• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Blimblim said:
Actually it's 46 ;)
I'm still looking for a way to put that sphere on the plinth though. How am I supposed to get past the barrier in the center of the uptown?

Okay. You need to have the Shitbox upgrade that gives you scuba gear. (The Jiggoseum Grunty fight). Circle around that uptown promenade circular area in the water (you should have the floating Shitbox upgrade by now) and you'll find a sewer type opening just on the waterline. Go in that hole, underwater scuba style) and you'll find a spiral path up to the plinth.

AWESOME!

Mifune

Mehmber
OH my shit, I'm loving this game.

Climbed to the top of L.O.G's tower and got an achievement for it, ala Crackdown. AWESOME.

There's really so much to do outside of the challenges. I just can't get over how sickeningly far my 40 bucks have gone already. And I haven't even built any cool vehicles yet.

This thing just oozes style, personality, and fun. I already want a sequel.

Mifune said:

Climbed to the top of L.O.G's tower and got an achievement for it, ala Crackdown. AWESOME.

There's really so much to do outside of the challenges. I just can't get over how sickeningly far my 40 bucks have gone already. And I haven't even built any cool vehicles yet.

I can't wait until Photomode drops so I can show off my Toadstool 9000. The soul of a souped up racing car with three front mounted Egg Cannons, fully stocked with ammo, and mini Licktoad Pinata (SERIOUSLY!!!!) as a hood ornament. Once I settle down from my insane Jiggie lust, I really want to polish the design, add some spoilers and some neon. I might have to play all the way through BKX just to get those Fuzzy Dice!

:lol

This game is slept on more than Sealy Posturepedic.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
picked this up the other day, its fucking amazing. i wasnt entirely sold by the demo, but after a few hours i'm loving the full lgame. great presentation and humor, and exploring around on foot and building crazy vehicles is all top notch stuff.

JRW

Mifune said:

The more I play this game the more I realise how crazy addictive it is .. I cant seem to put it down, I definitely feel I got my moneys worth and I'm only at 18 jiggies.

Also I recently spent awhile making my own vehicle in one particular challenge and it felt GREAT when I finally came up with something that did the job.

Awesome game.

OH MY GOD I forgot to tell you guys.

I fucking beat the eye challenge. No lie, LEFT 4 DEAD style!!

I took the Hag Troll LOG racer and put a Grenade Turret and like seventy million pounds of ammo on it. (In case you were wondering, you can put both a driver's seat and a turret on a vehicle. Just drive it to where you want it to be, hop out, and hit the Y when it's in the scope icon.) So this fucker is so back heavy that when I get it into position, it won't stay on four wheels. So I get it to the right spot, it sinks backwards, but those fucking balls are already on their way. Kazooie tries her fucking hardest, but it just is too lopsided. There's no time. I say fuck it, stuff her back into the backpack and hop into the turret. It's completely on its side, all I can see is the floor to my left and waves of rolling electricity.

I just start fucking shooting. The balls turn red, explode, one of Clango's eyes rolls into the sea and I don't care. I all I can see are the grenades, and the fading sparks. The timer is nearing the edge of the yellow. I'm still shooting. And then I see it.

That perfect fucking Pong face.

It's the Lord Of Games.

One Jiggie down.

So many more to go.

Mifune

Mehmber
I fucked up at the LOG tower.

I got to the top and picked up the vehicle part. Tossed it over the side thinking I would have no problem finding it at the bottom. And now it's nowhere to be seen! Damn it all...

Glix

BenjaminBirdie said:
OH MY GOD I forgot to tell you guys.

I fucking beat the eye challenge. No lie, LEFT 4 DEAD style!!

I took the Hag Troll LOG racer and put a Grenade Turret and like seventy million pounds of ammo on it. (In case you were wondering, you can put both a driver's seat and a turret on a vehicle. Just drive it to where you want it to be, hop out, and hit the Y when it's in the scope icon.) So this fucker is so back heavy that when I get it into position, it won't stay on four wheels. So I get it to the right spot, it sinks backwards, but those fucking balls are already on their way. Kazooie tries her fucking hardest, but it just is too lopsided. There's no time. I say fuck it, stuff her back into the backpack and hop into the turret. It's completely on its side, all I can see is the floor to my left and waves of rolling electricity.

I just start fucking shooting. The balls turn red, explode, one of Clango's eyes rolls into the sea and I don't care. I all I can see are the grenades, and the fading sparks. The timer is nearing the edge of the yellow. I'm still shooting. And then I see it.

That perfect fucking Pong face.

It's the Lord Of Games.

One Jiggie down.

So many more to go.

So.

I own the game, and have not been able to play it, due to Gears and Mirrors Edge. I'm on the brink of taking down ME, so I was planning to dive in tonight.

I think I may wait another week or two, as BB's posts just keep getting me so psyched to play!!!!!

S1kkZ

Mifune said:

I got to the top and picked up the vehicle part. Tossed it over the side thinking I would have no problem finding it at the bottom. And now it's nowhere to be seen! Damn it all...

same problem. its just not there.

I just made a fuckin awesome hovercraft for this land/water race, at first I went with wheels with floaty design but couldnt get the trophy then I thought about it and built a hovercraft and got the trophy no problem. I cant stop playin this game. Just got an egg turret lol cant wait to throw this on my vehicles

painey

I love whoever in this thread said to take the Nut Sucker with me instead of bringing the nuts to them.. it took me seconds to beat a TT Trophy challenge that I had been tearing my hair out with doing it the proper way. For my next vehicle I am on the domino challenge, im planning on creating a chopper with a huge ball which I will drop into the center using the detachable hook

Some people have said the challenges get better as you get deeper into the game. Can anyone give me examples?

In the demo, you were doing simple challenges like racing through slalom gates, but it wasn't any different than the broom racing minigame in Harry Potter games, i.e. a junk minigame.

JRW

Mifune said:

I did the exact same thing , I watched it fall in front of the log tower but when I went down it was gone ,however I later found it on the windy road leading up to the tower (whew).

Mifune said:

The crazy shit is - with comments like this filling this thread, what the fuck were reviewers thinking?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I wish there were more unique levels. It would nice if in the different Acts, there were different aspects of the terrain or landmarks or overall look. The world doesn't change in the different acts over than challenges, right?

Sydle

APZonerunner said:
The crazy shit is - with comments like this filling this thread, what the fuck were reviewers thinking?

I thought it was common knowledge that professional reviewers have been out of touch with gamers for a while now, or did we already forget about the flawless scores GTA4 received?

watership

BenjaminBirdie said:
I can't wait until Photomode drops so I can show off my Toadstool 9000. The soul of a souped up racing car with three front mounted Egg Cannons, fully stocked with ammo, and mini Licktoad Pinata (SERIOUSLY!!!!) as a hood ornament. Once I settle down from my insane Jiggie lust, I really want to polish the design, add some spoilers and some neon. I might have to play all the way through BKX just to get those Fuzzy Dice!

:lol

This game is slept on more than Sealy Posturepedic.

I'm far behind in this threat; Why is photomode not available yet?

GremlinInTheMachine said:
Some people have said the challenges get better as you get deeper into the game. Can anyone give me examples?

In the demo, you were doing simple challenges like racing through slalom gates, but it wasn't any different than the broom racing minigame in Harry Potter games, i.e. a junk minigame.

They get varied. I mean, fundamentally, they are "tasks", but the variety comes in how you approach them. Each one involves something different. In one, you're not just doing a typical road race, you need to hop over obstacles and still protect yourself and win. In one, you have to herd a bunch of sheep balls (it'll make sense once you get there) to a second location. The problems: Limited Time and a thatch of bad guys hovering around one viable pathway (there are of course others). So, yes, on paper, the sheep balls are the same as any other herd or relocation task, but the circumstances are different.

Plus, as you get more parts, you're not going to be satisfied by just, say using a Push vehicle to scurry them back to the goal. You're going to have enough parts where you can actually consider what the most efficient approach is.

There are air races, as I intimated earlier in the thread, where you have to design an airplane within an inch of its life to:

a) Be fast enough to win
b) Be small enough to maneuver through a deeply crowded and complicated course

So, yes, on paper, it's "another race", if you want to look at it that way, but I haven't honestly come to one challenge where it's "Here we go again" and I use the same vehicle with the same load out and still do well. It just doesn't happen.

In fact, I did the first challenge in Terrarium of Terror with a pre-picked LOG vehicle (there are some where you're given a vehicle you have no choice but to use) that I honestly had no fucking clue how to win it. It was this insane thing with a bunch of like sails? And no forward momentum? And weighed like half a half of a pound? And hopped?

So yeah. There is an outrageous amount of variety in this game. That's why you hear everyone talking about how addicting it is. If you could succeed with just one well made vehicle for everything, it would be boring, and no one would be as addicted as everyone pretty much is.

It's an outstanding game.

KevinCow

Banned
I think I found a bug. In Banjo Land Act 4, there's a mission where you have to drive a camel through some gates. One of the gates doesn't register, thus rendering the mission impossible to complete.

GremlinInTheMachine said:

Some of my favorites were in the Jiggoseum level, where they give you challenges like launching a ball as far as you can, jumping off a slope as far as you can, knocking down as many dominoes as you can, things like that. The fun in the game is in building a vehicle that can do the job perfectly, be it just through being an extremely refined version of the obvious solution, or through thinking outside of the box and coming up with a creative solution.

The racing also gets better when you start getting better parts to make better vehicles.

KevinCow said:
I think I found a bug. In Banjo Land Act 4, there's a mission where you have to drive a camel through some gates. One of the gates doesn't register, thus rendering the mission impossible to complete.

Same thing happened to me. I realized I missed one. There's none left because you're like two gates from the end.

SO. I just took Flyboy Jr., my superlight superplane, on an Air Race through Nutty Acres, Act 6. FIRST of all. This shit is epically gorgeous. You have no idea until your guided through the levels upper reaches how stunning this game looks.

Secondly, PRO TIP: When in an Air Race, KEEP YOUR FINGER ON RB THE WHOLE TIME. This way you repair your shit immediately, before your parts fall too far for you to catch them. It feels a bit awkward at first, but I think my MOTHERFUCKING TT TROPHY will tell you, yeah, it's worth it.

:D

Fantastical

Death Prophet
BenjaminBirdie said:
Same thing happened to me. I realized I missed one. There's none left because you're like two gates from the end.

SO. I just took Flyboy Jr., my superlight superplane, on an Air Race through Nutty Acres, Act 6. FIRST of all. This shit is epically gorgeous. You have no idea until your guided through the levels upper reaches how stunning this game looks.

Secondly, PRO TIP: When in an Air Race, KEEP YOUR FINGER ON RB THE WHOLE TIME. This way you repair your shit immediately, before your parts fall too far for you to catch them. It feels a bit awkward at first, but I think my MOTHERFUCKING TT TROPHY will tell you, yeah, it's worth it.

:D
Something tells me this game excites you. :D

KevinCow

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Were you able to go back and get the one you missed? It was one on the scarf. I tried going through it, then backing through it and going through it again, then jumping out and running back and forth through it... nothing could get it to register. Either it's a bug, or my copy was just messed up.

Sean

Banned
I may be stupid but how do I download peoples blueprints and stuff? I'd like to see what people are creating and get some ideas.

KevinCow said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Were you able to go back and get the one you missed? It was one on the scarf. I tried going through it, then backing through it and going through it again, then jumping out and running back and forth through it... nothing could get it to register. Either it's a bug, or my copy was just messed up.

I just started the race over and everything worked fine when did all the rings right.

In other happy news, I thought the Terrarium level was weird, do yourself a favor and Helicopter through it. It's a pretty amazingly designed world. I don't want to spoil too much but, wow. Fucking phenomenal looking.

I actually gave this game a break today... I was playing so much that I just knew I was going to hit a point where I overdid it and never wanted to go back.

(Yeah, it's strange... but I've had it happen for me a few times!)

Rare is really weird

First off, they make a shitty Atari-like game instead of going into their extensive collection of games from the past to base it on.

Second, they have fake game freezes. It's not just once and a 'haha', they happen all the time. I can only hope that no one playtested these parts because the thought that there is someone out there that thinks this is a good idea scares me and only helps make the world a worse place.

Brashnir

Played a little earlier and ran into a problem. The last time I played, I was carrying around the game globe (the third one you get I think) and was trying to get it into a cage near the docks. I got sick and had to quit playing, and when I came back a couple days later, I can't find the game globe. I tried going up to LOG's factory and get a new one, but it wasn't there. I see what looks like one in the general docks area stuck to a ceiling, but I can't move or even target it with my wrench.

Ideas? Also, how do you get it into that cage? I carried it up to the roof where the tube leads and the top of the tube was closed off.

EazyB

Banned
Linkzg said:
Second, they have fake game freezes. It's not just once and a 'haha', they happen all the time. I can only hope that no one playtested these parts because the thought that there is someone out there that thinks this is a good idea scares me and only helps make the world a worse place.
Is it really that big of a deal to you? I thought it was pretty funny and the fact that the game is really simple and easy to beat prevents it from being frustrating.

Brashnir said:
Played a little earlier and ran into a problem. The last time I played, I was carrying around the game globe (the third one you get I think) and was trying to get it into a cage near the docks. I got sick and had to quit playing, and when I came back a couple days later, I can't find the game globe. I tried going up to LOG's factory and get a new one, but it wasn't there. I see what looks like one in the general docks area stuck to a ceiling, but I can't move or even target it with my wrench.
This happened to me, too. Go by the docks and you'll find the globe attached to a crane magnet. Swim to the island in the middle of the water, climb up, and you can use the crane to drop the globe into the pipe or whatever it is.

Brashnir

Rummy Bunnz said:
This happened to me, too. Go by the docks and you'll find the globe attached to a crane magnet. Swim to the island in the middle of the water, climb up, and you can use the crane to drop the globe into the pipe or whatever it is.

ah, so that's a crane magnet it's stuck to huh? ok, thanks.

Mifune

Mehmber
Brashnir said:

Ideas? Also, how do you get it into that cage? I carried it up to the roof where the tube leads and the top of the tube was closed off.

That's a crane it's stuck to.

Find a way to get in control of that crane.

One of my favorite little moments in the game.

Jonsoncao

Banned
APZonerunner said:
they review the game for everyone, and this game is so flawless and polished in every aspect of its gameplay(deep and rewarding), together with tons of details really top notch in years of its genre, however it is DEFINITELY not suitable for casual gamers who are usually misguided by the boxarts and world settings

KevinCow

Banned
Jonsoncao said:
they review the game for everyone, and this game is so flawless and polished in every aspect of its gameplay(deep and rewarding), together with tons of details really top notch in years of its genre, however it is DEFINITELY not suitable for casual gamers who are usually misguided by the boxarts and world settings

There are a lot of games that don't appeal to everyone that get great scores. The game probably just had too many colors and too little shooting for the average game reviewer.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Oh man. If you guys want to see flawless go watch my replay for Wasting Away (Banjo Land Act 2). First place baby. I doubt anyone will ever top it. Wow.

Which one was that again?

Jonsoncao

Banned
btw were can i get the key parts for that HUMBO Cargo COPTER?

i am still missing that hook part(or any kinds of things that can lift up heavy stuff)......

or is there any other kinds of vehicle can handle that bowling lifting and placing quest in Jiggosseum?

i tried several ones based on the design of CAGE, but its way too hard to control...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Brashnir said:

Wait, I know you found it, but when you say you went back to LOG's factory, did you try activating the switch to get a new globe? I thought that just gave you a new globe regardless of where it was.

Brashnir

Fantastical said:
Wait, I know you found it, but when you say you went back to LOG's factory, did you try activating the switch to get a new globe? I thought that just gave you a new globe regardless of where it was.

yeah, the switch wasn't usable.

Jonsoncao said:

Like fuck do they, that's one of the problems with 'game journalism,' really. The stuff here is no more complex than the gameplay in GTA4, and the vehicle editing no more complex than forge in Halo 3.

That aside, I took this round to my cousin's house for a family get together. He's 9. He loves it. He wants it for Christmas, he really enjoyed the hour or so he played - the first few challenges in Nutty Acres.

I came back to the game after leaving him for a while longer and found he and my mom sitting with it. My mom had the controller, and they were trying to break out of various barriers in Showdown Town to get more vehicle parts, and succeeding. They'd also made an awesome, awesome car/helicopter combo. This game is deep, but it's easy to play. It's as deep as you want it to be. They weren't making stuff as complex as I was, but they were completing challenges and getting on fine all the same.

There seems to be this attitude among gamers (fueled by the rise of things like Wii Music) that casual gamers are fucking idiots. But back in the day, games like Banjo and Mario were the casual games, and this fits into that genre perfectly. My mom was very pleased when I said to her "you know, this is made by the same people who made diddy kong racing" - the last game she played and loved, years ago.

Not all the reviews are wrong. I think anything in the 7-9 range is fine for this game, depending on the reviewer. Higher than 9 is too much, I think, because while this game is polished to perfection there's just things I'd change. But these places it giving it, 4, 5 and 6-point-something are fucking nuts. Even if you don't like the direction this game has taken the series, the game is so well put together, so pretty, so fun and so easy to create stuff with it deserves at least a 7, even if "omg the handling sucks."

...Which the handling doesn't suck if you build a vehicle that suits you.

Top Bottom