• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Lake

Good advice above. What I would add is to take into account the cost of developing/printing/scanning to disc, which can be quite a bit more expensive with medium format than 35mm on a per-photo basis. If you're planning on shooting with it quite a lot, I'd advise getting the equipment to develop the film yourself at home (which doesn't require a dedicated darkroom, just a room that you can make dark), and getting a decent scanner to scan them in yourself. You can then go through your shots on a computer and get prints done only for the shots you really want prints of, or if you're a member of a photography club with a darkroom you can do the prints yourself as well. It'll save a lot of money in the long run compared to getting everything done by the local camera shop.
Yeah a scanner is definitely needed for MF. Another option for a darkroom is a changing bag/tent. They're very convenient. Printfile also makes storage sheets that are great for organizing negatives/positives.

@Stabbie - That's old large format film. There's nothing that looks like it today without some serious processing work. You can search flickr for example shots of current film types.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The NEX-5n/c3 have the best sensor/IQ, they are on par with $1000 DSLRs.
However the lens system is pretty pathetic. I recommend for old lens shooters.
There's some good lenses for it now, most notably Zeiss 24mm, but it's really expensive. The default zoom lens is perfectly fine for general use IMO. I think also 5n or 7 has made some big advances in autofocus speeds and elimination of corner blurring.

tino

Banned
Actually, are there any film cameras that closely resemble the look of color photos from the 40s and 50s? Some examples here. I know those photos benefit from a hightech scanner but are there any film cameras that resemble the look? Could I find something like that for €500 ($650) or less?
Those are just good photography. You can't get a camera with a "good photo" buttons on it no matter how much money you spend.

You can however start looking into medium format cameras from the 50s and 60s. A lot of them still function very well.

Hmm... using search I found the photography thread before this one for some reason. I was asking for some advice on a new point and shoot for the wife.

Amazon is selling the Fujifilm S505 for $200. Is this a must-buy or should I be looking at something else in the $100-$200 range? Thanks.

tino

Banned
Its a good upper middle tier point and shoot. Fuji usually have pretty good value for the money.

You should have brought the $290 GF2 kit though.

Prez

Those are just good photography. You can't get a camera with a "good photo" buttons on it no matter how much money you spend.

You can however start looking into medium format cameras from the 50s and 60s. A lot of them still function very well.

Thanks. There's something about those photos that makes it quite different from professional photos today. You can immediately tell from the look of those photos that they're from a different time period.

Is it possible to find a professional camera from the 50s or 60s for under $500?

tino

Banned
Thanks. There's something about those photos that makes it quite different from professional photos today. You can immediately tell from the look of those photos that they're from a different time period.

Is it possible to find a professional camera from the 50s or 60s for under $500?

I actually did some reserch after I posted that reply. Twin lens camera seem to be popular at the time.

You can get a highend Germany Rollieflex for around 600-900 in reputable used shops like Adorama or whatever the UK equivalent is. People in the 50s 60s were using one time used flash ligh bulb. Keep in mind for analogue film photography, there are film processing, and scanning cost.

However I am not a medium format shooter this is the extend of information I can give you. I am sure somebody else in this thread can help you with that.

Prez

I actually did some reserch after I posted that reply. Twin lens camera seem to be popular at the time.

You can get a highend Germany Rollieflex for around 600-900 in reputable used shops like Adorama or whatever the UK equivalent is. People in the 50s 60s were using one time used flash ligh bulb. Keep in mind for analogue film photography, there are film processing, and scanning cost.

However I am not a medium format shooter this is the extend of information I can give you. I am sure somebody else in this thread can help you with that.

Those look awesome. The Rolleiflex T is being sold for €400 where I live. I love the look of those photos.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any experience with these Rokinon discount lenses?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LTXQUE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I normally wouldn't consider something like this for my lens, but I want to play around with a fisheye with out spending 700-1000 out of the gate.

I want to try to make some HDRI image based lighting maps for 3D rendering, but I also just want to have some fun with a fisheye too.

Zyzyxxz

I normally wouldn't consider something like this for my lens, but I want to play around with a fisheye with out spending 700-1000 out of the gate.

I want to try to make some HDRI image based lighting maps for 3D rendering, but I also just want to have some fun with a fisheye too.

I have been reading that they make great lenses, their 85 mm 1.4 is pretty amazing from what I've seen the only thing is manual focus only.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

All of them are real good from a cost to performance ratio. In some cases its heavily weighed in performance (like the 85/1.4). Some have large drawbacks though (like the 14/2.8 which has very strong distortion). The 85/1.4 is an absolute gem though. If you buy any of them just realize that their QC is not as good as Nikon or Canon so the likely hood of getting a lemon is higher with this manufacturer.

tokkun

Actually, that fisheye lens is considered by many to be better than the $700-1000 competitors. It also seems to be on sale, since Amazon usually sells it for $30 more.

However, one thing you might want to consider is that the manufacturer just announced last Friday that they were going to start producing a newer version of the Nikon mount flavor of this lens that has a chip to allow for automatic metering and electronic control of the aperture. I see that you linked to the Canon version, but I suspect that a chipped lens for Canon mounts will be forthcoming. I am personally holding off on buying the old version to see if they produce a chipped version for A-Mount too.

BlueTsunami

After seeing that 500px thread about HDR and what not I want to get a circular polarizer for my Rebel XS. Any suggestions?

B+W or Hoya should be good. Just make sure you don't skimp since the IQ of a lens is determined by its weakest link which usually turns out to be filters.

tino

Banned
Are Samyang and Rokinon the same company? I don't understand this brand(s). Are they running on the Chinese/Russian cheap ass platform or Cosina/Vivitar style of very hit-and-miss value brand platform.

Their lenses are cheap yet the specification they are shooting for are all high end stuff; they also sell their lenses on the weirdest retail channel (ebay) so you get the impression the company is already out of business.

I am planning to get the 85mm/1.4 btw.

Alucrid

Banned
B+W or Hoya should be good. Just make sure you don't skimp since the IQ of a lens is determined by its weakest link which usually turns out to be filters.

Hah, I'm not too great of a photographer to begin with so the last thing I need are equipment issues messing with the picture. :lol

Although that said, a B+W is only 83, so it's taken. Thanks for the help.

BlueTsunami

Are Samyang and Rokinon the same company? I don't understand this brand(s). Are they running on the Chinese/Russian cheap ass platform or Cosina/Vivitar style of very hit-and-miss value brand platform.

Their lenses are cheap yet the specification they are shooting for are all high end stuff; they also sell their lenses on the weirdest retail channel (ebay) so you get the impression the company is already out of business.

I don't understand the branding quirks either but Samyang seems to be the actual company that makes these lenses. They're also sold as Phoenix lenses too. I wonder if they license out the design and these different entities make it themselves or something (or maybe its a region thing?).

As far as the lenses they provide, here are great threads devoted to the stars of their lineup...

Samyang 14/2.8
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1056192

Samyang 35/1.4
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1017831

Samyang 85/1.4
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/941350

There's also a rumor that they'll be releasing their own 24/1.4 at some point.

The standout is definitely the 85/1.4. Its class leading as far as wide open performance (lack of Spherical Aberrations which gives it snap and great contrast). It's reported as not being as strong stopped down there (where the more expensive lenses are more balanced in this regard). Its biggest strength is its amazingly smooth bokeh. My only issue with it (from what I've seen) is that it doesn't have that nice bite the high end Nikkor, Canon and Zeiss 85mm's give as far as small detail. Tonally it can look a little flat too but people obviously tend to prefer this look for portraiture.

tokkun

Are Samyang and Rokinon the same company?

Yes.

I don't understand this brand(s). Are they running on the Chinese/Russian cheap ass platform or Cosina/Vivitar style of very hit-and-miss value brand platform.

They also sell their lenses under the Vivitar brand. More confused?

High-end specs, but no frills and weak quality control. That summarizes the brand. Good for power users who are willing to deal with some hassles to save a lot of money.

Gabyskra

Banned
Debating if I want to buy the 70-200 2.8 MKII now. It's under 2 grand on B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&Ntt=SHCA7020028L&A=endecaSearch&N=0&Q

Shit, that's affordable. In France, it's easily over 2600 dollars (on Amazon)...

But personally, I would only buy it if I was doing sports photography or stitched landscapes. I just wouldn't carry such a heavy lens around. The IQ is exceptional, it might be the very best lens there is IMO, but its uses are too professional minded. What would it allow you to do that a much lighter 135 L does not? I know the possibilities, just asking you, what would you see yourself doing with it?

Add a big bottle of water (1.5 liter) in your camera bag, and see how you feel!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Shit, that's affordable. In France, it's easily over 2600 dollars (on Amazon)...

But personally, I would only buy it if I was doing sports photography or stitched landscapes. I just wouldn't carry such a heavy lens around. The IQ is exceptional, it might be the very best lens there is IMO, but its uses are too professional minded. What would it allow you to do that a much lighter 135 L does not? I know the possibilities, just asking you, what would you see yourself doing with it?

Add a big bottle of water (1.5 liter) in your camera bag, and see how you feel!

I'd be using it for outdoor model shoots and a bit of studio shooting.

I've been using my 24-105 f/4L for everything. It's nice, but I like the bokeh on the 70-200 2.8 better outdoors. I have a friend who's shot some similar stuff and I like his shots better based on that. Not to mention I'm going to do a lot of beach shooting this summer. I hate how the 24-105 lens pops out a bit when zooming. I always cringe as I'm trying to vacuum out sand. 70-200 is better sealed from what I understand since it doesn't zoom out.

Plus having a lens with more reach would be nice. It's hard choice since it's so expensive.

Damaged

Anybody here ever use a Gorilla pod? I'm off to Berlin in the new year and don't fancy hauling a tripod about the city, only thing that's confusing me is all the different versions. Im using a Nikon D3100 mainly with a 35mm lens but occasionally a 55-200mm so I figure the SLR Gorilla pod should be fine right?

On the other hand I have seen this one: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/82305/show.html and I like the levelling bubble on it but I'm not sure how it will cope with the weight of the camera

Damaged

Yeah, love mine. Go by the weight of your setup vs what the particular model is designed for. The one with the ball-head you linked to is designed for loads at or below 1 kg.

D3100 is 505g, 55-200 is 335g, so you should be OK.

Nice one :) will pick one up then, thanks for the help.

Gabyskra

Banned
That 85mm/1.4 is very appealing price wise

I don't think focussing manually is too big a deal on wide angle lenses... But on a 85 mm, I'd think about it twice, especially since the 85 mm 1.8 by Canon is plenty good and has fast AF. Not sure what Nikon offers. The Samyang I'm considering is the 14 mm as distortion can be easily corrected anyway.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
First of all thanks for all the responses.
Second, ooooooh multi-quote! nice :)

I have been reading that they make great lenses, their 85 mm 1.4 is pretty amazing from what I've seen the only thing is manual focus only.
I can probably deal with manual only on the 8mm, don't think I would like it on an 85mm though.

All of them are real good from a cost to performance ratio. In some cases its heavily weighed in performance (like the 85/1.4). Some have large drawbacks though (like the 14/2.8 which has very strong distortion). The 85/1.4 is an absolute gem though. If you buy any of them just realize that their QC is not as good as Nikon or Canon so the likely hood of getting a lemon is higher with this manufacturer.
perfect thanks.

Actually, that fisheye lens is considered by many to be better than the $700-1000 competitors. It also seems to be on sale, since Amazon usually sells it for $30 more.

However, one thing you might want to consider is that the manufacturer just announced last Friday that they were going to start producing a newer version of the Nikon mount flavor of this lens that has a chip to allow for automatic metering and electronic control of the aperture. I see that you linked to the Canon version, but I suspect that a chipped lens for Canon mounts will be forthcoming. I am personally holding off on buying the old version to see if they produce a chipped version for A-Mount too.
Interesting, will wait and see more. was going to put this on my christmas list, but we will see. Thanks for the heads up!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Ended up ordering the 70-200 2.8L MKII. It will be here tomorrow. Looking forward to testing it out this weekend :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well, my konica 1.4/50 lens has arrived along with nex3 adapter. Let's do this.

the only downside that it's not a light, compact camera anymore

edit: konica, not tokina

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Thanks, but can you provide a bit more info? Perhaps links to some examples? Thanks.

I assume you mean an adapter like this and a lens like this?

yes. Sorry for the delayed response. Thats the exact adapter I got, works great.

Heres some samples I took recently.

100% crops or whatever.

PB052696-2.jpg

PB052679-2.jpg

PB052673-2.jpg

to avoid double posting the originals are posted here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33120812&postcount=346

Would I need an adapter for the Samyang 85 if using a Canon 600D? I see one advertised nearby but its tagged 'Nikon'. Why is this?

I bought that lens back in September, shot a wedding video with it last month. Very happy with performance. Only thing I would do differently if I was to buy it again is make sure I got the video version with stepless aperture.

There are two versions, one that does video and one that doesn't? Also, what is stepless aperture?

Seth C

If anyone needs some old Minolta gear let me know. I definitely need to get rid of a 50mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.7. No use having two of each.

383919_882478833663_48204954_39010717_1369595671_n.jpg

There's Nikon, Sony and Canon mounts I believe. If its labeled as Nikon its probably a Nikon mount. You'd definitely want to find one with the native EF mount.

So to understand you right, I cannot use that on a Canon camera. What else do you think I'd need to know considering I'm completely new to this?

BlueTsunami

So to understand you right, I cannot use that on a Canon camera. What else do you think I'd need to know considering I'm completely new to this?

You could use that Nikon version on the Canon but generally, when adapting a lens, it makes more sense to adapt if there's no native mount for the lens you want. There's no electronic benefits to getting the native EF mount though (yet), in the case of the Samyang lenses. The reason I bring this up is due to the comfort in knowing that the lens you've purchased is manufactured with the lens mount specs of the native mount of your camera.

As to your question, new to buying off brand lenses, manual focusing or adapting?

You could use that Nikon version on the Canon but generally, when adapting a lens, it makes more sense to adapt if there's no native mount for the lens you want. There's no electronic benefits to getting the native EF mount though (yet), in the case of the Samyang lenses. The reason I bring this up is due to the comfort in knowing that the lens you've purchased is manufactured with the lens mount specs of the native mount of your camera.

As to your question, new to buying off brand lenses, manual focusing or adapting?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure know what you mean by that. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom