• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jugendstil said:
Wow, I absolutely love the look of these photos. It makes it so tempting to pick up a Natura... even if the price seems sort of crazy.

i guess it's not so cheap, though on the other hand i don't think you're going to find better photos from another $3-400 camera! i'm a happy customer, that's for sure.

tino said:
Very fine grain for 1600. That sure look alot better scanning than what I can get out of my local Walgreen.

You probably can shoot from the hip. Film has enough latitute for you to make mistake. My favorite shot is the one with two people.

yeah, it's more just that i'm used to "shooting from the hip" either with digital cameras using tiltable screens, or film cameras fixed at like f/11 which really don't give you much room to make mistake. i'll just have to learn where the lens is going to focus in a given situation/body position if i want to shoot the same way.

golem said:
I've never seen a NEX with anything but a Sony lens on it, although I've only seen maybe 3 outside of the ones my friends have.

in japan i see a ton of NEX users with various lenses attached. i'm sure the majority use sony, but even then it's mostly sold in a double lens kit, and camera stores often have the lens adapters displayed right next to the cameras.

obviously wide MF glass support is going to be a niche feature on cameras as consumer-focused as the NEX range, but i don't think there's anything to suggest people will buy the cameras and use them less extensively than they would a DSLR - i agree with reggieandTFE that the majority of DSLR owners probably also just stick to the kit lens. knowing that they're good cameras and wanting to buy one is one thing, spending money on extra lenses is another.

So I got a film camera! A friend of mine had it sitting around for ages, and gave it to me for free. It's a Minolta X700 with 50/1.7 and 28/2.8 lenses. Anyone used one of these?

Zyzyxxz

chaostrophy said:
So I got a film camera! A friend of mine had it sitting around for ages, and gave it to me for free. It's a Minolta X700 with 50/1.7 and 28/2.8 lenses. Anyone used one of these?

I've used the Minolta 50/1.7 on a NEX-3 and thought it was nice to use but I didn't upload any of the photos to a computer to see it at 100% so can't say for sure how sharp it is.

tino

Banned
chaostrophy said:

Run a roll through it to make sure exposure metering is correct and the shutter is not sticky. You can compare the exposure of it and your digital camera.

Valkyr Junkie said:
It could be worse. My brother-in-law just sold an older Tamron lens of his to a girl that had just bought a 5DMII :/

Huh? Whats wrong with it?

Clott

Is the 5DMII still the best digital camera to film with on the market? Ofcourse barring the red one cameras. I have been waiting for the MIII to shoot some scenes for a project but I think I may have to buy a MII in the meantime, and yes this project makes it so I don't have 3 more months to wait for more MIII rumors.

VNZ

Clott said:
Is the 5DMII still the best digital camera to film with on the market? Ofcourse barring the red one cameras. I have been waiting for the MIII to shoot some scenes for a project but I think I may have to buy a MII in the meantime, and yes this project makes it so I don't have 3 more months to wait for more MIII rumors.
"The Great Camera Shootout 2011" is a pretty interesting test using both several über high end cameras and some budget alternatives including Canons and Panasonics.

http://vimeo.com/24334733
http://vimeo.com/26772177

Pretty interesting to watch. The biggest problem with DSLRs so far is the extensive moire and stair-stepping effects caused by the lack of any decent downsampling from the high resolution sensors on these cameras. I'm really curious if the next batch of Canons addresses this, and how the new Sony cameras (A77 and NEX-7) perform video capture.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
chaostrophy said:
yea, this was my first SLR. Still have it sitting on my fireplace mantle.

Canon Hanging on to Mirrors Means Opportunity for Sony, Panasonic Cameras

Canon and Nikon, which began making SLRs in the late 1950s, are starting to lose their edge in Japan, home to the world’s five largest makers of SLRs. Mirrorless cameras accounted for 40.5 percent of SLR sales in the country in July, surging from 5 percent in early 2009, according to BCN.

Globally, sales of mirrorless cameras surged fivefold to 2.1 million units in 2010, and their share of the overall SLR market may climb to 23 percent in 2011 from 16 percent, according to Macquarie Group Ltd. estimates last month.

Sony, Japan’s largest exporter of consumer electronics, said last month industry shipments will probably reach 13 million worldwide in three years. The NEX series introduced last year helped Sony’s share in the worldwide SLR market rise to about 15 percent in the year ended March 31 from 10 percent a year earlier, said Hirofumi Otsuru, a Tokyo-based spokesman.

rkn

^ Any reasons why Canon or Nikon didn't jump into this market the first chance they got? It starting to resemble another case of disruption, with the dinosaurs of the industry not paying attention until it's too late. Not to say it's too late, but mirrorless cameras will be a few generations deep by the time Canon releases it's first.

tino

Banned
rkn said:
^ Any reasons why Canon or Nikon didn't jump into this market the first chance they got? It starting to resemble another case of disruption, with the dinosaurs of the industry not paying attention until it's too late. Not to say it's too late, but mirrorless cameras will be a few generations deep by the time Canon releases it's first.

They are jumping in now. Nikon in two weeks.

Besides Sony, I doubt C/N worry about the other brands swapping marketshare position in the bottom.

golem

rkn said:
Conservative companies being conservative companies...

We'll see how strong their entries are. Nikon seems to be leaning towards the P&S side with their sensor size.

Zyzyxxz

tino said:
They are jumping in now. Nikon in two weeks.

Besides Sony, I doubt C/N worry about the other brands swapping marketshare position in the bottom.

Nikon's mirrorless option looks like suckage so far. I'll reserve final judgement later but I am not expecting much.

While Panasonic is working on their GH7 pro mirrorless and Sony is releasing the NEX-7. Nikon and Canon are mulling about saying BS like "we'll watch the market".

I'm amazed at how fast the mirrorless market has grown and I'm ready to jump ship to M4/3rds and dump my D90 in a few months depending on what bodies are coming out.

tokkun

rkn said:

Their biggest asset in maintaining their marketshare is their huge catalog of lenses and the expense customers face when switching to a different system when they're already heavily invested in equipment.

They don't want mirrorless to take off, because - barring some way of getting full compatibility with their legacy lenses that doesn't result in a huge body or bulky adapter - they would have to start on the same footing as their competitors. That hasn't worked well for them in the past. If you take a look at the P&S market, Sony is the marketshare leader rather than running a distant 3rd.

I think the problem is that when it comes down to body design, it is Sony and Panasonic that are putting out the innovative designs in the past few years. I'm not convinced that Canon or Nikon can put out something that will be more attractive without relying on their legacy lens libraries.

Now, lenses aside, what is the biggest technical advantage C/N have? I would probably say the predictive AF systems. However, there is another problem here: those algorithms are based on phase-detect AF, but so far mirrorless cameras use contrast-detect (Sony requires a huge, expensive adapter to allow PDAF on NEX). Another advantage would be their high quality OVFs, which will also be no go on mirrorless cameras.

So, to sum it up, moving to mirrorless requires them to sacrifice most of their important advantages. They still get to keep their brand recognition/loyalty and compatibility with accessories like external flashes, but it's a weaker position than they have in traditional DSLR.

tino

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Nikon's mirrorless option looks like suckage so far. I'll reserve final judgement later but I am not expecting much.

While Panasonic is working on their GH7 pro mirrorless and Sony is releasing the NEX-7. Nikon and Canon are mulling about saying BS like "we'll watch the market".

I'm amazed at how fast the mirrorless market has grown and I'm ready to jump ship to M4/3rds and dump my D90 in a few months depending on what bodies are coming out.
Since any sensor is better than Panasonic made sensors. The C/N 2.5X performance probably will be on par with the 4/3s.

Zyzyxxz

tino said:
Since any sensor is better than Panasonic made sensors. The C/N 2.5X performance probably will be on par with the 4/3s.

I'm curious to see samples of this Nikon 2.5 crop sensor though, so far its going to be revealed very soon yet there have been no leaks other than the image of what the sensor and mount looks like.

golem

My guess is that everything will be pushed to the middle, so Canon and Nikon really have to step up with mirrorless. Compact P&S sales are being eroded by smartphones and the convenience of mirrorless will convince most entry level DSLR buyers to opt for it instead. DSLR might only make sense for high end shooters sooner rather than later.

rkn

tokkun said:
Their biggest asset in maintaining their marketshare is their huge catalog of lenses and the expense customers face when switching to a different system when they're already heavily invested in equipment.

They don't want mirrorless to take off, because - barring some way of getting full compatibility with their legacy lenses that doesn't result in a huge body or bulky adapter - they would have to start on the same footing as their competitors. That hasn't worked well for them in the past. If you take a look at the P&S market, Sony is the marketshare leader rather than running a distant 3rd.

I think the problem is that when it comes down to body design, it is Sony and Panasonic that are putting out the innovative designs in the past few years. I'm not convinced that Canon or Nikon can put out something that will be more attractive without relying on their legacy lens libraries.

Now, lenses aside, what is the biggest technical advantage C/N have? I would probably say the predictive AF systems. However, there is another problem here: those algorithms are based on phase-detect AF, but so far mirrorless cameras use contrast-detect (Sony requires a huge, expensive adapter to allow PDAF on NEX). Another advantage would be their high quality OVFs, which will also be no go on mirrorless cameras.

So, to sum it up, moving to mirrorless requires them to sacrifice most of their important advantages. They still get to keep their brand recognition/loyalty and compatibility with accessories like external flashes, but it's a weaker position than they have in traditional DSLR.
While I'm already invested on the Canon side (quite heavily ha), I've really been considering one of these mirrorless bodies as a walkaround, I've been holding out for Canon obviously, but seems like a long wait for a ship that don't come.

If I were in the starter market, I'd definitely pick up one of these over say something from the Rebel line.

cbox

I probably won't buy a mirrorless camera (unless they're on sale), I've just learned to take my 7d around with me everywhere now :/

tokkun said:

i wouldn't be surprised if the pentax Q did well in japan, considering the huge push it seems to be getting anywhere, and so i also wouldn't be surprised if a similar nikon-branded system became the obvious choice for a lot of people...i agree on paper that they shouldn't really have much of a technical advantage, but i think the brand is a really really strong one.

tino

Banned
345triangle said:
i wouldn't be surprised if the pentax Q did well in japan, considering the huge push it seems to be getting anywhere, and so i also wouldn't be surprised if a similar nikon-branded system became the obvious choice for a lot of people...i agree on paper that they shouldn't really have much of a technical advantage, but i think the brand is a really really strong one.
Pentax Q is the most cynical product design I have ever seen since Hummer H2. Its pure poser garbage. I wouldn't be surpriced to see if the camera doesn't sell at all outside of Japan.

golem

Panasonic and Olympus have Micro Four Thirds, Sony has NEX, and Samsung has its NX. Nikon and Canon though, have yet to embrace mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras, at all. And while Canon has teased a 2012 release, Nikon appears poised to launch its first foray into the burgeoning new class of large-sensor compact cameras sometime this year. According to a Nikkei business daily report, Nikon will price its first mirrorless camera with lens kit at ¥70,000 to ¥100,000 (about $900 to $1,300). If true, that would place Nikon at a price premium compared to the competition — a spot we’re sure Nikon is perfectly happy to occupy.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/09/nikon-mirrorless-release-date-price-camer/

Zyzyxxz

tino said:
Obviously it will be priced around or below 3100, what are you guys worry about.

I don't think so, they said it themselves that their mirrorless solution was aimed at professional/prosumers.

tino

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
I don't think so, they said it themselves that their mirrorless solution was aimed at professional/prosumers.
Thats the fluff they put out to sucker in the early adopters. 3 months after release the kit price will settle down to the 3100 level.

I was checking out camelcamelcamel.com for early 4/3 bodies prices. Some of the early Olympus pen bodies price on Amazon market place were ridiculous.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
a176 said:
??

this is the price range of the higher end mirrorless kits

My main gripe with it is the crop factor. Its using a sensor that will have a 2.7x crop factor. Visually illustrated...

PFWx3.png

... and yet its being priced a bit above current mirrorless offerings. At the inception of the mirrorless movement the companies releasing mirrorless cameras at least had the benefit of not having to compete against lower priced bodies. In Nikons case it seems like they want to directly translate their DSLR clout to the Mirrorless space. I think its a whole new ballgame and I think its going to bite them in the ass.

I also think the 4/3rd system (specifically Micro 4/3rds) is skirting the edge of being usefully small. It strikes a nice balance between the two (sensor size and body size). Where Nikon have positioned themselves, sensor size wise, doesn't seem like it would be such a gain in size and weight over the m4/3rd cameras and lenses. It's almost as harebrained as the Pentax Q.

MRORANGE

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/09/09/nikon-v1-and-j1-the-new-mirrorless-cameras-from-nikon.aspx/

The two models of the Nikon mirrorless camera will be called Nikon V1 and Nikon J1*. The mockups I posted online I believe are of the V1 model. Both bodies will be identical, except that one will have a self timer LED on the top right and different colors for the lens release button (one will be black, the other will be silver). Nikon V1 will have a built-in high resolution EVF and will come in black and white. The Nikon J1 will not have an EVF and will come in 5 colors: red, pink, grey, white and black. The rest of the specs:

Update: I missed that one – the camera will have both phase and contrast AF detection
10.1MP
ISO range: 100-3200 (with H1-6400)
CCD sensor (not sure about that) – the whole mirrorless line will be called CX, similar to DX and FX
Both cameras will have 2.7x crop factor
3 in. LCD screen
The J1 model will have a built-in flash
The V1 will not have a built-in flash but it will have a multi-accessory port which will support external flash and a GPS device
There will be no traditional flash hot shoe on both models
There will be a F-mount adapter
Both cameras will probably be made of plastic
Full HD movie with many additional features
EXPEED 3 processor with 600 megapixels per second processing power
The four mirrorless lenses are (most with choice of colors, except the 10-100mm):
10mm f/2.8 pancake lens
10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens (very short and portable)
10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
30-110mm VR
Some of the above specs could be wrong or lost in the translation.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2011/09/09/n...orless-cameras-from-nikon.aspx/#ixzz1XUzKBAjO

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tokkun said:

Lenses is their biggest asset. Thats why I sold my NEX and bought m4/3, the lenses just weren't there. I'm still fairly frustrated with m4/3 but its still better than NEX

If Canon or Nikon came in with a mirror less back that could take their entire lens range, plus developed a few nice pancake lenses just for the format, they instantly have an advantage.

And there are tons of people that love their Canon/Nikon DSLRs but want something more compact. Its likely they'll pay a premium to be able to stay within their existing system as they'll get reuse from the lenses.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
About lens adaption, Conurus is developing an adapter for the NEX system that will allow aperture control for EFS and EF lenses. Its remains to be seen if they'll tackle Autofocusing though. They've already got a prototype going with aperture control...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1Nm6ZDWJs

If they get AF going it would be HUGE (just like the size of the lenses I guess teehee). The feasibility of this isn't out there either, they're the same company known for getting Contax N lenses (Zeiss's former AF lens system) to work with full Aperture and AF control on Canon via an adapter.

tino

Banned
golem said:
The Nikon doesn't presently seem like a higher end solution.

Nikon has always had slightly higher body price than Canon in the same class. Nikon also has a bit more rapid fan base. I would like to compare N/C to BMW and Lexus.

Don't give too much credit to higher end European brands, these brands have changed hands a few times and its harder to profit than you think.

tino

Banned
MRORANGE said:
http://nikonrumors.com/2011/09/09/nikon-v1-and-j1-the-new-mirrorless-cameras-from-nikon.aspx/

Update: I missed that one – the camera will have both phase and contrast AF detection
10.1MP
ISO range: 100-3200 (with H1-6400)
CCD sensor (not sure about that) – the whole mirrorless line will be called CX, similar to DX and FX
Both cameras will have 2.7x crop factor
3 in. LCD screen
The J1 model will have a built-in flash
The V1 will not have a built-in flash but it will have a multi-accessory port which will support external flash and a GPS device
There will be no traditional flash hot shoe on both models
There will be a F-mount adapter
Both cameras will probably be made of plastic
Full HD movie with many additional features
EXPEED 3 processor with 600 megapixels per second processing power
The four mirrorless lenses are (most with choice of colors, except the 10-100mm):
10mm f/2.8 pancake lens
10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens (very short and portable)
10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
30-110mm VR
Some of the above specs could be wrong or lost in the translation.

+ low pixel count
- 2.7X I hate this magnification factor, its going to be impossible to count in your head.
- No hotshoe? so these are the entry level and mid-range models then

For photo enthusiasts, the only interesting combo is the camera+the pancake combo. I guess this combo will compete with GRDIII directly. The 2.7X really make it pretty much useless for manual lenses.

taku

Ok GAF,

Time for a Q!

So I've got a Canon 60D with standard 18-55 kit (worst crap ever) + 50mm f/1.8 (sharp!).

I really really need a lens with zoom as well a really nice "all around" lens.

At the moment, I am looking at these two:

Canon EF 70-200/2,8 L USM
Canon EF 24-70/2,8 L USM

Questions:

Will the L-series benefit me even though I've only got a Canon 60D?
Are these lenses a good call or should I go with a different choice?
So uh, since 60D doesn't have a full frame sensor that would mean that the 24mm would equal 38mm right.. will that be okay for wider shots, landscapes and inside usage?

Help me out here, peeps. I need two perfect lenses!

70-200 will be useless for day to day shots, it's super heavy, huge and the focal length is quite long. It's an amazing lens if you need to shoot distant objects though, truly fantastic image quality.
24-70 is perfect for all around usage.

tokkun

That's a pretty big transition, going from two of the smallest and cheapest lenses to a couple of pro-quality lenses.

I guess that if you're looking at those two lenses, then the price is not a big concern. What about portability? Those lenses are going to be much larger and heavier than what you are using.

Do you need f/2.8? You can go smaller and lighter and get larger reach if not.

golem

I love my 24-70L. It's a great all around lens and gets very sharp as you stop it down. Wide open it's pretty good too. It's really heavy though. I also used to have the 17-55mm f/2.8 which was a pretty good lens and wider on crop sensor as well, but I like the construction quality of the L better.

I also have the 70-200 f/4 L IS which is one of Canon's sharpest lenses, but I find for my kind of photography I don't have a use for it all that often.

70-200 @ 200mm. f/5.6

4958801559_2a0b72b717_b.jpg

Soi-Fong

I love my 24-70 L! Soo freaking awesome though even my 24-105 L is no slouch. Love it love it love it!

QF1N0521-2.jpg

This was taken with a Mark II N and a 24-105L.

taku

So the general consensus here is;

24-70 = <3
70-200 = no real day to day usage

So you guys rarely try to capture people/animals/things from afar? I find myself wishing I had a really sharp telezoom all the freaking time when I'm out..

tokkun said:
That's a pretty big transition, going from two of the smallest and cheapest lenses to a couple of pro-quality lenses.

I guess that if you're looking at those two lenses, then the price is not a big concern. What about portability? Those lenses are going to be much larger and heavier than what you are using.

Do you need f/2.8? You can go smaller and lighter and get larger reach if not.
Yeah, I think I need f/2.8. I need something I can use both day and night..
Is it really that heavy? I mean..what are my alternatives then? :/

Soi-Fong said:
I love my 24-70 L! Soo freaking awesome though even my 24-105 L is no slouch. Love it love it love it!
So which one would you choose? 24-70 or 24-105?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I shoot everything on a 60D + 24-105 f/4L. It produces amazing photos. I haven't really felt the need to buy another lens just yet. Then again after shelling out cash for the 24-105 I don't have much left either! :)

To the fellow above asking if an L lens is worth it on a 60D it very much is. The colors and sharpness on most L lenses can't be matched by the lesser lenses.

I think anyone who buys either of those lenses debates that question for awhile, haha. I went with the 24-105 for extra reach and IS. I shoot mostly studio so I don't really need 2.8.

tino

Banned
taku said:
So the general consensus here is;

24-70 = <3
70-200 = no real day to day usage

So you guys rarely try to capture people/animals/things from afar? I find myself wishing I had a really sharp telezoom all the freaking time when I'm out..

Yeah, I think I need f/2.8. I need something I can use both day and night..
Is it really that heavy? I mean..what are my alternatives then? :/

Why don't you rent the lenses for a few days, they are a lot bigger than you think. And yes there are many alternate options out there.

MultiCore

I bought the 24-105L for my 5D2. It's fairly big, but I really like it.

I need to add a tele lens though. Probably the 70-200 2.8 IS II.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
taku said:
Ok GAF,

Time for a Q!

So I've got a Canon 60D with standard 18-55 kit (worst crap ever) + 50mm f/1.8 (sharp!).

I really really need a lens with zoom as well a really nice "all around" lens.

At the moment, I am looking at these two:

Canon EF 70-200/2,8 L USM
Canon EF 24-70/2,8 L USM

Questions:

Will the L-series benefit me even though I've only got a Canon 60D?
Are these lenses a good call or should I go with a different choice?
So uh, since 60D doesn't have a full frame sensor that would mean that the 24mm would equal 38mm right.. will that be okay for wider shots, landscapes and inside usage?

Help me out here, peeps. I need two perfect lenses!

I always loved the 24-105 f4L as my walk around lens. As mentioned, I found 24mm wide enough, and appreciated the longer reach and IS plenty of times.

icjl88.jpg

Canon 7D
15-85 USM, 85mm at f/5.6

straight out of the camera. No crop, no correction. Was focusing fully manualy while getting closer. When I put the camera down, the Dragonfly was less than 10 cm away from the lens. It just didn't bother. It was cleaning itself like it didn't care I was shooting, even if the shutter was making some noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom