• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Remy

What are your thoughts on the variety of Paradise City in terms of scenery? I found the demo a little bland in terms of the city - with the whole map unlocked is there lots of variety in terms of places to drive to? Do real trains run on the train tracks? Is there a subway overhead (things that give the city the feel that it's real)?

Paradise City has plenty of variety. It took me a while to realize how limited the demo was, but - there's plenty of road in the mountains, in the valley, a little bit of suburb, some industrial yard areas, a downtime space.

There's an interstate that runs through much of the city, an expressway, some underground roads, a train system that runs in a loop (Atomica at one point mentions how glad he is that they stopped running all the trains so he can drive on the tracks whenever - I laughed, but it's true.), and a dam to drive over.

There's also some big hidden areas you'll only find by veering off the roads. I've found a massive quarry, a Nascar-style dirt track with banked walls, and some sort of stunt yard with lots of ramps.

So there's lots of variety, and it does feel like a working city - there are cars parked here and there, lots of road signs, some fake restaurants and landmarks. But no, no trains.

That's so awesome. And when you succeed, you get his car in your garage?

That's exactly how it works. GOTTA CATCH EM ALL.

Oh, and here's an easter egg I've happened onto while typing all these notes up: Stop your car in the road, but don't pause the game. You'll get some classical music and some nice black and white footage of the roads.

Is this game out early or something? I had a $20 coupon to EA's webstore (thanks, Rock Band issues!), so I bought it direct from EA. I might go pick it up if it is out right now at certain stores though... and just return the copy that comes in the mail to the store.

Remy said:
Paradise City has plenty of variety. It took me a while to realize how limited the demo was, but - there's plenty of road in the mountains, in the valley, a little bit of suburb, some industrial yard areas, a downtime space.

There's an interstate that runs through much of the city, an expressway, some underground roads, a train system that runs in a loop (Atomica at one point mentions how glad he is that they stopped running all the trains so he can drive on the tracks whenever - I laughed, but it's true.), and a dam to drive over.

There's also some big hidden areas you'll only find by veering off the roads. I've found a massive quarry, a Nascar-style dirt track with banked walls, and some sort of stunt yard with lots of ramps.

So there's lots of variety, and it does feel like a working city - there are cars parked here and there, lots of road signs, some fake restaurants and landmarks. But no, no trains.

That's exactly how it works. GOTTA CATCH EM ALL.

Oh, and here's an easter egg I've happened onto while typing all these notes up: Stop your car in the road, but don't pause the game. You'll get some classical music and some nice black and white footage of the roads.
I noticed that in the demo too after I had to run off suddenly without pausing.

what the hell is that? :lol the car just keeps bouncing around like Mario on mushrooms?

and I'm guessing either there is more traffic in the final game or traffic suddenly appears when you enter this mode because wow that's a lot of cars.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Kingpen said:
Someone with the game has put up a video of Showtime mode... Judge for yourself on if you think this looks fun and is a suitable replacement for Crash mode or not. I know this helps me make my decision to part with 60 bucks or not.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgCkdUOyJY

The main reason you play Burnout is because of the crash mode?

I thought the crash mode was good party fun, but 90% of the time I'm racing and leveling up.

Remy

bune duggy said:
and I'm guessing either there is more traffic in the final game or traffic suddenly appears when you enter this mode because wow that's a lot of cars.

Entering Showtime mode does cause a lot more traffic to spawn suddenly. Depends on the road, though.

Raw64life

Kingpen said:
Someone with the game has put up a video of Showtime mode... Judge for yourself on if you think this looks fun and is a suitable replacement for Crash mode or not. I know this helps me make my decision to part with 60 bucks or not.

That actually looks a lot more fun than anything else we've seen from Showtime so far. But still not as good as the original Crash Mode.

Thunderbear said:

I thought the crash mode was good party fun, but 90% of the time I'm racing and leveling up.

I like the other modes too but Crash was by far my favorite and also the favorite of everyone else I knew who had the game. I would've been a lot happier with a Crash mode separate from the main game even with menus and load times and everything if they had to make those sacrifices to get it in the game.

Remy said:
Entering Showtime mode does cause a lot more traffic to spawn suddenly. Depends on the road, though.
ah, I see. And how does it work? from the video it looked like crashes gave you boost which caused the car to keep going. Run out of boost, show time is over. is that the gist of it?

Dibbz

Remy said:
They're not licensed, so people generally don't care. But, for the sake of completeness:

FROM BURNOUT 1:
Tokyo Nights
Round and Rounder
Lyon
Like My Shirt
Halfway To Dreaming
Free
Fight Or Flight
Exodus
Chicken George
Caught On A Wire

FROM BURNOUT 2:
Burnout 2002 Reprise
Bulldozer Blues
Pass Me By
Panic Attacks
Dark Moon Rising
Childish Games
Destroyer Mix
Bridge The Gap
Backlash
A Photograph

FROM BURNOUT 3:
Ozone
16 Years On
Another World
Betties Last Voyage
Liquid Sky
Red Sky Horizon
Shine
Take Cover
Tonight This Ends

FROM BURNOUT PARADISE:
Burnout Paradise Theme

Also - they have gone way, way overboard with the song censoring. Avril Lavigne's album is listed as "Best D*** Thing", but that's nothing - they edited the word "drunk" out of Us Vs. Them. :lol
Wow thatnks for going through the trouble of getting all this info! Sounds awesome, can't wait to play Paradise with some of these awesome tracks. It should bring back some fond memories :D

Found a store selling the game early, so I've been playing it for the past 3-4 hours. Lots of fun so far, although I'm a little annoyed/frustrated that there aren't many Road Rage events (my favorite type of event). I've only found two Road Rage events and about three Stunt Runs, but I've found a gazillion Races and Burning Laps.

Some quick, unorganized thoughts:

--Graphics are nice enough, but someone seriously needs to tell Criterion's art department to TURN THE FUCKING CONTRAST DOWN. Maybe it's to overcompensate for the less than stunning graphics, but whatever. There's some occasional pop-in but no major technical problems.

--Someone asked about the city feeling alive--it doesn't. You'll see other cars driving around, but the city itself feels dead because there aren't any people around. It sounds silly, but it's true. I could care less about people in the cars, but no people anywhere makes the city feel pretty desolate. At least you can feel better knowing that DJ Atomica is around somewhere and you aren't the only person in Paradise City.

--No loading is nice. I'm not an anti-loading person (unless it's extremely excessive), but when it's gone, it makes you realize what a seamless experience they've created.

--I didn't like the demo at all, but I'm amazed at how much fun I'm having with the game. I guess I got used to the whole open-ended thing after a while. If you lose an event, it's not a big deal about doing it over immediately because you can just move over to another event...

--...but it's annoying when I finish an event and end up somewhere in the mountains or some area where there aren't many events and I have to haul ass (car?) back to the city area where there are more events.

--It's a little too easy to get lost. The mini-map is half-helpful/half-bitch. I can't keep my eye on the map all the time because I'm too busy avoiding oddly-placed concrete barriers that wouldn't even be placed there in real life (Criterion's motto: Urban planned be damned!).

--The music. Fine, there are a few good songs, but the rest is crap. I can take Avril Lavigne, but those poppy-punk type bands are HORRIBLE. At least you can turn songs off.

--Um, the box are is nice? The manual is cheap as hell, but at least the box art is pretty.

Agent X

Kingpen said:

That's silly. You can do "Aftertouch TO THE EXTREME!" and steer the rolling car all over the road, doing 90 degree turns on a whim.

Once again, we're seeing an example of inconsistency in this game's design. The developers didn't want to offer retry options or selectable start points because it's "unrealistic" and "too video gamey", but they've got no qualms about tossing in an exaggerated, busted physics model.

We lost Crash mode for this?

BTW, the fun of Crash modes in prior Burnout games wasn't necessarily restricted to the tumbing your broken wreck, but in cleverly wedging your vehicle into a situation where it would catch other vehicles in a supreme pile-up. You'd want to see buses and trailers dumped on their sides perpendicular to the flow of traffic, and watch other hapless cars skidding to try to avoid them before they met their demise as well.

ghostmind

Kingpen said:

Meh... I wanted the puzzle-esque crash mode of old, not a car-based Katamari Damacy.

I was one of those who unlocked levels just to get more crash setups.

h3ro

Kingpen said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Its like Katamari on crack... looks like tons of fun...

I'm not as attached to the original Crash Mode as others seem to be (probably since the first BO I played was Revenge) but this seems like tons of fun! I wonder who is going to pull off the first Billion Dollar combo..

Remy

bune duggy said:
ah, I see. And how does it work? from the video it looked like crashes gave you boost which caused the car to keep going. Run out of boost, show time is over. is that the gist of it?

Starting Showtime mode gives you a full boost bar; hitting another car gives you some of it back (this amount shrinks as time goes on). Every 10 cars hit gives you a bonus of about 75% of your bar back. Boost can be used to bounce your car; aftertouch can be applied using the analog stick as well as the L1/R1 buttons for sharper turns. (PS3 owners can use the Sixaxis nonsense to do sharp turns as well, so if you're twisting the controller in your hands, I suppose it works better.)

Hitting a car gets you the amount of money shown over the car; if that car hits another car, you get a "combo", which I believe is double the amount on the second car.

Hitting a bus gets you +1 to your multiplier. Buses are your friend, and you'll probably want to start Showtime when you see at least one because the multiplier is really the key to high scores.

Hitting a sign (not a billboard) adds $10,000.

Mode ends when your car comes to rest and you're out of boost.

Your final score is (TotalDollarsInDamage + (Yards Traveled * 100)) * Multiplier. This means that there's a fair amount of weight put on how far you can move the car, although you won't be able to keep it bouncing without hitting other cars.

Your score is registered against the road you started on, so if you want to veer off onto a side street, you can.

Another unlockable sponsored car:
Code:
circuitcity
The Best Buy, Circuit City, and GameStop cars all require a Class A license to use offline. The Wal-Mart car and the pre-order "Wheels of Steel" car require the next one after that.

Has a map surfaced yet of all the events, drive thrus, etc?

Sort of a random question, but does anyone know if Best Buy will have the game in stock tomorrow?

I don't usually buy games first day from BB, but I have gift cards.

Remy said:
Starting Showtime mode gives you a full boost bar; hitting another car gives you some of it back (this amount shrinks as time goes on). Every 10 cars hit gives you a bonus of about 75% of your bar back. Boost can be used to bounce your car; aftertouch can be applied using the analog stick as well as the L1/R1 buttons for sharper turns. (PS3 owners can use the Sixaxis nonsense to do sharp turns as well, so if you're twisting the controller in your hands, I suppose it works better.)

Hitting a car gets you the amount of money shown over the car; if that car hits another car, you get a "combo", which I believe is double the amount on the second car.

Hitting a bus gets you +1 to your multiplier. Buses are your friend, and you'll probably want to start Showtime when you see at least one because the multiplier is really the key to high scores.

Hitting a sign (not a billboard) adds $10,000.

Mode ends when your car comes to rest and you're out of boost.

Your final score is (TotalDollarsInDamage + (Yards Traveled * 100)) * Multiplier. This means that there's a fair amount of weight put on how far you can move the car, although you won't be able to keep it bouncing without hitting other cars.

Your score is registered against the road you started on, so if you want to veer off onto a side street, you can.
nice, thanks for that.

Remy

a Master Ninja said:
Has a map surfaced yet of all the events, drive thrus, etc?

I'm short literally one event - I have all the drive thrus. If I can find that last one, I'll take a picture.

MaizeRage25 said:
Sort of a random question, but does anyone know if Best Buy will have the game in stock tomorrow?

My local Best Buy had it Friday so I'm assuming EA did a good job a shipping it to retailers well in advance.
Remy said:
I'm short literally one event - I have all the drive thrus. If I can find that last one, I'll take a picture.
Hell, I'd even like to see a pick of all the drive thrus. I have no idea how I'm missing 2 gas stations, but I have a feeling they are right next to the three events I'm missing.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
MaizeRage25 said:

Yes

ch0mp

Thunderbear said:

Crash was one of the most enjoyable modes for me, and setting up the perfect crash was a good challenge. Showtime on the other hand looks ridiculous.

Brendon

ch0mp said:
Crash was one of the most enjoyable modes for me, and setting up the perfect crash was a good challenge. Showtime on the other hand looks ridiculous.

Finally someone else! That's my biggest complaint after playing the game for a while. I loved the Crash Mode, and it was the one my friends and I would play if we were bored and wanted to entertain ourselves for a while. The racing is the same as it's always been, and the overall city aspect and online modes really do add a lot to the game. But the missing crash mode made me :(

And yes, Showtime is ridiculous. On some of the longer streets you can roll into cars so long you'll be bored well before you have to stop. I think my record was just under 10 minutes before I gave up and made it stop.

well I can't help bad decisions. :p

yeah. make sure you use the highest setting on your printer so it'll scan though. and cut it out of the paper when you're done. and absolutely don't say you downloaded it. say you found it in a magazine or something.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Iamthegamer said:
Seems like Showtime mode could use a timer. Kind of a lame replacement.

That's Criterion's way to make it fun to go back to the start of an event you just lost.

TTP said:
That's Criterion's way to make it fun to go back to the start of an event you just lost.
:lol Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... argh... Now where was that intersection.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TTP said:
If they wanted to do that they could have added a flying car code, or invincibility, or something that doesn't slow you down.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
ch0mp said:

I agree showtime doesn't look all that great, though it doesn't really impact me wanting to get this game.

Anything that takes a turn for a worse is a shame though.

newsguy

Thunderbear said:
I agree showtime doesn't look all that great, though it doesn't really impact me wanting to get this game.

This is my view. It's one of those things where you have to activate it, so it's as simple as never doing so. It looks terribly lame, but crash was never the meat and potatoes for me.

EDIT: and thanks for that BB coupon earlier in the page. That may be the reason I go with the PS3 version.

MrDaravon

Kingpen said:

Jesus, what the fuck. That looks goddamn ridiculous. We lost Crash Mode for this? Rental status confirmed.

Brendon

SailorDaravon said:
Jesus, what the fuck. That looks goddamn ridiculous. We lost Crash Mode for this? Rental status confirmed.

Everything else about the game is better than the past Burnout titles. The lack of Crash Mode sucks, but it's not something that completely ruins the game, which is fantastic.

Plus, EA needed to hold SOMETHING back for the next version!

gray_fox224 said:
FYI, there's a YMMV with that. Hopefully, you'll get a cashier who doesn't care. Good luck.
yeah, I know about that email that was sent out. It would suck if it didn't work on the one game I want it to work on (I've bought 4 games in the past month using that coupon and only did so because of the coupon).

MrDaravon

Brendon said:
Everything else about the game is better than the past Burnout titles. The lack of Crash Mode sucks, but it's not something that completely ruins the game, which is fantastic.

Plus, EA needed to hold SOMETHING back for the next version!

From the demo and what I've seen and read, it seems like the game is going to be awesome to mess around with when you're playing with a bunch of friends, but single player isn't really impressing me with the lack of retries and crash mode. I could be in the minority where I'm gauging a purchase primarily on single-player content/gameplay though. Either way I pretty much decided I wasn't buying it after Alex Ward's big fuck you.

Kingpen

SailorDaravon said:
From the demo and what I've seen and read, it seems like the game is going to be awesome to mess around with when you're playing with a bunch of friends, but single player isn't really impressing me with the lack of retries and crash mode. I could be in the minority where I'm gauging a purchase primarily on single-player content/gameplay though. Either way I pretty much decided I wasn't buying it after Alex Ward's big fuck you.

I'm 1p too mainly, and I don't think random events on the map are going to keep me motivated to play for very long. Seems like something I'll be enthralled with for a few hours, and then get bored with it. I like Revenge because of the Stars ranking system and all the different events that are easily accessible. I used Crash mode a lot in Revenge and Takedown, so I will sorely miss them for showtime mode which looks completely stale to me and un-enticing. The only thing I see appealing to Paradise is the Marked Man events a la Chase HQ/Burnout 2 and the pokemon 'gotta catch them all' aspect of earning cars. I think I'll pass on this...

With regards to the coupon, does anyone know where I could get a printable one? They are supreme sticklers at my Best Buy. Gracias in advance for any info on making this coupon/deal work.

Top Bottom