• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

f@luS

More than a member.
Costanza said:
WHAT THE HELL RARE

:( everytime i get so hyped thinking like rare "may" come back and give an AAA title. Everytime its a good game "only". Ill buy it at 20. but i will buy it

Psychotext said:
but it sounds like they needed much better challenges.

Thats one thing that Ive been concerned about for awhile with this game but im a huge fan of the series and will buy regardless.

word.

f@luS said:
:( everytime i get so hyped thinking like rare "may" come back and give an AAA title. Everytime its a good game "only". Ill buy it at 20. but i will buy it

are you going to buy the original B&K on XBLA? That's the only reason I'm getting the game now, because of the free download makes the new game only like 25 bucks

Pug

The intro and tutorial sections of the game are far more involved than what you'll have experienced in the demo. I found Banjo's learning curve very gentle indeed and there is definitely a progression in terms of the challenges you face from easy to more tricky when played in sequence. At the start of the game, very little vehicle editing is necessary - the further you get into the game, the more useful it becomes and the more adept you become at it. The game doesn't chuck people in at the deep end, far from it - of that much I can assure you.

Actually the tutorial is one of the complaints Eurogamer gabs on about, they says its to long and long winded. Which goes show you can't please all the people all the time. Still I will be playing this over the Xmas period and looking forward to something different.

I'll still be picking it up. Even though I won't enjoy it as much as the first two, I'll still play it and have fun. If anything, building vehicles should occupy some time. The main reason I'm still getting it is my Banjo on XBLA code. Does anyone know if I pick it up when I pick up the game or are they coming in earlier?

Chris R

funkmastergeneral said:
are you going to buy the original B&K on XBLA? That's the only reason I'm getting the game now, because of the free download makes the new game only like 25 bucks
Yep. Kinda the same reason here. Though I do think the game will be a great game. Just like GTAIV though, which was IMO a great game, just not a great GTA style game (in the vein of SA/III), this looks to be a great game, that might have done better overall if they didn't tie the Banjo name to it.

People came expecting a sequel and this is most definitely not a straight sequel.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Team Xbox gives a 7.4...the exact same score as Shadowrun except Banjo has a $20 lower price tag and probably three times larger budget to make.

Killzone 2 and Infamous are going to murder your platform in 2009.

JSnake

Hmm, it's disappointing to hear that there isn't a single platforming mission. However, I'm sure there will be lots of platforming to get notes and other such things. Not to mention getting around the worlds.

My frothing demand for this game has not diminished.

kylej

Banned
Brimstone said:
Team Xbox gives a 7.4...the exact same score as Shadowrun except Banjo has a $20 lower price tag and probably three times larger budget to make.

Wait what are you anti-360 now because everyone hated Shadowrun? lolarious

Darklord

Banned
I like how in logbox 720 world it says "half the missions involve fixing the console's broken cooling system.":lol

Brimstone said:

Just like how it murdered it in 07 and 08 right? In 2009 it'll be "Just wait until FF is released in 2010". Oh wait, no you can't say that anymore.

Costanza

Banned
VGChampion said:
I'll still be picking it up. Even though I won't enjoy it as much as the first two, I'll still play it and have fun. If anything, building vehicles should occupy some time. The main reason I'm still getting it is my Banjo on XBLA code. Does anyone know if I pick it up when I pick up the game or are they coming in earlier?
They gave me the code when I preordered yesterday.

Kuroyume

Banned
Brimstone said:

What the hell is this? :lol

Dabanton

Brimstone said:

What have Killzone 2 and Infamous got to do with Banjo?

Brimstone

kylej said:
Wait what are you anti-360 now because everyone hated Shadowrun? lolarious

Not at all. I want to play great games, I could care less what platform they are on.

I want fun and innovative experiences. Crackdown and Shadowrun both had awesome concepts and execution.

Infamous will fill the role of a new Crackdown. I'm sure Suckerpunch has learned a lot from Crackdown.

Killzone 2 will fill the role of a new online (but more shallow) version of Shadowrun. The way you choose 2 special abilities to customize your character is similar to the protean gameplay concept. If Killzone 2 added a valor meter (to mimic Shadowrun essence levels) to activate powers, it could move closer to the tactical depth of Shadowrun. You would have a health bar and valor bar to manage. Although that point is moot until another game gets designed that way.

Banjo is going to be a fine game and it does seem to be trying hard to be good. It is dissapointing though that RARE gets to crank out game after game, but other Microsoft published games get little or no support. Love the vote of confidence on the Halo Wars team.

The problem isn't Banjo getting medicore scores, the problem is Microsoft has no guts if things don't go perfect. They throw the baby out with the bath water, while on the other hand Sony shows intestinal fortitude. Just look at all the support Warhawk has gotten.

Kuroyume

Banned
Brimstone said:
Not at all. I want to play great games, I could care less what platform they are on.

Sure sounds like it! Killzone 2 and Infamous are going to murder the 360 so you won't even have the opportunity to choose sides anymore!

Brimstone said:
I want fun and innovative experiences.

So why are you looking forward to Infamous and K2? Both sound derivative...

Brimstone said:
Banjo is going to be a fine game and it does seem to be trying hard to be good. It is dissapointing though that RARE gets to crank out game after game, but other Microsoft published games get little or no support. Love the vote of confidence on the Halo Wars team.

What do you qualify as support?

Brimstone said:
The problem isn't Banjo getting medicore scores, the problem is Microsoft has no guts if things don't go perfect. They throw the baby out with the bath water, while on the other hand Sony shows intestinal fortitude. Just look at all the support Warhawk has gotten.

The 360 exists doesn't it?

Thermite

Costanza said:
They gave me the code when I preordered yesterday.

Really? I preordered a while back, and when I called Gamestop up last week after I saw some people were getting them early, they acted as if they've never even heard of getting a code for the original Banjo. :(

I hope they don't try to pull some dumb shit..

Busty

Banned
Brimstone said:

If you want to get with a winning side that lets you troll everyone else with a smug sense of superiority then I'd leave the 360 and PS3 and join the Wii fanboys.

There are hardly any decent games for it but you can quote the NPD numbers all day long.

Costanza

Banned
Thermite said:
Really? I preordered a while back, and when I called Gamestop up last week after I saw some people were getting them early, they acted as if they've never even heard of getting a code for the original Banjo. :(

I hope they don't try to pull some dumb shit..
Go in and make them look in the drawer for it. It's there.

[Nintex]

Brimstone said:
RARE did the amazing Viva Pinata games, the great Kameo game and their only real failure so far was PDZ although online still rocked.

RARE also worked on Forza 2, Fable 2 and other games as shown in the credits. The closing of Ensemble sucked, but RARE can't be blamed for that.

Raiden

Banned
I remember a time when i thought Nintendo was nuts selling Rareware.

Well fuck that, thats the best deal they ever made, Rare has not made one game as good as they did on the N64 and before.

Shit, are they doing this on purpose, they first took everything that was good about PD64 and made a cartoony mediocre shooter ouf of it. And now they ruin Banjo en Kazooie.

Well im sure its a fun game and all, but you cant compare it to the greatness that was Banjo en Kazooie on N64.

Thermite

Costanza said:
Go in and make them look in the drawer for it. It's there.

I just called them up, and the guy on the other line said they now have them, but they just aren't giving them out until the game launches. Looks like I'm set. :D

Dunlop

I think I'm more put off with the lack of any voices. I'm buying the game toplay with my kids (4 and 2), I would prefer them to be entertained with the funny characters not have to listen to me read constant text.

An there is no call to bring Shadowrun into this, the game was fucking awesome :D

It would have been a great success had they not names it after the fucking RPG to which it had almost no link to and suffered the wrath of GAF

Also should have released at $30

KevinCow

Banned
Blimblim said:
My videos are up:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7299_en.html
Last video shows the first 4 environments. As far as I know they had all been shown before, but you never know...
I watched the environments video. Nice. The more I see of this game, the more I want to play it.

Loading up the other videos now.

I also have a quick question that I haven't seen answered. I saw in one video that the different worlds are split up into multiple acts. What's the difference between these acts? Do the levels change at all, or just the missions inside them?

harSon

Banned
So the biggest negative other then it not being a carbon copy of it's predecessors is the fact that it has a steep learning curve? I'm there. I'm not much of a review point person but I'm a bit shocked that the graphics were only deserving of an 8.5, I wish reviewers would give video examples of what they mean by engine problems :O

Blimblim

The Inside Track
KevinCow said:
I watched the environments video. Nice. The more I see of this game, the more I want to play it.

Loading up the other videos now.

I also have a quick question that I haven't seen answered. I saw in one video that the different worlds are split up into multiple acts. What's the difference between these acts? Do the levels change at all, or just the missions inside them?
The missions change of course, but the levels themselves also get some changes here and there. Nothing major (so far at least), but it definitely doesn't stay static. Rare's engine allows them to move some stuff around without having to do a new lighting calculation again, so they'd better put than to good use :)
Kuroyume said:
HOLY CRAP! The scale in the environments video is ridiculous!
That was the point of the video ;)

Brimstone

Kuroyume said:
So why are you looking forward to Infamous and K2? Both sound derivative...

Killzone 2 has some different things going on like iron sights aiming and respawn which leads to different gameplay mechanics. For example, the power of marking respawn points with smoke grenades. This is exploring things in a different way than Shadowrun which is round based.

Infamous is a more open concept than Crackdown. You choose to be good or evil similar to Fable 2.

Banjo has cool stuff going on, but I bet Microsoft will flinch with these scores. They seem to have this homerun or nothing mindset. This is the fault of people running Microsoft Game Publishing, and nothing to do with the game designers at RARE or whatever. The closing of FASA was a portent. They created one of the most innovative designs in first person shooters in a long time, yet were closed. Microsoft is going to reap what they sow.

Dunlop

Brimstone said:
Banjo has cool stuff going on, but I bet Microsoft will flinch with these scores.

Their target is Mom's who cannot find a Wii for X-mas and instead pick this game up at $40 with a $199 Xbox

A great score would be gravy, but it's not a dealbreaker

providing they advertise the game

Cyberia

Blimblim, I've got a question for you:

When playing in Banjoland I wanted to see how many music notes I collected, and how many there are in total (only the notes in Banjoland) You can see that in front of the portal when you're about to enter the level, but when inside the level, you can only see how many you've collected, and not how many there are in total (in that specific level)

In the full game is there like an overview page where you can see how many notes you've collected in each level and how many you still have to collect in that specific level?

Thanks!

Darklord

Banned
That IGN UK review was pretty shit. The closing comments was as informative as the whole thing. It just says: Creating things is fun, missions are boring. That's it.

Kuroyume

Banned
Hey Blim, have you been able to try out the screenshot feature? Anyone know if the shots come out Hi-res or if they're given a nice make over like in Halo 3... Not that this game needs it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Cyberia said:
Blimblim, I've got a question for you:

When playing in Banjoland I wanted to see how many music notes I collected, and how many there are in total (only the notes in Banjoland) You can see that in front of the portal when you're about to enter the level, but when inside the level, you can only see how many you've collected, and not how many there are in total (in that specific level)

In the full game is there like an overview page where you can see how many notes you've collected in each level and how many you still have to collect in that specific level?

Thanks!
I don't think there is a way to know the number of notes you got inside a level. Maybe there is, but I didn't see it.
As for checking, I know the trophy guy allows you to have a list of challenges where you got/missed jiggies and trophies, but I don't remember notes. I could be wrong again, but since notes are the only thing that are constant in a level (200 each afaik), you just have to walk to any door leading to that level and you'll know.

Top Bottom