• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dejay said:
But, but but it's not a platformer and there's no spoken dialogue and the text is too small and the game's a brilliant shell with a mostly hollow centre.
Well I'd almost agree with the last one. I like shiny things :D

N.A

Banned
So I'm a few hours in now and I've finally realised what game this reminds me of: Toy Commander for Dreamcast :D.

The game is an absolute pleasure to play and has some of the best industry commentary I've seen in a game (very minor spoiler:
I've raced against the in no way manufactured all girl gamer clan: The Hag Trolls
:lol ).

I don't think I've ever been so conflicted on a game before. Of course I'm going to buy it, simply because it's Banjo Kazooie and I can't wait to see all the old faces and just experience the charm and humour that Rare are so good at.

But after playing the demo, I'm worried. Yes, I know Nuts and Bolts is different. Much different. It's not the 'platformer' that we've been waiting for, as much as Crushed or others wanted us to think. By the way, I wouldn't actually call the series a platformer. More so action-adventure due to it's heavily reliance on exploration and puzzle solving.

But back to the point, I'm worried because after playing the demo, I just don't know if it's that much fun. The vehicle creation aspect is really deep, and it's rewarding when you create something that really gives you an avantage, whether that be for exploration or completing the challenges. But the challenges in the demo were just, I guess, boring. Not horrible or anything, but they just didn't excite me.

Granted it's just a demo, and the challenges in the full game might be a whole lot better, but the demo (and this is a depressing thing to say) actually reminded me a bit of Donkey Kong 64. Huge worlds where you feel small, filled with a shitload of items and lots of mediocre challenges that are often more frustrating than fun. I just hope this isn't the case when I get my hands on the real thing.

Oh, and another thing I need to point out - the text. Not only is it too small, to the extent where it's nigh unreadable on an SDTV (thank god for my HDTV), but it scrolls way too quickly. Instead of being short-but-slow like the text in BK, you have lots of writing that scrolls like a rocket, and instead of giving you the ability to press A to confirm you've finished reading before moving on to the next text box, it scrolls itself. This means that if you didn't read it in time (and in several case I wasn't able to), it's gone.

What I also don't like is that the characters only make their sounds at the beginning of the text, and then suddenly shut up. Whereas in BK, the gibberish continued for the entirety of the text. The problem with Nuts and Bolts is that having the sounds only at the beginning of the sentences leaves a lot of room for awkward silence, and it makes things feel really stilted. Maybe it's just me, but I definitely noticed it.

You know, it's frustrating for me because I adore this series and there's a lot that Nuts and Bolts has in it's favour. Incredible charm, amazing production values, a really neat and innovate game mechanic (albeit a lot more different than what I wanted), fantastic writing and lots of nostalgia goodness. But all of this won't really matter if the actual game isn't much fun.

I just hope it is. I guess I'll find out soon.

tabsina

_Alkaline_ said:
What I also don't like is that the characters only make their sounds at the beginning of the text, and then suddenly shut up. Whereas in BK, the gibberish continued for the entirety of the text. The problem with Nuts and Bolts is that having the sounds only at the beginning of the sentences leaves a lot of room for awkward silence, and it makes things feel really stilted. Maybe it's just me, but I definitely noticed it.

Definitely not just you, it was hard to miss while I was watching that intro video yesterday.. it isn't something I'd put against the game as a whole, just something that would probably get annoying from time to time

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
My hype for this game is really crashing down. The lack of platforming, the non-riverting demo, the fact that the voices don't stay throughout the text bubble, the fact that I can't even read the text, the lack of actually funny humor and its kinda un-Banjoish humor that does exist, poor review scores aren't helping, ect. All of these factors are making the game slowly less appealing to me. :(

Shahadan

I was planning to buy a 360 for this game (and Dead Rising) but the text problem saves me money :(

I have a HDMI and S-video port on my laptop, anyone know any way to use them with a console ? I suspect these are for linking a TV and I have to buy an accessory of some sort ?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I really hope Rare (and MS) is planning on supporting this title with DLC. The game is basically a toybox, and they're going to have to constantly keep adding new toys to keep people's attention. To be honest, I was more disappointed by the lack of weaponry in the demo than the lack of platforming.

