• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
If anyone needs some old Minolta gear let me know. I definitely need to get rid of a 50mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.7. No use having two of each.

383919_882478833663_48204954_39010717_1369595671_n.jpg

they must have given that strap out like skittles, thats the exact strap thats on my dads Minolta x700. Another friend of mine saw it and said his dads had the exact strap too. Too funny.

Ken

Yeah, love mine. Go by the weight of your setup vs what the particular model is designed for. The one with the ball-head you linked to is designed for loads at or below 1 kg.

D3100 is 505g, 55-200 is 335g, so you should be OK.

Any idea which tripods support the Canon T2i?

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
There are two versions, one that does video and one that doesn't? Also, what is stepless aperture?

All do video. Here is video of a 20mm lens that shows off stepless aperture http://vimeo.com/8914150. Basically smooth transition of the aperture blades. This allows sudden changes from light/dark to transition a little nicer.

Might of been mistaken about this specific lens, as I don't see a video centric version of the 85 1.4 listed on Samyang or Rokinons website now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Any idea which tripods support the Canon T2i?

really depends on your budget. My recommendation is to always get more tripod than you think you need because if you buy a cheap one and it sucks then you buy another less cheap one and it may be a little better then you buy another one.... all of a sudden your at the price you would have paid in the first place for a nice one.

I looked it up and the T2i weighs about 1.6lbs so when you start adding lenses figure 3lbs

the Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod would be a good option, aluminum is heavier but cheaper than the carbon fiber options. i have the carbon fiber version and it holds my panoramic camera just fine.

All do video. Here is video of a 20mm lens that shows off stepless aperture http://vimeo.com/8914150. Basically smooth transition of the aperture blades. This allows sudden changes from light/dark to transition a little nicer.

Might of been mistaken about this specific lens, as I don't see a video centric version of the 85 1.4 listed on Samyang or Rokinons website now.

Impressive. Haven't seen this listed in the specs anywhere

alterno69

Banned
So i need help.

I currently own a Nex-5 which i use for video and photos, i want to get a new camera mainly for photos but with video in mind. I'm setting up a small photo studio in my house and i want a decent camera for photo sessions in the studio and outdoors. While i really like my smal Nex it doesn't have an option for flash other than the one it comes with which is shit. I need a decent camera that supports exernal flash if i want to take decent portraits. I already bought a continuos light kit for my studio but that's not always an option outdoors.

So, would a T3i/600D be ok for a starting photographer? I know how to use cameras, but i'm on a budget cause i've already spent a lot on equipment for said studio lol. My plan is to get a decent camera now with a couple of nice lenses. 50mm 1.4 and a 17-55mm 2.8 and get a better camera next year.

The T3i is around 700 usd here in Mexico, the 60d is almost twice that so that's not an option at the moment.

I know the T3i is great for video but is it a good camera for stills? Especially for commercial work.

Thanks in advance :D

tino

Banned
So i need help.

I currently own a Nex-5 which i use for video and photos, i want to get a new camera mainly for photos but with video in mind. I'm setting up a small photo studio in my house and i want a decent camera for photo sessions in the studio and outdoors. While i really like my smal Nex it doesn't have an option for flash other than the one it comes with which is shit. I need a decent camera that supports exernal flash if i want to take decent portraits. I already bought a continuos light kit for my studio but that's not always an option outdoors.

So, would a T3i/600D be ok for a starting photographer? I know how to use cameras, but i'm on a budget cause i've already spent a lot on equipment for said studio lol. My plan is to get a decent camera now with a couple of nice lenses. 50mm 1.4 and a 17-55mm 2.8 and get a better camera next year.

The T3i is around 700 usd here in Mexico, the 60d is almost twice that so that's not an option at the moment.

I know the T3i is great for video but is it a good camera for stills? Especially for commercial work.

Thanks in advance :D

Are you serious about doing work on it? Go straight to a mid tier body. 40D 50D 60D, new or used. There is no synergy between Canon and NEX system. I would sell the NEX.

For you information there is a ghetto way to optically trigger external flash from a NEX-3/5. You can get a seagull SYK-5. There is a red eye setting you can use to ignore the NEX pre-flash.

Interesting you mentioned AF because I remember bitching about the AF on the 50mm 1.8. It was faster to focus manually!

Met a guy on the train journey home yesterday and we had a little talk about lenses. He never buys them new, he reasoned, which made me wonder if anyone else here had a laxed attitude to lenses. Personally, as long as they are in great condition with little sign of use, the lower price makes them more than worth it. I wouldn't have even considered the Canon 85mm if I was intent on getting it new, but now that I'm only searching for used models, there is a really good pool of options out there on the classifieds.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
If you could get either the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm or the Canon 85/1.8 for the same price, which would you get and why?

As giga stated, the Canon 85/1.8 has a very fast AF motor. But the beauty of the Rokinon is its performance wide open (bokeh, sharpness and lack of certain aberrations) and better experience when Manual Focusing. Of course, you can manual focus the Canon but its nowhere close to manual focusing with a lens made for it (focus throw will be longer which gives you precision and the focus ring will be dampened to give a smoother focus experience). IQ wise the Canon definitely is no slouch though.

tino

Banned
Interesting you mentioned AF because I remember bitching about the AF on the 50mm 1.8. It was faster to focus manually!

Met a guy on the train journey home yesterday and we had a little talk about lenses. He never buys them new, he reasoned, which made me wonder if anyone else here had a laxed attitude to lenses. Personally, as long as they are in great condition with little sign of use, the lower price makes them more than worth it. I wouldn't have even considered the Canon 85mm if I was intent on getting it new, but now that I'm only searching for used models, there is a really good pool of options out there on the classifieds.

I would get a the Samyang if I am a hobbist; get the Canon if I am going to make money on it.

I would also get the AF lens if the the DSLR body use a pentamirror instead of a brighter pentaprism.

Was shooting a few bands tonight with my 5d and 550d/T2i so I didn't have to switch lenses constantly and holy shit the AF on the 550d is terrible in low light, even compared to my 5d which is know for its bad AF. Seriously, 70% of all my pics are out of focus on that camera.
It's not the fault of the lens (85mm1.8) as that one works perfectly fine on my 5d.

tokkun

I'll buy used lenses if they are available, but for lenses that are still top performers in their class, the savings is often pretty low, making me wonder if it's not worth buying new to avoid potential warranty hassles.

The best deals tend to be when you can find a lens that has cosmetic damage to the outside but no problems with its glass.

There are three lenses I want.

Sigma 30mm 1.4
Canon 50mm
And something with a larger focal length that is affordable, perhaps an 85mm.

All primes. Is that strange?

giga

There are three lenses I want.

Sigma 30mm 1.4
Canon 50mm
And something with a larger focal length that is affordable, perhaps an 85mm.

All primes. Is that strange?

Kill the 50 and that's my combo. The 50 became pointless because the other two easily covered what I needed. I can move my feet too. All I really need now is an ultra wide zoom for landscapes. Like 10mm.

tokkun

One area where you may run into issues with the bag o' primes approach is nature photography. The extra bulk of multiple lenses vs one superzoom may be a burden, frequently switching lenses in open environments can invite exposure to dust, pollen, and spores on your glass & sensor, and switching lenses may startle live subjects or cause you to miss the shot.

BlueTsunami

50mm requires a bit more room in the wide and longer end. Focal lengths that are spaced out enough for a 50mm lens are 28mm on the wide end at 100mm on the long. Generally a good 35mm setup is 35/85/135

I'll be working on a crop sensor (550D), so really whilst settling on the 30mm being wide enough, I hadn't really considered that in fact the 'adjusted' focal length would result in the sensor turning it into a 48mm lense. 48mm isn't wide enough, so I should be looking at other sets of lenses shouldn't I considering this. I want to take photos of streets and architecture

Apologies for flooding this thread with my noob questions

BlueTsunami

I'll be working on a crop sensor (550D), so really whilst settling on the 30mm being wide enough, I hadn't really considered that in fact the 'adjusted' focal length would result in the sensor turning it into a 48mm lense. 48mm isn't wide enough, so I should be looking at other sets of lenses shouldn't I considering this. I want to take photos of streets and architecture

48mm would be considered a "Normal" focal length (as far as the Area of View represented) which can be fantastic for street photography and architecture. You definitely won't be getting an 'expansive' look from it though. For that you may want to look for 20mm and wider focal lengths. But anything around 50mm makes for a great 'walk-around' lens.

MRORANGE

I thought the sigma 30mm 1.4 was a crop sensor lens? so it should still be 30mm, the 50mm canon and most likely any 85mm will be for full frame camera's so you times it by 1.6 for those two

Anyone ever lose a lens in a stupid way? I left my 25mm Panasonic Leica on the hood of my buddy's car after we pulled away from a farm where he picked up a van. It was 30 miles away and pitch black when I thought about it. Now I'm hoping his farmer acquaintance that worked on his van will go look for it tomorrow. I offered him $100. :/

I thought the sigma 30mm 1.4 was a crop sensor lens? so it should still be 30mm, the 50mm canon and most likely any 85mm will be for full frame camera's so you times it by 1.6 for those two

Heh, didn't come across this from the info I've been scouring lately. Learn something new everytime I post here :) Thanks

giga

His slr is still a crop sensor so it wouldn't matter. It'll still be 30*1.6, which is the normal field of view that's pretty popular for everyday use.

giga

Strange. Seems you are right. Why would they call it a 'crop sensor lens'?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount

. The proximity of the rear element to the image sensor greatly enhances the possibilities for wide angle and very wide angle lenses, enabling them to be made smaller, lighter (containing less glass), faster (larger aperture) and less expensive.

