• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Instigator said:
Yes, NEX with native lenses can be ridicuously bulky. A glaring flaw since its introduction.

But is that all you're trying to say?

I wasn't trying to say anything. I was just drooling on the toys.

But now that you mentioned it. Here is my point: Sony has done a very lousy job designing the NEX lenses. APS lenses can be made much smaller. Just take a look at the collection of lenses Samsung release for NX system in just one year.

There are better mirrorless or rangefinder solutions out there or coming out soon. NEX system is popular among the enthusasts becuase the bodies are really good for adapting other lenses. Sony better announce a good travel zoom and a couple wide angle pancake soon if they want me to buy a NEX body again.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
jiji said:

Its.... beautiful. My love affair with the NEX-7 passed about a month ago. I hope this Fuji plays well with retrofocus Rangefinder lenses.

tino said:
Both the Fuji and the Leica are pretty much the same size. I would say slightly more pocketable than the NEX combo.

Amazing feat with the Leica Summilux 35/1.4. Expensive as hell but I think it would be the only lens in that focal length one would ever need.

NEX lenses are kind of obscene.

From the Fuji LX rumor comments:

My photo finisher mentioned it to me Friday. He is a Fuji distributor, the Fuji rep told him, the model is the Fuji LX, APS-C sensor, 3 lenses to start with – from the Chinese website, it appears to be an 18mm f/2, a 35mm 1f/1.4 and a 60mm something and the body will be priced @ 1,400.

18mm f/2... I guess that's how they plan to keep this new camera and the X100 from cannibalizing each other's sales. I really just want a 35mm f/2 equivalent, so maybe I'll go for the X100 after all.

Zyzyxxz

$1400? Seems to be awfully close in price to the X100. Then again X100 comes with a lens and that is probably body price.

Shit better start saving! I wonder what kind of mount it will use...

tino

Banned
According to the guys who posted these leaked photos there are 3 lenses, 18mm 2.0 35mm 1.4 and a 60mm. Looks like this is APS-C not 1.3X :( Oh well at lease its more affordable with an APS-C sensor.

Reading the thread on xitek that originally leaked the photos is both hilarious and sad at the same time. The guy realized he left the time and cellphone exif info on the photos. So he was begging the mods to delete the photos and then people started giving him ass backward ideas to get rip of the cellphone.

Gabyskra

Banned
1400 for the body alone? Man, I hope the 35mm 1.4 is going to be adequately priced cos that's the killer combo, but I'm pretty sure it'll be more than 2000$. I just love the x100, and I'm not sure how I feel about this interchangeable lenses camera: it does not look as good, buttons on the back seem less practical, it does not have a 23mm (35 on ff) lens... Upgrading does not seem that obvious now.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
35/1.4 is a nice well rounded focal length for APS-C. Not as encompassing as 35mm on FF but still great normal look going for it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
looks like I may be leaning towards a canon 60D. As awesome as a 7D would be I can't justify double the price for the body alone. :/

those mirror less 35mm equivs are starting to look hot. Can't wait to see the space evolve in the next few years.

elsk

Banned
Art Teitlebaum said:
Short answer: Yes, it's absolutely sufficient if you want to learn about photography. You could even choose a cheaper camera, because as a rule of thumb it is always recommended to buy cheap bodys and better glass instead.
To achieve artistic abilities you don't need all the bells and whistles the more expensive bodies have. It's the indian that is shooting, not the arrow. ;-)

Thanks for the answer :)

Ken

What's a good way to take a camera on a flight? I recently bought my first DSLR along with a second lens and a carrying bag. The carrying bag is a little too big for me to take on the plane with the carry on limit though. Is there any kind of protection for it if I want to put my camera and lenses in my bag pack (that also has my laptop).

I thought about wearing it on my neck at least into the airport, but not for the entire flight.

I have a Lowepro sling that I carry on as my 'personal' bag on flights; it goes underneath the seat in front of me. The I put my large carry-on bag I the overhead bin. I'm not aware of any carriers that don't allow 1 carry-on bag plus another personal bag.

Ken

Valkyr Junkie said:
I have a Lowepro sling that I carry on as my 'personal' bag on flights; it goes underneath the seat in front of me. The I put my large carry-on bag I the overhead bin. I'm not aware of any carriers that don't allow 1 carry-on bag plus another personal bag.

