• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

KevinCow

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Alright, the challenge where you have to hurl the shot put in the Jiggoseum is the best in the game. So much fun. I spent like three hours trying crazy ideas just to see if they'd work. My two most effective:

6r2e5x.jpg

This vehicle just spins round and round. I attach the shot put with a sticky ball, and release it with a detacher when I reach maximum speed. I get some pretty crazy distance with this method.

1sdwed.jpg

Catapult! This thing is pretty bad ass. Gets some huge air.
Quoted for the next page because these are awesome.

I thought the hitch was a useless item at first, but then I realized it could be used as a hinge and my ideas have been going wild. Didn't even think it could make a catapult. That's brilliant.

God, I really want to play this game some more. Can't wait to get my own 360.

Rlan

36071C4914090957B7DC.jpg

My best idea for it before I saw the top leaderboard example :lol

28161AAE140909594640.jpg

How I defeated the witch in Jiggoseum, though I missed once or twice.

52D649CE1409095AD4A4.jpg

I seemed to have gotten a ton of Jets at once :)

Thermite

czartim said:
Is there a way to make flying vehicles that have wheels stay on the ground without changing anything?

Um, I don't think so. You could use folding wings and propellers, but that's still kind of changing something so I don't know if that's quite what you're looking for..

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Having beat Fable II, I'm looking to dive head first into Banjo-Kazooie.

If you're still playing, add me to your friends list: Space Donkeys!

Rlan

czartim said:
Is there a way to make flying vehicles that have wheels stay on the ground without changing anything?

Technically you could probably put some extra folding propellors and change their polarity to keep you down. That or chuck on some folding wings with front folding propellers.

Ptaaty

You guys were right. I didn't care much for the demo...but took a chance on a deal. I absolutely love this game. It keeps getting much better as new parts are unlocked.

I love thinking I have a great vehicle for the job, trying a challenge and then not really doing so hot...then going back and creating some one off super specialized freak mobile.

The catapult pictured above is brilliant.

Mohonky

Why did this game get some really mediocre reviews? I mostly only visit Giantbomb these days and they have been the only podcast I listen to and they've been pimping this game for weeks, gave it top marks etc and looking around elsewhere, it's managed only average scores. The fact I haven't once seen it nominated for any GOTY catagories has me stupidified.

Fantastic production values
Brilliant graphics
Incredibly creative and original
Beautiful score.

Whats going on here :S

Ptaaty

Mohonky said:
Why did this game get some really mediocre reviews? I mostly only visit Giantbomb these days and they have been the only podcast I listen to and they've been pimping this game for weeks, gave it top marks etc and looking around elsewhere, it's managed only average scores. The fact I haven't once seen it nominated for any GOTY catagories has me stupidified.

Brilliant graphics
Beautiful score.

I don't know. My marginal care for the demo, with the mediocre reviews had me missing this game if it weren't for the persistance of GAF. I think it is preconcieved notions, a change from what was expected, a flood of games that are more fun right off the bat. Reviewers often have to plow through games. Banjo is all about not plowing through and experimenting.

Mohonky

Ptaaty said:
I don't know. My marginal care for the demo, with the mediocre reviews had me missing this game if it weren't for the persistance of GAF. I think it is preconcieved notions, a change from what was expected, a flood of games that are more fun right off the bat. Reviewers often have to plow through games. Banjo is all about not plowing through and experimenting.

I sort of understand the plowing through games part and I can easily understand why reviewers have to do this but a little fore thought should usually be taken into consideration, that while you yourself might not have been able to really dig into it I think it's obvious that there is enough present, even in a few hours of gameplay, to realise there are or at least would be a lot of great things you could do with in the game engine.

Also suspected the game might cop some flak considering the only real connection between it and the platformers are the characters otherwise it could have been called anything and featured new characters entirely.

Getting the impression Rare are drawing the short straw from critics. Perfect Dark Zero was bit of a train wreck and completely out of character for Rare (blatantly rushed out the door for launch) but Kameo was a solid platformer I really enjoyed, Viva Pinata was just another really incredibly original game and the same with Banjo; all meanwhile are arguably some of the best looking games on the 360, incredibly polished with stellaw production values, charming and great fun. Reading reviews for a number of games though you wouldn't really think that.

p3tran

Banned
I believe its the kiddy cartoon gfx.

most reviewers are not really old, so maybe they think playing a game with a cartoon bear in a colorful toy world deters their "manhood".

thats the best excuse I can find for them.

the gfx btw, are overall some of the most pleasant I've seen this generation.

Mohonky

It's funny you mention that, theres like this window between 'older teenager' and 'young adult' were, particularly guys, can be insecure about playing those 'kiddy games' or games that are more family friendly. I would hope reviewers are mature enough to look past that (though I know many people who fit in the bracket that aren't).

Seems the older I get, the less I give a shit a bout stuff like that.

I still suspect that it's because the game can become repetitive if you try to brute force your way through it as fast as possible. Plus if you're going to finish as fast as possible you're discouraged from actually playing the game properly and going for TT trophies / making your own vehicles to perfect the challenges.

Mohonky

Psychotext said:
I still suspect that it's because the game can become repetitive if you try to brute force your way through it as fast as possible

I think AC had that problem. The game was brutally reptitive but I played it in small bouts here and there and fucking loved that game to death, absolutely brilliant, best animation I have seen in a game and a joy to watch but definitely not something you would play in 2hour stints. It def fell into that category of requiring you to sort of go off every now and then and play something else.

Haven't played enough of Banjo yet to really feel that need but the way I am pacing myself through it right now, slowly but methodically, seems to be working fine for me thus far.

Mohonky said:
I think AC had that problem. The game was brutally reptitive but I played it in small bouts here and there and fucking loved that game to death, absolutely brilliant, best animation I have seen in a game and a joy to watch but definitely not something you would play in 2hour stints. It def fell into that category of requiring you to sort of go off every now and then and play something else.

Haven't played enough of Banjo yet to really feel that need but the way I am pacing myself through it right now, slowly but methodically, seems to be working fine for me thus far.

Personally, I found myself unable to play it in short spurts. It's just too addicting. If one challenge closes you off, you're tempted to try getting TTs in easier ones to get more jiggies to open up other ones and then tweak your vehicles with new parts and so on and so on and oh look you have to be at work in an hour what the hell man.

big_z

Mohonky said:

Brilliant graphics
Beautiful score.

listening & reading some reviews i got the feeling the game was getting tossed aside because of the holiday review load. some critics picked up the game, played the first level and figured it's not classice banjo so it sucks.

My best idea for it before I saw the top leaderboard example

i did something similar. i took the default cage design and expanded it 4x the size. i got the tt award in one push although i didnt have enough engine power so it was a bit slow going.

Anybody got any tips for the "Freewheeling Frenzy" challenge or whatever it's called on Nutty Acres? Can't get the TT trophy to save my life.

Ptaaty

jesus....I just played 5 hours straight! Skipped breakfast, lunch and missed my workout. Time to remedy, going to workout and eat late lunch before going back.

The soccer ball level had me sucked in for 2 hours. I easily got the TT once I realized the defenders could be dumped on the switch and the balls keep coming.

I tried a super cage that held all 15 balls then would move the defender off, until I returned...also no turning just forward and backward it was too big to be nimble. I was always on the verge of over 40 when it would break and toss the balls.

I think the only way to get 50 plus is using the defender on switch trick combined with some type of very fast pusher, probably with some guns to knock out the bots. I might try that once before moving on. This is more addicting that Forza 2 time trials :)

jedimike

I shelved the game for a while after I completed the final challenge, but I can't resist going back... all this talk of catapults and 50+ soccer balls makes me want to go get some TT trophies. :D

vhfive

APZonerunner said:
Anybody got any tips for the "Freewheeling Frenzy" challenge or whatever it's called on Nutty Acres? Can't get the TT trophy to save my life.

go into the dried out lake (it has a pillar in the middle) you can get there by driving on the dried out river bed. the lake is a bowl and you can go around and around seemingly forever(but it makes you dizzy)

tak

I'm fairly early into the game, but I have two quick questions for those people that are a little further then me.

There are some crates in Showdown Town that appear to be located in areas that are impossible to reach (not the ones behind red walls, just in high locations or behind water barriers). Do you gain abilities for your vehicle as you progress that allow you to reach the crates like the extra grip tires you get early in the game?

Also, what benefits does going to the gym give you? I maxed out my strength, but I haven't come across a location in Showdown Town where it seems to help me.

vhfive

tak said:
I'm fairly early into the game, but I have two quick questions for those people that are a little further then me.

There are some crates in Showdown Town that appear to be located in areas that are impossible to reach (not the ones behind red walls, just in high locations or behind water barriers). Do you gain abilities for your vehicle as you progress that allow you to reach the crates like the extra grip tires you get early in the game?

Also, what benefits does going to the gym give you? I maxed out my strength, but I haven't come across a location in Showdown Town where it seems to help me.

1. yes
2. to be honest i didn't see any benefits of the gym

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
finally beat it with ~95 jiggies and while i really enjoyed it for the most part, it was definitely a mixed bag and i've walked away with some mixed emotions about the whole experience.

i guess i still feel that the core game, the level challenges, simple were not any fun at all. the fun i found in the game was largely due to the exploration, puzzle solving, on foot AND in vehicle platforming within showdown town. had the game worlds mimicked thoe aspects of showdown town rather then being just a stage for shitty challenges, i would have enjoyed the game immensely more. the beautiful game worlds were just completely wasted IMO, with no reason to explore them at all.

maybe its just the fact that i HATED the terranium of terror world due to its complicated and claustrophobic nature (navigating in vehicles was sometimes a bitch) left a sour taste in my mouth...

again, to reiterate, i still loved the game and had a ton of fun with the 20-25 hours i spent with it, but it was also frustrating and dissapointing that it wasnt all it could be. maybe in a sequel?

Pasco

Banned
OK, so I've been playing the hell out of this since I bought it, probably my GOTY, but there's still one type of challenge that I haven't worked out a decent set-up for:

Jinjo Combat

Seriously, what's the best way to deal with this heavy-ass spherical annoyances? Any set-up I try either results in them rolling over me or getting wedged under me so I can't move.

vhfive

Pasco said:
OK, so I've been playing the hell out of this since I bought it, probably my GOTY, but there's still one type of challenge that I haven't worked out a decent set-up for:

Jinjo Combat

Seriously, what's the best way to deal with this heavy-ass spherical annoyances? Any set-up I try either results in them rolling over me or getting wedged under me so I can't move.

also my jingo hurling mobile (hence the springs)

2ic44lv.jpg

2hz4pqv.jpg

25f0flw.jpg

jlh

I bought this game at Amazon due to the special price for my nephew. After reading a few of the impressions I think he may have problems it sounds a lot more complex than I figured it would be.

Has anyone here had a chance to play this with a 9/10 year old? How easy was it to pick and play for the kid?

mm04

jlh said:
I bought this game at Amazon due to the special price for my nephew. After reading a few of the impressions I think he may have problems it sounds a lot more complex than I figured it would be.

Has anyone here had a chance to play this with a 9/10 year old? How easy was it to pick and play for the kid?

I bought this for my 10 year old nephew and he finished the game and loves building contraptions. He's even gone onto Live and won some online events.

vhfive said:
go into the dried out lake (it has a pillar in the middle) you can get there by driving on the dried out river bed. the lake is a bowl and you can go around and around seemingly forever(but it makes you dizzy)

Should I drive all the way down the volcano or risk driving off it to get to the bed quicker? It's difficult to keep momentum all that way.

jlh

mm04 said:
I bought this for my 10 year old nephew and he finished the game and loves building contraptions. He's even gone onto Live and won some online events.

Thanks a lot. It's so hard to find good games for kids his age so I hope he likes this one.

goldenpp72

I missed a gold note in the canals with water, there is a place to the left/right that isnt on camera naturally and its really tricky. took 3 hours :/

Top Bottom