• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

One thing that looks annoying is those aerial attacks from the gruntbots, it doesn't look like you can defend yourself against them.

Unless there is some sort of Tesla Coil attachment I haven't seen yet :D

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Video looks awesome. But I'm hoping some of the challenges aren't timed. I'm not a huge fan of being timed in games, and while I know that's how they're ranking what your reward is, it still kind of bothers me.

Without the timing, the challenges seem reminiscent of BK & BT, which is good. It's going to be interesting to see what my opinion is on this game. I'm pretty sure I'll like it, but sometimes it's hard to say. I'm still excited about it for the simple fact that it's the return of Banjo Kazooie. That in itself excites me the most.

Pyrokai

For the first real time, that video made me excited of the fact about the possibilities of what I can make with the vehicle creator. I think I underestimated how much you can do. It looks fantastic! I just got really excited.

Costanza

Banned
Canceled my Amazon preorder and paid off the game at Gamestop. I didn't want to wait an extra 2-3 days to receive the game and 5 days for the XBLA code.

Kuroyume

Banned
Has anyone ordered games from Amazon before? I'm changing to overnight shipping (or whatever the fastest they offer) before the release date because I've heard that going the free route means having to wait possibly two weeks for something to arrive. Is overnight reliable?

Costanza

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Has anyone ordered games from Amazon before? I'm changing to overnight shipping (or whatever the fastest they offer) before the release date because I've heard that going the free route means having to wait possibly two weeks for something to arrive. Is overnight reliable?
It probably won't ship until Thursday or Friday of the release week. Amazon is really shitty about games that aren't street dated.

Log4Girlz said:
Expect a meltdown.

Nah, thats still alright. IGN however was still against the change to the play mechanic from the jump. Im more interested in what the overall gaming community thinks. And so far its positive.

Woffls

I'm only interested in what GAF thinks, everyone else will be ignored tbh. Especially IGN.
And IGN AU usually score higher than IGN US don't they? US seem to be more cynical/
elitist

IGN review is in the range I'm expecting from most (8.0 to 8.5). Do all games really have to score 9+ these days or they're rubbish?

web01

Woffls said:
I'm only interested in what GAF thinks, everyone else will be ignored tbh. Especially IGN.
And IGN AU usually score higher than IGN US don't they? US seem to be more cynical/
elitist

Actually its the other way around you can usually expect a higher score from IGN america.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Embargo ends in a bit more than 7 hours, I'll have at least 3 10 minutes videos ready by then, and I'll try to record some environment videos at noon and have them ready by then too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Good score. I can't wait to play the full game. I want to create me some vehicles without being limited by the demo's limited options. Basically I want this game so that I can have a couple of "sandboxes" in which to play with my newly created toys.

pswii60

laceystorm said:
Nice score.

In a parallel universe.

Maybe now, Rare will go away and work on giving gamers what they actually really wanted in the first place? A proper, story-driven Banjo platformer. Hopefully we won't have to wait another 2-3 years for whatever Rare come up with next, Banjo or not.

That aside, I completely understand that some people like the sandbox genre and vehicle creation, and completely understand that they like this game regardless. But I hope they can also understand why so many people are disappointed.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
sionyboy said:
Graphics - 7.7

wtf? Unless the game suffers from extensive and persistent frame-drops (blim?) I can't understand giving it a 7.7.....
Maybe they also rated the readability of the text ;)? Despite this major flaw the graphics were awesome and flawless imo...

saunderez

pswii60 said:
Maybe now, Rare will go away and work on giving gamers what they actually really wanted in the first place? A proper, story-driven Banjo platformer.
Or they'll move on because they realise most of you will never be pleased no matter what they produce. Time to break out the new IP Rare, nobody wants your vision for Banjo apparently.

They already tried "traditional" Banjo and to them it felt stale. And we all know what comes out when the developers hearts aren't in a project. Utter shit.

Majmun

Good scores, I guess...
:''''(

I hope the game gets a budget price in Europe too. I'll bite if that happens.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I read the reviews, and it seems to be about what I was expecting.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
7.7 for graphics? Except for the LOD issues and some slight framedrops I have nothing but praises for the graphics in that game.
Excellent lighting/shadowing, awesome view distance, ok framerate most of the time, COLORS!

I get the impression that the TXB graphical mark has more to do with the fact the graphics are cutesy and kiddy, rather than gritty and bloodstained. If they can give a 9.9 to Gears Of War 2 for graphics whilst complaining of texture pop-in and dips in framerate and a 7.7 to Banjo then.... bah.

I booted up the game to show it off to a friend the other day, he laughed when I said it had some of the finest graphics I'd seen. Obviously a cartoony game can't have great graphics..... I did enjoy the moment he let out a gasp as the camera panned back to show Showdown Town in all its glory. :)

Whilst im raring (lol) to buy this, I'm held back by the UK's full price status of £40. Thats loads more than the American price!

I'll bite at the fairer-yet-still-pricy £30, but not till then I'm afraid.

Martial Loh said:
Whilst im raring (lol) to buy this, I'm held back by the UK's full price status of £40. Thats loads more than the American price!

I'll bite at the fairer-yet-still-pricy £30, but not till then I'm afraid.

Same here, Zavvi have it for £35 with the BK code but.... given the prices of 360 games in Sainsbury's recently I wonder if this might turn out to be another £30 game :/

sionyboy said:
Same here, Zavvi have it for £35 with the BK code but.... given the prices of 360 games in Sainsbury's recently I wonder if this might turn out to be another £30 game :/
I'm also thinking about waiting a bit, but even if the price drops for 30, there is still BK for XBLA. I want that game too, so paying 40 now, or 40 later (for cheaper BK3 and BK XBLA) is kinda the same. I'll guess I'll just stick with the preorder. Need moar colorful games on the 360 :D

pswii60

Blimblim said:
7.7 for graphics? Except for the LOD issues and some slight framedrops I have nothing but praises for the graphics in that game.
Excellent lighting/shadowing, awesome view distance, ok framerate most of the time, COLORS!
Indeed, the game looks stunning in places, definitely unique and full of charm. Issues with the LOD when outdoors, but indoors everything is so detailed and colourful.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The graphics, at least judging from the demo, are fucking amazing. Graphics are never a factor in me purchasing a game or not, but Banjo is one fine looking game

Woffls

That TXB review was a crock of shit if the summary is any indicator...

7.7 for visuals? Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

"The lack of dialogue" - oh shut the fuck up, it's part of the the charm of the game, does anyone REALLY care about voice acting? Lack of dialogue = 7.0? Bullshit. Honestly, I'd probably get really pissed off at Banjo's voice.

"There’s solid depth to the gameplay, and myriad collectibles to find and acquire, though a lot of its durability comes from some try-fail-retry challenges." - Ton of stuff to collect, solid depth... 7.2... how?

This comment worries me: "The main issue is that there are a ton of games out this holiday season that are fun from start to finish" how much did they try to represent this in the final score?

A fool could have predicted that, regardless of how good this game was going to be, It wouldn't score well.

/rantastic

Woffls said:
"The lack of dialogue" - oh shut the fuck up, it's part of the the charm of the game, does anyone REALLY care about voice acting? Lack of dialogue = 7.0? Bullshit. Honestly, I'd probably get really pissed off at Banjo's voice.

I care about voice acting since I can't read the text on the screen

pr0cs

Woffls said:
That TXB review was a crock of shit if the summary is any indicator...

TXB can be a good site for previews and exclusive interviews but for reviews it sucks, always has. They're not objective at all and put their opinion in almost everything they write for the review. You'd be crazy to base any of your buying decisions solely on TXB reviews.

That being said I'm not surprised the game is scoring in the low 80s. Like all the Rare games on the 360 (minus PDZ) their games have a serious identity crisis. VP and N&B 'look' and 'feel' like a kids game but there is no way you could expect a kid to play them and be productive. Both games require some serious gaming to actually get anywhere in the game. Kameo was also similar, it looked cutesy but the game was pretty violent and to get the A ranks you needed to invest some pretty serious time perfecting your skills.

I love Rare but I have to question who they are targeting N&B to. This is why I think it will suffer in scores, it tries to be everything to everyone and in the end has a VERY small demographic that will truly enjoy the game to it's fullest extent.

George K.

TheFightingFish said:
The sad thing is...who out there in the gamer world actually will? I'm 100% looking forward to it, but I fear that I'll be looking at a sea of used B&K boxes at Gamestop after Christmas for those who purchased it and didn't bother to get deep with the vehicle creation. I'd love to be proven wrong though...
The intro and tutorial sections of the game are far more involved than what you'll have experienced in the demo. I found Banjo's learning curve very gentle indeed and there is definitely a progression in terms of the challenges you face from easy to more tricky when played in sequence. At the start of the game, very little vehicle editing is necessary - the further you get into the game, the more useful it becomes and the more adept you become at it. The game doesn't chuck people in at the deep end, far from it - of that much I can assure you.

pr0cs said:
I love Rare but I have to question who they are targeting N&B to.
Please follow this link, quoted below for ease of reference:
George K. said:
I can assure you that we haven't been focused on 4 year-olds when creating the new Banjo game.

Top Bottom