The Sigma 30mm has an EF mount though I believe and can still be mounted on a full frame slr. You'll just get lots of vignetting around the image.

BlueTsunami

I'm reading the Sigma 30mm is still effected by the crop factor. Meaning, its designed as a 30mm lens so it comes out as a 49mm lens in regards to the AoV represented on smaller sensors. For it to be a 30mm on crop it would have to have been designed as a 19mm lens. To avoid confusion, even if the lens is designed for smaller than Full Frame sensors most manufactures will still list the focal length(s) the lens provides as what it would be as a FF lens.

Ken

Has anyone ever used a "semi-hard case" like this?

51SORu37SLL._AA300_.jpg

I'm thinking of picking one up to give my camera, a Canon T2i, a little protection if I have to put it in my backpack during an upcoming flight.

I have a T2i and am going to China for a month on Thursday. I want to make a video of the entire experience but I'm not sure if I should drop the money for a Rode Mic. What do you guys suggest?

giga

So after about a week with the GF2, I realize that this is not for me. About to head to ebay :/.

- I miss my optical viewfinder. Immensely. The LCD starts to degrade quickly in usefulness in low light.
- Focusing isn't anywhere near as fast as my 40D. This is with the 20mm 1.7 so it's getting as much light as possible but I guess that's the limitation of contrast detection.
- It's also cumbersome to select which focus points I want. If I see something while walking around, I have to use the crappy resistive touchscreen to pick a focus point or go into the software menu to do it. By the time I have the one I selected and frame the image, the moment is gone. Blah.
- When reviewing photos on device, I have to confirm twice if I want a photo deleted and there seems to be no way to turn this off. "1. Click delete button. 2. Click 'delete single'. 3. 'Delete this picture?' 4. Click again." Annoying.
- This happens after every time I turn the camera on. If I click the review button, it pops up an overlay on the LCD, giving you instructions that you can navigate with the touchscreen. "Touch screen to enlarge. Move screen to scroll…" Every. Single. Time. It's only a few seconds of delay, but it gets old quick. I just want to quickly get in and get out to review my photos. What the fuck Panasonic?

There are plenty of great things about the camera but I guess it's just not for someone who has gotten used to the perks of a dslr. Or maybe it is if you can look past the shortcomings. I was planning to use it as a substitute for some occasions, but I just can't do it. The last two ones are things I can get used to, but the viewfinder and focusing are essential for my shots. Oh well.

VNZ

Has anyone ever used a "semi-hard case" like this?

51SORu37SLL._AA300_.jpg

I'm thinking of picking one up to give my camera, a Canon T2i, a little protection if I have to put it in my backpack during an upcoming flight.
I use one of these for my 500D and I think it's a good compromise of protection and almost-instantaneous shooting capability. I was tempted to get the version for 5D too, but it's just too unattractive.

Heh, didn't come across this from the info I've been scouring lately. Learn something new everytime I post here :) Thanks

Yeah, it's confusing because every lens maker has different terminology to distinguish their crop sensor lenses from their full frame ones- Canon has EF-S vs EF, Nikon is DX vs. FX, not sure off hand what Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc. use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kill the 50 and that's my combo. The 50 became pointless because the other two easily covered what I needed. I can move my feet too. All I really need now is an ultra wide zoom for landscapes. Like 10mm.

Yeah, same here. I loved my 85mm.

The classic triumvirate of lenses is supposed to be 50/85/135 on 35mm. On a 1.6 crop that roughly equates to 30/50/85. Although I had the 50mm 1.8 I hardly ever used it because I enjoyed the 85/1.8 so much

Gabyskra

Banned
There are plenty of great things about the camera but I guess it's just not for someone who has gotten used to the perks of a dslr. Or maybe it is if you can look past the shortcomings. I was planning to use it as a substitute for some occasions, but I just can't do it. The last two ones are things I can get used to, but the viewfinder and focusing are essential for my shots. Oh well.

Try the Fuji x100. Very different feeling.

Seep

Has anyone here got a Nikon S9100. I was just about to buy one and just wondered if any of you guys could give me some some advice.

Not looking for anything super serious, just a decent point and shoot that takes good clear photos.

tino

Banned
Has anyone here got a Nikon S9100. I was just about to buy one and just wondered if any of you guys could give me some some advice.

Not looking for anything super serious, just a decent point and shoot that takes good clear photos.
Its got a small sensor, why don't you buy the $250 Panasonuc LX5 from a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom