• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

One thing on the crane magnet... there's two switches near there. One is for letting the guy out of his prison (and is closest to the magnet)... the other controls the magnet.

Not actually sure where the magnet one is though as my missus did it while I was away from the console.

KevinCow

Banned
What's the key to building a good plane? Good boats and helicopters are easy to make, and I was able to make a good car (motorcycle, actually) when I realized that loading it up with engines made it way too heavy and I settled on two large engines for a great balance between speed and handling. But I still don't know how to make a plane that even handles well, much less one that has both speed and handling.

KevinCow said:
What's the key to building a good plane? Good boats and helicopters are easy to make, and I was able to make a good car (motorcycle, actually) when I realized that loading it up with engines made it way too heavy and I settled on two large engines for a great balance between speed and handling. But I still don't know how to make a plane that even handles well, much less one that has both speed and handling.

Take Humba Plane 1, add a Small Jet engine, a Large Propeller in front on the nose, and plenty of fuel. That'll add enough weight to keep it stable and enough power to keep it fast.

I call her Flyboy, Jr.

Jonsoncao

Banned
KevinCow said:

Mustang2_DSC_3436.jpg

SopwithCamel.jpg

try to replicate these, it works

Oliver.S

KevinCow said:
I think I found a bug. In Banjo Land Act 4, there's a mission where you have to drive a camel through some gates. One of the gates doesn't register, thus rendering the mission impossible to complete.
In this mission, you have to drive fast through the gates. Just look at the speedometer. There is an icon to help the player.

Jon

I got my Amazon pre-order on Saturday, and was able to finally get a chance to play it this afternoon. I am blown away; it has really exceeded my expectations. I didn't taint my impressions with the demo because by that time, my money had already been spent. I half expected the vehicles to be annoying and ruin the "core Banjo feel," but that has not been the case whatsoever. I can understand the mixed reviews it has gotten from critics and players alike, but luckily for me I have found a gem of a game to stem the tide all the way to Christmas. I have a feeling this could be a game where I actually go for 1000 gamerscore.

Are there ever homing attacks or some form of proper aiming later on? I'm trying to do this mission inside the 720 where I have to stop these guys from destroying these chips, but actually aiming is just a mess.

Waikis

Linkzg said:
Are there ever homing attacks or some form of proper aiming later on? I'm trying to do this mission inside the 720 where I have to stop these guys from destroying these chips, but actually aiming is just a mess.

Yeah there's a homing weapon later on. I haven't tried it though.

Linkzg said:

Most weapons I've found are generally auto aim as long as they're in front of you, it hasn't caused me too many issues. The Egg Grenades help since there's splash damage.

That said, you get an egg turret pretty quickly, at least I did. I don't remember where I found it, but I had it by the time I had 15 Jiggies. You can jump out of the vehicle and then jump into the turret for full manual aim.

Sean

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Whoa. I just heard that holding LB during text slows it down! This is great news if it's true. I can't test it right now.

I just tested and can confirm it works - text scrolls a LOT slower when holding LB (like 1 or 2 characters at a time).

I haven't started playing, so I'm not gonna rag on the game. But I'm disappointed that the game is not standard platformer. WTF? Why did the genre die? Super Mario Galaxy has sold a zillion copies . . . don't these other companies wanna make some money?

I finally picked up Ratchet & Clank: ToD and that is providing some platforming fun . . . but it is also battle heavy.

I just played the Simpsons, and that was better than I expected. Too short but well written and funny.

PSGames

Sean said:
I just tested and can confirm it works - text scrolls a LOT slower when holding LB (like 1 or 2 characters at a time).

That's awesome but there shold be an option to have this active at all times. And we press 'A' or whatever to speed it up when we choose to.

p3tran

Banned
KevinCow said:
I think I found a bug. In Banjo Land Act 4, there's a mission where you have to drive a camel through some gates. One of the gates doesn't register, thus rendering the mission impossible to complete.

you need to pass through it with moar speed!!1!

edit: quoted/answered fromprevious page, Oliver.S already answered that :D

radeonxt

Has anyone tried an asia version of the game and seen if it is or not region free?

When does the asia version supposed to be released?

thanks.

speculawyer said:
I haven't started playing, so I'm not gonna rag on the game. But I'm disappointed that the game is not standard platformer. WTF? Why did the genre die? Super Mario Galaxy has sold a zillion copies . . . don't these other companies wanna make some money?

Rare looked at Galaxy and said "You know what? Pinnacle of the old fashioned adventure genre. Can't do better."

And fucking good for them for admitting it, rather than trotting something out that is merely the same or worse.

But really. I've just played through the original Banjo 100% as of yesterday, and it's a lot less like Mario 64 and Galaxy than I remembered. And it's a lot more like Nuts & Bolts than I ever thought it would be. While Mario 64 was about platforming missions, Banjo was always, it seems, about challenges and minigames, with some platforming segments. But much more of Banjo 1 is completed through puzzles and minigames than platforming.

Bodom78

I'm generally pretty bad when it comes to any sort of customization when it comes to games. Would this impact on the enjoyment of the game?

It sounds like you really need to be spot on with what you build for the challenges. Does the game give you a helping had in the way of building what is required for a challenge?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
You can buy pre-made vehicles that can get you through most of the challenges, getting TT Trophies is another matter.

Bodom78

Deacan said:
You can buy pre-made vehicles that can get you through most of the challenges, getting TT Trophies is another matter.

Nice, good to know. Defiantly considering getting this, 3 More days till its out in AUS :D

soco

i like the actual game start a lot more than the the demo start. the first few challenges feel so much better and there's an actual progression going on, especially with parts.

the demo i just didn't feel all that much, but i'm enjoying the actual game.

soco said:
i like the actual game start a lot more than the the demo start. the first few challenges feel so much better and there's an actual progression going on, especially with parts.

the demo i just didn't feel all that much, but i'm enjoying the actual game.

I agree, I liked the demo but didn't think the game was that great. I'm loving the full game on the other hand. Defending Clanker's eyes was a pretty shitty mission, and racing a camel-car was kinda dull. Bad mission choices for the demo IMO...

That, and having so many more awesome pieces to customize your vehicles with in the full game, of course.

Just got #8 (I think) on the Need for Seed challenge in the Terrarium of Terror. The plane I made has some very touchy handling, surprised I managed a decent score. I love making a vehicle and then watching it fail miserably by some massive oversight I made while thinking of what I needed :lol Makes it all the more satisfying when you make a vehicle that can easily get a TT trophy the next time you try.

This game also has by far the best graphics I've seen on a 360/PS3 game. Like, by a landslide. Amazing. The music is awesome too.

Woffls

Awww dammit, I wasn't gonna' play this today because I feel sick, but reading this thread means I have to go back to it and have more Banjo fun >_<

I'm glad there are people who are slowly turning around to this game, there really is so much fun that a lot of people are missing out on. It's fine that it reviews an 8 average, it is about that good for most people. But what really fucking pisses me off is when people refuse to accept that it is actually an amazing game if you care to put the effort in, and that Rare are incapable of making quality games. This game has restored my faith in Rare's ability 100% and I have no doubt that it will continue.

ALSO after completing the game, can you go back and do all the challenges again??

painey

argh, I keep earning Jiggys but im not unlocking the last 2 worlds.. how many Jiggys do I need? I think I have 40, maybe just under.

iconoclast said:
This game also has by far the best graphics I've seen on a 360/PS3 game. Like, by a landslide. Amazing. The music is awesome too.

I'll admit, I've seen maybe one and a half PS3 games first hand, but graphically it's the most visually impressive game I own.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'll admit, I've seen maybe one and a half PS3 games first hand, but graphically it's the most visually impressive game I own.

I'm waiting for the inevitable photo mode thread. Rare, or whoever is in charge of the site needs to get that up and running ASAP.

iconoclast said:
I'm waiting for the inevitable photo mode thread. Rare, or whoever is in charge of the site needs to get that up and running ASAP.

What I love, aside from the phenomenal texture work, art design, and color, is the detail of moving parts. Check out your plane engine the next time you're flying it. Shit is MAD detailed.

Woffls

HOLY CRAP the final boss on Klungo's game was EPIC xD

Best looking game I've seen as well, Rare have always had spectacular art direction.... no not Klungo's game :p

p3tran

Banned
iconoclast said:

I've seen a post on their forums, stating that they needed to work something with the database,
and that the photo mode will be up very soon.

Sean

Banned
Costanza said:
Where is the Klungo game? I looked everywhere for it last time and couldn't find the pier.

once you get the high grip tires for your trolley (nutty acres act 3 i think?) you can climb a small hill behind the L.O.G. tower, it's right back there. you'll see a beach and klungos arcade thing is on the end of the pier there.

Woffls

It's hard to miss once you're there, but i'd just go to the top of LOG's palace and take a look round. It has Klungo written on the front and it's out in the water on its own with a walkway leading up to it :D

Anyone who said Banjo doesn't havn't hardcore platforming in clearly doesn't know about Klungo's.

BenjaminBirdie said:
What I love, aside from the phenomenal texture work, art design, and color, is the detail of moving parts. Check out your plane engine the next time you're flying it. Shit is MAD detailed.

Yep, the entire world is so polished it's unreal. For a game with levels that are beyond massive, EVERYTHING has a lot of detail put into it. The 4x AA and a fairly steady frame rate (dips on occasion) just seals the deal for me. I'm also a sucker for colorful, stylized games.

I just hope Rare doesn't drop the N&B formula if the game doesn't sell well, since it's a pretty great game. I can see where people are coming from when they say they don't like the building aspect though. Definitely not for everyone.

iconoclast said:
Yep, the entire world is so polished it's unreal. For a game with levels that are beyond massive, EVERYTHING has a lot of detail put into it. The 4x AA and a fairly steady frame rate (dips on occasion) just seals the deal for me. I'm also a sucker for colorful, stylized games.

Wait until you see the glass and windows on Terrarium. It's just phenomenal.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait until you see the glass and windows on Terrarium. It's just phenomenal.

Yep, I'm there now. It is awesome.

Just got #2 on the Taxi of Terror mission in ToT. I credit it to the fuzzy dice.

painey

woo, finally got the last ball, but I need to beat the Water Grunty fight to place it on its stall and I need a good blueprint to even think of beating her

Woffls

iconoclast said:
Just got #2 on the Taxi of Terror mission in ToT. I credit it to the fuzzy dice.

I'm working on something for that mission right now. It's a dettachable helicopter/car :D very top heavy when driving though, might modify it to a plane/limo style instead.

painey said:
woo, finally got the last ball, but I need to beat the Water Grunty fight to place it on its stall and I need a good blueprint to even think of beating her

It's not too tough. Just get a good boat with a big tray. Humba should have one at that point. Grunty didn't really pose that much a challenge. The water physics on that board are crazy though. She causes enough trouble just stirring up these really slight waves that push your ball juuust out of reach of Kazooie's golden lasso.

ok, im stupid, where the heck do I get the second jiggy in the first world?

I don't see any guy with a jiggy over his head, and there seems to be no way to access a map to find out

Waikis

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's not too tough. Just get a good boat with a big tray. Humba should have one at that point. Grunty didn't really pose that much a challenge. The water physics on that board are crazy though. She causes enough trouble just stirring up these really slight waves that push your ball juuust out of reach of Kazooie's golden lasso.

Heh,I did that mission with a vehicle shaped like :
____
|
|
|------
|
___|
(topdown view)

No cart was involved : p.

edit: damn formatting, I cant draw the vehicle >< .

Top Bottom