I actually already have one carry-on, a suitcase with clothes and some other things, and one personal bag, my backpack with my laptop. I was hoping that there was some kind of protective case or shell I could put my camera in and put it in my backpack.

nitewulf

wow, now everyone is coming out with a mirrorless system? damn. i was out of teh scene for a bit, and was shocked to see the Nikon J1 at best buy. seems like Canon has some catching up to do.

Zyzyxxz

nitewulf said:
wow, now everyone is coming out with a mirrorless system? damn. i was out of teh scene for a bit, and was shocked to see the Nikon J1 at best buy. seems like Canon has some catching up to do.

Canon ain't gonna do one or else they cannabalize their DSLR entry level sales.

The Nikon V1 is nice with a decent EVF but sensor sucks. Right now I'm putting my hopes that the Fuji LX10 is what I want.

nitewulf

i've been on the GH1 bandwagon from launch...the panasonic system is great. and you can add as many old leica, zeiss lenses as you want.

Pachimari

Currently I don't have any camera other than my iPhone 4 and in fact I have never had a DSLR, only a Sony digital camera some years ago. But I have always and still is interested in getting one of the most advanced and best cameras out there, can that be done with a budget of around $2.800?

I have always preferred Canon and that's what my father has, which I have played around with on vacation. I really want to take beautiful and flawless photographies here in Denmark and when I travel. I have been to Amsterdam, Rome, Lübeck, Malmö, Oslo, Philippines, Hong Kong etc, but currently I don't have that many nor professional photos, just a few. I'm looking to do a little studio as well, doing modeling shots, so I need different lenses as well right?

So I would really like to buy one, maybe with accessories?

EDIT: Reading a few of the posts, it seems like Canon is playing catch-up, so anything would do probably, I just want it to be magnificent and professional. Besides, it doesn't have to be me that's already out, it can be one which is coming out next year as well.

tino

Banned
Anastacio said:
Currently I don't have any camera other than my iPhone 4 and in fact I have never had a DSLR, only a Sony digital camera some years ago. But I have always and still is interested in getting one of the most advanced and best cameras out there, can that be done with a budget of around $2.800?

I have always preferred Canon and that's what my father has, which I have played around with on vacation. I really want to take beautiful and flawless photographies here in Denmark and when I travel. I have been to Amsterdam, Rome, Lübeck, Malmö, Oslo, Philippines, Hong Kong etc, but currently I don't have that many nor professional photos, just a few. I'm looking to do a little studio as well, doing modeling shots, so I need different lenses as well right?

EDIT: Reading a few of the posts, it seems like Canon is playing catch-up, so anything would do probably, I just want it to be magnificent and professional.

You probably can get a mint or new 5DII + 24-120mm L combo with that money. That's about the best combo you can get for that kind of money. Nikon haven't dropped the price of D700 yet so its not a good time to buy Nikon FF.

Remember photography is 70% skill and 30% equipment. Nowadays the 70% skill includes post processing skill.

Anastacio said:

EDIT: Reading a few of the posts, it seems like Canon is playing catch-up, so anything would do probably, I just want it to be magnificent and professional.

How important is compactness for a camera when you travel? I like to travel light so I'd go mirrorless, but I've seen plenty of tourists with DSLRs so that's not a hard rule. Canon 5DII is full frame so it has amazing image quality, but it's a bit of a bulky camera. Shooting with prime lenses can help keep the overall size down though. For instance the 5DII with a Voigtlander 40mm F2 pancake would fit your budget and might be manageable while traveling, if you don't mind the fixed focal length and manual focus.

Pachimari

tino said:
You probably can get a mint or new 5DII + 24-120mm L combo with that money. That's about the best combo you can get for that kind of money. Nikon haven't dropped the price of D700 yet so its not a good time to buy Nikon FF.

Remember photography is 70% skill and 30% equipment. Nowadays the 70% skill includes post processing skill.
I'm checking it out, found a video review of CameraLabs.com.
It does seem to have a lot of functions and settings and shooting great photographies and videoes no doubt.

chaostrophy said:
How important is compactness for a camera when you travel? I like to travel light so I'd go mirrorless, but I've seen plenty of tourists with DSLRs so that's not a hard rule. Canon 5DII is full frame so it has amazing image quality, but it's a bit of a bulky camera. Shooting with prime lenses can help keep the overall size down though. For instance the 5DII with a Voigtlander 40mm F2 pancake would fit your budget and might be manageable while traveling, if you don't mind the fixed focal length and manual focus.
I don't think compactness would be that important? If I can get a bag with the camera and lenses in the airplane along with an iPad and some small stuff, then that would be fine.

To be honest, I don't even understand the "40mm F2" and "24-120mm L" you guys are talking about in lenses, but that's where I guess I have to read up on it. As said, I haven't had a DSLR before, but the Canon 5D Mark II seems like a great camera.

Which companies uses the SD cards? I see Canon still uses CF. =)

Zyzyxxz

Anastacio said:
I'm checking it out, found a video review of CameraLabs.com.
It does seem to have a lot of functions and settings and shooting great photographies and videoes no doubt.

I don't think compactness would be that important? If I can get a bag with the camera and lenses in the airplane along with an iPad and some small stuff, then that would be fine.

To be honest, I don't even understand the "40mm F2" and "24-120mm L" you guys are talking about in lenses, but that's where I guess I have to read up on it. As said, I haven't had a DSLR before, but the Canon 5D Mark II seems like a great camera.

Which companies uses the SD cards? I see Canon still uses CF. =)

Yes the 5D mk2 is a great camera but its too much for a beginner to justify the price, just because you can afford the best doesn't mean you should go for it. Lenses keep their value but bodies do not. I would rather recommend you get a 60D or a Nikon D7000 at most. Just because you buy a 5D doesn't mean you will take great pics.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Anastacio said:

EDIT: Reading a few of the posts, it seems like Canon is playing catch-up, so anything would do probably, I just want it to be magnificent and professional. Besides, it doesn't have to be me that's already out, it can be one which is coming out next year as well.

Studio depends on your style. I know some guys that shoot with primes, some that shoot with telephoto (need a big studio) and some that mix and match. I do all my studio work with a 24-105 F/4 L. It does what I need. I'd mix another lens in there if I had the money, but I really don't need it really.

For studio and model shooting lights are going to be more expensive. For full studio you are going to want 3-5 strobes, light stands and modifers (softboxes, umbellas, beauty dish, etc.). Maybe throw in a reflector also (or cheap foam board). If you are shooting from your own place you need backdrops, props, backdrop stand, etc.

For studio lighting > lens > camera body. Don't get too hung up on equipment though, some of the better professionals I know don't shoot with expensive, great stuff. I know a guy with a $40k camera and big bag of $2k strobe heads that takes shitty photos.

I wouldn't start out with a 5DMKII. Too expensive for someone starting out. You won't really need it at that level. I'd start out with a 60D or T3I + Kit Lens and just shoot around for a few weeks to get a feel for it. I buy new stuff when I run into some hurdle that requires something else while shooting. No need to blow all your money right away. Just put it aside and what you need will start to come to you as you shoot :)

tino

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Yes the 5D mk2 is a great camera but its too much for a beginner to justify the price, just because you can afford the best doesn't mean you should go for it. Lenses keep their value but bodies do not. I would rather recommend you get a 60D or a Nikon D7000 at most. Just because you buy a 5D doesn't mean you will take great pics.
I think the high ISO and dynamuc range 5D2 offer to a newbie over cheaper bodies can justify the cost.

Plus that's only model everybody agree on at its price range . Under 1k I bet you 1 dollar 10 different people will recommand 10 different camera. :)

Zyzyxxz said:

One thing to keep in mind though is that if you start with a crop frame, then upgrade to full frame, you won't be able to keep using a lot of your lenses...especially if you like wider angles you'll have to go with EF-S/DX lenses on crop. 5DII was my first DSLR and I don't regret the purchase at all.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
chaostrophy said:
One thing to keep in mind though is that if you start with a crop frame, then upgrade to full frame, you won't be able to keep using a lot of your lenses...especially if you like wider angles you'll have to go with EF-S/DX lenses on crop. 5DII was my first DSLR and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Nikon FX bodies will automatically go to crop mode when used with a DX lens. So you can still use your DX lenses on an FX body, you'll just have a cropped image. Given the cost and weight of FX bodies, I would definitely recommend going with a DX if this is your first DSLR. You can always invest in FX lenses in preparation for your eventual move to a full-frame camera. If you have your heart set on Canon though, this won't help you, as my understanding is they don't crop automatically and you'll get vignetting.

Zyzyxxz

I usually hear that argument that if you want to go full frame you will need to get rid of your lenses but then again how many people actually do?

If he does want to upgrade later he can always sell the lenses at what he either bought it for or for a small discount.

I just think its still way too much for a newbie and with the amazing crop sensors we have today he can still achieve amazing results with the right glass.

I'm gonna stick with a recommendation for a Nikon D7000 as it offers good compatibility with older but amazing lenses which can be used for full-frame as well.

tino

Banned
luxarific said:
Nikon FX bodies will automatically go to crop mode when used with a DX lens. So you can still use your DX lenses on an FX body, you'll just have a cropped image. Given the cost and weight of FX bodies, I would definitely recommend going with a DX if this is your first DSLR. You can always invest in FX lenses in preparation for your eventual move to a full-frame camera. If you have your heart set on Canon though, this won't help you, as my understanding is they don't crop automatically and you'll get vignetting.

You won't be able to use EFS lenses on full frame Canon bodies at all. The mirror will hit the ass of the lens.

In other news, this hardcore Nikon fan paid a visit to Nikon Thailand factory by boat.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1039&message=39845010

There's no such thing as "too much" camera, especially when it's a baseline full-frame DSLR (we're not talking high-end pro models). The only thing that should keep him from diving in with a used 5DmkI or something is if he has any question about his commitment to the hobby. If you know you're in it for the long haul, you'll save money by buying what you want to begin with.

Seth C

I just picked up a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 for my G3. Can't wait to get it and take some photos. In the meantime here are two I took last night with the kit lens.

MbR9Tl.jpg

9P3VEl.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
ordered my 60D today. Best Buy gave me 700 +tax credit back on my XTi that they couldn't repair (under the extended warranty), and the 60D body was on sale on line so it was only about 150 more :)

early christmas

Gabyskra

Banned
ordered my 60D today. Best Buy gave me 700 +tax credit back on my XTi that they couldn't repair (under the extended warranty), and the 60D body was on sale on line so it was only about 150 more :)

early christmas

Oh man that's awesome. That makes me hope that my x100 fails in a couple years.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

early christmas

Awesome camera. It's what I've been shooting with the past year. Have fun with it :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Any recommendations for memory cards? I need two, looking for a good deal. I got a Nikon D7000.

mr stroke

Can anyone here recommend the least expensive half decent DSLR?

Its a gift for someone that uses only an iPhone camera, but wants something better. Something around the $450-$600 mark(if that even exists?)

JORMBO

Darkness no more

olbareun

Its a gift for someone that uses only an iPhone camera, but wants something better. Something around the $450-$600 mark(if that even exists?)

nex3 or gf1 are good too if mirror isn't a requirement :p

tino

Banned

Here is a red NEX-3 kit you can buy for 400 bux

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product....urce=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=cpc&tab=descript

$475 with the zoom lens.

Samsung is dumping its NX100 mirrorless body NX100, you can find one new with the zoom lens for ridiculously cheap $340 price

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Samsung-NX1...3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5648&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Zyzyxxz

I didn't see this posted but I may have missed it.

I don't own a Nikon but some folk might be interested in this rumoured new D800.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/11/19/ladies-and-gentleman-i-present-to-you-the-nikon-d800.aspx/

Found on Engadget... (via The Verge -> nikonrumors).

Pretty crazy but the rumored price is in the high $3K while the D700 was in the low $2k.

If that is true, since the D7000 moved up price from the D90, does that mean the D400 will go full frame and hit $2000?

Zinga

Banned
Bought myself a Nikon D5100, loving it so far, never had such a nice camera ever.... I am going overseas at the end of the year so hoping to great some amazing shots with it!

And FD to NEX adapter will work for you nex camera. I have the exact same lens and I just jumped online and got the cheapest adapter I could find.

Sure enough it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom