• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

jiji said:
Because metal, manual film bodies are in and plastic, automatic film bodies are out. People who are happy using plastic automatics are generally happy with digital.

It's not really about how long the body will last. It's about the experience.
Eh? Ever heard of the lomo holga? Quite popular with the hipster set. Film will be with us for quite some time... People still buy vynil records (myself included) because there is something "cool" about doing it old school.

People though if going film generally want a classic style camera. A late 80s/90s auto is pretty much worthless.

Flo_Evans said:
Eh? Ever heard of the lomo holga? Quite popular with the hipster set. Film will be with us for quite some time... People still buy vynil records (myself included) because there is something "cool" about doing it old school.
Yeah, I'm a film guy and I love mechanical cameras. The Holga/Diana thing is a little different.

Gabyskra

Banned
Just bought a new camera! Canon A-1, I am absolutely PSYCHED!

lQEaw.jpg

Flo_Evans

^Nice pickup, looks mint!

I have been looking at what is available for a better macro lens for my nikon...

In8Zh.jpg

This is the king daddy. One day it will be mounted on my d7000!

Futureman

Gabyskra said:
Just bought a new camera! Canon A-1, I am absolutely PSYCHED!

lQEaw.jpg

how much did you pay for yours? I have one with lots of wear and I'm wondering the market value. Though my brand new T2 went for $5 on eBay so I should probably just keep my A-1.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Hoping to get a ton of OT over the next month or two. Probably going to severely burn myself out at work in the process...but I want the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L :D

Thraktor

BlueTsunami said:
Low light video sample with the NEX-5N and the kit lens (And just the kit lens)...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/09/01/sony-nex-5n-low-light-and-high-iso-video-samples/

Very hard to tell if what I'm seeing is YouTube compression or aggressive noise reduction; I'd love to see the original files, or failing that at least a Vimeo upload.

That said, first impressions are pretty good. With the 1080p/60fps mode and likely better video quality than the NEX-7, this could become the go-to HD-video camera. Now if they could only issue a firmware update to correct their monumentally moronic decision to leave out both 60fps and 24fps from the European model...

mrnorush said:
which is ironic. why would people (including myself) want metal body when you can't use it forever? Do people really think that film will outlast digital?

a metal film SLR body will hold its value far longer than whatever DSLR body you last bought - even if we reset the clock from today. no sensor to upgrade (or degrade) means that the value is entirely in the engineering, feel and lens.

Flo_Evans said:

People though if going film generally want a classic style camera. A late 80s/90s auto is pretty much worthless.

lomo is a brand, holga isn't part of it - i have a holga 135 and like it a lot, but i also really want a lomo LC-A+ or LC-A wide:

lca01b.jpg

these are really awesome cameras, "hipster" or not. the lens is totally unique, the build is amazing (tiny body) and the potential for creativity with a few simple controls (multiple exposure, light meter, zone focusing etc) is really high. it's pretty expensive for what it is, mind, but you won't get better pictures out of a similarly-sized digital compact even after photoshop.

i picked one of these up last month:

1101t_004.JPG

superheadz golden half. this is, i think, the smallest 35mm camera in the world - it's absolutely tiny, and shoots half-frame which means that you get 72 frames a roll and as such i've been pretty much taking it everywhere. really nice results, and great fun to use - there's even a flash hotshoe on the side!

after thinking about the fuji x50, though, i've decided that one of fuji's film compacts is probably a better bet. they still make and sell these, in japan at least:

ffnr0052.jpg

this is the klasse W, which is a really nice manually controlled wide angle camera (there's a 38mm version too) but kind of bulky and expensive (though thinking about it, probably not any more than what the x50 is going to be)

1094892.pimg

and here's the natura classica, which is pretty much a point-and-shoot but has a 2.8 zoom lens and a crazy feature which lets you use 1600 film in low light with barely any grain, and it's TINY - i think i might get this, because seriously for what it is, there probably isn't a higher quality camera in the world at that size still being made.

i wish more companies would still produce cameras like this.

Flo_Evans

I used to have a lomo LCA. It is not as great as you think it is...

Add up film+development costs over the lifetime of the camera and you can easily buy a compact digital that will blow it away.

It is a neat little camera, just don't kid yourself. If you really want to get into film and want HQ you should try and find a medium format TLR.

i guess we're after different things from our cameras, then. i don't consider film/development costs a barrier - they're a downside, but it's just the way it is considering 35mm is better than the sensor in any digital compact (obviously with the LC-A "quality" is a subjective term, but you know what i mean). for me, the most important things in a camera is the scope for creativity and the experience of actually using the thing. digital compacts tend to fall short in both of these - except the fuji x100, i guess, which is why i'm a little disappointed with the x50/x10. if it's not going to give me different results to something i already own, it had better at least be fun to use.

tino

Banned
That Superheadz camera seem like alot of fun. I have never heard of it. I think I have to get one when my wife is not paying attention.

As for Fujifilm Natura cameras, my favorite is the Natura Black 1.9. This version is very hard to find.

dantehemi said:
Would you take this over a canon t2i or t3i? I ask cause at the end of this month I am receiving some money's that will towards my first camera ever!!!
It depends. I would since I have a C3 and kind of wish I had waited. The NEX camera's are fun. They lack amazing lenses, but the features packed into them make them fun to use. The touch screen, great battery life, great video, sweep panorama, small bodies. But you will not have access to a wide range of lenses like the Canon. Can you live with that?

tino said:
That Superheadz camera seem like alot of fun. I have never heard of it. I think I have to get one when my wife is not paying attention.

As for Fujifilm Natura cameras, my favorite is the Natura Black 1.9. This version is very hard to find.

yeah i'd love to get my hands on one of those, i just like that the natura classica is sold in most camera stores here. there's a 3000 unit limited edition white one that i'd like to get, but i kind of prefer the black design so i'm not sure.

the golden half is like 4000 yen! which is totally worth it. construction is pretty good too, with a decent viewfinder, rubberised finish and a little rotating aperture selection around the lens (only from f/8 to f/11 plus a flash setting, mind).

i recommend www.fourcornerstore.com for superheadz stuff (they carry pretty much anything toy camera that isn't lomography). it's $50 here:

http://www.fourcornerstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/golden-half-green-trees-edition

tino

Banned
345triangle said:
yeah i'd love to get my hands on one of those, i just like that the natura classica is sold in most camera stores here. there's a 3000 unit limited edition white one that i'd like to get, but i kind of prefer the black design so i'm not sure.

the golden half is like 4000 yen! which is totally worth it. construction is pretty good too, with a decent viewfinder, rubberised finish and a little rotating aperture selection around the lens (only from f/8 to f/11 plus a flash setting, mind).

i recommend www.fourcornerstore.com for superheadz stuff (they carry pretty much anything toy camera that isn't lomography). it's $50 here:

http://www.fourcornerstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/golden-half-green-trees-edition

In your opinion, how weather proof is this thing?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
dantehemi said:
Would you take this over a canon t2i or t3i? I ask cause at the end of this month I am receiving some money's that will towards my first camera ever!!!

Basically what Jayayess said. With Canon you're buying into their fantastic lens system but with the NEX you've only really got the Kit zoom lens, a 16mm prime and a super zoom (currently).

With that said a NEX with its kit zoom is still smaller than a T2i or T3i with their kits and you've got all the functions those cameras have. The 5N also takes a latch on viewfinder if you find you want to use one (which is very better than the Rebels small, dark viewfinders). So if size is really a big factor I'd choose NEX over the Rebels.

If you can live with the Kit lens for a year you'll be seeing even more lenses for the NEX next year. They've already talked about a 50/1.8 that's being released in December.

In regards to IQ, both the Canon Rebels and NEX will be more than adequate.

Flo_Evans

345triangle said:
i guess we're after different things from our cameras, then. i don't consider film/development costs a barrier - they're a downside, but it's just the way it is considering 35mm is better than the sensor in any digital compact (obviously with the LC-A "quality" is a subjective term, but you know what i mean). for me, the most important things in a camera is the scope for creativity and the experience of actually using the thing. digital compacts tend to fall short in both of these - except the fuji x100, i guess, which is why i'm a little disappointed with the x50/x10. if it's not going to give me different results to something i already own, it had better at least be fun to use.
Well if you really think you want one I would get a used actuall Russian one vs the complete ripoff made in china one currently available.

