• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

DenogginizerOS said:
With both ears covered, does the sound of the game come through the earpieces or do you just deal with muffled sound from your surround sound? I would think that one would need a single earpiece microphone for PS3 games.
I dunno, that's why I was asking for thoughts on it. The Logitech PS2 headset is one speaker and I hadn't thought about the whys before your post. Makes sense that it might be a little muffled w/ two ear pieces.
Rowsdower said:
You probably already figured that out, but it's a lot harder to nail a jump when coming from the west, since the sun blinds you.
I kind of like that design choice but at the same time it makes racing into the west a little difficult. Couldn't they have made it not be sunset all the time? maybe noon to keep the glare down? sheesh. :)

Rowsdower

h3ro said:
any ETA on the GameTrailers review?

They must be making the slanted comparo vid first I guess... :p

I fear for this thread when a GT comparison video comes out...we should make another thread to decrease collateral damage :D .

h3ro

Rowsdower said:
I fear for this thread when a GT comparison video comes out...we should make another thread to decrease collateral damage :D .

"KEEP THE COMPARO VID OUT!!!!"

Can you add that to the OP? :p

Seriously though, the last thing I want is comparisons of grass blade texture of a corner of the game which is only accessible when making comparo vids...

Also, you must use your mind powers when viewing said videos to add +3 contrast and correct gamma to the PS3 version...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I'm disappointed I don't have Live anymore. I remember being #35 racer in the world when Revenge came out (and most people ahead were cheaters). Good times, those were.

But yea, tomorrow, I'm gonna bang the shit out of this game, regardless. Can't wait.

BeeDog

For the Swedes here, Elgiganten will sell both the PS3 and 360 versions for 499 kr as of the 24th!

PS3 version for me, can't wait for this game. :D I realized I need my Burnout fix.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I fear for this thread when a GT comparison video comes out...we should make another thread to decrease collateral damage
Why? In this case, the differences are minor enough that a video will become useless (unless it is recorded at 60 fps with a very high bitrate). The two versions look virtually the same.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
h3ro said:
any ETA on the GameTrailers review?

They must be making the slanted comparo vid first I guess... :p

Oh man you know they will eventually just to for the giggles but if anything they need a better HD videos on their site. Usually their HD stuff on my comp tends to look like garbage and I have a good graphics card and monitor too and Processor.

Dibbz

Not going through the entire thread, but can someone tell me if the Burnout 2 and unreleased Burnout 3 soundtracks are in the game??

Remy

Dibbz said:
Not going through the entire thread, but can someone tell me if the Burnout 2 and unreleased Burnout 3 soundtracks are in the game??

There are 10 tracks from Burnout 1 and Burnout 2, and 9 tracks from Burnout 3, listed in the EA Trax menu option.

If anyone with the PS3 version wants to crank through some online challenges, let me know, I'll be playing for the next few hours.

h3ro

Xun said:
May I ask, how have you managed to pick it up early?

Some places already had the game out on display and the lucky bastid picked it up before they realized their mistake!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Remy said:
There are 10 tracks from Burnout 1 and Burnout 2, and 9 tracks from Burnout 3, listed in the EA Trax menu option.

If anyone with the PS3 version wants to crank through some online challenges, let me know, I'll be playing for the next few hours.

Thats nice I always liked the music form these games.

Dibbz

Remy said:

OK awesome. Can I just ask if the music in this trailer is in Paradise? If it is then I am buying Paradise day 1!

Xun

Dibbz said:
OK awesome. Can I just ask if the music in this trailer is in Paradise? If it is then I am buying Paradise day 1!
Since that was probably the most iconic song from Burnout 2. I'm guessing so.

h3ro

Dibbz said:

Here is the Official Soundtrack list... Rowsdower, you might wanna add this as well :p

* Adam And The Ants - "Stand And Deliver"
* Agent Blue - "Snowhill"
* Airbourne - "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast"
* Alice In Chains - "Would?"
* Army Of Me - "Going Through Changes"
* Avril Lavigne - "Girlfriend"
* B'z - "FRICTION"
* Brain Failure feat. Dicky Barrett - "Coming Down To Beijing"
* Brand New - "The Archers Bows Have Broken"
* Bromheads Jacket - "Fight Music For The Fight"
* Depeche Mode - "Route 66 (Beatmasters Mix)"
* Faith No More - "Epic"
* Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City"
* Innerpartysystem - "Heart Of Fire"
* Jane's Addiction - "Stop!"
* Jimmy Eat World - "Electable (Give It Up)"
* Junkie XL feat. Lauren Rocket - "Cities In Dust"
* Jupiter One - "Fire Away"
* Kerli - "Creepshow"
* Killswitch Engage - "My Curse"
* LCD Soundsystem - "Us V. Them"
* Make Good Your Escape - "Beautiful Ruin"
* Maxeen - "Block Out The World"
* Mexicolas - "Come Clean"
* N.E.R.D. - "Rockstar (Jason Nevins Mix)"
* Never Heard Of It - "Finger On The Trigger"
* Operator - "Nothing To Lose"
* Permanent ME - "Until You Leave"
* Saosin - "Collapse"
* Seether - "Fake It"
* Senses Fail - "Calling All Cars"
* Showing Off To Thieves - "Everyone Has Their Secrets"
* Skybombers - "It Goes Off"
* Soundgarden - "Rusty Cage"
* Sugarcult - "Dead Living"
* Swervedriver - "Duel"
* The Photo Atlas - "Red Orange Yellow"
* The Pigeon Detectives - "I'm Not Sorry"
* The Styles - "Glitter Hits ( J.J . Puig Mix)"
* Twisted Sister - "I Wanna Rock"

h3ro

Dibbz said:
omg Awesome!

How come they don't list any of the B1/2/3 tracks in the official track list a few posts above?

I'm guessing they didn't want to take focus away from all the "awesome, hip" artists on that list... like Avril Lavigne....

Remy

Dibbz said:
omg Awesome!

How come they don't list any of the B1/2/3 tracks in the official track list a few posts above?

They're not licensed, so people generally don't care. But, for the sake of completeness:

FROM BURNOUT 1:
Tokyo Nights
Round and Rounder
Lyon
Like My Shirt
Halfway To Dreaming
Free
Fight Or Flight
Exodus
Chicken George
Caught On A Wire

FROM BURNOUT 2:
Burnout 2002 Reprise
Bulldozer Blues
Pass Me By
Panic Attacks
Dark Moon Rising
Childish Games
Destroyer Mix
Bridge The Gap
Backlash
A Photograph

FROM BURNOUT 3:
Ozone
16 Years On
Another World
Betties Last Voyage
Liquid Sky
Red Sky Horizon
Shine
Take Cover
Tonight This Ends

FROM BURNOUT PARADISE:
Burnout Paradise Theme

Also - they have gone way, way overboard with the song censoring. Avril Lavigne's album is listed as "Best D*** Thing", but that's nothing - they edited the word "drunk" out of Us Vs. Them. :lol

h3ro

Rowsdower said:
I'll get right on that. ┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Managing an OP sucks, don't it... :p

We need more impressions! Come on guys, I saw the pick up thread, I know there are a few GAFers out there with it!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Feb 7 for aussies? Assholes!

So how is everyone enjoying the game? It was going to be the game that made me buy a PS3 :lol , But i'm not too sure about it anymore. Does look like alot of PS3 gafers are on it though :D

Raw64life

So what are the chances of me grabbing this game tomorrow? I know a Tuesday release usually means they're not in-store until Wednesday, but the reports of several major retailers putting them out early shows that they've already had the game for quite some time. This leads me to believe that I might be able to get it Tuesday. I live in an area where games never ever get released early which is why I'm skeptical.

Raw64life said:
So what are the chances of me grabbing this game tomorrow? I know a Tuesday release usually means they're not in-store until Wednesday, but the reports of several major retailers putting them out early shows that they've already had the game for quite some time. This leads me to believe that I might be able to get it Tuesday. I live in an area where games never ever get released early which is why I'm skeptical.

The Best Buy flier said it would be in stores Tuesday so I think it will be widely available.

besada

Banned
h3ro said:
Managing an OP sucks, don't it... :p

We need more impressions! Come on guys, I saw the pick up thread, I know there are a few GAFers out there with it!

My impression is that it's not been purchased yet. Is it out in the U.S. today or will I have to wait until Wednesday when they usually show up?

Remy

Raw64life said:

Any game that ends up being an "event" release has a "street date" rather than a "ship date". Stores get it in early so they can guarantee they'll have it in on the Tuesday, instead of it shipping on the Tuesday.

Generally, if you see people getting a game early, assume it's a street date - which means your stores should have it on Tuesday.

I'm writing up some impressions now, I'll post them in a few.

Kingpen

I want impressions on how long this would entertain a 1p only gamer. I don't care about the fluff stuff like the camera integration that the reviews have been hyping up.

I just rebought BO Revenge for 1p gaming and I'm wondering if I should return it and just pick up Paradise? Is it that much more of a polished and better game then Revenge 360?

Rowsdower

Kingpen said:
I want impressions on how long this would entertain a 1p only gamer. I don't care about the fluff stuff like the camera integration that the reviews have been hyping up.

I just rebought BO Revenge for 1p gaming and I'm wondering if I should return it and just pick up Paradise? Is it that much more of a polished and better game then Revenge 360?

Paradise happens to make the biggest jump the franchise has done since BO2->BO3. Just as a lot of the BO fans were turned off back then, another chunk of the fanbase has its doubts about Paradise. Some love the new sandbox-approach and the innovative online multiplayer, other's are turned off by lack of structure and a quickplay-menu.
If you liked the demo, for heavens sake, buy Paradise. The 1Player part is like the demo except with races, road rages, burning laps, stunt runs, marked mans and other challenges on every intersection in the city. Personally, i can't imagine it being boing, although the online part is undoubtedly the strongest part of the game.

I'm writing up some impressions now, I'll post them in a few.

Yay.

Remy

I've clocked about 10 hours, giving me about 30% completion. I have about half of the awards as well, and am working through my B license. And for whatever it's worth, my first game in the series was #3.

Event types first, but let me note: when you're working on your license, every time you "level up" and get a new license, completion status for all events (save Burning Routes) goes away. This is probably the largest reason there's no "reset" button for events, because after enough points on your license, most everything clears out and you can do them again.

ROAD RAGE: I know we all played this in the demo, so just be aware that there's really no differentiation between each different Road Rage event other than starting point. The first one you do requires 3 takedowns, then 4, then 5, and so on. No fixed routes makes this more enjoyable than RR was previously, if that's possible.

I do enjoy that they took the HUD arrows away from the cars you're supposed to take out, as it's a little more challenging to have to track their movements rather than drive at the cars with arrows over them.

RACES: I haven't hit any races with checkpoints yet, for what that's worth. All the races end at one of eight spots on the map, notable with the overhead red banners. There's one in each cardinal direction, as is explained in the game opening. Other than that, you know, it's the regular racing mechanism.

STUNT RUNS: I have grown to hate these. The idea seems good enough (score n points in x time), but there are some things that don't add to your combo (near misses, I think), and the things that multiply your combo (billboards, big air) require a bit of pre-planning. I end up trying to drive to another multiply-friendly area and gunning the boost for a second to reset the combo timer. These feel like a drag comparatively.

BURNING ROUTES: Now, *this* is where restart is needed. Each car type has one burning route. Learn from my mistakes: if you're in a car, and you see an orange circle with a star in it on the radar, that means "Hey, you found the burning route for this car, so just in case you're looking for it, drive this way, dummy". I spent way longer than I'd like to admit driving around in frustration trying to find the one for the car I'm in before realizing this.

Clearing a BR gives you not only a point on your license, but a "custom" version of the car you're in. "Custom" seems to mean "a point is removed from speed and added to boost". So they're *mostly* worthless, but for completion sake you're going to be doing all of these anyhow.

MARKED MAN: These are quite fun, and with no time limit, it's a little more strategic than the other modes. If you're getting bashed up, it's definitely in your favor to go off-route and find a repair shop. The AI does get more aggressive the higher you level up - at the lower levels, driving slow would confuse them, but where I am now, they won't hesitate to take advantage.

As for the side missions:

SHUTDOWNS: Every couple of license points, you'll get word of a new rival on the street in some car you don't have. As you putter around town, you'll eventually have them cruise by you, and you have to take them down. I really love this; I'll be driving towards a race or something and suddenly get completed distracted trying to ram some idiot in a pickup truck. They don't show up on the radar or anything, so you have to keep your eyes peeled for someone driving erratically.

ROAD RULES: So one place EA could have really done better is with invoking the Road Rules modes. Road Rules includes speed records per road and showtime crashes (more on that later), but unless you know to hit Up on the d-pad, you'll never invoke them, ever. When you hit up, you'll cycle through modes in this order:

Off -> Speed record (offline) -> Speed record (online) -> Showtime (offline) -> Showtime (online)

Why there's separate stops for offline and online baffles me. I tend to leave it in online mode all the time.

SPEED RECORDS: To be honest, I haven't been focusing on these too much.

SHOWTIME: Showtime is the replacement for crash mode, and the saddest part is I bet 60% of the people who play Paradise will never figure out how to get into it.

What you do is (after you've passed 4 events - don't ask why!), you hit L1+R1 at any point, your car swerves horizontal and then flips into the air. Then you crash with glee. But I repeat: you have to hit a two-button combination to even get the thing started. This isn't a big deal for us, but this is one point that the game doesn't drill into your head repeatedly, so I expect casual gamers to miss this small detail.

While I do miss regular old set-piece crash mode, there's something to be said for the freedom of being able to pick and choose when you want to drop into it. You have more control over your car in the air (since your boost is constantly refilling with each hit, which means you can bounce more), and judging your bounces becomes addictive. So I'm willing to say that Showtime mode is flawed (mostly for how you get into it), but enjoyable.

I want impressions on how long this would entertain a 1p only gamer.

It depends.

I find the free-roaming fun; searching for crash gates or jumps, trying to find every event intersection. But you may just want to be dropped into events, and the game isn't going to do that for you.

I can deal with their being five main event types and then all these little side things, but it can get repetitive. Road Rage gains a lot of liberation from not having a set route, but then I realize that I am not paying any attention to where I'm driving, and I can easily end up on the other side of the map.

Also, if you're really not going to do multiplayer at all, you're going to miss out on 350 missions that *are* varied, and a lot of fun. Last night I was doing a three person mission where you each had to jump over the other two cars in the Downtown Park. Getting there, figuring out which jump it was, taking turns making the jumps - it's very cooperative, and with the right teammates, it's a hoot.

(That said, you're going to want to shore up some friends for this fast, because from what I've seen, most people Freeburning right now ignore the challenges and just want to crash into each other. Philistines.)

So if this was just a single player game, I'd probably give it an 8/10 - flawed but enjoyable. With the online - and with the right group to play with online - it's a 9.

BPK

Great impressions Remy! What are your thoughts on the variety of Paradise City in terms of scenery? I found the demo a little bland in terms of the city - with the whole map unlocked is there lots of variety in terms of places to drive to? Do real trains run on the train tracks? Is there a subway overhead (things that give the city the feel that it's real)?

Rowsdower

Remy said:
(That said, you're going to want to shore up some friends for this fast, because from what I've seen, most people Freeburning right now ignore the challenges and just want to crash into each other. Philistines.)

It's a good thing we have GAF then.

Thanks for your impressions, it eases the pain i have to endure until thursday.

SHUTDOWNS: Every couple of license points, you'll get word of a new rival on the street in some car you don't have. As you putter around town, you'll eventually have them cruise by you, and you have to take them down. I really love this; I'll be driving towards a race or something and suddenly get completed distracted trying to ram some idiot in a pickup truck. They don't show up on the radar or anything, so you have to keep your eyes peeled for someone driving erratically.

That's so awesome. And when you succeed, you get his car in your garage? That's really like pokemon :D .

Kobayashi

Remy said:
I bet 60% of the people who play Paradise will never figure out how to get into it.

What you do is (after you've passed 4 events - don't ask why!), you hit L1+R1 at any point, your car swerves horizontal and then flips into the air. Then you crash with glee. But I repeat: you have to hit a two-button combination to even get the thing started. This isn't a big deal for us, but this is one point that the game doesn't drill into your head repeatedly, so I expect casual gamers to miss this small detail.

QFT

Thanks for pointing that out! I missed the introduction to Showtime mode and i didn't know how to start it! Thanks!

X360 Gamertag: el koba
PAL Version in my 360 as we speak :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thanks for the impressions, sounds like it is going to be alot of fun online, which is where i spent 99% of my time in Burnout3.

Erebus

Remy said:
Also - they have gone way, way overboard with the song censoring. Avril Lavigne's album is listed as "Best D*** Thing", but that's nothing - they edited the word "drunk" out of Us Vs. Them. :lol

It was always like this in Burnout Dominator too. Did they include again all the different versions of Girlfriend by the way? Like Spanish, Japanese, Mandarine and so on.:lol

Top Bottom