• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Rumor was that the Nikon EVIL will have auto focus elements built into the sensor.

Picked up a NEX-3 for cheap btw.

I just got a Canon Rebel T3 for my birthday Saturday, and I currently do not have a camera bag. My mom's friend offered to buy me one as a birthday present, and I have no idea where to start looking or what to get. So I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions, whether it be on sites or bags themselves. My limit is 200 dollars. Please help.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Chef Cat said:
I just got a Canon Rebel T3 for my birthday Saturday, and I currently do not have a camera bag. My mom's friend offered to buy me one as a birthday present, and I have no idea where to start looking or what to get. So I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions, whether it be on sites or bags themselves. My limit is 200 dollars. Please help.

I just got a standard Rebel bag with my first camera for free. Seems to work well still. It holds my camera, 2 lenses, 580EXII, light meter, 2 Pocket Wizards, batteries/memory cards/sync cord/plastic bags/model releases. I don't think they cost too much.

I want to buy one of these eventually to replace the glamorous cardboard box I use for my lighting equipment :p

http://www.sondersphotography.com/blog/2009/05/01/review-pelican-1650-case-my-strobe-lighting-case/

Zyzyxxz

Flo_Evans said:
^ I have one of those pelican cases. They are freaking awesome.

Hm I didn't know they made cases for cameras, though I suppose you would want to protect expensive camera gear as much as expensive guns.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Zyzyxxz said:
Hm I didn't know they made cases for cameras, though I suppose you would want to protect expensive camera gear as much as expensive guns.

I don't think it was particularly made for strobes/cameras/whatever. Looks like a standard case that the guy put some padded inserts in.

Flo_Evans

Yeah they make one specific for cameras:

41V5tw%2BkK6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019CSVMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is perfect carry on size, and even has rolling wheels and a extendable handle for travel!

Echoes

Not a typical question I guess (for this camera) but I hope I could get some answers. I have Fujifilm's Instax Wide 210:

000094ez

It has two flash modes: Auto and On. I can't disable flash, which makes it very hard to do good self-portraits as the flash always reflects on my face in an ugly manner. Is there any workaround to this issue? No matter how good the lighting is, it always flashes indoor. Which sort of sucks.

tino

Banned
Use white paper or tissue paper wrap around the flash, loosely. How many layer of the tissue depend on how much you want to soften the flash power. Or you can buy gizmo on ebay that basically does the same thing.

Zyzyxxz

Nikon's mirror less will supposedly have an adapter to use F-mount and autofocus as well. Now what remains to be seen if these two new bodies will have worthy sensors despite the rumored sizes.

tokkun

Zyzyxxz said:
Nikon's mirror less will supposedly have an adapter to use F-mount and autofocus as well. Now what remains to be seen if these two new bodies will have worthy sensors despite the rumored sizes.

How big and expensive for the adapter, though? The cost and size of the Sony adapter are not impressing me.

Zyzyxxz

tokkun said:
How big and expensive for the adapter, though? The cost and size of the Sony adapter are not impressing me.

no solid details yet, heres hoping that AF is not slow like the original A-mount NEX adapter

Flo_Evans

I could see myself buying nikons mirrorless if it comes in under $500 with the f-mount adapter.

I don't think that's gonna happen though...

sarcastor

taku said:
At the moment, I am looking at these two:

Canon EF 70-200/2,8 L USM
Canon EF 24-70/2,8 L USM

Questions:
Will the L-series benefit me even though I've only got a Canon 60D?
Are these lenses a good call or should I go with a different choice?
So uh, since 60D doesn't have a full frame sensor that would mean that the 24mm would equal 38mm right.. will that be okay for wider shots, landscapes and inside usage?

70-200 is way too much for a crop frame. unless you're shooting animals at a zoo. Consider getting the 24-105mm f/4 for about $8-900 used. the 24-70 is also a great lens but seriously overpriced at $1,400 new. You can get a comparable tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for $300-350 used vs $1,000 used for the Canon.

Get the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or canon 17-40mm f/4 if you want an affordable wide angle lens. or consider the canon 28mm f/1.8 or sigma 30mm f/1.4

tokkun

Flo_Evans said:
I could see myself buying nikons mirrorless if it comes in under $500 with the f-mount adapter.

I don't think that's gonna happen though...

The most recent rumor I saw - not sure of source, but probably bloomberg or wsj since it was about Nikon stock price - said something like $900-1200 for mirrorless. One assumes that would be with kit lens but without adapter.

Flo_Evans

tokkun said:
The most recent rumor I saw - not sure of source, but probably bloomberg or wsj since it was about Nikon stock price - said something like $900-1200 for mirrorless. One assumes that would be with kit lens but without adapter.

Woah they are nuts! Who the hell would buy one of these if they price it the same as the D7000?

Vampires I guess (they hate mirrors) :p

Seems like Nikon are sending it to die if they release it at that price. I wonder if some handshaking is going on with sony and nikon... It seems like nikon's mirrorless is designed to fail against the NEX.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Flo_Evans said:
Seems like Nikon are sending it to die if they release it at that price. I wonder if some handshaking is going on with sony and nikon... It seems like nikon's mirrorless is designed to fail against the NEX.

Seems like they're banking on enthusiasts wanting smaller than m4/3rd bodies. I'm also unsure of this business plan.

tino

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
It may have a good sensor but 2.7x will make most F mount lenses useless. You can shoot birds maybe.

tokkun

Flo_Evans said:
Woah they are nuts! Who the hell would buy one of these if they price it the same as the D7000?

Well, NEX-7 is what, $1350 with kit. About the same price as A77 body.

Maybe Nikon will launch a 'high-end' mirrorless first and some cheaper version alongside or a little later. Honestly I really have no idea what market they are targeting with that small sensor.

Zyzyxxz

Anybody have recommendation for camera bags similar to the Domke F6?

I see one on craigslist that I want to buy for $80 but just thought if there are other bags I should consider for the same price?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Flo_Evans said:
If the size is compact enough, and the image quality is good enough, I'd consider buying one.

It would be either that or a Fuji X100

Zyzyxxz

Rentahamster said:
If the size is compact enough, and the image quality is good enough, I'd consider buying one.

It would be either that or a Fuji X100

If Fuji release an interchangeable version of X100 I'm game.

tino

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
If Fuji release an interchangeable version of X100 I'm game.

It would be pretty expensive though. I am guessing it will price at the X100/NEX7 level.

As for Nikon EVIL, they aren't even metal body? I can see the kit price drop to 4/3 kit price after a while. Basically this is the price point Nikon was selling the 5700 for before they discontinued it.

Flo_Evans said:
Just remember to enable manual movie mode (if he hasn't already) and that you cannot change the aperture in live view mode (unless you snap a pic) for some unknown Nikon reason.

Thanks man. Sucks you can't change aperture. wtf man

Flo_Evans

the_log_ride said:
Thanks man. Sucks you can't change aperture. wtf man
I think it has to do with the way Nikon's aperture thingy works. Its a very old mechanical design for compatibility with all of their lenses.

If you have an older lens with an aperture ring you can still use that (I think, haven't fully tested this, I am usually shooting movies wide open anyway...) and you can snap a pic to reset the aperture and change it.

Edit: no manually adjusting the aperture ring does not work, it stays the same and throws an error code at you if it is not locked at minimum aperture!

Another quirk: Aperture dial does nothing during live view in M mode, you have to flip it to A mode, change aperture, take a still image, then flip back to M mode so your shutter speed doesn't vary...

What I do that is somewhat easier, and doesn't result in "throwaway" pics to adjust the aperture: is turn live view off, adjust aperture, check DOF with preview button, back into live view.

Nikon clearly still doesn't get (or care about) DSLR video users. The D7000 is their best effort so far, but that is not saying much.

If you want to do serious video work on your DSLR Canon is still the only choice. Maybe because they make video cameras too, but they seem way ahead of Nikon here. Sony may be another option but I don't have much experience with those.

tokkun

Flo_Evans said:
If you want to do serious video work on your DSLR Canon is still the only choice. Maybe because they make video cameras too, but they seem way ahead of Nikon here. Sony may be another option but I don't have much experience with those.

Previously the best was Panasonic by a country mile.

With the new Sony models offering manual controls in video and reducing the sensor overheating problems, it's probably between Sony and Panasonic for the best video implementation. Sony's DSLTs can do live view PDAF which is useful for avoiding focus hunting in video and some testers are claiming the new models reduce rolling shutter. Panasonic has touch screen focusing and one of the best video CDAF systems.

Another huge difference is the use of EVF, which is much better for video than OVF. With OVF cameras you either need to be shooting from a tripod or holding the camera out awkwardly to see the LCD which makes it much harder to frame shots and keep camera shake low.

Despite advantages in sensor size (vs Panasonic) and light gathering (vs Sony), I don't think Canikon is really in the same league when it comes to video. SLT and Mirrorless are currently better technologies for video than SLR.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've read the Firmware hack for the GH2? Actually gives the absolute best IQ with their 44mb/s bitrate. I would love Sony to implement higher bitrates in the NEX but I'm not sure if that would jive with the codec their using or something. I've seen examples with the 5N and GH2 and the GH2's higher bitrate is very noticeable.

Will probably exchange my Canon 15-85 USM for a 24-105 L. The guy never heard about 15-85, though it was 17, or 18-85. I guess it's not in his catalogue, so he was offering me a good bargain value.

taku

sarcastor said:
70-200 is way too much for a crop frame. unless you're shooting animals at a zoo. Consider getting the 24-105mm f/4 for about $8-900 used. the 24-70 is also a great lens but seriously overpriced at $1,400 new. You can get a comparable tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for $300-350 used vs $1,000 used for the Canon.

Get the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or canon 17-40mm f/4 if you want an affordable wide angle lens. or consider the canon 28mm f/1.8 or sigma 30mm f/1.4
Damn it! This is making me even more confused..
(I don't want any third-party lenses since I can buy Canon-lenses for cheap though)

17-40 f/4
28 f/1.8
24-70 f/2.8
24-105 f/4
70-200 f/2.8

???

My head is spinning.. I guess I could try visiting a store and ask nicely if I could try all of 'em :/

Radec

taku said:
Damn it! This is making me even more confused..
(I don't want any third-party lenses since I can buy Canon-lenses for cheap though)

17-40 f/4
28 f/1.8
24-70 f/2.8
24-105 f/4
70-200 f/2.8

???

My head is spinning.. I guess I could try visiting a store and ask nicely if I could try all of 'em :/

Rent bro. Rent.

Rent the 24-70, 70-200, and 85mm f/1.2 for a week.

Then you'll know what to get.

taku

Radec said:
Rent bro. Rent.

Rent the 24-70, 70-200, and 85mm f/1.2 for a week.

Then you'll know what to get.
Well I would.. but here in Sweden, renting one of these lenses for ONE day costs about $75.
So yeah, $75 (rent/day) x 3 (lenses) x 7 (week) = $1575

I think I'll just try them in a store if they let me ;D

golem said:
Get the 24-70, its a great all around lens.
Another vouch for the 24-70, eh? Excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom