• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VNZ

taku said:
Another vouch for the 24-70, eh? Excellent!
It's a great lens, but bear in mind it's been due for an update a long time now. And to be honest, under many circumstances it's not tack sharp with todays high density sensors. Compared to the latest 70-200 L it does feel a bit old.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
golem said:
Get the 24-70, its a great all around lens.

Shot at f/2.8

6150767119_eb56ffd21f_b.jpg

35/2.5 Summarit?

Radec

taku said:
Well I would.. but here in Sweden, renting one of these lenses for ONE day costs about $75.
So yeah, $75 (rent/day) x 3 (lenses) x 7 (week) = $1575

I think I'll just try them in a store if they let me ;D

Another vouch for the 24-70, eh? Excellent!

Oh that expensive? nvm then lol.

Go for 24-70.

That thing is one of Canon's best L lens.

Tried it on a friends 5D and the focus is ridiculously fast. Not as accurate as Nikon's but sure hell much faster.

I can still remember 2 years ago when some guy sold that lens for like $600 to a friend of mine. I got the 85 f/1.4 for like $500 though. :p

Soi-Fong

Just took this recently with my 24-70. My girlfriend wanted a photo shoot done of the dress that she made for a competition she's entering.

Both of us went out to this cold beach and just took a few quick pictures.

Just three here. I love my 24-70 L!!

IMG_8174-Resize.jpg

IMG_8238-2-Resized.jpg

IMG_8196-3-Resized2.jpg

Soi-Fong said:
Just took this recently with my 24-70. My girlfriend wanted a photo shoot done of the dress that she made for a competition she's entering.

delicious. both the lens and your gf

note: the color cast of your gf is too blue, try to brighten and warm it up

BlueTsunami

I think its a case of the really dense APS-C sensor making the sharpness at a pixel level look unsharp (pixel peepers teeth gnashing). Its odd people are calling out Zeiss though for being a luxury item when they make the best in class 135mm, 85mm and a fantastic 24mm Alpha lens and they're all priced at Canon L levels (in some cases lower). Then there's the zooms. Also the MTF of the E 24/1.7 reads like it should be a mean lens.

This is my current complement for my A55:

- 18-55 kit lens
- 70-210 f/4 beercan
- 50 f/1.7 minolta

I love the last two lenses, but I haven't decided if it's worth spending the money to replace/supplant the kit lens with something nicer. Any tips?

tokkun

opticalmace said:

- 18-55 kit lens
- 70-210 f/4 beercan
- 50 f/1.7 minolta

I love the last two lenses, but I haven't decided if it's worth spending the money to replace/supplant the kit lens with something nicer. Any tips?

If it were me, I wouldn't put a replacement wide-angle zoom at the top of the list. I'd go for a macro (Minolta 100mm or Tamron 90mm) or super wide-angle (Rokinon 8mm fisheye) first.

Both of those would give you new creative options, unlike spending money on an upgraded kit.

opticalmace said:

- 18-55 kit lens
- 70-210 f/4 beercan
- 50 f/1.7 minolta

my favourite sony lens is the newish 35mm 1.8, which is small, lightweight, sharp and excellent value - i think it makes a much better walkaround lens than a 50mm, but i'd rather walk around with both than use an 18-55 kit lens. 35-50 are definitely my most used focal lengths, and having two nice primes at either extreme works better for me than a kit zoom.

or you could go for the 30mm 2.8 macro, which i guess would probably also work well in similar situations while obviously giving you extra creative options.

i just really like the 35 1.8. if i could only use one lens in the entire sony system forever, it'd be that, even if it does feel like it was made from refurbished 3DS parts.

Borman said:
I still plan on picking up the 24-70L once I have the money, still really looking forward to it.
maybe im stupid and blind did a quick test between 18-55mm and 24-70L and didnt see 1500$ difference...
you might want to check sigma 24-70mm?

Forsete

I have been checking the NEX5N. Everything about it impresses me but I am very disappointed about that clicking issue (while filming), not very Sony-like to let something like that slip though, more Canon-like. ;)

Still NEX7 is where it is at for me. The tri-control seems to be very innovative and something I want to try out. And if the 24MP can deliver good results it gives a lot of room for cropping.

Oh and Dyxum finally got a NEX-section. <3

tino

Banned
More evident that NEX is a good secondary system to SLR owners, not a good primary system. It's also a great back for MF lenses. I still want a good comparo between the 5n's sensor and the NEX7's sensor.

The clicking sound might be something from the continues AF gear.

Forsete

tino said:
More evident that NEX is a good secondary system to SLR owners, not a good primary system. I still want a good comparo between the 5n's sensor and the NEX7's sensor.

The clicking sound might be something from the continues AF gear.

Same here, but we'll have to wait. NEX7 firmware is still very early, version 0.3 I think the latest one is.

I also use it as a secondary system (though I probably use it more than my primary :p ), but it might take over competley when NEX7 comes out, then I will be able to use my flashes which is the biggest problem with my current 5.
Going by how well the system is selling I cant wait to see what 3rd party lensmakers have in store for it. Rumor has it Samyang is developing a new small fisheye for E-mount.

The clicking is from the camera body and is mechanical. They should just offer to have all current defect cameras (not all of them have the clicking sound) serviced at no cost.

Forsete

Any optics experts? :p

What causes the smeared corners on the GH2 and EP3 compared to the NEX5N? Is it just thanks to the microlenses they added?

Voigtländer 35mm f1.2

GH2
wHxQJ.jpg

EP3
ZfC9a.jpg

NEX5N
J64zU.jpg

One would think since the 4/3 uses a smaller crop it should get a sharper picture. If microlenses adjustment really makes this big of a difference I hope they are standard from now on. It would be nice to see the same test with old sensor.

What do you think?

BlueTsunami

Forsete said:
What do you think?

There are people who believe it has to be microlenses. The issue with the 4/3rd cameras was also seen with the NEX 3 and 5. The 3C and 5N showed vastly improved performance. Has to do with the light rays hitting the sensor at too much of an angle. The much closer flange distance is obviously the culprit. This bump in performance for the corners has also translated to the 16/2.8 and Kit Zoom.

This has also improved color shift for certain non-retrofocus lenses that really sit close to the sensor. The shifting of colors in the corners is actually worse on the Leica M9 without any of the automated color fixes on body.

Soi-Fong said:

I just got a 24-70 L for $1000 the other day and also ended up getting first row seats to a Gator football game. Pretty good weekend.

305020_192202217519225_100001883439073_422175_1870765653_n.jpg

319683_192202247519222_100001883439073_422176_754873909_n.jpg

316623_192213264184787_100001883439073_422215_540931388_n.jpg

Forsete

Luminous-Landscape preview of NEX7
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_nex_7_first_impressions.shtml

The NEX-7 truly appears to be the photographic equivalent of a Pocket Battleship. It's small and light enough to be carried all day in one hand, yet has the image quality capabilities of a much larger camera. With its very bright and high resolution electronic viewfinder it surpasses the eye level viewing of most APS-C DSLRs, with their small tunnel-vision viewpoints – though as mentioned, shadows do block up in the viewfinder in high contrast situations.

I really want to try that EVF.

One really has to ask – what's not to like? At under US $1,200 for a 24MP camera, even the price is attractive. I predict that the NEX-7 will be one of the hottest cameras of the coming year, and is going to really put other camera maker's feet to the fire when it comes to offering an attractive mix of image quality, features, size, build quality and price. Sony clearly made a decision to make the NEX-7 as full featured as possible, not holding back any of their available features or technology. With many camera makers creating market segmentation by artificially restricting features to certain price points, Sony is to be commended for pulling out all the stops for the NEX-7 and keeping the price as reasonable as it did given the camera's wide ranging features and capabilities.

Drooolz

tino

Banned
I wish somebody make an EVF that shows the frame in full and a 10x enlarged image of the focus point on the side It doesn't even need to be a high resolution EFV. I would be in MF heaven.

Radec

tino said:
I wish somebody make an EVF that shows the frame in full and a 10x enlarged image of the focus point on the side It doesn't even need to be a high resolution EFV. I would be in MF heaven.

I bet we'll be seeing that in the coming years.

But for now, Sony's peaking feature is the best tool for MF. :)

BlueTsunami

tino said:

Panasonic has a Picture in Picture magnification feature. You see the full frame but the magnified area is shown as a small area in the middle (almost like a Rangefinder patch). I thought that solution was really cool.

ChryZ

BlueTsunami said:
Panasonic has a Picture in Picture magnification feature. You see the full frame but the magnified area is shown as a small area in the middle (almost like a Rangefinder patch). I thought that solution was really cool.
Not just in the middle, you can have the little picture-in-picture window anywhere you want thanks to the touch screen.

GAF you helped me Build a PC... and a powerful one at that.

Help me pick a camera!!! I want a professional Camera, I basiclly want it for taking photos of people when I go to Conventions and such, also I have a cousin who just started drift racing so Ill be taking photos of him on the track.

My limit is 1000.

Any advice? What should I look for?

Is this a good start?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002XQJFA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:

When you work on photoshop, you want the controls on the side, or on a 2nd monitor, you don't want them floating on top of your photo. I would pay big bux for this "side peeking" feature.

Seth C

Opinions on the new DMC-G3? Can get it with the kit lens for $524. I'm currently just using an FZ28, so yeah. Not up there with you guys.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
SnakeSlashRO said:

Help me pick a camera!!! I want a professional Camera, I basiclly want it for taking photos of people when I go to Conventions and such, also I have a cousin who just started drift racing so Ill be taking photos of him on the track.

My limit is 1000.

Is this a good start?
Definitely don't get that camera. It's very old and you can find much newer models for a better price. Look at getting a used Canon 40D or 50D (keh.com), or go with a new T3i or T2i.

Can't help you on the Nikon side of things since I'm a Canon guy, but they have some very good entry-level cameras. May be a better choice than picking up an older 40D or 50D.

Check out www.dpreview.com for reviews.

Hey guys, next year I'm making a trip to South Africa and I'm looking for a wide angle lens on a budget I can take on safari for landscape photography. I've got an older sony alpha, so it's not 3/4 and it's not full frame. Would something like a 28mm/2.8 do the job? ( I ask because I can get such a spec lens in Minolta for a good price)

tokkun

SnakeSlashRO said:

My limit is 1000.

Is this a good start?

You are going to want to allocate less money to the camera body and more to the lenses. Try going to something from the previous model line to save money like a Sony a33 or Canon T2i. Try to make the body $600 or less.

For your convention shooting you are probably going to want a wide, fast prime lens. Somewhere in the 24 to 35mm range with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 to f/1.7. Depending on the type of subjects you're shooting, you may also need a fast mid-telephoto prime, like an 85mm f/2.8. For the Sony mount, you can get a 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/2.8 for about $450. I'm not sure about value lenses for the other systems. I'm not sure about the drift racing. I guess you may need a full telephoto lens for that depending on how far away you are.

Pixel Pete said:
Hey guys, next year I'm making a trip to South Africa and I'm looking for a wide angle lens on a budget I can take on safari for landscape photography. I've got an older sony alpha, so it's not 3/4 and it's not full frame. Would something like a 28mm/2.8 do the job? ( I ask because I can get such a spec lens in Minolta for a good price)

Yeah, the 28mm f/2.8 would probably be one of the top choices. Sony 35mm f/1.8 would be another safe choice.

But if it were me, I think I would go for the 8mm Samyang/Rokinon diagonal fisheye. It's a full manual lens, but it gets some really neat results in landscape photography (as long as you are not bothered by a little distortion):

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1284660@N20/pool/tags/landscape/

It's about $280, though, so a bit more expensive than the other two lenses.

tino

Banned
Pixel Pete said:

28mm is really not wide angel on APS-C. If low cost is very important to you, the best investment you can make is spend some time learning how to take multiple pictures and stitch them on a panorama program.

tino said:
28mm is really not wide angel on APS-C. If low cost is very important to you, the best investment you can make is spend some time learning how to take multiple pictures and stitch them on a panorama program.

Yeah unfortunately I know APS-C is limiting for me.
I'm comfortable stitching panorama's, I'm just not sure how willing I am. I'll be spending months after a trip just editting :p

The fisheye examples look great, but I get the impression it's a bit niche. I want to be able to use a wide angle lens for other things where possible.

I'm thinking a 28mm will overcome the APS-C enough to take decent landscape photographs and still keep my wallet in one piece afterwards. Heck, I can grab one on ebay for $85 just for poops and giggles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom