• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Darklord

Banned
I was thinking, why the hell does this game get docked points for not being like the other Banjo games, yet GTA4 which cuts all the craziness and funny parts out of GTA, the thing that made it so awesome and memorable to begin with, and yet it gets 9's and 10's?

Darklord said:
I was thinking, why the hell does this game get docked points for not being like the other Banjo games, yet GTA4 which cuts all the craziness and funny parts out of GTA, the thing that made it so awesome and memorable to begin with, and yet it gets 9's and 10's?
Double Standards, hype, etc.

Nice.

See what happens when you play something?
And not thinking about the sequels all the time while playing...

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, both happen to be exceptional gaming experiences. I'd put them both on the same top shelf of my gaming collection.
Sure, I just think that the reviewers failed on both games. GTAIV is great, but not as great as they made me think it is, and Banjo is far better for me than what most reviewers think about it.

Hellraizer said:
Sure, I just think that the reviewers failed on both games. GTAIV is great, but not as great as they made me think it is, and Banjo is far better for me than what most reviewers think about it.

I'm having a blast with this game. It feels like a natural progression/variation of the genre... force yourself to build a new vehicle for each challenge and you will get the point of the game - if you just use the blueprints (obviously there for the kids) you will find the challenges boring. Part of the equation is in building...

Wizpig

Jonsoncao said:
i also installed teh game, the choppy blueprint shop menu gets better, the loading is a little bit faster, and no audio glitches for me so far

btw im still using my old 20G HDD
Ah, you made me remember something about the first parts you get from Mumbo at the beginning of the game; i didn't get why only the first 4-5 parts or so are descripted by Mumbo while for others you don't get the description.
I guess it's all explained in Mumbo's Pad?

And another thing/rant/glitch: since i put my 360 in English i've got the first achievement of the game [Worthless collector:lol fuck you Rare:lol ] in English, but then i put the dashboard in Italian again and so i have the other achievements listed in Italian... how can i fix this?
Guess i can't.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've only played about 3 hours of this and it's already my GOTY. I had a smile on my face the whole time. It was good that I got Banjo XBLA to freshen me up on the series.

The gameplay is fun, the graphics are among the best I've ever seen (draw distance is absurd), and the whole vibe is just really joyful. The writing is great, with tons of in-jokes. There's so much to do that I'm still overwhelmed, but stuff is starting to make sense, and I'm beginning to mess around with making vehicles, which I know is key to getting the most out of this game.

I'm hoping Rare will use this insane engine they've built for at least one sequel to this game
and a proper Banjo 3 platformer

EagleEyes

Absolutely loving this game game so far. The Giant Bomb review actually looks like someone took their time to enjoy the game for what it is. Bravo Rare.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
there's a golden note you get, if you move Mumbo's house away, those were the last ten notes I was missing (and I found them because I was getting angry after having searched for 2 hours and just wanted to destroy as much of the level as possible ;()

Wizpig

FUUUUUUUUCK i made 2 awesome photos and forgot to upload them from the game.
Halo 3 auto-uploades them :(

But anyway the game's graphics are really something, the only thing i don't like about graphics are the shadows on the characters and on some parts of the game; quite bad.

Artanisix

So I was watching some videos, and the vehicle control looks really strange and "light" feeling, if you know what I mean. Not too sure I'm ready to jump in on this yet, as much as I loved the first two. How's the vehicle control?

Artanisix said:
So I was watching some videos, and the vehicle control looks really strange and "light" feeling, if you know what I mean. Not too sure I'm ready to jump in on this yet, as much as I loved the first two. How's the vehicle control?

The only thing about the driving is when you begin to reverse. It's un-intuitive. Also, there are no handbrake.

But the "light driving" you saw is totally dependable on the vehicle you create. My tank has problem moving, but my racer is too light sometimes.

Artanisix said:

The first time you control a vehicle your going to crash. a lot. It's once you get the hang of it that it starts getting better. They've made it extremely easy to get back up and moving by just pressing RB when you fall and once you get better wheels you'll never want to go back for most vehicles.

stewacide

I want to play this so badly, but can't until the text fix is out :(

PLEASE PLEASE hurry Rare!

I just can't fathom how they let it ship like this.

Wizpig

stewacide said:

Wait, there's already a patch, if that doesn't fix the text what's it there for?

Also, can someone please explain me Stop 'n Swop?
I don't want spoilers, i just want to understand when and where should i look for it to make the first step.
Banjo XBLA? N&B? beginning of the game? end of the game?

