among the best looking games I've ever seen. The demo was fun to play and I can't wait until I get to explore the different areas. But what's with the price? I'm not complaining, but does that mean the game is short or something? I can't read the 1up review here at work, but I just paid $37 shipped for this at amazon, which comes with the download code for BK on XBLA, so I'm suspicious as hell.

Is this the best gaming deal since Orange Box or am I missing something?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So Erik hates platformers and writes a review for Banjo-Kazooie stating his hate for the genre extensively in his review? Banjo-Kazooie is an absolutely awesome game and I prefer a great platformer over "drama" every day òó. I hope they will never let Erik ever touch a platformer again >.>.

Zoso

VanMardigan said:
The game is gorgeous. Easily among the best looking games I've ever seen. The demo was fun to play and I can't wait until I get to explore the different areas. But what's with the price? I'm not complaining, but does that mean the game is short or something? I can't read the 1up review here at work, but I just paid $37 shipped for this at amazon, which comes with the download code for BK on XBLA, so I'm suspicious as hell.

It's just a good deal. Most of the reviews mentioned that the single player lasted them 20-30 hours, so it's not the amount of content. Microsoft just felt that they needed to sell it at the $40 price point in order for us Americans to buy it, seeing as the Xbox demographic isn't into charming colorful games and whatnot.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone else pre-order from Amazon? How does the code thing work through them? When do you get the code? I'm so excited for this game, and it wasn't even on my "must-buy" list before the demo. :D

DeadGzuz

Banned
VanMardigan said:

They knew it was a niche game that many would not try and it's coming out kind of late IMO, typically a time when game are sent to die. I don't understand the price, I think they are experimenting with the two rare games at $40 to test the waters. Sony did a similar thing during the PS2 era, most 1st party games were $40.

N.A

Banned
Got sent a copy this morning. Haven't had much time with it so far but am loving what I have played. The Rare humor alone makes this worthy of a purchase.

VanMardigan said:
Anyone else pre-order from Amazon? How does the code thing work through them? When do you get the code? I'm so excited for this game, and it wasn't even on my "must-buy" list before the demo. :D

I would think you get it by e-mail. I may drop a preorder myself later unless something makes me think better of it; the demo was really nice, and $37 is a perfect price for the game. Some of the challenges do make me a bit wary, though.

Zoso

N.A said:
Got sent a copy this morning. Haven't had much time with it so far but am loving what I have played. The Rare humor alone makes this worthy of a purchase.
Awesome. I'd love to hear impressions from you and anyone else that has the game already.

I have to stop playing the demo and just wait for the game. I've played it about 10 hours total :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I actually deleted my demo because it felt like I was spending so much time collecting, then having to start over every time I booted it up. I can't wait to get the real deal.

So, have the coupons been sent out already, is BK available for those with the code? I haven't gotten any emails from Amazon and I'm getting antsy. I'd love to play BK Original this weekend.

jmoe316

Code does not work (at least on CDN marketplace).

I am guessing the game will either be downloadable:

A. On November 11 - N&B's launch date. The back of the card says something to the effect of "downloadable content will be available at game's release" which may be N&B's release, or the Arcade release.

B. On November 12 - Banjo XBLA has a release date of Nov 26 and MS has said the pre-order code will get you the game two weeks early, so Nov 12. Also, this makes more sense as it's a Wednesday and that's when XBLA stuff is added.

Guess we'll find out next week. Would have been nice to get as much of the XBLA completed before N&B's release.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Damn, it's been a long time since I played a game (besides a jRPG) for pleasure and not just because I had to play it enough to make an opinion. I think it must have been Crackdown...
9h 14m in, and still finding new stuff in town and enjoying the challenges while NOT editing anything. I really don't feel like losing time on the editor, and so far it works nicely as long as I don't really care about trophies. I'm at 37 jiggies.

dejay

Banned
Blimblim said:
Damn, it's been a long time since I played a game (besides a jRPG) for pleasure and not just because I had to play it enough to make an opinion. I think it must have been Crackdown...
9h 14m in, and still finding new stuff in town and enjoying the challenges while NOT editing anything. I really don't feel like losing time on the editor, and so far it works nicely as long as I don't really care about trophies. I'm at 37 jiggies.

But, but but it's not a platformer and there's no spoken dialogue and the text is too small and the game's a brilliant shell with a mostly hollow centre.

Top Bottom