• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

KevinCow said:
Where is the Jiggoseum Act 2 entrance? I missed seeing it open and now I can't find it. It doesn't seem to be on the same building all the other Jiggoseum acts are.

It's in that complex. Just walk along the walls of all those buildings. I think it's in one of the interior alleys between them, close to where the Jiggie Spitter is for that world.

Brashnir

Wiggum2007 said:
Don't have the game, only seen the intro, but why is Gruntilda's head all robotic looking?

She's really a robot created by LOG.

this may or may not actually be true. I have no idea.

JRW

So I have 14 jiggies and is anyone else in awe at the graphics in Nutty Acres? So vibrant and detailed, The music is great as well.

I was curious tho.. Ive been collecting a ton of notes and ive bought every blueprint available (up to this point) is there ever a time when creating your own vehicles is necessary? I currently have 16 of Humbas blueprints.

JRW said:
So I have 14 jiggies and is anyone else in awe at the graphics in Nutty Acres? So vibrant and detailed, The music is great as well.

I was curious tho.. Ive been collecting a ton of notes and ive bought every blueprint available (up to this point) is there ever a time when creating your own vehicles is necessary? I currently have 16 of Humbas blueprints.

You'll at least be making lots of modifications if you want trophies, which you'll need to get every last jiggy.

JRW

BenjaminBirdie said:
You'll at least be making lots of modifications if you want trophies, which you'll need to get every last jiggy.

Up to this point ive gotten every trophy but we'll see how it goes further in the game.

Jonsoncao

Banned
“as you can see, all the tips here are quite useful, but this one is an exception, sorry about that”
:lol :lol :lol :lol
i really loled@this

Wiggum2007 said:
Don't have the game, only seen the intro, but why is Gruntilda's head all robotic looking?

At the start of the game, Banjo points out that none of them were really in good enough shape for a contest, so LOG magically sheds Banjo and Kazooie of their many pounds of extra fat and provides a robotic body to house Gruntilda's decapitated head.

fernoca

I laughed at LOGs comment about how he invented FPSs, yet it seems as if every game is a FPS nowdays..and that he bets a space marine is going to be in the game because of that... :p

And " You have win!"... :lol

Wiggum2007

autobzooty said:
At the start of the game, Banjo points out that none of them were really in good enough shape for a contest, so LOG magically sheds Banjo and Kazooie of their many pounds of extra fat and provides a robotic body to house Gruntilda's decapitated head.

Ya, I've seen that part, but I mean look at her head its all made of metal n stuff.

Chrange

Banned
jedimike said:
No way... you have to get at least three jiggies to be able to beat the first grunty quest which gives you grip tires on your trolley so you can get up the "slimy" hills out of the main complex in town.

Or you can float your shopping cart up there by putting something in the storage area, jumping on top of it, then 'grabbing' the cart itself.

VGChampion said:
Okay, after an extended break after being underwhelmed, I gave it another chance and had a blast. I'm finally into the vehicle creation and think it's wonderful. Small spoiler I guess but it's from the 4th Jiggy you get.

I could not get the coconut off of Gruntilda's vehicle. I kept making big vehicles and little vehicles with a bunch of pipes trying to get it to tip. I finally just created a giant block with two spoilers on it and got the coconut off in 2.85 seconds.

I got it out in just over a second, just by jumping off my vehicle immediately and using the 'grab' function to lift it out of her cart and into mine. Think outside the box!

Just started. I tried to upload the first video of the first TT trophy one:

"Nutty Acres Act 1 - Bangers 'n' Dash" - Which is the stage and event name.

-Cannot upload due to inappropriate language?

WTF? Rare. This is your shit that you wrote!

Sean

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Just started. I tried to upload the first video of the first TT trophy one:

"Nutty Acres Act 1 - Bangers 'n' Dash" - Which is the stage and event name.

-Cannot upload due to inappropriate language?

WTF? Rare. This is your shit that you wrote!

:lol same thing happens in Halo 3... all saved replays on the gametype Assault would get censored because of Ass being in it.

Sean said:
:lol same thing happens in Halo 3... all saved replays on the gametype Assault would get censored because of Ass being in it.
Apparently the affending word is "Bangers"? What?

Otherwise, loving it right now. All the quirky, self-deprecating humour with the old Rare games that I loved.

KevinCow

Banned
I love challenges that let you think outside of the box and come up with an easier solution. For example:

Challenge: Collect nuts and bring them to the nut sucker.

My solution:
Use the sticky ball to pick up the nut sucker, fly it over to the nuts, and suck them all up.

Challenge: Protect the trophy from flying enemies.

My solution:
Put the trophy in a truck and hide out in the volcano until time runs out.

44 Jiggies in. This game really is great.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
JRW said:

No way you are getting a vehicle you can use for Spiral Mountain. You have to have vehicle which:
-can drive fast
-can swim
-can fly
-can transport things
-can shoot

Woffls

Has anyone finished Klungo's game yet? I got to the 4th stage, but it was nearing 6am so I was losing it a little :p It's hilariously bad.

I now have 3 small jet engines and 2 big ones :D a ton of engines as well. I've got about 60 jiggies, and 30+ trophies. So far I've only used custom vehicles, most built from scratch for the challenge, I haven't bought any new blueprints yet.

KevinCow said:
I love challenges that let you think outside of the box and come up with an easier solution. For example:

Challenge: Collect nuts and bring them to the nut sucker.

My solution:
Use the sticky ball to pick up the nut sucker, fly it over to the nuts, and suck them all up.
I fucking loved that mission. I had so many other crazy solutions that were getting me TT trophies, but none were making it even close to the top 10. Then I downloaded a top 10 replay, and when I saw how everyone else was doing it it blew my fucking mind. :lol

Woffls said:
There are a ridiculous number of dick jokes in this game btw
Also a number of bear jokes and the intro to Jiggoseum identifies Blubber as a "Water Sports Enthusiast"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it's mainly the price tag pushing me, but I'm close to getting this game...but I really hated the demo. I usually agree with Gametrailers reviews so that doesn't bode well, and it showed theat the challenges don't get much more variety which was my biggest gripe. They were just meh and not really fun, but I did like the vehicle creation--which is obviously a huge point of the game.

Has anyone here not liked the demo but loved the actual game? It doesn't seem like the challenges or anything in the demo is an actual misrepresentation, but despite being a big demo it still limited the creativity you had to work with, which is basically limiting the key feature that I'd imagine makes the game addictive.

So I just put two crates in Mumbo's square thing and talked to him, I assumed it would unpack them one at a time but I got one "reveal" with 4 bumpers, 1 small engine, and something else that I can't remember. Both crates ended up disappearing. I have no way of knowing if putting two crates in at the same time worked or it only unpacked one and glitched/deleted the other one. I'm assuming it unpacked both at the same time, but can anyone confirm that Mumbo does this if you put more than one crate in at once?

Woffls

Papercuts said:
but I did like the vehicle creation--which is obviously a huge point of the game.

Has anyone here not liked the demo but loved the actual game?

This is the biggest hurdle for most people. The challenges don't get repetitive somehow. Becuase they're done slightly differently each time with different requirements and in different areas, how you approach it ends up being different

There were a few people on previous pages who didn't like the demo but have really taken to the full game. The missions in the demo were absolute pants really. A race with a camel boat, and probably the hardest mission in the game and some other rubbish.

MisterAnderson said:
can anyone confirm that Mumbo does this if you put more than one crate in at once?

If he doesn't then i've lost a TON of stuff. I am 95% certain he does though. This is Rare we're talking about, not Bethesda.

MisterAnderson said:
So I just put two crates in Mumbo's square thing and talked to him, I assumed it would unpack them one at a time but I got one "reveal" with 4 bumpers, 1 small engine, and something else that I can't remember. Both crates ended up disappearing. I have no way of knowing if putting two crates in at the same time worked or it only unpacked one and glitched/deleted the other one. I'm assuming it unpacked both at the same time, but can anyone confirm that Mumbo does this if you put more than one crate in at once?

Yes he does this. I did it in the demo.

Sean

Banned
I love the Crackdown-inspired achievement.

Climbed to the highest point of L.O.Gs tower and got an achievement (and a jiggy). So awesome.

Linkzg said:
This game is a lot of fun.

btw, anyone know the deal with the stop and swop thing?

Get 100% in Banjo Kazooie. If you already have a N&B save file the Stop n' Swop items are able to be obtained in the original game (the ice key and the various eggs). Once you have them, load up N&B and a cutscene will play for each item you have, showing you the lcoation of the SnS item boxes. Bring them to Mumbo and he will open them up.

iconoclast said:
Get 100% in Banjo Kazooie. If you already have a N&B save file the Stop n' Swop items are able to be obtained in the original game (the ice key and the various eggs). Once you have them, load up N&B and a cutscene will play for each item you have, showing you the lcoation of the SnS item boxes. Bring them to Mumbo and he will open them up.

k, thanks. I already have 100% in BZ

KevinCow

Banned
Does anyone know off the top of their head how many Jiggies you need to beat the game? I'd like to finish it by tomorrow, because I don't know when the next time I'll get to play it will be.

I've got 52 at the moment, so if it's anything above like 70, I guess I can pretty much forget it.

Sean

Banned
KevinCow said:
Does anyone know off the top of their head how many Jiggies you need to beat the game? I'd like to finish it by tomorrow, because I don't know when the next time I'll get to play it will be.

I've got 52 at the moment, so if it's anything above like 70, I guess I can pretty much forget it.

75 I think.

Kujo

iconoclast said:
Does using Stop 'N Swop open up anything in Banjo-Kazooie that wasn't in the N64 version?

What are in the SNS item boxes?

Woffls

I think you need something to get those statues off the boxes though
a horn
. Not sure when you get it.

So far I have the Ice Key and two eggs, not got anything from them yet besides cut scenes.

Stop n Swop probably unlocks stuff in Tooie, but deffo not in Kazooie, as far as i'm aware.

Mojo said:
Does using Stop 'N Swop open up anything in Banjo-Kazooie that wasn't in the N64 version?

What are in the SNS item boxes?

Getting the SnS items doesn't open anything new in BK (as far as I know anyway), aside from the areas where you get the items in the first place (the cave in treasure cove, the pyramid, etc).

In the boxes is
a bunch of purely cosmetic accessories for your vehicles, nothing useful. The only one I have so far is the box you get for the ice key, which gives you a miniature Union Jack flag to put on your vehicle.

painey

Ok so the crates with "ghost" pigs sitting on top that give the odd phrase.. you have to have BK XBLA arcade to get these?

painey said:
Ok so the crates with "ghost" pigs sitting on top that give the odd phrase.. you have to have BK XBLA arcade to get these?

You'll get a tool to remove them when completing the last world before the final showdown.

painey

Very cool, I was getting worried for a second there. I just got my 30th Jiggy (achievement unlocked!) and went on an incredible rampage of about 5 achievements in as many minutes. I kinda wish there was a better map because its so easy to miss doors. I really wish I could open up the last 2 levels because im getting a little tired with the ones I have, but I guess the grind is part of the game.

When do you unlock the second Gruntilda fight? I think I may already have access to it but I have no damn clue where it is and I get sidetracked whenever I go lookin' for it. So much stuff!

Papercuts said:
I think it's mainly the price tag pushing me, but I'm close to getting this game...but I really hated the demo. I usually agree with Gametrailers reviews so that doesn't bode well, and it showed theat the challenges don't get much more variety which was my biggest gripe. They were just meh and not really fun, but I did like the vehicle creation--which is obviously a huge point of the game.

Has anyone here not liked the demo but loved the actual game? It doesn't seem like the challenges or anything in the demo is an actual misrepresentation, but despite being a big demo it still limited the creativity you had to work with, which is basically limiting the key feature that I'd imagine makes the game addictive.
I disliked the demo. It's a mess. The stage chosen was not an ideal introduction, especially with that stupid defense mission. Too big, too overwhelming, the default vehicles handled like ass (not including hi-grip tires was a major mistake). And the tutorials were terribly done, with the near-unreadable font (even on my HDTV), the auto-scrolling text, fucking Mumbo's jibberish, the huge info dump instead of easing you into the game gradually...It's a terrible demo, as many people have already said, so I guess I'm just beating a dead horse.

The full game has a lot of these same issues, but...remember the Crackdown demo? That accelerated level progression was a fantastic idea. Had they limited you to the starter character everyone would have gone "This is it? You're just this weakass guy that jumps and shoots and collects green orbs for no reason?" Banjo would have benefited from a similar specially structured demo rather than just dumping you into the middle of the game like it did, making no real effort to show you what makes the game special. Yeah, you could collect parts and tweak your vehicle, but it didn't really matter. The challenges are simple and you could beat them without tinkering at all.

But in the full game this isn't really the case. The challenges are still mostly simple so far, and you can often earn the jiggies without much tinkering, but earning the trophies isn't always easy. You'll often have to go into the garage and work on your vehicle, and the great thing is you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. This isn't like some recent sandbox games, where the developer punishes you for trying to clear the mission in a way they didn't intend. You can totally cheat2win if you want, and it's great.

So yeah, if you enjoyed building there is a chance you will enjoy the full game. If you also enjoy exploration and collecting I think it's a pretty safe buy, especially at the price. It feels far more like a 3d platformer than I expected - the structure of GTA3 isn't THAT far removed from Mario 64's, y'know? There isn't an emphasis on jumping but the openness and exploration and secrets are all there, and I love that stuff.

This is long and I'm rambling, but yeah, was baffled and disappointed in the demo, love the full game.

CoilShot

Woffls said:
Has anyone beaten level 4 on Klungo's game?

It's haarrddd :( I can just tell the boss will be insane.

I'm still on level 3 but decide to take a break from it because it randomly freezes the game after you lose every 5 times or so :lol

Top Bottom