• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I went to Gamestop as early as I could, (4:30PM) but it didn't matter because they didn't have the game anyway.
I said, "This is one of several reasons that I never pre-order." Hell, I've bought games on Saturday that Gamestop didn't get in until Wednesday.
Anyway, I said, "Oh, well... I guess it's OK as long as I don't get screwed out of the thing I pre-ordered for."
One of the clerks said, "Oh, about that... When did you pre-order?"
"Two weeks ago. The guy counted the pre-order bonuses, or at least pretended to, and told me that I'd be good."
/guy looks at my receipt
"We don't have any codes yet, but we're only getting two, and you're number four on the list."
"Um.................................................................."
Then one of the clerks started ringing up a full cash refund on my pre-order even though I'd payed part of it off in store credit.
So yeah, score one for the two guys working at the time, but fuck the guy who rang up my pre-order. I would have ordered somewhere else if he hadn't lied to me.

Anyway, now I'm not buying the game until it's marked down to $25. I'm not buying Banjo XBLA until then, either.

TAJ said:
I went to Gamestop as early as I could, (4:30PM) but it didn't matter because they didn't have the game anyway.
I said, "This is one of several reasons that I never pre-order." Hell, I've bought games on Saturday that Gamestop didn't get in until Wednesday.
Anyway, I said, "Oh, well... I guess it's OK as long as I don't get screwed out of the thing I pre-ordered for."
One of the clerks said, "Oh, about that... When did you pre-order?"
"Two weeks ago. The guy counted the pre-order bonuses, or at least pretended to, and told me that I'd be good."
/guy looks at my receipt
"We don't have any codes yet, but we're only getting two, and you're number four on the list."
"Um.................................................................."
Then one of the clerks started ringing up a full cash refund on my pre-order even though I'd payed part of it off in store credit.
So yeah, score one for the two guys working at the time, but fuck the guy who rang up my pre-order. I would have ordered somewhere else if he hadn't lied to me.

Anyway, now I'm not buying the game until it's marked down to $25. I'm not buying Banjo XBLA until then, either.

fuuuuuucked I'm getting scared about tomorrow, so Gamestop will give me a full cash refund if I cancel tomorrow? That's good, at least.

Blader

Anasui Kishibe said:
fuuuuUUCK

Tooie was one gigantic helluva game..man, it was really huge. Terrible framerate though..will buy day one

I hope they decide to include the "Bottles' Revenge" mode.

JSnake

Anasui Kishibe said:
fuuuuUUCK

Tooie was one gigantic helluva game..man, it was really huge. Terrible framerate though..will buy day one

Tooie was amazing. Way better than the first imo. Improved on it in every way. And the graphics for the time, they amaze! :O

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I preordered the game, I believe, the day after the preorder bonus was announced, so if I don't get a code it's fucking bullshit.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fantastical said:
I preordered the game, I believe, the day after the preorder bonus was announced, so if I don't get a code it's fucking bullshit.
Even someone who pre-ordered yesterday not getting one is bullshit. Bait-and-switch pisses me the fuck off.
"Oh, did we say the game was $40? Sorry, it's $55." :lol :lol :lol

JSnake said:
Tooie was amazing. Way better than the first imo. Improved on it in every way. And the graphics for the time, they amaze! :O

I have to disagree. Just my opinion though.

BK was (and still is) one of my favourite games of all time. Tooie, for me at least, just didn't have the same feeling. It starts off promising, but in a similar vein to DK64 (though BT beats the crap out of that game), just becomes too big for its own good. The worlds become too big and confusing, the items too many and too spread apart, and it just doesn't have that spark that BK had.

It's not that BT is a bad game - it's still great - but I think Rare took it too far. There's just too much of everything, causing the game to overstay its welcome. It looks nice, it sounds great, but it doesn't match up where it matters.

JSnake

_Alkaline_ said:
I have to disagree. Just my opinion though.

BK was (and still is) one of my favourite games of all time. Tooie, for me at least, just didn't have the same feeling. It starts off promising, but in a similar vein to DK64 (though BT beats the crap out of that game), just becomes too big for its own good. The worlds become too big and confusing, the items too many and too spread apart, and it just doesn't have that spark that BK had.

It's not that BT is a bad game - it's still great - but I think Rare took it too far. There's just too much of everything, causing the game to overstay its welcome. It looks nice, it sounds great, but it doesn't match up where it matters.

Well they're both 11/10s in my book. ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's because Tooie was my first Banjo game (and one of my first N64 games), but I personally think that some of the levels in the game were genius.

Grunty Industries blew my mind as a kid. <3

Once again, it might be nostalgia talking. I'm looking forward to playing through it again on XBLA.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I have a hard time picking a winner between BK & BT - I love them both very much.

Susurrus

Why do people still preorder at Gamestop? They rarely have games in on time, and preorder bonuses there are a joke.

Remember console release fiasco? Preordered WAY more than they would have.

Rez>You said:
Maybe it's because Tooie was my first Banjo game (and one of my first N64 games), but I personally think that some of the levels in the game were genius.

Grunty Industries blew my mind as a kid. <3

Once again, it might be nostalgia talking. I'm looking forward to playing through it again on XBLA.

Having played through Banjo-Tooie again a few months ago, I can tell you that Grunty Industries still blows my mind.

That level is larger and more complicated than most levels in modern video games.

Kuroyume

Banned
Couple of new reviews :)

Nuts and Bolts shows that Rare is still a respectable think tank capable of delivering experiences unlike anything else, but this game also clings onto a few annoying elements from the company’s past. The biggest one, which the game openly ridicules, is the concept of scouring environments to collect items. Sadly, the items you must collect are new part types for your vehicles. If you want to have a deep LEGO box, you have to dedicate time to hunting for them.

Annoying collect-a-thon aside, Nuts and Bolts is a rare delight that offers up big laughs and inventive gameplay. It also ends up being the closest thing there is to a virtual LEGO set.

Game Informer 8.5/8.25 (second opinion)

http://gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/A5DBFBD5-9A0E-4F04-B80E-F27AF4AC4367.htm

The game's new vehicle-based emphasis will probably turn off some long-time fans but I really enjoyed the game's premise. There's an incredibly deep garage tool where you can literally build vehicles of all shapes and sizes from the ground up-if you can imagine it, odds are you can build it and the feeling you get when you complete a difficult challenge with a custom-built rig that you hand built is simply unmatched. [...] Nuts & Bolts isn't for everyone and some hardcore platforming fans will no doubt pine for a return to the series roots but I found enough charm and innovation in the vehicle based gameplay, cleverly written script and deep customization options to keep me playing long into the night.

Gamepro 4 out of 5

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/207820/banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts-page-1-of-2/

gnarkill bill said:
Only 2 codes? what the hell...

Yeah, we only received two code cards at the one I'm at too. It's wild. We received those two, then were told in an e-mail a few days later to stop offering that to people as the allotments had already been depleted and no more were on the way.

Sean

Banned
Susurrus said:
Why do people still preorder at Gamestop? They rarely have games in on time, and preorder bonuses there are a joke.

Remember console release fiasco? Preordered WAY more than they would have.

I can understand getting less launch consoles as there's often unanticipated shortages there, but this is just a fucking piece of cardboard. They really could not print enough to fulfill a store with just four pre-orders? I'm a huge Rare fanboy but this type of bait-and-switch almost sours me on buying the game.

What the fuck.

Woffls

SapientWolf said:
Whoa. How many weapons are in the full game? The egg shooter in the demo didn't really do it for me.

Oh, I don't have the full game. It was in the demo ;)

Turns out the egg just fell apart and an enemy started clinging to my trayPlane D':

bryehn

Cancelled pre-order thanks to EB Games' code bullshit. Too bad they were the only Canadian retailer offering the code, now I just won't buy either...at least till January.

bryehn said:
Cancelled pre-order thanks to EB Games' code bullshit. Too bad they were the only Canadian retailer offering the code, now I just won't buy either...at least till January.

Who's to blame for this shit, Microsoft or Gamestop? Nuts and Bolts really doesn't seem worth it for 40 bucks, I'll have to wait for the inevitable price drop

My EU review code arrived today. Absolutely, positively in love with the game. Spent the first two hours just breaking out of the boundaries in showdown town to get to more part boxes and stuff. This game just feels 'right'.

Absolutely fucking dying for a XBLA code, though, and the people who usually provide me with DL codes for XBLA stuff are out of office. :(

Who's to blame for this shit, Microsoft or Gamestop? Nuts and Bolts really doesn't seem worth it for 40 bucks, I'll have to wait for the inevitable price drop

It's worth it.

Went over to Gamestop today and they still didn't have the shipment. At least the guy working there today knows me and was able to give me my code. :D

Wizpig

Blader5489 said:
I hope they decide to include the "Bottles' Revenge" mode.
Won't buy if they won't.
Also, i preordered N&B from Game.co.uk [yeah, the website, not the actual store] but i still have to receive my Banjo 64 code.
Any words on this?
Anyone who already got his code from GAME?

funkmastergeneral said:
The Gamestop my girlfriend works at didn't receive a single damn code, what the fuck.

lol She works at gamestop?

Any word from amazon for the amazon people? Have they shipped Nuts and Bolts yet to any of you?

Wizpig said:
Won't buy if they won't.
Also, i preordered N&B from Game.co.uk [yeah, the website, not the actual store] but i still have to receive my Banjo 64 code.
Any words on this?
My order is currently being processed, but still no code. I always got the code whenever I preordered anything from them on the day of release, so we'll just have to be patient and wait for Friday...I hope.

RBH

My brother was able to get the very last BK XBLA code at our local Gamestop yesterday. There were apparently only 2-3 codes available.

*whew*

Linkified

Wizpig said:
Won't buy if they won't.
Any words on this?

They won't send the code to you until friday via email. They did the same with the dead space armour preorder bonus didn't email the codes out till friday.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm going to get this later. 8 years in the fucking making. I'm so amped. I haven't been on the gaming side a lot lately, but I've been waiting for this day for quite a long time. My most anticipated game in at least 5 years.

Ramenman said:
Never heard about Europe, have you ?
I'm in the UK... it's full price here but you still can't get it imported for half what we pay. Maybe somewhere in Europe is much more expensive, but I can't see it.

Best import price I could find was about £28 (exchange rate isn't what it used to be) vs £34 to buy from the UK.

Ramenman

Psychotext said:
I'm in the UK... it's full price here but you still can't get it imported for half what we pay. Maybe somewhere in Europe is much more expensive, but I can't see it.

Best import price I could find was about £28 (exchange rate isn't what it used to be) vs £34 to buy from the UK.

It's 40 CA Dollars on videogamesplus.ca, and iirc the shipping to Europe is 7,49 CAD; which makes a total price of 30,7 Euros ;) (a full price game is AT LEAST 60 euros).

Wizpig

Ramenman said:
It's 40 CA Dollars on videogamesplus.ca, and iirc the shipping to Europe is 7,49 CAD; which makes a total price of 30,7 Euros ;) (a full price game is AT LEAST 60 euros).
VGPlus.ca obviously =/= European, it's awesome for DS games, but...

Or is N&B region-free? :/

Ramenman said:
Fair enough. You can get it for less than €60 though but it works out much better for Europe than it does the UK.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wizpig said:
Holy shit GAME shipped it right now :)
Great.

Where's my code? :(

Still waiting on Amazon for mine :(

Top Bottom