• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm on my phone, so sorry if this is answered on this page. I hate the browser on my phone....blah.

There may be a thread for this already, but I'm going to leave this here for (maybe) some help.

My fiance wants a new camera for Christmas, and since it benefits both of us, we're going to buy a nice DSLR. She wants to get one of the thin/compact ones, as opposed to the larger, bulkier variants.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Price wise, I'm thinking in the $300-500 range, but if going a little higher means a HUGE increase in quality, I'm all for it. Thanks for the protips!

Thanks for the help!

If anyone is interested I have my dad's old Canon AE-1 camera (he thinks he got it in late 70's) that I'd like to get rid of for cheap. It seems to be in good working condition, last time it was used was by me back in 2002 and it didn't have any issues then. It has been in my closet in a camera bag since that time. I just took it out to take pictures of it and test it out, everything seems fine and the battery is still good as of this moment. I'd like to get rid of it for cheap, ideally to a fellow GAFfer if anyone here could make more use of it than me. Checking recently completed listings on Ebay and sellers on Amazon it seems to sell anywhere between $30 to 100+ plus shipping for the camera and 50mm lens. I've also got a 135 mm lens for it and a flash attachment.

I'll sell it for whatever a GAFfer that wants it thinks is fair. Enough to cover shipping ideally and get me a few dollars on top of it I guess. Not too concerned really. Just PM me.

A couple quick shots:

AE1_2 by egarrison, on Flickr

AE1_1 by egarrison, on Flickr

BJK

Camera body acquired (t3i on sale w/ camera bag, figured it was worth the extra $70-80 over the T2i for something I'll have for a long time).

Now all I need is a lens...or 3. (I plan on buying a 50mm prime lens for low light, and a zoom lens before baseball season, but those can wait.)

I'm looking at the 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS. (I had been looking at the 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS, but most of the reviews say it's not a sharp picture. Plus, the 15mm end of the spectrum should be enough so that I don't 'need' a wide angle lens any time soon.)

Amazon has the lens about $30 cheaper than everyplace else (Canon has a $65 instant rebate on the lens between now and the 23rd). Thus the debate: buy now, or see if it goes on a cheaper sale.

All the sales I've seen that are strictly black friday related have been for the low end of the market (e.g. Canon T3, 50-250 mm zoom, 75-300 mm non-IS zoom). I'm leaning toward making the purchase, but I'd hate to find the same lens much cheaper between now and Christmas.

Anyone with more experience in the buyer's market have any thoughts on holiday sales?

EDIT: Amazon raised the price on the 15-85 by $5, and raised the prices of a number of other lenses as well (including bumping up the price of the 70-300 non-L zoom lens by nearly $40). As long as the lens is nearly $30 cheaper than everyone else, I decided to lock in. I can keep an eye on prices for a zoom lens, since I don't need that right away.

Zyzyxxz

Sold my D90 with my lenses, gonna miss it but I decided I needed money more right now than I do a camera and I do have a Nikon FG 35mm film that I need to learn how to use so this will be good way to force myself.

giga

Can someone educate me on the current state of rangefinder type / micro four thirds cameras? Or provide a link to a buying guide on what's currently on the field and how they compare. Olympus Pen, Panasonic, Sony NEX, and so on.

Newegg is giving the Panasonic GF2 (with the 14-42) for $300 for Black Friday and I'm wondering what's the playing field around that price level. And also if that's a good deal or not since new models are being churned out yearly.

Zyzyxxz

Can someone educate me on the current state of rangefinder type / micro four thirds cameras? Or provide a link to a buying guide on what's currently on the field and how they compare. Olympus Pen, Panasonic, Sony NEX, and so on.

Newegg is giving the Panasonic GF2 (with the 14-42) for $300 for Black Friday and I'm wondering what's the playing field around that price level. And also if that's a good deal or not since new models are being churned out yearly.

There are no true rangefinders, the closest thing you will find in spirit will be the Fuji X100 (fixed lens) and the NEX-7 with a built in EVF.

NEX system has great cameras but poor selection of lenses
Panasonic - most reasonably priced of the bunch and OK selection of lenses
Olympus - lenses can be expensive but they are cross compatible with Pansonics (a few quirks to be read up on though)

Honestly I'm waiting to see if Panasonic releases a better top tier model that uses a better sensor but at the same time I'm waiting to see if Fuji's upcoming LX10 will be the godsend we all hope for.

tino

Banned

The NEX-5n/c3 have the best sensor/IQ, they are on par with $1000 DSLRs.
However the lens system is pretty pathetic. I recommend for old lens shooters.

The Samsung NX system has slightly lower IQ. There are deal to be have.
Their lens system is pretty good and compact. I recommand for newbies who don't plan to upgrade in the next 2-3 years.

The m4/3 system has meh sensor and IQ.
The lens system is pretty good. The pancakes lenses are slightly overpriced but they are very compact. Its meh for manual lens shooters.

The Nikon 1 system is overpriced. I found it to have very good IQ for snapshot type situation. The image is sharp, accurate, overly contasty and HDR'd. Very "P&S" in the in-camera processing. However there is very few instant of un-focus or blurry outputs. Useless for manual shooters. If the kit price drop to or below the m43 level. I recommend it to "non-photographers".

If you can buy a GF2 kit for 300 bux. You buy it before you ask questions. The price will go back up once Panasonic get rip off all the inventories. And GF3 will not keep its value as well as the GF2 due to its ugly ass look.

Gabyskra

Banned
There are no true rangefinders, the closest thing you will find in spirit will be the Fuji X100 (fixed lens) and the NEX-7 with a built in EVF.

NEX system has great cameras but poor selection of lenses
Panasonic - most reasonably priced of the bunch and OK selection of lenses
Olympus - lenses can be expensive but they are cross compatible with Pansonics (a few quirks to be read up on though)

Honestly I'm waiting to see if Panasonic releases a better top tier model that uses a better sensor but at the same time I'm waiting to see if Fuji's upcoming LX10 will be the godsend we all hope for.

The X100 and Nex-7 are not micro4/3, they're APS-C.

Panasonic bodies are also compatible with Olympus lenses, it goes both way. Panasonic makes the 20mm 1.7 which is the best micro4/3 lens for under 400$ (other great ones being the 25mm 1.4, the Oly 12mm and the Oly 45mm).

It's really about identifying needs, and I feel like the LX10 will answer the needs of about everyone... for a very expensive price. Until Fuji produces a 23mm f2 pancake lens for it, I don't think I'll "upgrade" from my x100.

$300 is a great price for the GF2. My $900 Olympus EP3 actually has a modified version of the same 12 megapixel sensor. If you do pick it up I highly recommend getting it with any of the fast primes now available for the micro 4/3 system.

I have the Pany 14mm f/2.5 and 25mm f/1.4 and the Oly 45mm f/1.8. In 35mm terms this gives me a wide angle 28mm, standard 50mm and a portrait 90mm set. On the other hand you could simply get the 20mm f/1.7 and be set with a fast wide normal pancake.

giga

Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it!

I definitely plan on selling off the kit lens and picking up a pancake/prime. I use my Sigma 30mm on the Canon 40D 95% of the time. I can get a NEX-3 with their 16mm pancake for 400. Their full size APS-C sensor is temping me, but I'm not sure how good that lens (or their other pancakes) are.

How is the AF speed on the GF2 and NEX-3? Compared to a regular dslr. That's one of my main gripes with regular cameras that I can never come to terms with.

giga

I've been reading up on what Panasonic did to the GF series with the GF3. What a damn shame. What were they (and Nikon) thinking…

yeah the whole progression from gf1 to the gf3 was a huge disappointment. i love my gf1 though, and i think the gx1 is a step back in the right direction

Zyzyxxz

yeah the whole progression from gf1 to the gf3 was a huge disappointment. i love my gf1 though, and i think the gx1 is a step back in the right direction

yeah but so far I don't really see what is really special about it.

The new fast zoom 14-35 and 35-100 lenses coming out are going to be weather sealed yet there is no weather sealed body from Panasonic yet so I guess there is still one more up-market model yet to come.

giga

Perfect combo for me would be a NEX body with a Micro 4/3 lens. The 20mm 1.7 pancake is nearly perfect for me but I can't find any good substitute lens for the NEX system around that focal length, aperture, and price.

Make it happen Sony! No point for me to invest in an APS-C body if I can't take advantage of it with a decent but reasonably priced prime.

tino

Banned
^^^ Cheap out the Korean option.

yeah but so far I don't really see what is really special about it.

The new fast zoom 14-35 and 35-100 lenses coming out are going to be weather sealed yet there is no weather sealed body from Panasonic yet so I guess there is still one more up-market model yet to come.

GX1 doesn't have EVF so it should at least have a flip screen, (or some other feature to counter the flip screen on the NEX-5)

dantehemi

i have asked the question of "which camera should i get" before. i cant find the page that it is posted on. and at that time i wasnt ready to buy.

however i have come into $800 that i am willing to spend on a camera, and would love to have one bought by the weekend.

this is a hobby i have been really looking forward to getting into for some time now, and i am going to also take some lessons at the local henrys camera store.

not really knowing what i need, what would be a good camera for a beginner, i have heard alot of good things about the cannon T3i, is this my best option? what about these mirrorless cameras im hearing about lately (pentax, sony nex) how do they compare to dslr's?

thanks for all your advice, and i hope to have a brand new camera by the time the weekend is over.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
i have asked the question of "which camera should i get" before. i cant find the page that it is posted on. and at that time i wasnt ready to buy.

however i have come into $800 that i am willing to spend on a camera, and would love to have one bought by the weekend.

this is a hobby i have been really looking forward to getting into for some time now, and i am going to also take some lessons at the local henrys camera store.

not really knowing what i need, what would be a good camera for a beginner, i have heard alot of good things about the cannon T3i, is this my best option? what about these mirrorless cameras im hearing about lately (pentax, sony nex) how do they compare to dslr's?

thanks for all your advice, and i hope to have a brand new camera by the time the weekend is over.

Um, are you really really sure about this?

Everyone makes mistakes in life. I have made my fair share, but in a short time I will be officially bankrupt.

You'll need to bear in mind it isn't just the camera that costs money, you'll be wanting to spend a bunch on lenses and gizmos as well (judging by your post in the bankruptcy thread - but it isn't just you, most everybody does!). So, like about half or less of the money you've got coming should be allocated to the camera, which is kind of putting you out of the range of brand-new DSLRs anyway - or close to it. But there's no shame and no problem in kicking off with second-hand kit a lot cheaper (and it does come a lot cheaper at the entry end because models change so often).

Might be useful to get a bit more specific about what you want to use the camera for?

EDIT: Amazing - multiquote works across threads. Yay!

dantehemi

Um, are you really really sure about this?

You'll need to bear in mind it isn't just the camera that costs money, you'll be wanting to spend a bunch on lenses and gizmos as well (judging by your post in the bankruptcy thread - but it isn't just you, most everybody does!). So, like about half or less of the money you've got coming should be allocated to the camera, which is kind of putting you out of the range of brand-new DSLRs anyway - or close to it. But there's no shame and no problem in kicking off with second-hand kit a lot cheaper (and it does come a lot cheaper at the entry end because models change so often).

Might be useful to get a bit more specific about what you want to use the camera for?

EDIT: Amazing - multiquote works across threads. Yay!

Oh and I think I would be using the camera mostly taking family pictures, and some scenery and car pics.

Yeah I hear what your saying about the lenses and gizmos and all that, the money was given to me by a family member with the sole purpose of buying a camera (always talking at family functions about wanting to get into this hobby) I think it was a pity gift, but I'll take it lol.

I wouldn't be opposed to second hand, what kinda models would be good?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oh and I think I would be using the camera mostly taking family pictures, and some scenery and car pics.

Yeah I hear what your saying about the lenses and gizmos and all that, the money was given to me by a family member with the sole purpose of buying a camera (always talking at family functions about wanting to get into this hobby) I think it was a pity gift, but I'll take it lol.

I wouldn't be opposed to second hand, what kinda models would be good?

I recognise I'm presuming a lot here, but I'll give it a go anyway - please don't get too offended, it's not like I'm trying to be offensive or anything.

Sounds to me like what you'd be best with is one of the superzoom compacts. Like, say the Canon Powershot series. These are coming with like 1-12 megapixels these days which are plenty enough for serious hobbying and family/friends/landscape stuff. I've just had a couple of friends go around South Africa on a motorbike with one of these and they scame up with some wonderful shots that they'd have never taken if thay had to pull a big camera out of a bag.

And there's plenty of scope for doing more interesting stuff too, and for picking up and experimenting with all the different options/settings. Took me a few years to work out what the heck was going on with the controls, but it helped before I picked up a DSLR earlier this year.

Do feel free to PM with queries (though if they are camera-technical-type questions I am probably not the best guy to ask)

Gabyskra

Banned

I will strongly disagree with the previous post in which someone tells you to buy a compact.

Go for a T2i and a 50mm 1.8 lens. There's nothing like the feeling of looking through a reflex viewfinder to learn the ropes of composition. The 50mm will allow you to experiment with out of focus blur (good for portraits). Don't bother with compact as it might even discourage you if things are too dumbed down. Just be willing to read a bit, and watch some youtube videos to understand exposure/aperture/iso (it's not too hard). If you don't want to use a camera as a point and shoot, don't buy a point and shoot camera even if it has advanced options. It's also about ergonomics, picture quality and usage flexibility over long term.

If you go the compact route, get a micro 4/3 camera, or the x100 with extra money. Forget about the Canon S100 and the like, they're good cameras, but they're not suited to your needs, they're more of a secondary camera for enthusiasts who have a DSLR.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I will strongly disagree with the previous post in which someone tells you to buy a compact.
{/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, that wasn't telling dantehemi to do anything, just suggesting what might be appropriate in the circumstances to trim the expectations down a bit.

And OK, the bankruptcy legislation might not be exactly the same wherever he is , but generally you'll be OK with a gift for a specific purpose, but might not be OK with buying additional lenses/lighting/gizmos etc for your own purposes and at the potential expense of creditors.

Which is why I'm suggesting an all-in-one camera for now. Maybe if I get more information I'll give diferent advice,

Seth C

And she can buy new lenses pretty readily if she wants later?

If she wants, she can even buy a cheap converter and use almost any old manual focus lens she wants. Some of them are fantastic glass and very cheap. I just bought an awesome Minolta Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 for $44 on ebay.

I'm looking at investing in a Hasselblad, as i've always wanted to get into Medium Format, and i've always lusted after Hasselblads.

Anyone know of a good point to start with them? I'm only just now starting to seriously research which model will suit me, pros and cons etc. Ebay has 500 series cameras for around $1000 to $1800, which seems reasonable for the quality of the camera. I take it lenses are expensive, but i'd like to get as much out of a single lens for a while anyway whilst learning the camera. 80mm seems to be the standard on these.

I shoot a lot of 35mm, but is MF hard to find these days? Hard to get processed? I'm moving to the USA, otherwise i'd set up a B&W processing room in a house here in Australia, but won't have the time.

Just look at these beauties!

Hasselblad-500-Classic-1990-1992.jpg

East Lake

I'm looking at investing in a Hasselblad, as i've always wanted to get into Medium Format, and i've always lusted after Hasselblads.

Anyone know of a good point to start with them? I'm only just now starting to seriously research which model will suit me, pros and cons etc. Ebay has 500 series cameras for around $1000 to $1800, which seems reasonable for the quality of the camera. I take it lenses are expensive, but i'd like to get as much out of a single lens for a while anyway whilst learning the camera. 80mm seems to be the standard on these.

I shoot a lot of 35mm, but is MF hard to find these days? Hard to get processed? I'm moving to the USA, otherwise i'd set up a B&W processing room in a house here in Australia, but won't have the time.

Just look at these beauties!

http://jackbaty.com/files/2011/06/Hasselblad-500-Classic-1990-1992.jpg
There's a timeline of the V series on this page you can look at. There's other sites out there with similar info too.

I don't think you have to get anywhere near 1800 unless you want a pristine camera. I bought my 501C setup from KEH at bargain prices and I think it was around 1000 or so. There can be some cosmetic wear but the optics and functions will be fine. I think most people start with the 500c/m. Just make sure your lens and body have caps included or you buy them separately, and also make sure you buy a body with a finder or you get a finder yourself. I think certain bodies might pair with specific A12 backs as well, but I can't remember if that's true.

An 80mm CF T* + 500c/m or 501C + A12 back would be a solid setup.

MF isn't hard to get processed. There's some areas that will charge more than they should but there's always options. You might have to buy the film you like online though.

GuessWho

I have an olympus e-420 dslr, which I still love but i'm wondering if I should get new lenses. I have the stock 14-45mm, does any one have experience with the 25mm pancake lens? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

Go for a T2i and a 50mm 1.8 lens. There's nothing like the feeling of looking through a reflex viewfinder to learn the ropes of composition. The 50mm will allow you to experiment with out of focus blur (good for portraits). Don't bother with compact as it might even discourage you if things are too dumbed down. Just be willing to read a bit, and watch some youtube videos to understand exposure/aperture/iso (it's not too hard). If you don't want to use a camera as a point and shoot, don't buy a point and shoot camera even if it has advanced options. It's also about ergonomics, picture quality and usage flexibility over long term.

If you go the compact route, get a micro 4/3 camera, or the x100 with extra money. Forget about the Canon S100 and the like, they're good cameras, but they're not suited to your needs, they're more of a secondary camera for enthusiasts who have a DSLR.
Would you happen to have any YouTube videos or suggested books to read? I recently picked up the T2i with those lenses and am still trying to figure out how to use it well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If she wants, she can even buy a cheap converter and use almost any old manual focus lens she wants. Some of them are fantastic glass and very cheap. I just bought an awesome Minolta Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 for $44 on ebay.

Her and I are going to have to start learning about lenses and what they all do. I'm excited for her to be honest, but I also can't wait to play with it myself once she opens it and starts dicking around with it.

There's a timeline of the V series on this page you can look at. There's other sites out there with similar info too.

I don't think you have to get anywhere near 1800 unless you want a pristine camera. I bought my 501C setup from KEH at bargain prices and I think it was around 1000 or so. There can be some cosmetic wear but the optics and functions will be fine. I think most people start with the 500c/m. Just make sure your lens and body have caps included or you buy them separately, and also make sure you buy a body with a finder or you get a finder yourself. I think certain bodies might pair with specific A12 backs as well, but I can't remember if that's true.

An 80mm CF T* + 500c/m or 501C + A12 back would be a solid setup.

MF isn't hard to get processed. There's some areas that will charge more than they should but there's always options. You might have to buy the film you like online though.

Thanks for that!

Thraktor

Thanks for that!

Good advice above. What I would add is to take into account the cost of developing/printing/scanning to disc, which can be quite a bit more expensive with medium format than 35mm on a per-photo basis. If you're planning on shooting with it quite a lot, I'd advise getting the equipment to develop the film yourself at home (which doesn't require a dedicated darkroom, just a room that you can make dark), and getting a decent scanner to scan them in yourself. You can then go through your shots on a computer and get prints done only for the shots you really want prints of, or if you're a member of a photography club with a darkroom you can do the prints yourself as well. It'll save a lot of money in the long run compared to getting everything done by the local camera shop.

Prez

All manual? Pentax K1000, KX, KM ; all electric, Nikon F90x/N90s. Also somebody is selling at the top of this page.

Actually, are there any film cameras that closely resemble the look of color photos from the 40s and 50s? Some examples here. I know those photos benefit from a hightech scanner but are there any film cameras that resemble the look? Could I find something like that for €500 ($650) or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom