• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
luoapp said:
Where is your kit lens (18-55mm)? That's much wider than 28mm. Actually I will start thinking about "long".

It's in my camera bag.
So yeah, that's a very valid point. I think I just really like prime lenses :)

Borman

kemalettin said:
maybe im stupid and blind did a quick test between 18-55mm and 24-70L and didnt see 1500$ difference...
you might want to check sigma 24-70mm?

A bit late, but I have a 5d2, no 18-55mm for me. I had thought about the Sigma, but gave it a pass when I last checked.

tino

Banned
Pixel Pete said:
Yeah unfortunately I know APS-C is limiting for me.
I'm comfortable stitching panorama's, I'm just not sure how willing I am. I'll be spending months after a trip just editting :p

The fisheye examples look great, but I get the impression it's a bit niche. I want to be able to use a wide angle lens for other things where possible.

I'm thinking a 28mm will overcome the APS-C enough to take decent landscape photographs and still keep my wallet in one piece afterwards. Heck, I can grab one on ebay for $85 just for poops and giggles...

Well you should get it if its that cheap. You can still use the 28mm to take panorama photo sets. A small 28mm lens has its advantages. Really you are not going to find a prime lens wider than 28mm that cost less than $200 so go right ahead.

I am still waiting for the Nikon adapter for my NEX body. When I do I will stick an old 28mm AIS lens on it and that will be my everyday camera for a while.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Pixel Pete said:
It's in my camera bag.
So yeah, that's a very valid point. I think I just really like prime lenses :)

I don't have a wide lens for my APS-C Rebel XT but its kit lens does help in that regard. Its pretty much been relegated to being a 18mm lens. I'm not sure how the Alpha zoom is but I just set my own kit to f/5.6-8 and snap away.

As far as wide prime offerings, there's the Samyang 14/2.8 that should give you around a 20mm Angle of View. It has complicated wave distortion but that shouldn't be a big issue for natural landscapes. It goes for $419 though but its nearly best in class at 14mm (along with legendary lenses like the Nikon 14-24G)

Seth C said:
Opinions on the new DMC-G3? Can get it with the kit lens for $524. I'm currently just using an FZ28, so yeah. Not up there with you guys.
I have an EP3 and think the micro 4/3 system is a great compromise between lens and body size and sensor size. It also has by far the best lens lineup of all the mirrorless systems.

I would highly recommend picking up the G3 at that price and then getting the Lumix 20mm lens when you get a chance. It's small, takes amazingly sharp photos and is great for low light situations.

BlueTsunami said:
I don't have a wide lens for my APS-C Rebel XT but its kit lens does help in that regard. Its pretty much been relegated to being a 18mm lens. I'm not sure how the Alpha zoom is but I just set my own kit to f/5.6-8 and snap away.

As far as wide prime offerings, there's the Samyang 14/2.8 that should give you around a 20mm Angle of View. It has complicated wave distortion but that shouldn't be a big issue for natural landscapes. It goes for $419 though but its nearly best in class at 14mm (along with legendary lenses like the Nikon 14-24G)

yeah the image quality on my kit lens would have to be terrible for me to justify a $400 lens when im saving for a holiday. I need to get home from work and do some tests.
It's funny, because I've used my kit lens before, but just learning and taking shots everywhere, never looking at it like a wide lens (at least, wider than my 50 prime and wide enough to take decent landscape shots)

luoapp

Pixel Pete said:
yeah the image quality on my kit lens would have to be terrible for me to justify a $400 lens when im saving for a holiday. I need to get home from work and do some tests.
It's funny, because I've used my kit lens before, but just learning and taking shots everywhere, never looking at it like a wide lens (at least, wider than my 50 prime and wide enough to take decent landscape shots)

Sony's 1855 kit lens is actually pretty decent, especially considering you can use it one or two steps down.

ChryZ

Seth C said:
Opinions on the new DMC-G3? Can get it with the kit lens for $524. I'm currently just using an FZ28, so yeah. Not up there with you guys.
Got one since it launched and I'm more than happy with it. Great sensor on par with the one found in the flagship model GH2. Build-in electronic viewfinder, it's an expensive add-on for many mirror-less cameras and it's essential when shooting outside in bright sunlight. The cam offers prolly the best bang for buck in the whole m4/3 range.

Check out some reviews:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Panasonic-G3-Digital-Camera-Review.htm
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCG3/

luiztfc

Does anyone here have the Passport Sling by Lowepro? I need a low profile camera bag to walk around with my camera and it seemed nice and with a good price (aprox. 60 dollars).

Lowepro_Passport_Sling_Black_Demo.jpg

However, it seems a bit feminine.

2-DSCF1678.jpg

What do you guys think? Also, would you suggest another low profile (and not too expensive) camera shoulder/sling bag?

I know about the Think Tank Retrospective and the Lowepro Classified but they are too pricey (120~160 dollars, depending on the model).

tino

Banned
LOL @ the pink lens. These Nikon EVIL look way too close to GF2/3

2011-09-21-nikondsc0229-1316577338.jpg

edit:

I like the look of the white/silver body + pancake combo, that's the only nice thing I have to offer.
They are actually going to put a giant "1" on the production camera?
2011-09-20-dsc0185.jpg

Radec

Zyzyxxz said:
I did not expect the built in EVF variant. Any word on price?

The Nikon J1 and V1 will be available throughout the US starting October 20th, with the J1 + 10-30mm kit available for just $649.95. The V1, available with the same bundled piece of glass, will retail for $899.95

tino

Banned
I think the V1 body look better than NEX7, but the sensor size does nothing to me.

Who need these cameras? Just get a Fuji X10!

Radec

Those are like Coolpix cameras but with interchangeable lens.

stupid nikon. they are really slow in terms of tech outside of their DSLR and lenses.

Now I've fully decided to take the Sony route this year.

giga

The 1" type sensor (13.2mm x 8.8mm) gives a 2.7x crop. The J1 kit with 10-30mm lens will cost $649.99 while the V1 kit, with magnesium body and viewfinder, will be $899.95

LOL. Fuck off Nikon.

iamcenok

So Gaf, I'm planning to upgrade to a new DLSR.

I currently shoot with a Pentax K-x, and I'm planning on selling this camera and Possibly my MacbookPro for the upgrade.

I've been eyeing the Nikon D7000 quite a bit, and my friend recommends something a bit cheaper and just to invest on a second lens -- recommends the D5100.

Now, I've tinkered with Nikons and Canons here and there, and ultimately I love how Nikons feel and work over Canons.

However, I would like to get into shooting video. I've dabbled for fun and personal projects, but I'd like to get serious about it. The thing that kills me with Nikon is the video options and features.. I don't mind the 24/30 fps deal... But Canons offerings in the video department speak to me quite a bit. So besides those 2 cameras, I'm also eyeing the Canon 60D.

Guide me gaf, should some lacking features on a camera deter me from one brand to another? Am I just being silly about this? Also, what are some similar cameras to the 60D in terms of power but priced lower? (Forgive me if my rambling is off, I need sleep)

Zyzyxxz

Some would say jump on the Panasonic Micro 4/3rds wagon since their video offering is actually pretty good and the prices are right!

iamcenok said:
However, I would like to get into shooting video. I've dabbled for fun and personal projects, but I'd like to get serious about it. The thing that kills me with Nikon is the video options and features.. I don't mind the 24/30 fps deal... But Canons offerings in the video department speak to me quite a bit. So besides those 2 cameras, I'm also eyeing the Canon 60D.

If you are serious about getting into video there are really not too many options. The best looking video shooting DSLR is still the Canon 5d mk2, and arguably the best SLR- type camera for shooting video is the Panasonic GH2.

I have a GH1 (hacked) with 14-140mm and a few other lenses and a 5dmk2 with kit 24-105mm lens just purchased a month ago. TBH the ease of use shooting video with the Panasonic is unparallel for run and gun shooting - continuous autofocus and no limit to recording time etc. If I have time to set up a shot and a chance at multiple takes at it then the 5D is the way to go. The price difference is significant however and I wouldn't recommend the 5D for a dabbler.

golem

iamcenok said:
Guide me gaf, should some lacking features on a camera deter me from one brand to another? Am I just being silly about this? Also, what are some similar cameras to the 60D in terms of power but priced lower? (Forgive me if my rambling is off, I need sleep)
It sounds like the main reason you want to upgrade is video? I would go with Canon (and maybe Panny) in that case. You might want to check out the T2i as well for a lower priced but still pretty featured camera.

tino said:
LOL @ the pink lens. These Nikon EVIL look way too close to GF2/3

2011-09-21-nikondsc0229-1316577338.jpg

edit:

I like the look of the white/silver body + pancake combo, that's the only nice thing I have to offer.
They are actually going to put a giant "1" on the production camera?
2011-09-20-dsc0185.jpg

The V1 is a step in the right direction as an overall camera. IQ, from the few samples I've seen, is more than acceptable.

But pricing and lack of controls are disappointing. It feels like Nikon are not really trying to reduce body and particularly lens sizes. It's like they do it on purpose... like Sony.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seth C said:

I like mine a lot. Has more of a DSLR feel than some of the really compact rangefinder styles, and has a nice scattering of real buttons for quickly changing settings etc. I had it with the 14-140 for a while which is a big, heavy lens but a great combination with good reach. But now I'm back with the kit which is fine too.

tino

Banned
Instigator said:
The V1 is a step in the right direction as an overall camera. IQ, from the few samples I've seen, is more than acceptable.

But pricing and lack of controls are disappointing. It feels like Nikon are not really trying to reduce body and particularly lens sizes. It's like they do it on purpose... like Sony.

The IQ is not better than 4/3. It's basically what you expected.

I think both the 10X zoom and the kit zoom are alot smaller than the NEX versions, and better looking than the m4/3 versions. If a P&S user wants to buy a "nice travel camera", they are slightly better than the Sony combos.

But its a dead platform. You can't grow from it. I wouldn't recommand it to any male or young person.

They remind me of the Minolta Vectis APS film system, anybody remember those.

Could someone tell me about the advantages/disadvantages of a full-frame camera versus an APS-C?

As far as I can tell:

APS-C is lighter, cheaper, better magnification (?)
full-frame collects more light, is heavier, more expensive, better DOF?

Apologies if this is fairly incorrect!

It's pretty sad that the one pancake Nikon announce is physically larger and slower than Panasonic 14mm lens. It will be even sadder when this system outsells micro 4/3 3:1 in the US :/

Flo_Evans

opticalmace said:
Could someone tell me about the advantages/disadvantages of a full-frame camera versus an APS-C?

As far as I can tell:

Full frame generally has lower noise ratios at a given ISO than a crop sensor. Look at that ISO 400 pic from the new nikon tiny sensor. NOISE.

Better magnification, not exactly. It is a CROP sensor. Meaning, the same image is hitting the sensor as with a full frame. Magnification is a function of the lens. People will often say 35mm or full frame equivalent when discussing lenses for a crop sensor. Field of view is what really changes with a crop sensor. Try overlaying an image on that sensor comparison graphic to see what is really happening. The level of zoom stays the same but you are throwing out the edges of the pic and only capturing the center. In most cases, on consumer level lenses this is a good thing as edge performance on cheap lenses is notoriously bad.

What this means in the real world is that you will often have to be farther back from your subject to frame it on a crop sensor, which effects DOF and perspective. So people generally get wider angle lenses on a crop camera, that also effects DOF. I don't know the exact formula offhand but you have something like:

Code:
focal length of lens x distance to subject x aperture = DOF

This stays the same regardless of sensor size, what changes on a crop sensor is the focal length and the distance to subject.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
reggieandTFE said:
It's pretty sad that the one pancake Nikon announce is physically larger and slower than Panasonic 14mm lens. It will be even sadder when this system outsells micro 4/3 3:1 in the US :/
it will be much higher than 3:1. Olympus/Panasonic are terrible marketers.

mooooose

I have a Canon AE-1. I got a 6V battery for it. It worked but it died overnight. Got another, and it did the same. I had the Camera in the lock position. Bought it off eBay. Whats going on bruh.

tokkun

opticalmace said:

As far as I can tell:

I think one of the main disadvantages for the mid-level enthusiast is that a lot of the best value new lenses are APS-C only.

For example, in Sony-land the 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/2.8, 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM, and 18-250mm superzoom are all APS-C lenses. Same is true for some of the desirable third party lenses like Tamron kit, Rokinon fisheye, Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, etc.

With the exception of the 35mm f/1.8, which would be equivalent to the full frame 50mm f/1.7 (which is actually cheaper), you're not going to find an equivalent lens without paying a lot more.

Now, it's true that you can still use those lenses on full frame bodies and crop the images, but if you're going to do that, then why bother with the bulkier and more expensive body?

That said, pro-level lenses are still full frame, so if you don't mind dropping huge, expensive lenses then it's mostly a moot point.

Seth C said:
Well, I caved and ordered the G3. Now let's see if it shows up before Monday when I leave for 2 weeks in Europe.

G3 is tempting but I'm waiting for the rumored high-end GF-series camera. Basically I want something like the NEX7 in m4/3 format, to replace my LX3.

mrkgoo

I think the Canon S100 looks like a winner! I loved the S95, and if I were to get a compact that would be it.

Great manual controls for a pocket sized camera, great IQ with RAW, and f/2.0.

The S100 brings in a CMOS sensor, which is hopefully better (Canon normally do CCD on their pocket cameras, so we'll see how it goes), a wider angle and longer telephoto zoom, and the new Digic 5 processor.

I'm very keen to see how this reviews!

In other news, my Canon EOS Photo5 box arrived today!

In short, it's an assignment competition held by Canon. They send out boxes with mysterious items, and a list of 5 assignments to use the items.

I don't think I really have a shot judging from my own (lack of) talent and the calibre of past entries, but it should be fun!

Check out the website and the cool video:

www.canon.co.nz/en-nz/worldofeos/photo5/home

iamcenok

aorange999 said:
If you are serious about getting into video there are really not too many options. The best looking video shooting DSLR is still the Canon 5d mk2, and arguably the best SLR- type camera for shooting video is the Panasonic GH2.

I have a GH1 (hacked) with 14-140mm and a few other lenses and a 5dmk2 with kit 24-105mm lens just purchased a month ago. TBH the ease of use shooting video with the Panasonic is unparallel for run and gun shooting - continuous autofocus and no limit to recording time etc. If I have time to set up a shot and a chance at multiple takes at it then the 5D is the way to go. The price difference is significant however and I wouldn't recommend the 5D for a dabbler.

Well first and foremost, I do graphic design, and I shoot stock photos, but I want to upgrade to something a bit more powerful. The 5D mk.II is way out of my price range. Definitely too much camera for me. (as much as I'd love to own one or a Mk.III, just because) But Shooting video would be a plus. I was just eyeing Canons because their cameras are quite a bit better than Nikons in regard to video.

golem said:
It sounds like the main reason you want to upgrade is video? I would go with Canon (and maybe Panny) in that case. You might want to check out the T2i as well for a lower priced but still pretty featured camera.

As I mentioned up there, I'm mostly looking for a better DSLR than what I currently have. Video would just be icing on the cake, but due to the features that Canon has available.. I'm researching both brands.

I'm just trying to decide if I'm being silly, because Nikons offerings are good enough, but do I want to justify getting a canon just for a feature or two that Nikon doesn't offer?

Well let me ask, briefly, are there any opinions of owners of the aforementioned cameras?
I don't want anything in depth just some thoughts and or pros/cons

EDIT: I decided to just go for a D5100. :)

Anybody on here own one? Thoughts.

Zyzyxxz

chaostrophy said:
G3 is tempting but I'm waiting for the rumored high-end GF-series camera. Basically I want something like the NEX7 in m4/3 format, to replace my LX3.

Hell yes, GH7 is what I want to see but that's gonna be sometime in early 2012 at best.

I find the M4/3rds mount to be exciting because its such a fast growing market and there is already 3rd party support coming in the forms of Sigma and Samyang with more to come?

Lens for olympus and panasonic are interchangeable and the performance ain't bad for the size at all!

tino

Banned
I got a NEX-3 recently. I was cruising ebay one night and was randomly throwing NEX-3 and NEX-5 auctions to gixen in case I can catch a good deal.

I came across a gazelle auction that listed a "good" condition NEX-3 body for $310. Nowadays you pretty much can find a new NEX-3
body for $300 if you look hard. I noticed it has a "make your offer" option so just
for fun I made a lowball offer of $225. To my surprise I got the "offer accepted" email 1 second later. I realized they set a very low accepted price for this camera. I felt a little bit dumb afterward. I should have lowballed gazelle from $200! Hell I should have make an alternate account to test the bottom line.

So, I ended up joining the mirrorless army sooner than I expected. Choosing NEX was
a no-brainer for me. The whole world knew Nikon was going to release a (useless) 2.5X format EVIL, which turned out to be a 2.7X format. Canon, being so successful in the entry level DSLR market, has even less incentive to release an APS-C mirrorless camera to confuse its traditional "Rebel" buyers. So there is no way Canon will release a 1.6X EVIL that can adapt to their EOS lenses seamlessly. As for the Fujifilm 1.5X EVIL rumor.... I haven't heard enough "credible" rumor. Plus I am pretty sure I can't afford a Fuji system even if they commit to a 1.5X system.

The camera arrived. Besides the scratched shutter button and the bottom, everything looks find. The testing photos I took looked fine. I haven't test its ISO limit yet, but I think I won't go over 800 very often for this body.

Since I don't plan to buy any ugly NEX lenses so I ordered a Nikon NEX/G adopter right away. I got the version that has a tripod mount on ebay. I have played with it for two days so I thought I would post some hands on comment.

For Nikon lenses that have aperture rings, you just have to set the aperture ring on the adapter to open and set aperture on the lens itself. On new lenses that don't have aperture rings, you have to control it from the adapter. However the aperture ring is stepless. From wide open to the smallest aperture only turns a narrow 30-40 degree. I am going to have to put a sticker there and make my own aperture marks.

Here is how it look with an AIS 50mm 1.8 (the most "pancake" like Nikon AIS)
6174384244_69b5d857e2.jpg

And on the 11-16 Tokina.
6174376388_1789b3dd97.jpg

What has surprised so far me was how easy it was to MF with the LCD. I thought it was going to be like using MF lens on a low end DSLR with a small pentamirror. Actually it has been very easy. Probably not quite focusing on a split-screen MF SLR easy. But its damn close. I can hit the "zoom in" MF assist button and fine tune it. The only problem I have is that I can't map the zoom-in function to the soft button next to the shutter. I have to map it to the button in the lower right corner. The articulate LCD has been very useful as well. I still don't think I need it for composing, but its very useful for fine tuning the focus point.

There are a couple bonus for composing with LCD I didn't realized. You get actual bokeh preview no matter what aperture you are in; unlike looking thru the pentaprism and the lens, the dynamic range of the LCD is closer to the final output (web/print). So the preview is more accurate.

Overall this is one hell of a toy I get for $200. I have no doubt I will get a NEX-5n next year. I quickly ordered a 3rd party battery that's compatible to both the NEX-3 and the 5n.

Here are a couple more samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom