• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

was that an amazon exclusive preorder bonus?

i've been calling my gamestop for the past 2 weeks waiting for them to get it in so i can get the bonus, and i just called today and they told me they NEVER got it. :-\

i want banjo kazooie on xbla, so bad.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
was that an amazon exclusive preorder bonus?

i've been calling my gamestop for the past 2 weeks waiting for them to get it in so i can get the bonus, and i just called today and they told me they NEVER got it. :-\

i want banjo kazooie on xbla, so bad.

It's out for everyone in two weeks.

KevinCow

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
There's a perfectly good thread right over yonder for whining about the BK XBLA codes you didn't get.

Sorry to be that guy but c'mon.
It's funny, there's a guy in that thread complaining that that thread shouldn't exist and all the posts about BK XBLA codes should be in here.

LiK

KevinCow said:
It's funny, there's a guy in that thread complaining that that thread shouldn't exist and all the posts about BK XBLA codes should be in here.

yea, it's a lose-lose situation :lol

KevinCow said:

Better yet let's just make a separate forum for people to complain about everything and watch Gaming Discussion turn into a ghost town.

Oh wtf is anyone actually playing the game? Quit yapping about codes. Would like lo hear impressions from many players. This thread sucks!!

I'd even take Private Hoffmans opinions at this point. Maybe that's a stretch.

I think I'm just going to put off meals for the next two days and buy the game today just so I have someone to talk about the game with without talking about codes.

The someone being me.

Zachack

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think I'm just going to put off meals for the next two days and buy the game today just so I have someone to talk about the game with without talking about codes.

The someone being me.
So your plan to avoid complaints about codes is to play a game on a console with online features that include voice messaging?

Zachack said:
So your plan to avoid complaints about codes is to play a game on a console with online features that include voice messaging?

Ha! Xbox Live isn't like Fable 2 or Home. You have to accept chat invites to hear people.

CoilShot

CitizenCope said:
Oh wtf is anyone actually playing the game? Quit yapping about codes. Would like lo hear impressions from many players. This thread sucks!!

I'd even take Private Hoffmans opinions at this point. Maybe that's a stretch.

I just bought the game home. So I can talk about it after I play it but yes I do have it :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
EternalGamer said:
SapientWolf said:
At least they're actually making good on the pre-order codes, unlike a certain popular video game retailer.
Well, that is presumptive thinking at this point since they haven't given ANY codes out yet.
Amazon just emailed me my code this morning, while I'm still hearing stories of GS ripping people off. I think my point stands.

Costanza

Banned
Seriously guys, start talking about the actual game. This is ridiculous!

WE HAVE A NEW FUCKING BANJO KAZOOIE AND ALL PEOPLE CAN TALK ABOUT ARE CODES

VALIS

BenjaminBirdie said:

The someone being me.

I'm unbanned just in time to heed the BenjaminBirdieBatsignal. Warning, some mild spoilers follow..

The game starts out with a hilarious intro movie on Spiral Mountain. You see what Banjo has been doing for the last 10 years -- eating pizza, playing 360 and N64 and getting fat. You get to control superfat Banjo for a while and it's actually laugh out loud funny.

After that you pick up where the demo started, with the tutorials in Showdown Town. Your first world unlocked isn't Banjoland, though. That's world #3.

For the people who didn't like the imprecise vehicle handling, once you beat the three stages of the first world, you unlock super grip tires. Ah ha! Not only do your vehicles handle better, you can finally drive up those green ramps. But you can also add spoilers to your vehicles to help handling. At least, I think that's what the spoilers do. Or you can just build a better vehicle for better handling -- I built a 3-wheel chopper that handles great (and is nice and fast with two medium sized motors underneath :D ).

Taking screen shots or videos of your game couldn't be easier. Pause the game where ever you are and move around a semi-free roam camera until you like your shot. Press A, save it to your HD, then upload it to the BK website if you want. I say "semi free roam" because you can move the camera around freely, but only within a certain distance of where Banjo's standing.

I uploaded a few pics already but that portion of the BK website isn't open yet.

The humor is fantastic and so are the graphics. The vehicle building takes a little familiarity before it becomes fun, but it really is quite fun once you stockpile good parts and get a good understanding of how to build nice vehicles. The level design is the most clever I've seen since Psychonauts (I couldn't stop smirking during the Log 720 level). The one negative so far after about 6 hours is the challenges are meh. Race this, move that, knock this off of that, find this... they should have mixed in those challenges with some more traditional game levels. Maybe there are some of those later, I don't know.

I'm quite happy with the game. I see myself getting 50-100 hours out of it just from screwing with the vehicle creator and finding the ridiculous amount of musical notes and secret areas.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
This game does not get enough credit for its graphics, not to start a shit storm, but if it was a PS3 game this thread would be gifs galore :p

Buccket

Neo Member
Great game with superb graphics, humor and sound.

The only thing that is missing is compelling gameplay. The challenges are way to easy and become boring after 2 worlds.

Great game overall though. Creating vehicles is tons of fun.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Buccket said:
Great game with superb graphics, humor and sound.

The only thing that is missing is compelling gameplay. The challenges are way to easy and become boring after 2 worlds.

Great game overall though. Creating vehicles is tons of fun.

how can you call it a great game when it doesn't have compelling gameplay

Oh my god, wow.

I'm listening to the new 1up FM and the dude said that in Multi, if a player hasn't locked their schematic, you can take a picture of their vehicle in the lobby while you're waiting for a match to start and you automatically get the schematic.

That is fucking RAD.

Frillen

I've just played the game for 3-4 hours and I only have 6 Jiggies. :lol

Damn! It will take me atleast 30 hours to get every Jiggy with this pace. :D

Anyway, the first world is BEAUTIFUL! Especially when you get the propel, and can actually fly around on your own.

I have 13 jiggies so far and I love this game! Ive been a fan of Banjo for a long time and this game doesnt disappoint. I havent been able to find a MP match yet...hopefully I will later.

Yes Boss!

funkmastergeneral said:
Having fun so far just driving around the town...Still can't read the text though. And why is there no pause button for cut scenes?

Yeah, that is one incredible oversight. I usually like to read text at my own speed (on good and bad games).

Otherwise, game is fantastic! Logged seven straight hours yesterday. I applaud Rare for making something different and, somehow, still feel like the Banjo we all love.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
So am I the furthest here? I have about 25 jiggies.

I'm at 14. So many options have opened and I'm still just exploring Showdown Town.

Cowie

Man, I could spend years playing this game, or I could rush through it using blueprints

I think i'm going to have to find a happy medium. Sometimes you can just tweak your strategy to get that TT trophy, but sometimes its so much easier just to change your vehicle...
(nutty acres spoilers)
In the first Gruntilda battle, I initially got her from a good angle with my racer and knocked her over to spill the coconut.. I was trying to find a good starting angle to instantly win with, then put all of a minute into putting two fulgore's fists on the front of it, and knocked her over in 3 seconds flat. Every other approach felt embarrassing at that point.

CoilShot

This game presentation is amazing(They even mention alot of their older games :D ) and the games graphics are very rich in color. The introduction is great(I won't spoil it but its very funny).I only got 10 jiggies at the moment but its still great. What really great is you can modify your vehicles with different parts to affect the game. So say you lost a race and your getting mad? No problem just change your engine or change the air flow on the vehicle and you go faster. I really didn't think I would like this game but its simply amazing and I haven't even got to the flying parts yet :D

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, that is one incredible oversight. I usually like to read text at my own speed (on good and bad games).
Seriously. I'm missing humors many times because it scrolls faster. I really cannot understand how nobody at all thought this + text size could be a problem while testing.

Intro is awesome.

Fuuuuck. I may have just hit a big bug in Banjo XBLA. I completed the christmas light quest in freezy peak but never picked up the Jiggy at the end. Now the christmas lights are gone, but the Jiggy is still stuck inside the ice. :(

APZonerunner said:
Fuuuuck. I may have just hit a big bug in Banjo XBLA. I completed the christmas light quest in freezy peak but never picked up the Jiggy at the end. Now the christmas lights are gone, but the Jiggy is still stuck inside the ice. :(

I believe you have to go through the star at the top of tree three times to get the jiggy

fernoca

APZonerunner said:
Thanks funkmaster but, is that way ----->

This is bullshit, my copy won't get to me by December 1st according to Amazon support rep now. :(

Amazon Super Saver Shipping indeed...

However, when I look at my order, it still says shipping on the 17th, so I still have some hope that I'll get it sooner rather than later.

Ding

Amazon has shipped mine, and they sent me my code early this morning. I won't have it for a while, since I went with cheap-ass shipping...

So, what's the deal with re-doing challenges? You can, right? If I just barely "beat" a challenge, can I still go back later with a better vehicle to try to get trophies and stuff?

Is there any sort of difficulty adjustment? I'm sort of concerned to hear that the challenges are so easy. I figured that the real "hook" of the game would be (eventually) beating challenges that initially looked impossible. If everything is instantly do-able, it seems like you lose a lot of incentive to be clever. Maybe that's where the trophies come in.

I'm uncertain about whether I should redeem my code or not. I'm a little curious about the original game, and I figure that playing it for a bit might help me understand some of the jokes in Nuts and Bolts. On the other hand, I'm not a platformer kind of guy, so maybe I should just give the code to somebody that cares. (I figure I'll give it to one of my friends with kids.) What to do, what to do.

Brashnir

played for a couple hours until the game gave me a headache. Hopefully, it's just the fact that I'm getting sick and not that the game (like some do) has a propensity for making me ill.

Graphics are great, some framerate issues aside. I've spent most of my time exploring showdown town trying to get crates. I think I got 7 jiggies so far and 2 jinjos. One of the jinjo challenges was to get to a certain speed. I went all out building a vehicle for it, slapping on extra motors, spoilers, etc, and then I hit the gas and the game awarded me a win in like half a second. Guess I didn't need to try so hard building a vehicle for that one. To be fair, this was in the very first game world, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much challenge. I had found all the crates I could already, and bought all the parts Humba had available, so I definitely overpowered it.

I love the late 70s/early 80s style TV show intros to the worlds as you enter them for the first time. I also love how LOG, Grunty and Kazooie make fun of Rare and/or GAF with about 20% of their dialog. then again, I guess I should expect no less from a company who named one of the bots in PDZ "Wallguy."

The game seems fun, but then again, I tend to like the sandbox style game where you go from one challenge to the next. I'd probably be pretty disappointed if I was hoping for a platformer. Thankfully I knew what I was getting into beforehand. Hopefully the challenges don't get too repetitive.

Another nice thing is that you can go to Thomas in Showdown town and retry any challenge for trophies without having to go find the challenge itself in the game worlds. That could have gotten really annoying with the number of doors I've already seen in Showdown Town, and I'm sure there's lots more yet to be discovered.

Ding said:
So, what's the deal with re-doing challenges? You can, right? If I just barely "beat" a challenge, can I still go back later with a better vehicle to try to get trophies and stuff?

See above. Trophy Thomas in Showdown Town will let you replay any challenge you've already done to try and get the trophies.

Meh. These challenges are not so fun. Everything seems to be "Collect X amount of X in X amount of time!" and exploration seems to just be a big waste of time. This is not a Banjo Kazooie game.

Top Bottom