• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Majora

I've got about 6 jiggys so far and then got sidetracked exploring Showdown Town. Damn, that place is massive.

I'm enjoying it, but I do miss the lack of exploration in the actual worlds. I've only been in Nutty Acres so far, but it's an absolutely stunning world. Stunning. And yet, unless you're looking for notes, you don't really need to explore it and it's a bit of a shame, it all seems a bit like window dressing in the end. Still, there's already been plenty of talk of this game not being a proper platformer and I'm bored of it so I'll get onto the game.

As expected the audio is superb and honestly it's one of the best looking games I've played this gen hands down. The frame rate can get a little iffy at times but it doesn't really affect the game. The Grunty challenge in Nutty Acres where it's night time just blew me away with the lighting. So far I've been able to get T.T trophies either with the default vehicles or very slightly modified versions so I'm really hoping that to get the T.T trophies in later challenges, you really have to start coming up with your own designs. Designing vehicles just for the fun of it is cool, but it's a shame if the challenges don't really require it.

I fear for the sales of this game already though. For the first jiggy (the burning farm one) I came 11,000th in the world on my very first try. And my first try was crap since I didn't know where I was going. For pretty much every jiggy since I've come in the top 2,000, occasionally the top 1,000, and I didn't think I did exceptionally in any of them. So yeah, I'm a bit worried about that.

Anyway it's a genuinely funny game, looks amazing, plays well. I like it a lot. I can't deny I wish these stunning worlds were built around platforming but I can tell I'm going to enjoy it.

Majora said:
I fear for the sales of this game already though. For the first jiggy (the burning farm one) I came 11,000th in the world on my very first try. And my first try was crap since I didn't know where I was going. For pretty much every jiggy since I've come in the top 2,000, occasionally the top 1,000, and I didn't think I did exceptionally in any of them. So yeah, I'm a bit worried about that.

Well, the game's been out for less than a week, and I'm pretty sure the target demographic for this game doesn't necessarily have Live.

Majora said:
So far I've been able to get T.T trophies either with the default vehicles or very slightly modified versions so I'm really hoping that to get the T.T trophies in later challenges, you really have to start coming up with your own designs.

I don't know that you have to completely come up with something fresh (although you might have to for later challenges which I am hell of far from), but you DO have to do plenty of alterations.

Woffls

I've placed 5th and 10th in the ones I cared to look at :| It asked me if i wanted to upload a video of my run so i waz leik "yeh k" and I did, so that's why I looked. Might check for an overall average later.

Ok i've spent like the last hour building vehicles to do this damn long jump and i'm not getting near the Trophy. Might go for a different approach.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't know that you have to completely come up with something fresh (although you might have to for later challenges which I am hell of far from), but you DO have to do plenty of alterations.

Yeah, I love doing new vehicles just to beat my current time.

The first Grunty challenge was over in like 3 secondes thanks to the Fulgore Punch.

Woffls said:
Ok i've spent like the last hour building vehicles to do this damn long jump and i'm not getting near the Trophy. Might go for a different approach.

This is seriously the brilliance of this game. For people thinking that there's no "puzzle solving", this is it. Figuring out how to get the TT Trophies requires thinking through the challenge and looking at your toolbox.

Woffls

There's a mission in Logbox where you have to take a shell thing up to the top, then down some pipes of water. That mission is hardcore for building something good. It's gotta get to the top quickly, then turn into a submarine o_O I wasn't happy with my solution, so i'll have another crack at it later.

Has anyone tried the longjump on Jiggosseum yet? It's the first mission I found when I got here and i've been trying it since :p Jiggy is NOT good enough for me on this one.

Woffls said:
There's a mission in Logbox where you have to take a shell thing up to the top, then down some pipes of water. That mission is hardcore for building something good. It's gotta get to the top quickly, then turn into a submarine o_O I wasn't happy with my solution, so i'll have another crack at it later.

Has anyone tried the longjump on Jiggosseum yet? It's the first mission I found when I got here and i've been trying it since :p Jiggy is NOT good enough for me on this one.

I did the long jump. Definitely need to outfit something better. I barely bounced across the line far enough for a Jiggy.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Question: how can I operate that highest crate to unlock the fourth area(colosseum or sth)?
i use the trolley flying glitch to reach the top of the crate, but I dun think thats the game wants to do here........

Jonsoncao

Banned
gnarkill bill said:
This game has some serious replay value with getting those damn Trophies. Ive only got about 7 right now and Ive clocked in a few solid hours.
i agree totally

the blueprint revising is fun and rewarding :D

DogWelder

gnarkill bill said:
This game has some serious replay value with getting those damn Trophies. Ive only got about 7 right now and Ive clocked in a few solid hours.

Do you get extra Jiggies or parts if you get X amount of trophies?

Okay, after an extended break after being underwhelmed, I gave it another chance and had a blast. I'm finally into the vehicle creation and think it's wonderful. Small spoiler I guess but it's from the 4th Jiggy you get.

I could not get the coconut off of Gruntilda's vehicle. I kept making big vehicles and little vehicles with a bunch of pipes trying to get it to tip. I finally just created a giant block with two spoilers on it and got the coconut off in 2.85 seconds.

Loving the game. Thank you Rare for thinking outside the box. :D

After playing the game, I got to thinking. What if they kept going in different directions with this series and just kept dlc going for games. Instead of a Nuts & Bolts 2, go with something completely different again, and give the people still playing Nuts & Bolts some dlc.

No offense to those who like it, but I'm glad I canceled my pre-order. I wasn't convinced about the vehicle stuff, but I was going to give it a shot. Then I played the demo.

I dunno, I find it frustrating. I usually don't use triggers for driving in GTA and Saint's Row, and they give you no way to change what buttons do what. The vehicles can fall apart which, in my opinion, is a very poor design choice. Especially for challenges where you need to fight off enemies. Like the others have said as well as videos I've seen, there seems to be no exploration outside of Showdown Town...

I dunno. It just feels like a poor substitute for Banjo-Kazooie rather than a true AAA sequel up to the caliber of the first two. I just don't think Rare is capable of games like that anymore, not that Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts are bad games. I'm just sorely disappointed, personally.

I hope they go back to straight up platforming, or at least a more balanced mix of platforming and vehicle challenges in the next game. I bet they will do the latter. Until then I'll just buy Kazooie and Tooie on XBLA. No harm done, I guess, but I was just expecting more out of this game.

Woffls

EricDiesel said:
Then I played the demo.

The vehicles can fall apart

a more balanced mix of platforming and vehicle challenges in the next game

From what we've been seeing, a few people weren't convinced until playing the full game. Not saying you should buy it of course, but If you like the concept I'd go for it, of not then skip it obviously.

That's one of the points of the game. It's part of the challenges that you need to build strong vehicles, as a balance of speed/offence etc. It really does work later in the game, but It is certainly very frustrating at times. But really it is part of the game that you use stronger designs for some missions.

Apparantly the end of the game suggests this to be the case. That's all i know on the matter though. I doubt they'd modify the engine to this extent and to this refinement, without wanting to make more use of it. And I think out of the interest of both parties, they will make, as you suggest, a Banjo with new and traditional elements.

Just got my 30th Trophy :D

Jonsoncao said:
Question: how can I operate that highest crate to unlock the fourth area(colosseum or sth)?
i use the trolley flying glitch to reach the top of the crate, but I dun think thats the game wants to do here........

Go to the crane in the lake, climb to the top, and activate that fucker with the wrench.

KILLIN IT.

1cesc said:
Do you get extra Jiggies or parts if you get X amount of trophies?

Every four trophies gets a Jiggie.

:D
EricDiesel said:
I dunno. It just feels like a poor substitute for Banjo-Kazooie rather than a true AAA sequel up to the caliber of the first two.

I have to say, I've haven't been this convinced I was playing a AAA game in a very long time. It's so polished, so innovative, so gorgeous, so deep.

It's fucking spectacular.

Mifune

Mehmber
VGChampion said:
Okay, after an extended break after being underwhelmed, I gave it another chance and had a blast. I'm finally into the vehicle creation and think it's wonderful. Small spoiler I guess but it's from the 4th Jiggy you get.

I could not get the coconut off of Gruntilda's vehicle. I kept making big vehicles and little vehicles with a bunch of pipes trying to get it to tip. I finally just created a giant block with two spoilers on it and got the coconut off in 2.85 seconds.

Yeah I just rammed my truck into her from the start and got the thing off in like 2 seconds also. First try too.

Really enjoying this game so far. It's very addictive.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Mifune said:
Yeah I just rammed my truck into her from the start and got the thing off in like 2 seconds also.

I know, me too. Both this and Viva Pinata have lost me many hours--they're both so addictive, time just flies by.

I'm actually disgusted by the 6/10 reviews I've seen, especially Gametrailer's recent review. I think how much you enjoy the game depends on how much you enjoy the vehicle creation aspect.

In fact, the game would have been better if they eliminated pre-set blueprints altogether, coercing the player to create vehicles for the individual challenges themselves (and then making their own blueprints). Relying on Humba's blueprints isn't any fun (well, it is, but nowhere near as fun as making vehicles on your own).

BenjaminBirdie said:
I have to say, I've haven't been this convinced I was playing a AAA game in a very long time. It's so polished, so innovative, so gorgeous, so deep.

I couldn't agree more. This is just so fresh--I wish everyone could see that.

Mifune said:
Yeah I just rammed my truck into her from the start and got the thing off in like 2 seconds also. First try too.

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how long it took me to do it. I thought I had to get under the vehicle and almost flip it to get the coconut out. Didn't realize it wasn't a real "tray".

Jonsoncao

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

Yes! cant agree more, its so polished in every subtle aspect

Brashnir

Mifune said:

I ended up getting stuck in the river with our vehicles completely fused together when a gruntbot came along and did the job for me.

I got first place on the challenge where you have to cook an egg for Klungo!
Either no one's playing this game or I'm badass because I've got tons of scores in the top 10.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Either no one's playing this game or I'm badass because I've got tons of scores in the top 10.

Waiting for the patch that makes the game readable on my TV.
:(

Frillen

Woffls said:

Or just swim with the tablet by yourself without any vehicles. ;) Worked fine with me.

Brashnir

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I got first place on the challenge where you have to cook an egg for Klungo!

I think you have to actually upload a score for it to count. I haven't uploaded any, and don't plan to. It should show you the leaderboard automatically, but it doesn't seem to.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This is certainly one of the best experiences I've had this gen. I think one of the main reasons I love the game is that I love games with really expansive an interesting hub world. Although, I'm not sure if I would call Showdown Town a hub world, really.

Such an enjoyable game. Although, I wish there were other ways to earn jiggies inside levels. I miss finding a hidden jiggy or something of that nature. I wish that challenges weren't the main focus.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Well been playing Banjo xbla since yesterday, and man, it still hold up well. Since i liked B&K: nuts and bolts demo, i am thinking of buying it. Though i do have a question, is the US game region free ?

Jonsoncao

Banned
lol@a loading screen tip

"you have been playing with vehicles a while and still dun like it? consider playing Banjo Kazooie XBLA instead"
:lol :lol :lol

even in-game ads is so polished, lol

Brashnir

Kandrick said:
Well been playing Banjo xbla since yesterday, and man, it still hold up well. Since i liked B&K: nuts and bolts demo, i am thinking of buying it. Though i do have a question, is the US game region free ?

The game is not region free.

Waikis

Man, playing this game makes me feel nauseous, but then I check my watch and turns out that I had been playing for 8 hours straight. :lol

Kudos to Rare for not artificially limiting the boxes and you can actually get them if you try hard enough (e.g stacking boxes) . I got some sweet sweet flappable wings and grenade launcher eventhough i only still have 12 jiggies. :D

Woffls

Man i think I'm addicted to this game. It's 3am here and i've been playing for like 12 hours straight. >______< Just made a helicopter that can (hopefully) carry 4 basketballs at a time! fingers crossed! :D

DogWelder

Fantastical said:
Such an enjoyable game. Although, I wish there were other ways to earn jiggies inside levels. I miss finding a hidden jiggy or something of that nature. I wish that challenges weren't the main focus.

There actually are hidden Jiggies; well I've found one at least.

Oliver.S

I am playing videogames for almost 20 years and this is the most underrated game of all time for me. I seriously can't believe it.

Maybe not of all time but its definitely very underrated. It kinda bothers me because it feels like RARE has put so much effort into it and its not getting the appreciation it deserves.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
1cesc said:
There actually are hidden Jiggies; well I've found one at least.
:O In what level did you find it?

Oliver.S said:
I am playing videogames for almost 20 years and this is the most underrated game of all time for me. I seriously can't believe it.
Not sure if it's the most underrated game of all time, but certainly this gen. It's extremely addictive. I played it most of today. It's just so fun and enjoyable. Lots of humor and jokes and its one of the best looking games of all time, IMO. I mean, flying over Nutty Acres and seeing the beautiful, shining water, and the volcano smoking in the distance... :D I just love it. Can't wait until Thanksgiving break! This will take up most of that.

Woffls

It's unfair that Rare, an esteemed developer, can put so much effort into a game, and make a true masterpeice, and still have hardly anyone appreciating just what they've achieved. Hopefully the $40 price point will be enough to get some people to buy it, this one could be a slow burner. I just hope it sells reasonably well, because Rare deserve it, they really do.

I just finished building a flight of stairs that can fly ;p

The music in nutty acres reminds me of pee wees big adventure, im loving everything about this game, I havnt touched gears or call of duty since I put this in my console.

Ya theres hidden jiggys in showdown town if you platform to certain areas.

KevinCow

Banned
Where is the Jiggoseum Act 2 entrance? I missed seeing it open and now I can't find it. It doesn't seem to be on the same building all the other Jiggoseum acts are.

Top Bottom