KevinCow

Banned
Wizpig said:
I don't want spoilers, i just want to understand when and where should i look for it to make the first step.
From what I understand, you collect some certain items in Banjo XBLA, then when you load up your N&B game it'll automatically unlock something and show you where to go.

JSnake

Domino Theory said:
So what are you supposed to do to get a bunch of vehicles to go over a "set speed" for the achievements?

Well, for the minimalist one, just put a chair with a spring underneath it. Seriously, that's it.

stewacide

Wizpig said:
Wait, there's already a patch, if that doesn't fix the text what's it there for?

Er, the patch is out now? I've been monitoring Google News and haven't seen, just that they 'promised' to have a fix within 30 days.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Wizpig said:
But anyway the game's graphics are really something, the only thing i don't like about graphics are the shadows on the characters and on some parts of the game; quite bad.
Main problem with the shadows is that they go jaggy at a certain distance from you then seemed to get increased detail / AA as they get closer. I'm sure it's a good idea in terms of performance but it's quite noticeable in place.

stewacide said:
Er, the patch is out now? I've been monitoring Google News and haven't seen, just that they 'promised' to have a fix within 30 days.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

No text patch is out. God knows what the Day 1 patch did.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
stewacide said:

Can anyone confirm/deny?

There's a patch out, but I don't know what it does. Hopefully someone in this thread has an SDTV to test it on.

Gowans

just spent an hour dicking around in the editor, send me some cool blueprints guys, my stuff has been a joke.

the massive unicycle I made didn't work :(

Wizpig

I tried that bug with the crate that lets you fly, it's fun but come on, nobody's going to spoil themselves Showdown town with that, aren't they?
Rare should fix it anyway imho.

Darklord said:

Rare's cheque wasn't big enough obviously.

Anyway, finally got to play this last night, except I'm still pretty much where the demo is. Fucking GORGEOUS game to look at. Rare have the hardware down pat.

I can't WAIT to see the next Perfect Dark.

I really enjoy this game though.

hulot

Gowans007 said:
just spent an hour dicking around in the editor, send me some cool blueprints guys, my stuff has been a joke.

the massive unicycle I made didn't work :(

I've got a motorcycle with retractable wings :lol

Pyrokai

Yeah, there's some instances where I have to remind myself that it's not a Pixar film...

Anyway, I have a couple more questions:

First, what's the best way to get the Jiggies from the Banjo Land Jig-O-Vend? I try to drive through the water, but obviously that doesn't work well and the Jiggies just float away and I have to fetch them. It's so annoying!

Also, why are some Humbe Blueprints unplayable and have the "!" mark when you get them? Is it because you haven't found the part it uses yet?

I'm up to 17 hard-earned Jiggies! I really feel like that's an accomplishment. Jiggies feel exceptionally rewarding in this game, and Trophies even more so! I'm having a lot of fun. My vehicles are still a bit primitive and I frequently modify Humba Blueprints to be more condusive, but there have been a couple vehicles I've just been so proud of that really got the job done!

Glix

stewacide said:

If your SD TV has S-Video or Component input, use those! Right now, I'm using S-Video, and while the text isn't great, it is readable.

Pyrokai said:
Yeah, there's some instances where I have to remind myself that it's not a Pixar film...

Anyway, I have a couple more questions:

First, what's the best way to get the Jiggies from the Banjo Land Jig-O-Vend? I try to drive through the water, but obviously that doesn't work well and the Jiggies just float away and I have to fetch them. It's so annoying!

Also, why are some Humbe Blueprints unplayable and have the "!" mark when you get them? Is it because you haven't found the part it uses yet?

I'm up to 17 hard-earned Jiggies! I really feel like that's an accomplishment. Jiggies feel exceptionally rewarding in this game, and Trophies even more so! I'm having a lot of fun. My vehicles are still a bit primitive and I frequently modify Humba Blueprints to be more condusive, but there have been a couple vehicles I've just been so proud of that really got the job done!

1) There's probably a Grunty fight you haven't done that should get you an upgrade for your Showdown Town Shitbox

2) Yes, it's because you're missing parts.

Don't give up, though. Enjoy!

:D

Wizpig said:
I tried that bug with the crate that lets you fly, it's fun but come on, nobody's going to spoil themselves Showdown town with that, aren't they?
Rare should fix it anyway imho.
I used that glitch in the demo, but it seemed wrong to use it in the full game so I never bothered.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So I finally unlocked the Terrarium level and... Holy shit!!! I had seen a few pictures, but nothing could have prepared me for that. Incredible.

SuperPac

Question. So... in Showdown Town you can't use any other vehicle than the starting cart, right? So does getting the various notes and things that're up high just involve trying to jump your way up there or is there a method to the madness? 'Cuz it seems a lot of the heights I'm getting to in Showdown Town involve me jumping and catching hairline ledges on doors to get up there.

And that just doesn't seem like the way I'm supposed to be doing things.

SuperPac said:
Question. So... in Showdown Town you can't use any other vehicle than the starting cart, right? So does getting the various notes and things that're up high just involve trying to jump your way up there or is there a method to the madness? 'Cuz it seems a lot of the heights I'm getting to in Showdown Town involve me jumping and catching hairline ledges on doors to get up there.

Do Grunty fights for upgrades.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Do Grunty fights for upgrades.
In case that's not clear, just progress through the game. You'll gain upgrade as you go. ;)

Gowans

SuperPac said:

Grunty Challenges upgrade your cart also it took me ages to work out that I should be climbing up lamposts and walking along power lines.

mm04

I installed this game last night and have yet to play it, but I plan to get some time in this weekend. My nephew (10 year old) finished it a few days ago and he absolutely loves it. He's even posted some of his contraptions on the official site and has been bugging me to get online with him.

The reviews on this game truly are polarizing. I know the phrase gets used a lot, but you have very high scores from Chuff from 1up and Brad from Giant Bomb and then you have that absolute submarine job by Kohler.

Really, one of the bonuses of listening to podcasts is that you really get the feel of the tastes of gaming editors and for me, because of that I trust the opinions of some more than others. I like the Giant Bomb guys so I'm more likely to put more weight on their opinions than others. So when I hear Brad gushing over Banjo and Chuff saying he pre-ordered the game as soon as he finished reviewing it, the game must be pretty good. Hopefully, I "get it" when I play it. I'm definitely not going in wishing it were like the original Banjo because I've never played it!

mm04 said:
I installed this game last night and have yet to play it, but I plan to get some time in this weekend. My nephew (10 year old) finished it a few days ago and he absolutely loves it. He's even posted some of his contraptions on the official site and has been bugging me to get online with him.

The reviews on this game truly are polarizing. I know the phrase gets used a lot, but you have very high scores from Chuff from 1up and Brad from Giant Bomb and then you have that absolute submarine job by Kohler.

Really, one of the bonuses of listening to podcasts is that you really get the feel of the tastes of gaming editors and for me, because of that I trust the opinions of some more than others. I like the Giant Bomb guys so I'm more likely to put more weight on their opinions than others. So when I hear Brad gushing over Banjo and Chuff saying he pre-ordered the game as soon as he finished reviewing it, the game must be pretty good. Hopefully, I "get it" when I play it. I'm definitely not going in wishing it were like the original Banjo because I've never played it!

Prediction: You'll Love It

I think maybe 2 people in this entire thread haven't.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Nice.

See what happens when you play something?

I was actually thinking about this today, did the people who gave it bad scores completely forgo the creation aspect of the game? I mean, you can play the game (it would be very hard) only using Humba blueprints and things like that. If you couldn't create vehicles, this game would be pretty weak (the stages where you're forced to use a vehicle are SO BAD! I don't know what Rarre designed worse, Avatars or LOG vehicles...ok, Avatars, but still). The fun comes from making your stupidly overpowered vehicle to accomplish a minor task.

Anyone know how many stop n swop crates there are in showdown town? I'm at 52 / 57 crates collected and having scoured the area the stop n swop crates are the only one's I think I'm missing.

Also... what's the score with the
ice key thing on boggy's gym
?

Psychotext said:
Anyone know how many stop n swop crates there are in showdown town? I'm at 52 / 57 crates collected and having scoured the area the stop n swop crates are the only one's I think I'm missing.

Also... what's the score with the
ice key thing on boggy's gym
?

A stop n swop crate is up there when you unlock it from Banjo Kazooie XBLA

Cj70

Ok this game is so much fun :lol feel like im playing in a theme park :D

Really needed a funny fun game like this for my collection lol

So...am I the only one that's hugely disappointed with Rare's Stop'n'Swop effort? This was supposed to be the most epic link between sequels ever, and now, Tooie isn't even involved at all.

After 10 years of waiting, all I get is
a cheap British flag to stick on my car and other useless junk?
:(

I'm about to turn the game on and collect the rest of the Stop'n'Swop crates, but I'm doubting that it will get much better.

Top Bottom