GameGamer

Shahadan said:
I was planning to buy a 360 for this game (and Dead Rising) but the text problem saves me money :(

I have a HDMI and S-video port on my laptop, anyone know any way to use them with a console ? I suspect these are for linking a TV and I have to buy an accessory of some sort ?

Those are probably out ports only.

Brashnir

grandjedi6 said:
My hype for this game is really crashing down. The lack of platforming, the non-riverting demo, the fact that the voices don't stay throughout the text bubble, the fact that I can't even read the text, the lack of actually funny humor and its kinda un-Banjoish humor that does exist, poor review scores aren't helping, ect. All of these factors are making the game slowly less appealing to me. :(

If you can't read the text, how do you know so much about the humor?

KevinCow

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
the lack of actually funny humor and its kinda un-Banjoish humor that does exist
I think the humor's pretty Banjo-ish from what I've seen. The entire intro sequence in Blimblim's link is classic Banjo. Banjo's a bit dull, Kazooie's sarcastic and mean, fourth wall is completely destroyed with the characters well aware that they're in a video game, lots of Rare in-jokes and some self-deprecating humor.

Buccket

Neo Member
KevinCow said:
I think the humor's pretty Banjo-ish from what I've seen. The entire intro sequence in Blimblim's link is classic Banjo. Banjo's a bit dull, Kazooie's sarcastic and mean, fourth wall is completely destroyed with the characters well aware that they're in a video game, lots of Rare in-jokes and some self-deprecating humor.

This.

I'm 4 hours in and the humor is absolutely Banjo-ish.

Cowie

_Alkaline_ said:

Now, I'm guessing you weren't one of those people, but the most consistent complaint I hear about the original Banjo Kazooie is 'annoying voices'. That's the one thing that even otherwise shining reviews bash the game about, so its funny to see people lament its absence.

I was originally put off at the lack of voice acting, but it occurred to me that it'd be difficult to get voice actors with the proper line delivery for this kind of humour, and it would suffer because of that. Oh, and gaf would complain. Though perhaps the same could be said of all
religions.
aspects of any game.

“It has come to our attention that people are exmeperiencing subtitle readability issues with Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts on Standard Definition TVs. We would like to assure you that contrary to earlier reports, we are aware of the issue and currently working on a title update to be released within the next 30 days that will fix it for those with Standard Definition TVs. We’re committed to ensuring all fans of the franchise are able to have the best experience possible with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.”

http://mundorare.com/news/2008/11/a-font-size-fix-for-banjo-is-in-the-works/

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
YES! I was really hoping this would happen :D

_Alkaline_ said:
I don't think I've ever been so conflicted on a game before.
I know what you mean. I've got a lot of the same feelings that you have. The challenges do worry me more than anything else. If they're as lifeless and boring as the demo, then that could have a major effect on how much I enjoy the game. I'm by no means expecting N&B to be as good(to me) as the previoius Banjo games. I've said this before, but the main reason I'm so stoked on N&B is just because I'm going to be able to revisit a world and characters that are so dear to me.

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
Excellent.

And now, back to our inane arguments. This is a screencap I took from a Microsoft "Retail Loyalty" Quiz.
svnz0z.jpg

Discuss.

Costanza said:
Anyone try the BK XBLA codes today? They did say it may work shortly before release.

They actually did give out the Banjo XBLA codes? I canceled my Nuts & Bolts pre-order after playing the demo, but I think I am going to get Banjo Kazooie on XBLA. Probably end up paying the 1200 points to do so.

Costanza

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
They actually did give out the Banjo XBLA codes? I canceled my Nuts & Bolts pre-order after playing the demo, but I think I am going to get Banjo Kazooie on XBLA. Probably end up paying the 1200 points to do so.
I got mine when I preordered last week.

vermadas

_Alkaline_ said:
I don't think I've ever been so conflicted on a game before...
I completely agree with this. And with the holiday release schedule as crowded as it is, I seriously considered canceling my pre-order. I decided against it eventually because of the low price point. If it was a $60 game I would definitely be passing on it and waiting for it to get cheap.

Cowie

ToyMachine228 said:

Quick question/suggestion

if you preorder the game and get one of the codes, whats the worst thing that can happen if you never pick it up? They'll sell your copy after 24 hours anyway, right? In theory, you're getting the game early(was two weeks the figure I heard?) for $5 instead of $15?

Costanza

Banned
Cowie said:
Quick question/suggestion

if you preorder the game and get one of the codes, whats the worst thing that can happen if you never pick it up? They'll sell your copy after 24 hours anyway, right? In theory, you're getting the game early(was two weeks the figure I heard?) for $5 instead of $15?
Just go back when someone else is working and cancel your preorder.

Cowie

Costanza said:
Just go back when someone else is working and cancel your preorder.

Haha, I wasn't going to suggest completely ripping them off, but I suppose that's an option. I'm picking up my copy regardless.

BluWacky

a Master Ninja said:
Excellent.

And now, back to our inane arguments. This is a screencap I took from a Microsoft "Retail Loyalty" Quiz.
svnz0z.jpg

Discuss.

I suppose if you discount Banjo Pilot for being a spinoff and call Gruntilda's Revenge 1.5 that ALMOST works. I think we're probably just supposed to forget about them, though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
N.A said:
So I'm a few hours in now and I've finally realised what game this reminds me of: Toy Commander for Dreamcast :D.

can you elaborate on this please? like, within the next ten seconds, before various extremities on my person explode in an almost volcanic manifestation of excitement?

Tab0203

autobzooty said:
I don't understand why everyone is so down on collectathons.
Donkey Kong 64 and other games with mediocre gameplay, I believe.
The game is a 3D adventure with strong platforming links, similar to that of Banjo-Kazooie. Much of the gameplay involves collecting various items, such as coins, bananas, weapons, keys, and blueprints. IGN described it as the most "collecting-ist" game ever.

There are 200 Golden Bananas with a "Nintendo" tag and a special one with a "Rareware" tag. They are used for gaining access to various levels, blocked by B. Locker, who has the number of Golden Bananas needed labeled on him for unblocking the level's entrance. There are 25 Golden Bananas in each level, but each Kong is only able to find five. One of the five they find is from Snide after a Kong gives him a special blueprint found in a Kasplat (40 total).

The Boss Keys are the second most important items for completing the game. These are used for unlocking each of the eight locks on K. Lumsy's cage. Seven of them are collected by defeating a level boss. These unlock the next level(s)'s entrance area. he third most important thing to collect are the colored bananas, which come in five different colors for each Kong. These are needed to feed Scoff to reach a key to unlock the entrance of a level boss for one specified Kong to battle. There are 500 bananas in each level, 100 for each Kong. They can be found alone, in bunches of five, or in balloons, worth ten.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_64

"Everyone"? Remember the first Knuts & Bolts screenshots with gaffers adding notes with photoshop?
This is what people complained about:
But, but but it's not a platformer and there's no spoken dialogue and the text is too small and ... mostly hollow centre.
According to game director Gregg Mayles, about 20 percent of the game retains traditional platforming elements, which include ledge grabbing and tightrope walking. There are however no conventional "moves" for Banjo and Kazooie to use, apart from attacks Kazooie performs with her wrench.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo-Kazooie:_Nuts_&_Bolts

autobzooty said:
Your precious Galaxy was a collectathon, too, just with less exploration.
I remember exploring hundreds of planets, objects and whatnot plus a dozen traditonal levels from all sides, upside down and inside out, but I know what you mean. The levels/missions are linear. I wish there were more.

Collectathon. Who came up with that word? FPSs are collectathons + shooting (weapons, ammo, health, information, upgrades etc.) It depends on level design and gameplay (fun).

Collecting in Donkey Kong 64: work

Collecting in BK K&B: vehicle customization, racing, flying, puzzle solving.

Collecting in Mario Galaxy: Insane jump and run platforming, puzzle solving, racing, rolling, surfing, flying etc. Variety/diversity. Collecting is different every time. Even the notes, star chips, star bits, coins, purple coins and silver stars. Galaxy makes collecting fun. Collectafun. :p

M3wThr33

Banned
BluWacky said:
I suppose if you discount Banjo Pilot for being a spinoff and call Gruntilda's Revenge 1.5 that ALMOST works. I think we're probably just supposed to forget about them, though.

Gruntilda's Revenge was an alternate reality.

Captain N

I love the demo and can't wait for the final version of the game. I will be all over this and XBLA version this month. This will probably be my last game of the year.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Tab0203 said:
Donkey Kong 64 and other games with mediocre gameplay, I believe.
I liked DK64, even if it was mediocre =/

At least I'm not the only one, heh : )

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Costanza said:
I got mine when I preordered last week.
What store?
Gamestop won't give it to me until the game is out.

M3wThr33 said:
Gruntilda's Revenge was an alternate reality.
I think it originally was, but the plot of the released game is part of the timeline. It's just that nothing really happened because Banjo managed to avoid Grunty's time travel plan.

I preordered from gamestop online/in-store pickup and still have not received my code. Is that normal? How long do they usually wait until they send out the code via email?

fernoca

Can anyone update regarding the Banjo-Arcade code thing?

The official site says codes will be given when you pick the game, multiple stores (Gamestop) also are saying the same..and Gamestop.com even removed the preorder bonus note from the game page.

KevinCow

Banned
fernoca said:

The official site says codes will be given when you pick the game, multiple stores (Gamestop) also are saying the same..and Gamestop.com even removed the preorder bonus note from the game page.
They probably realized that giving it out when the preorder is placed was a stupid idea that could be easily exploited by canceling the preorder.

Costanza

Banned
fernoca said:

My Gamestop gave me the code when I placed the preorder. I dunno about other stores.

Rlan

Great news. Hopefully they allow it to be a bit bigger on HDTVs too.

I think my main complaint about it is that the text is very long in one line, and because they've made the voice clips only be half a second long, you're stuck reading with nothing but silence. It's weird.

I loved DK64, but I know I would hate it so much now. Rare games on the N64 were basically designed for kids who got 2 games a year.

flak57 said:
Don't worry, most people loved DK64. Time seems to have changed that for some reason or another.

I bought it day one and was so hyped for it, it was kinda ridiculous actually. I loved DKC and especially DKC2, and Rare was on a roll on the N64 with BK, Goldeneye, etc so I thought it couldn't possible go wrong.

But it did.

The start of the game is fine. In fact, the first level (actually, make that the first two levels) are good fun, have great music and at this stage you're thinking that it can only get better. Except it only gets worse. You see, you get more characters. And when you get more characters, you get more bananas to collect. And more coins. And more golden bananas. And more fairies. And more and more and more.

By level 3 or 4 the game becomes way too convoluted. It goes from being a fun 3D platformer to a total collectathon, and it's totally overwhelming. You basically have to complete each world FIVE TIMES. And these are freakin' huge worlds too, filled with all sorts of challeneges, which are by the way totally hit and miss. The barrell ones are fun. The rings too. But please don't give me crap like the beaver round-up game. Holy shit that was bad.

Some would have gotten a kick out of it, for sure. It's a massive game and those who collected everything may have found it pretty rewarding. But for me, it's just dull. Too much collecting and not enough fun.

I'm playing on an HDTV and I still have a hard time reading the tiny text unless I move very close to the TV. Do you think the font fix will be just for SDTV or will it be for everyone?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
autobzooty said:
I'm playing on an HDTV and I still have a hard time reading the tiny text unless I move very close to the TV. Do you think the font fix will be just for SDTV or will it be for everyone?
I don't get this at all. I've played the game on two of my TVs, including my 20" (1,680X1050) bedroom TV, and if anything, I think the text is comically big. Yay for options, though.

Top Bottom