• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

painey

Nice idea, its cool how there are many different ways to beat the tasks.

PS whats with the photo mode? The photos you upload look hideous compared to in-game.. not a smart move by Rare when the main use of photo mode is to show off the game

painey said:
Nice idea, its cool how there are many different ways to beat the tasks.

PS whats with the photo mode? The photos you upload look hideous compared to in-game.. not a smart move by Rare when the main use of photo mode is to show off the game

I actually think that its some of the image hosts, not all files are save in native 1080 format so there are some JPEG artifacts.

Mohonky

Question: Is there any way to download blueprints of vehicles others have made? I would love to create something very cool but alas I'm not that gifted and I know my vehicles will mostly suck donkey balls.

Are vehicles the likes in some of the photo albums that hard to make? I'm worried all my vehicles are going to be really shit.......

This game is such a pleasant surprise, it's fantastic! I can't believe it's getting panned by so many review outlets. I know some people are made it isn't like the first two games, but after you play Nuts & Bolts for a couple of hours, the vehicle building seems like the best possible evolution of the series. I can't imagine a regular platformer being this engaging.

Mohonky said:
Are vehicles the likes in some of the photo albums that hard to make? I'm worried all my vehicles are going to be really shit.......
Hard to make them look like that. Easy to make them perform well.

Wizpig

Jaggies in my Nuts & Bolts?!?
I just saw them in the game for the first time, in Banjo-Land there's this big pole at the beginning of Act 1 at when you are near and it goes yellow to tell you can use physics... jaggies :mad:
To be honest i didn't notice jaggies at all in other places, it has to be that item in particular.

Along with the bad shadows it's the only thing i don't like about the game's graphics.

That said i noticed two "?" eggs in Banjo-Land, when you hit them nothing happens but a cube thing is inside... what the?
Now as for the REAL "?" eggs i found 3 in Banjo XBLA but i can't seem to reach those crates in N&B yet.

Holy shit, man. I just took my SpyChop (Chopper + Jingo Hunt) to the top of the gears on Nutty Acres to get at those sweet sweet Notes?

Man.

This game is fucking massive. Grab the cow for the BBQ Achievement there and you'll see what I mean. (YES! Rare put a fucking COW on the top of the fucking world. LOVE IT.)

Glix

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy shit, man. I just took my SpyChop (Chopper + Jingo Hunt) to the top of the gears on Nutty Acres to get at those sweet sweet Notes?

Man.

This game is fucking massive. Grab the cow for the BBQ Achievement there and you'll see what I mean. (YES! Rare put a fucking COW on the top of the fucking world. LOVE IT.)

Already on it, bro! (took this last night) :D

3052743041_9bcdd1db84_o.jpg

Gigglepoo

This thread is making me very jealous. I let one of my coworkers borrow Banjo after I posted the review, and my bought copy has been lost in the mail. I just want to build my Magic Spring Chair again!

Matchew

RiskyChris said:
I had no idea you could save the blueprints from leaderboard replays...

This. I found this out and it made me very happy. I love watching people’s replays then trying out their vehicles.

ruffles

Oh wow, some of the leaderboard replays are amazing. I had no idea you could use the huge ass vacuum in the Vac-O-Nuts. :eek: Saves you the trip of going back and forth.

Just a heads up here, but in about an hour some people from Rare will be playing online. If you want that smell achievement, this is probably your best chance.

Glix

I'm at work, someone please get this, and then play with me tonight! I think you just have to play with someone who has it, to get it!

GT - Richglix

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Linkzg said:
Just a heads up here, but in about an hour some people from Rare will be playing online. If you want that smell achievement, this is probably your best chance.
I got it the first and only match I played... is it really that hard to get?

Darklord

Banned
Just a couple of questions I was wondering before I buy this.

1. If I don't use the creator tool a lot will it matter? I mean, is it like spore where it's 95% creator, 5% game?

2. Can you share blueprints with people not on your friends list?

3. Is the creator easy to use?

4. How long is it on average?

5. Are the missions decent? A lot I see are just races or similar things.

Oh and I gotta say after going through this thread quickly, there are some awesome vehicle designs!

ruffles

Fantastical said:
Wait... what?

Yup, go to view leaderboards and choose whatever challenge and view/watch the top 10 replays and then press Y to save the blue print. Some top 10 scores have it, some don't.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Darklord said:

1. If I don't use the creator tool a lot will it matter? I mean, is it like spore where it's 95% creator, 5% game?

Oh and I gotta say after going through this thread quickly, there are some awesome vehicle designs!
1. You can play the game without using the editor with the exception of the final two missions but you will not only lose much of the fun, you will also not have a chance at getting all Trophys
2. afaik: Only by attaching them to your videos / online rankings
3. yes, absolutely
4. I've completed the game at 40 hours playtime (131 jiggys, 1900 notes and all trophys, one is optional for the jiggys)
5. Yes, but exploring is more fun imo.

goldenpp72

anyone know of a list of where the boxes are in showdown town? Im missing 3, also im missing 10 notes in logbox and its pissing me off.. Any tips?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
ruffles said:
Yup, go to view leaderboards and choose whatever challenge and view/watch the top 10 replays and then press Y to save the blue print. Some top 10 scores have it, some don't.

Mind blown, thats a awesome feature, also kudos to Giant Bomb for spending some time with the game.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
goldenpp72 said:
I dont think you get anything, I just want to since I always have :p
Yeah, but I'm playing through Banjo Kazooie at the moment, and it's pretty hard to NOT get all the notes each time. With Nuts & Bolts, the worlds are so huge it's easy to miss them.

Darklord

Banned
Yoshi said:
1. You can play the game without using the editor with the exception of the final two missions but you will not only lose much of the fun, you will also not have a chance at getting all Trophys
2. afaik: Only by attaching them to your videos / online rankings
3. yes, absolutely
4. I've completed the game at 40 hours playtime (131 jiggys, 1900 notes and all trophys, one is optional for the jiggys)
5. Yes, but exploring is more fun imo.

Thanks!

Xapati

I just played the demo today, and holy shit was it awesome :D I'm definately gonna pick this up for Christmas, although I'm gonna feel like I was robbed considering we have to pay the normal price here in Europe :( .

Straight up owned Nutty Acres today.

100% Notes
100% Jingos.

Working on the TTs now. (Prolly not so easy.)

The last Jingo challenge was a bit hard, man! This game is so rad. I beat Gears 2 today and within 5 minutes had this disc back in the tray.

I've so far 100%'d Nutty Acres and Banjo Land, and would have Logbox 100%'d if I could find the single goddamn note I'm missing. I also have all notes in Jiggoseum so it's just a matter of going through the challenges now.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I've so far 100%'d Nutty Acres and Banjo Land, and would have Logbox 100%'d if I could find the single goddamn note I'm missing. I also have all notes in Jiggoseum so it's just a matter of going through the challenges now.

I would check for FAQs if you're really frustrated. I had to use one to find the remaining note island on NA.

:(

(I'm so lame.)

How do I screw up the plumbing in Test-o-Track?

I've tried a few things but apparently they're not what the doctor ordered.

At the very least, it's something I do in that arena, right?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Digital Limit said:
How do I screw up the plumbing in Test-o-Track?

I've tried a few things but apparently they're not what the doctor ordered.

At the very least, it's something I do in that arena, right?
You have to put the floating ball in the big pipe (it's more like a tunnel) in the raised area.

soco

there's some horrible bug, and maybe it's related to being installed on the harddrive, but after you've played a challenge so many times in a row, the framerate makes the game unplayable in parts. even the physics get fucked up during this. we're talking below 5 frames a second, it's literally a slide show. the only other game i've seen this bad was Shadow of the Colossus at times.

also where you get the long distance air you need for the 'grand finale' on the motorcycle event in Banjoland? i've tried everywhere i can think of but nothing seems to qualify that i can actually reach with my motorcycle.

this is one of the single worst events in the game. first they make you try to read the text while the time is ticking down, which means you also can't drive at the same time. there's too many hills in the location you've done, which in this game, means far too many snagging points, and the game can't always tell if the motorcycle is laying down, so you don't always get the option to hit RB to flip it rightside. IMO, RB should just always correct the vehicle. it may seem to make some things too easy, but the physics and other detection are far too buggy NOT to do this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:

1. The game supplies you with plenty of pre-made blueprints. Even if you don't build from the ground up, chances are you'll be able to modify one of them to suit whatever you need it for (put on a bigger engine, more fuel, etc). The creator is very intuitive and fun to use, the vehicle building isn't very complex, but it isn't boringly shallow either.

