• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

I really think Rare really failed to grasp what made Banjo awesome when designing the multiplayer. The ideal multiplayer for this game would be: Hear objective/event/race, have set time (3 to 5 minutes) to design/test vehicle for event (with or without item limitations), then actually do the event with that created vehicle. For me this game is made with the vehicle creaiton and just doing random races or sport events you couldn't plan ahead for is a bit boring. Granted you can go back and design a specific vehicle for each of the 27 challenges, but in the end I find it still a bit boring.

I have two questions:

1) Wait, what? How do you bork the plumbing? I put the soccer balls in the tunnel!

2) Is there a way to force my component buttons to be assigned in a set way? They keep defaulting to something I don't want. I never want my floaters turned off and I always want my balloons on, but for some reason the game insists that I don't use the balloon button and desperately need to change my floaters. Annoying!@

FFChris

Linkzg said:
I really think Rare really failed to grasp what made Banjo awesome when designing the multiplayer. The ideal multiplayer for this game would be: Hear objective/event/race, have set time (3 to 5 minutes) to design/test vehicle for event (with or without item limitations), then actually do the event with that created vehicle. For me this game is made with the vehicle creaiton and just doing random races or sport events you couldn't plan ahead for is a bit boring. Granted you can go back and design a specific vehicle for each of the 27 challenges, but in the end I find it still a bit boring.

That sounds like a really good idea for a mode. I'd definately play that, are you listening to this man Rare?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Digital Limit said:
I have two questions:

1) Wait, what? How do you bork the plumbing? I put the soccer balls in the tunnel!
You need to put the ball that is floating IN THE AIR in to the tunnel. Make a vehicle with stick ball, or you could use suck and blow and make a cage (like I did). :p

Linkzg said:

Sounds good on paper, but for that to work, there would need to be an infinite number of unique challenges. Eventually, people are going to have a design for a vehicle that works best for them on each challenge, and then they'll simply be recreating that one vehicle every single time that challenge comes up.

autobzooty said:
Sounds good on paper, but for that to work, there would need to be an infinite number of unique challenges. Eventually, people are going to have a design for a vehicle that works best for them on each challenge, and then they'll simply be recreating that one vehicle every single time that challenge comes up.

Random parts could be given out for each contest.

Brashnir

Digital Limit said:
Is there any benefit to installing the game outside of drive noise?

Someone mentioned that it actually might cause problems?

Most games load faster off the hard drive. A few games seem to have problems when installed - like PGR4's audio pops - and I think there's a couple other known issues.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Linkzg said:
The ideal (for me) would be splitting the challenge into two rounds. In the first round, everyone gets the same equipment and has to go about collecting parts. In the next round you use the parts to build a machine to complete another challenge.

So, I go this game the other day, and I've put a few hours into it...

I really like it! I was worried that it wouldn't be fun after playing the demo, and because that's what most of the haters seem to say but to me it feels surprisingly natural and very addictive.

In fact, I'm very impressed. It's great!

Ok... one of the challenges in ToT just filled me with rage. I forget the name of it but you're in a tank with f'all ammo (you can pick up one more ammo pack, didn't see any more) which controls like shit and is virtually incapable of hitting the enemies when they climb the sides of the bowl. To make matters worse the whole area is a slideshow in that challenge and you can fall down an area in the middle if your vehicle strays slightly.

I nearly got the TT... I really don't ever want to try it again.

soco

Psychotext said:
Ok... one of the challenges in ToT just filled me with rage. I forget the name of it but you're in a tank with f'all ammo (you can pick up one more ammo pack, didn't see any more) which controls like shit and is virtually incapable of hitting the enemies when they climb the sides of the bowl. To make matters worse the whole area is a slideshow in that challenge and you can fall down an area in the middle if your vehicle strays slightly.

I nearly got the TT... I really don't ever want to try it again.

i just posted about it before, but from what i've seen, there seems to be some bug that occurs after you've chosen restart so many times that the framerate goes to hell (and occasionally seems to drag the physics with it). i've noticed this on every single task i've had a problem with and eventually the framerate will drop to under 5 fps. i don't know if you have to just go to shadowtown or leave the game and restart, but coming back to it in some manner will fix this issue, at least in all the times i've observed it.

i first noticed it on the stunt motorcycle one, and it got so bad that i couldn't even get the thing to complete a full twist in the air, something i never had a problem with. i could never get the final jump to work either until i quit and came back in.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just started playing this last night. Just got the foldable wings.... So AWESOME! Just about %100 complete with BK1 and i can clearly say im enjoying Nuts and bolts so much more.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Are you sure they didn't have a Super Fuel on there somewhere? A single super fuel is the size of one cube, yet puts your gas level to almost full.
Nope, just a normal small fuel. I don't have any super parts unlocked yet.

It seems to have something to do with the fuel and the seat being on different parts of the vehicle, separated by a detacher or tow bar.

Rlan

I'm so glad I know of the flying cart bug for Showdown town. Makes getting things a whole lot easier.

The problem is that you end up with 5 boxes and they all keep destroying the shopping cart's suspension and they all go everywhere. Need to not be greedy :lol

I've been enjoying the game a lot, but I do have some issues. For one, there seems to be absolutely no reason why they had to split each world into acts. The worlds are go giant, yet there is almost no use for 3/4 of it during any mission. They could have easily put all the missions in one act.

I kind of wish they didn't have these weird-ass scenarios where they just use the old characters but make Mumbo be "The Farmer" etc. Or at the very least I'd like the characters to whine about being made to do this silly stuff.

Is there an easier way to collect Notes in levels? Can I get a magnet or something later on? Is there even much reason for doing it at all? I've only ever spent money on Banjo at the Gym (in which he's at full on everything now) so I don't see all that much point on making a big effort on getting them.

Rlan said:
Is there an easier way to collect Notes in levels? Can I get a magnet or something later on? Is there even much reason for doing it at all? I've only ever spent money on Banjo at the Gym (in which he's at full on everything now) so I don't see all that much point on making a big effort on getting them.

Uh, you definitely should be buying new vehicle parts from Wumba. Maybe even blueprints, if you feel like it.

saunderez

a Master Ninja said:
And Jiggies "that fell off a truck" from Jolly Dodger.
I'd convinced myself he was gonna sell me some Fools Jiggies or something that would explode upon putting them in the collector or something. Was pleasantly surprised when they didn't as I could afford 4 at the time.

jedimike

I beat the game last night... It was pretty magnificent flying around in the last level and seeing everything updated. I'm still missing a ton of achievements that I plan on getting. I've played a lot of games this year... it just amazes me when I think of how fulfilled I am as a gamer with this game. I love all the FPS's and action games on the 360, but this game will definitely go down as a definitive game... 5, 8, 10 years from now, when we're reminiscing about the 360, Banjo will be a game that consistently comes up as a "must have" for the system.

Xapati

Hey, does anybody know if the PAL version has all the languages on the disc? So I'd get to play it in English if my 360 is set to English? It would save me the hassle of ordering it from amazon.uk.

soco

Xapati said:
Hey, does anybody know if the PAL version has all the languages on the disc? So I'd get to play it in English if my 360 is set to English? It would save me the hassle of ordering it from amazon.uk.

i can't verify but since there's 0 voice acting i would imagine they're all on the disc.

Flipside

Xapati said:

I bought the Dutch version and I play the game with English narration and text. The box art and manual are localized but the game disc reads "Nuts and Bolts" so I guess it works the same as Viva Pinata and picks the system language.

So far I am still on the fence if I like the game or not :) Was a big fan of the platform Banjos and I didn't like the demo too much. So far this game is ok but I find just driving around more fun than the challenges. I'm hoping the game will grow on me.

Sort of a spoiler... don't read if you plan on 100% completing all the Jinjo challenges. Just funny dialogue.

"We used to have another name for Jinjo hurling but we had to change it to avoid giving people the wrong idea..."

"So then, hurl me off as hard as you can and see how far I shoot."

On failing... "Sigh, it's always disappointing when you're hurled off with so little passion and commitment."

On success... "I've never been hurled off so enthusiastically in my life. I'm gasping for breath!"

:lol

Rare <3

SpokkX

Xapati said:

I have the PAL version (swedish) and have my 360 set to uk. The game is all in english

Just got to make my first plane yesterday. This game is amazing and so far the challenges have been really fun (especially the ones you can build vehicles for)

So I "beat" the game without getting the Burn the Witch achievement and it looks like it's impossible to get now. I'm so annoyed. I shouldn't be, I know, but I am! I was going to catch 'em all. I thought it was related to a boss fight or unskippable event. I never bothered to use the stupid laser offensively in town. Oy!

Jonsoncao

Banned
Frillen said:
Wait! How do you fly in Showdown Town?!
use the trolley glitch
get a box in your trolley, stand on that box, use RT to highlight the trolley then you will fly, if you wanna micro control the direction while dun fall, release the RT a little bit to adjust the position you stand, and pull RT again

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Psychotext said:
Sort of a spoiler... don't read if you plan on 100% completing all the Jinjo challenges. Just funny dialogue.

"We used to have another name for Jinjo hurling but we had to change it to avoid giving people the wrong idea..."

"So then, hurl me off as hard as you can and see how far I shoot."

On failing... "Sigh, it's always disappointing when you're hurled off with so little passion and commitment."

On success... "I've never been hurled off so enthusiastically in my life. I'm gasping for breath!"

:lol

Rare <3
Not a direct quote but one of my favorites, if you get it:
I went into a bear chatroom and they said that you are the strongest and manliest bear around. It was all very innocent...
Surely, it was intentional... right? :p

qirex99

Banned
Just wanted to give a HUGE shout out to RARE, MS and everyone who risked it to do something different.

This is the FIRST game since Mario world 64 which has made me oooh, ahh, laugh and just have agreat time.

the challenges are fun to figure out a way to get them done. The vehicle building is incredible and the graphics...WOW.

I love the no voice acting, reminds me of Starfox SNES, so much charm.

Also, ppl complaining re: platforming? have you tried getting the notes? Stacking jiggies in the truck is equally fun and HILARIOUS.

On a down-side, i found that INSTALLING to the HDD introduced wierd 1-sec pauses every now and then. It also crahsed my system outright x2.

On the other hand, I DO feel that the slowdown in the water bits is less or gone.

Either way, THIS is MY game of the GENERATION!!!

Its given me hope that somebody still understands the "skill game" part of gaming. For somebody who absolutely Loved gems like starfox, Pilotwings and M64...this is a great treat.

p.s. did rare make Pilotwings?

I wish Rare implemented forgiving vehicle controls. Lots of time driving floaty vehicles is not fun at all.

This might be fixable by creating better vehicle but then creating vehicle is not fun for all. It is same like paint job in Forza 2. I like to have cool vehicles but don't want to spend time in vehicle building. I just want to explore beautiful worlds (except logbox 720, don't like it).

Rare should really have free server of blueprints.

I also wish there is a patch to disable big floaty sign of part crates. It kinda kills exploration part.

Don't have any problem because Rare tried to create something different than platformer but it would be nice if they add new DLC which is traditional platformer. This game can have long legs that way.

Hmm.... I just collected the last notes and did the last jinjo bingo. I have 75 notes after all of that and still have 1 x 150 note torpedile to buy.

Smart. =/

qirex99

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
I wish Rare implemented forgiving vehicle controls. Lots of time driving floaty vehicles is not fun at all.

This might be fixable by creating better vehicle but then creating vehicle is not fun for all. It is same like paint job in Forza 2. I like to have cool vehicles but don't want to spend time in vehicle building. I just want to explore beautiful worlds (except logbox 720, don't like it).

Rare should really have free server of blueprints.

I also wish there is a patch to disable big floaty sign of part crates. It kinda kills exploration part.

Don't have any problem because Rare tried to create something different than platformer but it would be nice if they add new DLC which is traditional platformer. This game can have long legs that way.

it sounds like you need better parts!

yug>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HONDa>>>>>>>>>>>>>BMW>>>>>>>>>>>>FERRARI

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Rummy Bunnz said:
So I "beat" the game without getting the Burn the Witch achievement and it looks like it's impossible to get now. I'm so annoyed. I shouldn't be, I know, but I am! I was going to catch 'em all. I thought it was related to a boss fight or unskippable event. I never bothered to use the stupid laser offensively in town. Oy!

Start a new campaign then just burn through the story to get the laser attachment again. As soon as you get it, go to Showdown Town and burn that witch. :p

jmoe316

Psychotext said:
Hmm.... I just collected the last notes and did the last jinjo bingo. I have 75 notes after all of that and still have 1 x 150 note torpedile to buy.

Smart. =/

There are ways to waste notes such as bribing the cops (that may be the only way to waste notes)

Did you bribe cops?

Top Bottom