• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

soco

SapientWolf said:
Was that in the game? Rare seems kind of bitter about being forced to be Microsoft's casual game factory.

funny i see that as good humour poking fun of the fans because it's pretty much everything people keep pining for on forums.

Petrie

Banned
I didn't like the demo too much, but picked it up since the GS clerk gave me 2 cards for the original in order to get me not to cancel, and since a friend wanted that as well, it was worth it. Finally gave it a shot today, and when I looked up 2 hours had passed in what I thought was maybe 30 minutes. I haven't gotten far, I think i have 8 or so jigglies, as I'm too enamored with trying to get all the notes and parts in the town. I haven't made too many vehicles, as I want to get more parts first, but putting them together is a lot of fun. My biggest gripe is that I wish Kazooie had been used for some platforming in the town, as I keep being tempted to try and double jump and such with him, forgetting it isn't part of it. Otherwise though, glad I picked it up. Won't finish it quickly, will play it here and there, which isn't an insult, as I've done the same with Mario Galaxy and am still nowhere near finished with that.

65q4j8x9wmr2pibeqn1.jpg

soco

i finally started getting to some points that i find unbelievably frustrating. that plane race against Humba in the logbox 720 and the 100 pixels off one were both unbelievably annoying. sometimes i think Rare doesn't understand how to make things difficult without making them frustrating. trying to fly with tons of shit on the walls in the 720 level is retarded. i hope there's some special parts in the end that make your planes handle better, or that i was just missing something obvious.

the 100 pixels off one often had all kinds of weird things where suddenly my vehicle would just turn 180 degrees for no apparent reason. i assume one of the wheels came off the ground and this caused the physics to fuck up, but seriously they could've given a vehicle where the wheels weren't so closely spaced out.

soco said:
i finally started getting to some points that i find unbelievably frustrating. that plane race against Humba in the logbox 720 and the 100 pixels off one were both unbelievably annoying. sometimes i think Rare doesn't understand how to make things difficult without making them frustrating. trying to fly with tons of shit on the walls in the 720 level is retarded. i hope there's some special parts in the end that make your planes handle better, or that i was just missing something obvious.

That was my most hated challenge. I took the Plane 1 blueprint and threw a small jet engine on it. Problem solved. Fast and maneuverable.

How do you do the Germ Warfare mission?

To get the TT trophy, you need to finish it in a 1:45. Just to float up there takes 25 to 30 seconds minimum. This would take 10 seconds total if I could build my own vehicle instead of relying on a shitty LOG vehicle.

SuperDowns said:

HOLY SHIT

That is amazing! I was wondering if there was a way to make a Y-Wing after I made my A-Wing.

2nr3u2v.jpg

I just couldn't make it fly properly without making it ugly. But I see you've sorta hidden the wings in there. Amazing job!

Ugh. I'm trying to find the last few notes on some of these levels, but the areas are so huge that I can't find them. There's gotta be something to help you find them...I'm trying out the "aerial" vehicle part since I have no clue what it does and Mumbo was being vague.

SuperDowns said:
Now I saw your a-wing, and I really had to set a new bar.

a-wing.jpg

Wow, that's really great too.

The reason I liked my A-Wing though was because it was also practical. I used it to complete many dogfight and aerial challenges in the game. Yours seems more true to the actual design, but I doubt it'd last long in a fight. :p

However, I couldn't stop myself from recreating your Y-Wing design. It's quite a juggernaut! I tossed on an energy shield and put in a Mumbo Jumbo fixer thingy where R2 should go. Seemed appropriate. :lol

I dare you to make an X-Wing now!

autobzooty said:
Wow, that's really great too.

The reason I liked my A-Wing though was because it was also practical. I used it to complete many dogfight and aerial challenges in the game. Yours seems more true to the actual design, but I doubt it'd last long in a fight. :p

However, I couldn't stop myself from recreating your Y-Wing design. It's quite a juggernaut! I tossed on an energy shield and put in a Mumbo Jumbo fixer thingy where R2 should go. Seemed appropriate. :lol

I dare you to make an X-Wing now!

Thing about mine is that all my vehicles are just as practical as others but look authentic at the same time. I strive for the vehicle to perfect in every way. :D

SuperDowns said:
Thing about mine is that all my vehicles are just as practical as others but look authentic at the same time. I strive for the vehicle to perfect in every way. :D

i haven't tried your a-wing, but your y-wing definitely isn't practical :lol

we should have a dogfight sometime. could be fun!

autobzooty said:
i haven't tried your a-wing, but your y-wing definitely isn't practical :lol

we should have a dogfight sometime. could be fun!

Have you flown it yet? It flies like a dream, a wet dream. :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
autobzooty said:
Ugh. I'm trying to find the last few notes on some of these levels, but the areas are so huge that I can't find them. There's gotta be something to help you find them...I'm trying out the "aerial" vehicle part since I have no clue what it does and Mumbo was being vague.
That's one of the things I don't like about the game. It's sooo hard to find notes. Also, does each Act have different notes? I know all the levels for a world have 200 total, but are different notes available in different acts or are the same notes in each act?

What does the aerial do? I wondered that myself.

JSnake

SuperDowns, teach me how you do it. For the life of me, I can't make even simple cars. Best I've done was a heavily modified Humba Racer 3. But god damn I love this game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
JSnake said:
SuperDowns, teach me how you do it. For the life of me, I can't make even simple cars. Best I've done was a heavily modified Humba Racer 3. But god damn I love this game.
I think I'm in the same boat as you. I win most of the challenges, with TT Trophies on many of them, but I'm just not creative enough to make cool vehicles. I just slap on a couple of engines, ammo, weapons, fuel, etc. on some existing cars.

But, like you, I think this game rocks.

SuperDowns said:
Have you flown it yet? It flies like a dream, a wet dream. :lol

Your Y-Wing or your A-Wing? Haven't tried the A-Wing, but your Y-Wing flies more like a wet pig.

It's just too big to be practical with two large jet engines, even if I use the Super parts. I had to add detachable jets just to get the thing off the ground! :lol

Also, when playing online and stuff, I've found that the laser is a terrible weapon for the air. Your much better off with the egg gun and torpediles.

Your vehicles are all much larger than mine. I'm trying to make a different model of the A-wing, but use a little more space this time. I'll post pics if it goes well...lol

Fantastical said:
I think I'm in the same boat as you. I win most of the challenges, with TT Trophies on many of them, but I'm just not creative enough to make cool vehicles. I just slap on a couple of engines, ammo, weapons, fuel, etc. on some existing cars.

did you guys never play with legos?

ruffles

Fantastical said:

Same here.

autobzooty said:
Your Y-Wing or your A-Wing? Haven't tried the A-Wing, but your Y-Wing flies more like a wet pig.

It's just too big to be practical with two large jet engines, even if I use the Super parts. I had to add detachable jets just to get the thing off the ground! :lol

Also, when playing online and stuff, I've found that the laser is a terrible weapon for the air. Your much better off with the egg gun and torpediles.

Your vehicles are all much larger than mine. I'm trying to make a different model of the A-wing, but use a little more space this time. I'll post pics if it goes well...lol

you forgot to add my vehicles are also much more awesome than yours.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
SuperDowns said:
did you guys never play with legos?
Actually, I used to love Legos, I just can't relate that to the building in Banjo Kazooie. I don't have a vision for vehicles I guess. I see wedges, corners, and blocks and get confused on how to make a good car, then frustrated, then I just end up editing a Humba blueprint.

SuperDowns said:
j/k man, but how did you go about flying my Y wing? It takes off just fine for me.

I didn't wanna use landing gear cos I thought it would ruin the cool look of your design (and I didn't see them in your picture), so I added 4 small jets on the bottom and used detachers. So I fired it up, got up to a reasonable height, and then detached the jets on the underbelly to fly it like normal.

Maybe the reason mine doesn't fly as well is because I added two replenishers and an energy shield. They're pretty heavy, but still, I'm surprised it would affect it that much. I don't think taking them off would make it fly all that much better.

autobzooty said:
I didn't wanna use landing gear cos I thought it would ruin the cool look of your design (and I didn't see them in your picture), so I added 4 small jets on the bottom and used detachers. So I fired it up, got up to a reasonable height, and then detached the jets on the underbelly to fly it like normal.

Maybe the reason mine doesn't fly as well is because I added two replenishers and an energy shield. They're pretty heavy, but still, I'm surprised it would affect it that much. I don't think taking them off would make it fly all that much better.

wait so you didn't actually use mine? You made your own and tried to imitate mine? Well show a picture of it so I can see what your doing wrong and try to point you in the right direction.

Brashnir

autobzooty said:
[/QUOTE]

right off the bat, it looks like you put the engines in the space in the Y sections at the back, while his are inside the front part. If yours are completely filled in inside there, it would add a lot of unnecessary weight, in addition to the other extra items you stuck on yours.

Well your problem on your Y wing is that your jets are on the very back, then you have 3 of the heaviest parts; 2 of which are on the edges. Those act like huge moment arms and resist your movement. So just hollow out the engine outrigger and put the large engines inside of them.

for the landing gear you can recess the wheels inside the engine outriggers.

SuperDowns said:
Well your problem on your Y wing is that your jets are on the very back, then you have 3 of the heaviest parts; 2 of which are on the edges. Those act like huge moment arms and resist your movement. So just hollow out the engine outrigger and put the large engines inside of them.

for the landing gear you can recess the wheels inside the engine outriggers.

Ah, I see. Yeah, instead of putting extra engines in there, I put in replenishers because the lasers ate up so much ammo. Probably not worth it in the long run though. I'll make those changes.

Also I'm working on an X-wing right now. And it's looking totally retarded. :lol I'll post some pics after I finish...

Top Bottom