Or you could try and find a used minox el that has the same lens as the LCA but never got the hype of the lomo and can be bought dirt cheap.

Or you could get the superior Japanese camera the russians stole the design from... http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Cosina_CX-2

yeah, i don't want to defend lomography's business practices, because you're quite right that their stuff is overpriced - companies like superheadz offer much better value for more interesting products most of the time (compare the golden half above to the diana mini, for example). at the same time, it's nice that i can buy a new LC-A+ from a shop, because whether these things are russian or chinese they're not exactly the kind of thing you'd necessarily trust someone to keep in perfect working order. plus i like the LC-A+ version because of the multiple exposure feature, which is a big deal to me, along with accessory compatibility and metering up to 1600.

dantehemi said:

i definitely would take the NEX-5n over an entry-level DSLR, yeah, especially as a first camera.

tino said:
In your opinion, how weather proof is this thing?

that's a good question that i'm not really sure about. what kind of weather are you thinking? i mean, it's clearly not properly weather-sealed (it might not even be fully light sealed for all i know) but it's a fixed-lens film camera with absolutely zero electronics inside it, so obviously you don't need to worry much about dust or sand getting on the sensor or light exposure to water. i wouldn't worry much about using it in the rain or anything like that - your hands can pretty much cover the whole thing anyway.

Mistle

I think the t2i/t3i isn't getting the credit it deserves. It's a fantastic camera for its price and target audience. I'd get one over a NEX-5n, also (as cool/fun as they look).

Of course we're all just giving our opinions here and we can't quite craft any proper advice for which camera to purchase, as we know absolutely nothing about dantehemi's needs/wants. The NEX could be absolutely perfect for him, but considering he started off intending to buy a DSLR, perhaps he's planning to take on photography in a more "serious" (for lack of a better word- not implying you can't be serious with the NEX) manner.

tino

Banned
345triangle said:
that's a good question that i'm not really sure about. what kind of weather are you thinking? i mean, it's clearly not properly weather-sealed (it might not even be fully light sealed for all i know) but it's a fixed-lens film camera with absolutely zero electronics inside it, so obviously you don't need to worry much about dust or sand getting on the sensor or light exposure to water. i wouldn't worry much about using it in the rain or anything like that - your hands can pretty much cover the whole thing anyway.

OK what I wanted to know was, if I bring the camera to the beach and just fool around, maybe even get the film a little bit wet inside, will I have problem developing it? I know its a dumb box with a plastic lens in the front.

The only good looking version is the one you brought.

Instigator said:
I wouldn't.

But who knows what the guy wants.

If a person wants to "Learn" about photography; is very ambitious; or major in any graphic/art program, he should go with C/N.

If a person wants to get a "nice" camera; is not planning to invest in significant amount after the initial purchase, I recommend the NEX.

But only the black version.

If you are not sure, but you are young enough, I suggest you spend only half of your budget and get a cheaper version, like a refub NEX-3. Whatever you buy you are going to second guess yourself anyway, may as well save some money.

Forsete

NEX7 body only and with the 18-55mm is up for preorder on Sonystyle. The swedish price is 12000 (with lens), which is about 1880USD. No surprise we get raped again. :)
I would buy it in a heartbeat if we got the US price.

Waiting to see what the price will be for the dutch retailers. I saved a fortune buying the A900 from there.

golem

tino said:
If a person wants to "Learn" about photography; is very ambitious; or major in any graphic/art program, he should go with C/N.

If a person wants to get a "nice" camera; is not planning to invest in significant amount after the initial purchase, I recommend the NEX.
I have to agree with this. All my friends who got NEX's and Micro 4/3s for their first 'serious' cameras have for the most part have stuck with automatic modes and don't really seem willing to break out of their comfort zone. Maybe it's psychological but those with DSLRs seem much more willing to experiment with the other functions of the camera to achieve the results they want.

I say if you're not sure get a used DSLR. It will be much more flexible and you won't grow out of it anytime soon, better to go for too much than too little imo.

tino said:

But only the black version.

If you are not sure, but you are young enough, I suggest you spend only half of your budget and get a cheaper version, like a refub NEX-3. Whatever you buy you are going to second guess yourself anyway, may as well save some money.

The option of enthusiast compacts like the LX5, G12 or XZ1 should still be there. They're the 'whole package' in a small format, simple enough to be used by anyone yet with still plenty of room to grow and learn about photography.

Most of those mirrorless cameras are not as compact. It's certainly the case with any NEX body coupled with the 18-55 kit lens and many of those first-time buyers may not realize it yet.

I'd also argue an interchangeable lens camera stuck with the same lens the whole time is a complete waste. If you still want DSLR IQ but you're not going to change lenses, consider the Fuji X100 (or the other one coming with an integrated zoom), relatively small, great IQ and you'll get the optical/electronic viewfinder experience as a bonus which you don't get with a NEX.

Flo_Evans

I say DSLR, just because your lens selection will be 10x what you can get for the new mirrorless systems.

Plus most of your lenses will graduate with you to the next body, who knows how long the mirrorless mounts will stick around.

Forsete

I would also suggest DSLR. More lenses to choose from but best of all, bigger second hand market for lenses.

If photography sticks with you, you can get a mirrorless in the future, because they are a nice complement to a DSLR. Easier to take with you and gives the same image quality.

who knows how long the mirrorless mounts will stick around.

It is a growing market (already its something like 20% in Europe, perhaps even bigger in Japan and Asia). And it will explode when Canon and Nikon joins I think.

A funny note on this (since Sony just announced them), the new NEX camera seems to have more preorders than the new Alpha on Amazon. :p But maybe its because there are a lot of mirrorless users out there who wanted something more advanced, rather than people switching.

BlueTsunami

Looking for a size comparison between the two I found this cool site

Sony NEX-5N vs. Canon T3i: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Sony-NEX-5N

My suggestion to get a 5N is probably coming from a personal space since the lack of lenses can be a deal breaker. But the smaller and lighter the camera means the more places I'll take it without thinking twice. As far as width its not a dramatic difference between the two but the NEX is much smaller in regards to depth and height. The kit lens thats about the same size as Canons kit lens sort of robs this advantage but the thinness of the NEX makes up for that.

tokkun

BlueTsunami said:
Looking for a size comparison between the two I found this cool site

Sony NEX-5N vs. Canon T3i: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Sony-NEX-5N

My suggestion to get a 5N is probably coming from a personal space since the lack of lenses can be a deal breaker. But the smaller and lighter the camera means the more places I'll take it without thinking twice. As far as width its not a dramatic difference between the two but the NEX is much smaller in regards to depth and height. The kit lens thats about the same size as Canons kit lens sort of robs this advantage but the thinness of the NEX makes up for that.

There is sort of a compromise option: Sony a35

Not as small and light as mirrorless but still very noticeably smaller than the T3i. Has full range of available lenses in A-Mount.

Zyzyxxz

tokkun said:
There is sort of a compromise option: Sony a35

Not as small and light as mirrorless but still very noticeably smaller than the T3i. Has full range of available lenses in A-Mount.

Do they autofocus with the old Minolta lenses? Or am I thinking Pentax.

tokkun

Zyzyxxz said:
Do they autofocus with the old Minolta lenses? Or am I thinking Pentax.

Yeah, they're fully compatible with Minolta lenses. My macro lens is from the 80's and AF works fine.

ColR100

So how do you get the Minolta lens' focusing on the Sony NEX cameras?

Guessing these Minolta need to be A-Mount lens, right? And then accompanied by the Sony LA-EA1 Mount Adapter. Link below.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sony-la-ea1-mount-adapter/p1520702

Is this all correct, or can I actually buy much older Minolta lens' and use some non-brand adapter and achieve AF?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm on the verge of picking up a NEX-5.

Great little page here.

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/lenses.php?ov=1

tokkun

No, it's not that simple.

Because the NEX cameras do not have in-body focus motors, that adapter only lets them autofocus with A-Mount lenses that have built-in motors. That's the Sony SAM and SSM lenses, but not the older Minoltas.

They recently announced a new adapter, LA-EA2. It has a built-in AF motor in addition to a Phase-detect AF system, so it should allow you to mount legacy Minolta lenses with AF.

Mistle

Where can I buy a nice, comfy and cheap neck strap for my dslr (online)? The one that came with my 600d is a bit rough on my neck, and I look like a walking advertisement with the big "canon" tag :p

golem said:
I have to agree with this. All my friends who got NEX's and Micro 4/3s for their first 'serious' cameras have for the most part have stuck with automatic modes and don't really seem willing to break out of their comfort zone. Maybe it's psychological but those with DSLRs seem much more willing to experiment with the other functions of the camera to achieve the results they want.

i got my NEX the day it was released last year as my first "serious" digital camera, and found it a great way to learn. i've bought an a55 since then, but that's mostly for flexibility and handling reasons, and my NEX still gets equal use in different situations - i'm really glad i have both. i think if you put in the time to know what's in the menus of a NEX or GF2 or whatever, you'll be more inclined to dive into them - all those buttons on a DSLR make it obvious.

to be honest, though, the real advantage of this sort of camera for a beginner is that you can just whack it in program mode and get vastly superior photos to any compact without really thinking too much about it, but with space to grow if you want to.

tino said:
OK what I wanted to know was, if I bring the camera to the beach and just fool around, maybe even get the film a little bit wet inside, will I have problem developing it? I know its a dumb box with a plastic lens in the front.

The only good looking version is the one you brought.

there's a hello kitty version that's not pictured there and i was tempted, but it was like 800 yen more. otherwise i agree mine is the nicest!

anyway, i've never had problems taking toy cameras to the beach before.

tumblr_lpgk2tlUWe1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

i got pretty wet after taking this picture with my vivitar ultra wide & slim (if you don't know what that is, it is pretty much a disposable camera with a 22mm lens that isn't actually disposable and i got it free with a magazine), but no problems developing the film. i don't think there's much to worry about - i never take anything other than cheap film cameras to the beach.

HcIwt.jpg

also i finally bought a fuji natura classica today because i found the black version on sale for only 26000 yen, which is the cheapest i've ever seen it anywhere - interested to see what it can do.

tino

Banned
Congratulation on the new camera. Its probably the raising yen weakens the demand. What battery does it take.

One more q about the superheeadz, does it have a lanyard hole?

yeah, it's the little sticky-out metal bit on the top left corner.

natura classica takes CR2s. i don't know about the raising yen - the white version was on sale for 33000 yen, and it's a limited edition of 3000 units, but it was released last spring and i've never seen a camera shop in osaka not carry it! i think having a super limited edition model constantly on sale kind of diminishes the value of the "normal" one. i prefer the black version anyway, the appeal of the white version was mostly just the limited thing and also that it has a cat on the box instead of a dog.

i played with the pentax Q today and kind of liked it! build quality is really nice, it's TINY and it felt pretty responsive in terms of speed etc. i was using the "standard prime 8mm f/1.9", and i have no idea what that is in real terms but it actually seemed to be producing some pretty nice results as far as depth of field etc goes (on the LCD at least). i wouldn't buy this thing and am still not entirely sure why you need an interchangeable lens system for a sensor that size, but i think it'll do quite well.

BlueTsunami

NEX-5N review with Steve Huff

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...tal-camera-review-a-monster-full-of-features/

Looks to be an extremely good camera for the price. I'm even reading reports of better Dynamic Range than the Nikon D7000 which is markedly better than bodies in its class (a $1,100 APS-C camera).

The actual camera is exciting but I'm way more excited for the great EVF Sony has developed. More and more people who have used it are really happy with it, the only real complaint being too high a contrast with the screen (hopefully this can be manipulated in camera with the NEX-7). Other than that, 100% view, high magnification and lacks the worse aspect most EVFs are known for, image lag.

Another great aspect of an EVF (and the ability of the NEX-5Ns great low light capability) is the brightening in the viewfinder in dark environments when it comes to manual focusing. There's a point when it gets so dark that even manual focusing is useless but the brightening of the EVF would make even the real dark conditions possible for MF shooting.

tino

Banned
I had to work OT today. So I spent the whole day at work reading up on the Fujifilm X10 and then the NEX-5n. Ultimately I decided to take a pass on the 5n. The EVF is just ridiculously large. It's like holding a Hasselblad except its a toy Hasselblad.

