• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Mr. Spinnington said:
this and VP2 are both $20 at amazon right now and i can't decide whether or not to pick up even one of them. i had fun with the demo but i REALLY need to be sold on the game and this is the thread to do it in

It was my GOTY last year. I unabashedly recommend it.

Mr. Spinnington said:
this and VP2 are both $20 at amazon right now and i can't decide whether or not to pick up even one of them. i had fun with the demo but i REALLY need to be sold on the game and this is the thread to do it in
VP2 is pretty much the same game, but Banjo is amazing. Get it. Get it now or I'll come after you.

Struct09

Mr. Spinnington said:

If you managed to like the demo then you'll probably really like the full game. The demo is actually pretty bad in terms of showing off what's good about the game.

If you've ever enjoyed playing with LEGOs, you will probably find at least $20 worth of fun here. The vehicle stuff really sneaks up on you, and the game is just plain pleasant. Mission variety is less than amazing, but everything in between makes it worthwhile. For example, there is a mission that tasks you with razing the highest amount of dominoes with a single impact point. Sounds basic, but the true fun is in crafting the plan and the vehicle to solve the problem.

I'm not thrilled with terms like "GOTY," but I'd say it's among the most fun games I've played this generation. For reference, other favorites include Super Mario Galaxy and Crackdown.

Oliver.S

What a disappointment. After all this criticism about the many, many poor races, fetch quest and so on, what is Rare delivering? More of the same. Please give the vehicle editor to someone with more creativity. I am so sick of this.

Mr. Spinnington said:
I did NOT have fun with the demo and got the game as a gift so I gave it another go.
LOVED the game. Such a blast creating vehicles for the task at hand. I actually enjoyed most of the tasks.

I have Nuts and Bolts completed 1000/1000, but these challenges are fucking brutal. I can't even beat this stupid race, let alone TT it.

Edit: Argh! Rare, I want to kick you in the balls.

watkinzez

a Master Ninja said:
I'm currently stuck on Jupiter. Are we the only guys suffering through this?

Looks like it.
Look out for the last red enemy on level 7. You'll know what I mean when you get there. :(

Wizpig

Can't find these
bk-nuts-and-bolts-sns-gamerpics.png
on the Marketplace, anyone has a link?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
a Master Ninja said:
I'm currently stuck on Jupiter. Are we the only guys suffering through this?
For now, but I'll be joining you guys whenever they finally let silver members download it :'(

Downloaded the DLC. Love the price, didn't even have to add any extra points, I just purchased it with the points I had lying around. For some reason, even the LOG's Choice challenges amused me this time around, even the boring race type events. Go figure! :lol

What do you guys think the chances are that a new Banjo title will be shown at this year's E3? It's probably way too soon even for just a teaser trailer, but I've still got my fingers crossed. If anything, I'm hoping that Nuts and Bolts or the XBLA titles will be mentioned or acknowledged at the show and we'll walk away with a verbal confirmation that more Banjo is coming our way. Maybe? Please?

Mohonky

a Master Ninja said:
I have Nuts and Bolts completed 1000/1000, but these challenges are fucking brutal. I can't even beat this stupid race, let alone TT it.

Edit: Argh! Rare, I want to kick you in the balls.

Rare have a really nasty habit of making games that are quite easy to get into but insanely difficulty to master. I hit a roadblock awhile ago, keep meaning to go back and finish it but I progress slowly as I don't move on until I TT an event.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
watkinzez said:
Eh? I downloaded on a silver account last Wednesday.
:O It wasn't up last time I checked! ::goes to download::

on another note, I finally played this game on HD for the first time. So beautiful... It even makes the gameplay better in some aspects because you can see more detail.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I put this in a night or two again, went to download the DLC, accidentally downloaded a fucking premium theme which was also 400 points (what the fuck), and then finally downloaded the actual thing. I tried one challenge, a LOG's choice race in a weird cart thing with a flame thrower, I got about 2 minutes in, and turned off my console in frustration.

...and I love the game.

Wizpig

A photo i made some minutes ago, click for full size.

It's so odd... Halo 3 photo mode is actually better than the game itself [thanks to the anti-aliasing and all], while N&B photo mode kinda ruins the awesome graphics...

Jonsoncao

Banned
Grecco said:
How do you put the globe to open up the jiggesium?
first you have to beat some certain Grunty's challenge to have some wheel upgrade for your shitty cart(can climb some steep slope), then get up to the highest crane in that lake, then use the magnetic thing

gkryhewy

Just started playing this game last night (backlog), and I'm just posting to say that it's amazing. And it's BEAUTIFUL. Love the graphics so much.

Wizpig

0ICLiGJhbC8yCBt0GltTVkVEL2FjaC8wLzJGAAAAAOfn5-8iu58=.jpg

All My Own Work 20
Win a ranked solo game with a custom vehicle

Legit unlock, holy shit :eek:
I hate multiplayer achievements.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wizpig said:
0ICLiGJhbC8yCBt0GltTVkVEL2FjaC8wLzJGAAAAAOfn5-8iu58=.jpg

All My Own Work 20
Win a ranked solo game with a custom vehicle

Legit unlock, holy shit :eek:
I hate multiplayer achievements.
I got that achievement on the tiny little circuit on the Logbox stage.

