• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
autobzooty said:
So...am I the only one that's hugely disappointed with Rare's Stop'n'Swop effort? This was supposed to be the most epic link between sequels ever, and now, Tooie isn't even involved at all.

After 10 years of waiting, all I get is
a cheap British flag to stick on my car and other useless junk?
:(

I'm about to turn the game on and collect the rest of the Stop'n'Swop crates, but I'm doubting that it will get much better.
SnS was never supposed to be anything big. Just a little extra for the fans. I think this reflects that.

autobzooty said:
So...am I the only one that's hugely disappointed with Rare's Stop'n'Swop effort? This was supposed to be the most epic link between sequels ever, and now, Tooie isn't even involved at all.

I'm about to turn the game on and collect the rest of the Stop'n'Swop crates, but I'm doubting that it will get much better.

Do we really know that Tooie won't be involved? Isn't it possible that there's more hidden goodies in the game that can be unlocked with Tooie?

burgerdog

Got this last week, but barely got around to playing last night. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUUUUUUUUCK. I can't believe this is $40 with a free Banjo XBLA code attached. Deal of 2008. Seriously, $40 and it looks and plays better than most $60 games. Wow, I sincerely hope this game sells at least 200k, rare deserves all the money they can get from this.

SpokkX

burgerdog said:
Got this last week, but barely got around to playing last night. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUUUUUUUUCK. I can't believe this is $40 with a free Banjo XBLA code attached. Deal of 2008. Seriously, $40 and it looks and plays better than most $60 games. Wow, I sincerely hope this game sells at least 200k, rare deserves all the money they can get from this.

I agree. I started up the game and three hours late I am seriously blown away. Did not see this coming. It just screams AAA

I absolutely love the design of the worlds and building special vechicles to ace challenges is really fun. The controls work great (although the standard wheels are rather slippery)

Oh and.. best looking game this generation technically?

Rare still got it. No doubt after this and Pinata

JSnake

This game is phenomenal. I mean really, wow. I haven't had this much pure fun or pure, unadulterated joy with a video game since last year's Super Mario Galaxy. This is definitely my GOTY. Being the most crazed Banjo fan I know, I was upset when the first details of N&B were unveiled. I wish I could use a time warp to go back and brutalize myself for ever doubting Rare. Rare, you are definitely right up there with VALVe and Nintendo as the top game developers. Like those two, you are a master of your craft. I salute you.

Chris R

Anyone know if there is a cheat code or some unlockable so I can play as fat Banjo the entire game? :lol Seriously one of the best intros ever in any game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
JSnake said:
Well, for the minimalist one, just put a chair with a spring underneath it. Seriously, that's it.

What about for the other ones (regular vehicle over set speed and vehicle with 50 or more blocks over set speed)?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this game's sense of humor is GREAT.

and i'm enjoying the little i've played thus far too much more than i thought i would. nice job, rare.

Im taking alittle break from the game because im alittle burnt out on the challenges at the moment. I love the game though, it deserves more attention.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Blimblim said:
So I finally unlocked the Terrarium level and... Holy shit!!! I had seen a few pictures, but nothing could have prepared me for that. Incredible.
:lol :lol :lol then the Spiral Mountain will surely make u tear up:D

Jonsoncao

Banned
beelzebozo said:
this game's sense of humor is GREAT.

and i'm enjoying the little i've played thus far too much more than i thought i would. nice job, rare.
try the Klungo's arcade then, that's the best part i think :D

btw: anyone has the pic of
arcade crashing, and an error saying Klungo.cpp if gravity >0, Klungo saying hes trying to fix

autobzooty said:

Really sadly it's been hyped up so much it really could never live up to the expectations. It was like the first time I played "Wood Zone" and "Hidden Palace" in Sonic 2's beta. Reading and theorizing about it was so much more exciting than playing it.

Besides, the flag rules.

stewacide

Just *tried* to play the demo. As others have said the text is 3x smaller than it should be, and just as incredibly flys by faster than anyone could possibly read it.

Is it possible that Rare/MS's design and QA process are so broken they could overlook these huge, glaring, game-breaking issues? It's obvious the interface was designed by someone only considering the computer screen 2 feet in front of their face, and the text pacing by someone who already knew what the characters were saying and never bothered to try to read along... but even if they're that myopic/incompetent, where are the QA testers?

Ughhh :( :( :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm constantly taken aback by how well designed everything in the world is. It's just outstanding.

stewacide said:
Just *tried* to play the demo. As others have said the text is 3x smaller than it should be, and just as incredibly flys by faster than anyone could possibly read it.

Is it possible that Rare/MS's design and QA process are so broken they could overlook these huge, glaring, game-breaking issues? It's obvious the interface was designed by someone only considering the computer screen 2 feet in front of their face, and the text pacing by someone who already knew what the characters were saying and never bothered to try to read along... but even if they're that myopic/incompetent, where are the QA testers?

They, like a lot of developers, forgot to consider SDTV users. A fix is coming though, which is more than you can say for a lot of games with this problem.

soco

stewacide said:

i can read it like 10 feet away from the tv and my tv isn't all that big.

anyway, the fix is on the way and the retail game already has the ability to slow down the text speed to a crawl.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
I love this game so much.

Not the love that a man has for a woman, mind you, more like the love a man has for a good cigar, or a fine glass of whiskey.

Someone mentioned Mario Galaxy, and this game makes me feel the same fun and joy that Galaxy did.

Just pure awesome.

Even when I am not playing the game, I am constantly thinking about crazy vehicle designs to make.

This is so good, I barely touched Wrath of the Lich King yet :D

Mohonky

burgerdog said:

This is what I wanna hear.

I bought the game the day it came out (pity the XBLA Banjo cards aren't here yet) but between left 4 dead, Fallout 3 and others I haven't even played the game, only installed it on my HDD.

I love Rare's work and while I only fiddled briefly with the demo, I've held off sinking my teeth into it until I get through a few other titles.

I have a suspicion I will spent a lot of time making vehicles which I'm not sure on at this point.

KevinCow

Banned
Domino Theory said:
So how do I check for the # of parts each vehicle has?
A couple of ways.

1) When in the vehicle editing thing, press X, and there will be a bunch of meters on the left. One of them is parts.

2) When looking through your blueprints, press... X? I think it's X, but it says on screen. Anyway, it'll show you a list of all the parts used to make up that vehicle.

In the stunt motorcycle level in Banjo land, why the hell isn't the last one completing? it tells me to stay in the air as long as I can, gives me no indicator, then I do several huge jumps over ledges and am in the air for a good while, yet it doesn't complete. Some of these levels make me question if Rare ever play tested them.

Linkzg said:
In the stunt motorcycle level in Banjo land, why the hell isn't the last one completing? it tells me to stay in the air as long as I can, gives me no indicator, then I do several huge jumps over ledges and am in the air for a good while, yet it doesn't complete. Some of these levels make me question if Rare ever play tested them.

Try making a jump over the ledge at the sand/pyramid portion.

Linkzg said:
You know the cheese wedge it shows you at the start of the level in the cutscene? Jump off that using springs and make sure you land without crashing.

(No, it's not very obvious)

I can't stop playing this game. I just can't. This game is so addictive, it's unbelievable, if someone would have told me I would spend most time with Banjo 3 while having all the other AAA games lying around here, I would have thought that person is crazy.

Mifune

Mehmber
By the way, the Clanker Eye challenge is incredibly easy. All you have to do is approach it like you would have in the N64 days.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Jonsoncao said:
Great score! :D

This seriously the best deal this year. There is soooo much gameplay. I can play for hours and only get a few jiggies just because I love to explore Showdown Town and the environments, not to mention creating vehicles. There are a ton of challenges and other small things to do as well.

Love this game so much. I played it for so long today when I got home.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Just got the last trolley upgrade. How many ghost crates are there? Three?

Of ones I've seen there is one behind the light house (stop n swop one), one on the roof of a building in next to mumbo motors, one in those ruins type area, one in the middle of the world 6 level hub, one next to the level 2 hub, and....I don't know, that might be it.

Top Bottom