2. Not sure.

3. Answered above.

4. I'm 11 hours in and have about 50 jiggies and no where near all the notes and such. I still haven't touched Act's 5 or 6 in most of the world's and haven't even entered the 5th or 6th one yet. It is a very well designed game in that respect, there is a lot of different ways to earn jigges, you never need to linger on a mission for too long if it's annoying you; which brings me to

5. There are a few races, but the missions are VERY varied most of the time. The neat thing about the missions is that they're as fun/frustrating as you make them. There's this really cool system in the game whereby there are two levels of success. The first is achieved by doing moderately well at a challenge, this earns you a jiggy, which is needed to progress. Getting a jiggy in a challenge is usually very easy, but still very fun. For utterly decimating a challenge, you earn a TT Trophy on top of a jiggy. Getting four of these add another jiggy to your total. This means that for those willing to master a challenge, they're able to be amply rewarded, and those who don't really like a mission can play for just the jiggy and walk away satisfied.

It's an ingenius system really.

Oh and the hub-world is one of the most genuinely well crafted hub-world's I have ever played. It's one of the few worlds where there is a feeling of discovery as you progress through the game and unlock new abilities. It's big, but it's designed in such a way that getting back to your destination never takes a long time. And if you don't feel like traversing the whole world for access to a mission you forgot to do, you can talk to someone in the town and they will instantly warp you to ANY challenge you have previously attempted.

It's the best hub-world I've ever played honestly, it makes me wish Galaxy did more with its own hub.

I can't gush about this game enough, everything about it is just so brilliantly designed. It gives off the sort of pure fun I haven't recieved since, and note that these games are very different, Mario Galaxy. Everything about it seems polished and well-thought out.

soco

Rlan said:
How do I begin to get the Jailed Jinjos out?

somewhere nearby are the little skull levers, like the ones you use to get the jiggies out of the machines. sometimes they're a bit hidden or a little further away.

Mifune

Mehmber
The hub world in this game is so fucking awesome that I never use the warps. NEVER. I love just driving around taking it all in.

I've been playing this for a few days now, and it's been really fun. My roommate has gotten into the habit of building crazy vehicles while I'm not playing, and it's hilarious to see what kind of wacky stuff he's built. The builder mode really opens up a lot once you get some of the specialty parts like the detacher and the tow joints.

It's kind of easy to cheese the system, though. All the top times on the long jump challenge are based on covering a vehicle with bumpers so it perpetually spazzes out on the ground. And we've discovered a few vehicles that don't consume fuel, despite being covered with working engines. It doesn't really bother me, since the game encourages you to push the boundaries so much, but some of it seems like a bit of an oversight.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Rlan said:
How do I begin to get the Jailed Jinjos out?

You need to talk to the Police Pig first about it, then he'll unlock the Jinjos being in their cells.

Near each cell is a switch (looks like your wrench). Get them out, put them on your Trolley and take them to their house (their house is the same color as them).

JSnake

So I really just can't get over how shit-tacular my vehicles are. I seriously don't have an ounce of creativity. But I love this game so much, it has won my GOTY award several times over. <33333

rohlfinator said:
It's kind of easy to cheese the system, though. All the top times on the long jump challenge are based on covering a vehicle with bumpers so it perpetually spazzes out on the ground. And we've discovered a few vehicles that don't consume fuel, despite being covered with working engines. It doesn't really bother me, since the game encourages you to push the boundaries so much, but some of it seems like a bit of an oversight.
Are you sure they didn't have a Super Fuel on there somewhere? A single super fuel is the size of one cube, yet puts your gas level to almost full.

Top Bottom