It was so fucking funny because everyone else had chose these massive behemoths and I just had a tiny little seat on wheels, so while they were all smashing in to each other and getting stuck together (winkyface), I just kept to the inside and breezed it.

Got the reverse over the finish in the same race. :lol

Wizpig

grandjedi6 said:
So I have a question: Why isn't the final boss theme, Grunty's Final Challenge, in the game? I didn't even know it existed until I read about it on Grant Kirkhope's blog.
Dude, that's sad.
I still have to finish the game [and i bought it day-one *cough*] but... removing a theme that sounds good even from its name?
Why? :(

Wizpig

evilromero said:
Did you guys download the latest B-T mp3s from Rare's site? Only two up so far but I'm sure they'll upload more in the coming months.
Actually, i can't found them.
But there are EIGHT B-T Mp3s from the N64 version.

BANJO-TOOIE (N64)
Isle O' Hags (2.4MB)
Jinjo Village (2.2MB)
Mayahem Temple (2.1MB)
Witchyworld (2.1MB) Glitter Gulch Mine (1.9MB)
Atlantis (2.4MB)
Weldar (1.9MB)
Hailfire Peaks (2.1MB)

bottles

Oliver.S said:
What a disappointment. After all this criticism about the many, many poor races, fetch quest and so on, what is Rare delivering? More of the same. Please give the vehicle editor to someone with more creativity. I am so sick of this.

My thoughts exactly.

Rare are probably happy with me though. Despite their fall to mediocrity (with PDZ and N&B), I keep buying their stuff.

I really didn't love the demo but bought the game anyway due to the Amazon sale of $34 w/ free Banjo-Kazooie download. I played it for a few hours last fall and it never really hooked me. I was always fighting with the controls and had problems developing vechiles on my own that didn't control like crap.

I picked it out of my backlog last week to give it another go after completing the Xbox Live Banjo and I absolutely adore it now. I now understand the vechile building a lot more (it really wasn't that hard if you follow a few rules:

1. If you make vechiles with wheels further apart and low to the ground they are less likely to topple over.

2. If your vechile is spinning out when turning either make it heavier, take away some engines, or just get used to having a lighter touch on the gas.

3. High grip wheels are your best friends.

4. Spending some time exploring Showdown Town and hunting down LOTS of crates early on will really help give you more good vechile parts.

Alot of these things are probably fairly obvious to most people, but it took me a while to get the way to play the game since it is so unique. Once I started experimenting and making modest variations on vechile templates I had created to improve them for certain tasks, I started having a blast. This game has gone from one of my biggest disappontments to being one of my favorite 360 titles.

Really sucks that it sold so poorly.

Wizpig said:
Actually, i can't found them.
But there are EIGHT B-T Mp3s from the N64 version.

BANJO-TOOIE (N64)
Isle O' Hags (2.4MB)
Jinjo Village (2.2MB)
Mayahem Temple (2.1MB)
Witchyworld (2.1MB) Glitter Gulch Mine (1.9MB)
Atlantis (2.4MB)
Weldar (1.9MB)
Hailfire Peaks (2.1MB)
I'm retarded. I mean the Nuts & Bolts mp3s. I'm sure they'll upload a couple more in the coming months but this is encouraging. Just sucks that Grant is no longer with Rare.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
Pff. Fall to mediocrity how? By making a bunch of awesome games?

Aren’t you misguided. By making a bunch of painfully mediocre games (compared to their output during their N64 heyday), obviously: Star Fox Adventures, Ghoulies, PDZ and N&B.

Admittedly, N&B is a stunningly beautiful game, but it’s also shallow and mediocre.

Wizpig

BenjaminBirdie said:
Pff. Fall to mediocrity how? By making a bunch of awesome games?
N&B itself is awesome, but 70% of the actual N&B missions are mediocre or complete trash, especially the "L.O.G. Choice" ones where you are stuck with one veichle: sometimes it's awesome, sometimes it's shit, just like that huge motorbike in the Banjo Land mission where you have to pass in checkpoints and do tricks for Mumbo.

No wonder Showdown town is the best level.

Neither of you have semantic leg to stand on if even one person (read: me) enjoyed N&B and Viva Pinata. That means that, far from being mediocre, they were successful in their intended goal, even if you didn't like them. "Mediocrity" is not a subjective appraisal, it's an objective statement about the merits of the company.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Neither of you have semantic leg to stand on if even one person (read: me) enjoyed N&B and Viva Pinata. That means that, far from being mediocre, they were successful in their intended goal, even if you didn't like them. "Mediocrity" is not a subjective appraisal, it's an objective statement about the merits of the company.

Same here mate.

mujun

bottles said:
Aren’t you misguided. By making a bunch of painfully mediocre games (compared to their output during their N64 heyday), obviously: Star Fox Adventures, Ghoulies, PDZ and N&B.

Admittedly, N&B is a stunningly beautiful game, but it’s also shallow and mediocre.

not this again...

btw i think vp, banjo and kameo are great. banjo was one of my top games for 2008.

ElyrionX

Uhhh, the Asian version of this is going for DIRT CHEAP on Play-Asia now. We're talking about USD 10 here. Is this any good? Is it a platformer?

Top Bottom