As for the Fujifilm X10, I realized the overall package is better than the sum of its parts. Look at the details, you have precise manual zoom; fast start-up time; huge 2/3" sensor that hasn't be available to a P&S in a long while (maybe since the Panasonic LC-1? I don't remember); a relatively "low" mp count, high dynamic range with Fuji's usual pixel blending tech; and last and most important of all, in a black and god damn retro body.

However, if I buy it this year, I am really paying for its retro look and the enthusiasts control layout. If all I want its the sensor, I can get an older Fuji model with a similar sensor in a consumer oriented package. And I can save enough money to pickup a NEX-3 or NEX-5 this year too. That way my wife can use the P&S and I can play with the NEX in our upcoming Vegas trip.

So I went on ebay and picked up a refub F200exr for $100. I am going to get a NEX-3 body for under $300 or a NEX-5 for slightly above 300. I am not planning to bother with any of the NEX lens. They are so ugly no matter how I look at them.

got my fuji natura classica test roll (natura 1600 film) developed today; i'll post some shots in here, because i already talked about the camera and i sort of took these to see how it'd perform rather than trying to create amazing art. here they are, straight off the CD from the 1 hour photo lab:

NxMM1.jpg

LRCAd.jpg

YQlWw.jpg

cnleQ.jpg

elYsB.jpg

cwV6q.jpg

Pnp9g.jpg

r7G1G.jpg

Qb7jw.jpg

trfPj.jpg

i'm...pretty blown away. these are all available light shots in super dark situations, taken with what is basically a tiny point and shoot camera. most of the shots show more detail and contrast than my eyes do! seriously, the third one down especially impresses me; that was a DARK tunnel, and the ones in the rain are pretty crazy too. this won't replace my NEX completely, but i think it might come close a lot of the time...

the one fault i have with it is that the autofocus system takes quite a lot of getting used to - it's fast, but there's only one point in the centre and it's difficult to know what you're focusing on unless you use the not-particularly-great viewfinder. shooting from the hip isn't going to be easy with this, and of course it's not like you can just review your shots on an LCD screen...and you need to be accurate at 2.8 on 35mm. i'm sure i'll get used to it the more i use it, though.

tino

Banned
Very fine grain for 1600. That sure look alot better scanning than what I can get out of my local Walgreen.

You probably can shoot from the hip. Film has enough latitute for you to make mistake. My favorite shot is the one with two people.

golem said:

I say if you're not sure get a used DSLR. It will be much more flexible and you won't grow out of it anytime soon, better to go for too much than too little imo.
I have witnessed the exact opposite. You can mount almost any manual focus lens ever made on a NEX or micro 4/3 camera and theres been a boom in sales on EBay. 90% of DSLR users I see still have the kit lens or a 10x zoom with flash popped up while they shoot a picture of their kid 20 yards away.

Flo_Evans

reggieandTFE said:
I have witnessed the exact opposite. You can mount almost any manual focus lens ever made on a NEX or micro 4/3 camera and theres been a boom in sales on EBay. 90% of DSLR users I see still have the kit lens or a 10x zoom with flash popped up while they shoot a picture of their kid 20 yards away.
Huh? I went to the zoo yesterday. Nice weather + labour day = millions of people and cameras. I saw tons of DSLRs with all sorts of lenses mounted, ranging from entry level with kit lenses all the way to FF bodies with exotic 300mm primes. Not a single NEX, much less one with a Leica lens mounted :p

golem

reggieandTFE said:
I've never seen a NEX with anything but a Sony lens on it, although I've only seen maybe 3 outside of the ones my friends have.

345triangle said:
got my fuji natura classica test roll (natura 1600 film) developed today; i'll post some shots in here, because i already talked about the camera and i sort of took these to see how it'd perform rather than trying to create amazing art.

Wow, I absolutely love the look of these photos. It makes it so tempting to pick up a Natura... even if the price seems sort of crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom