• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinAmano

So I am pretty excited...just ordered a D7000 along with an 18-200mm lens and some accessories from Amazon. It is a gift to my wife...but I am super excited to play with it as well. :)

Kunohara

Just got my wife a Canon Rebel T2i for her 30th. Anything I should know about (this is our first DSLR)? Any good resources to check out in terms of how to use the thing?

Thanks.

Ken

I prefer 28/85. Maybe 24/28/85. 50 does nothing to me.
Are the distances the focal lengths of the lenses? Should I pick up a 85 mm lenses if I want really sharp photos and only have kit lenses and 50mm? I want to take portrait pictures and also pictures of places so would an 85 mm be great for these?

I have been thinking about buying this lens (Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L USM II)
timBateman_200mm.jpg

I love the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro and i think the 200mm lens is a very good option to get a bit more distance for a reasonable price. A 70-200 2.8 i nice, but way too much money.. and i don't mind prime lenses. they're usually very sharp and well built.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens?

Edit: I have a Canon 7D,.. if that matters anything.

tino

Banned
Are the distances the focal lengths of the lenses? Should I pick up a 85 mm lenses if I want really sharp photos and only have kit lenses and 50mm? I want to take portrait pictures and also pictures of places so would an 85 mm be great for these?
You can cut a 3x2 square hole in a card board and simulate how big a hole fits yu the best. And then you can find out what focal length it is. 50mm is close to what you see things with one eye. IMO 20-24mm range in 16x9 or wider aspect ratio is close to how I see the world with both eyes, and this is my favorite focal length.

85mm is close to the distant when your eyes are intensely focus on a hot girl without walking too close to disturb that her. Plus at this focal length, the portrait object's nose won't have diatortion. Its the most popular portrait focal length. That's why systems that doesn't have a f/1.4 lens at this focal length are not considered serious systems.

Keep in mind that if you use this focal length to take scenic photos, the landscapes will look a little bit flat, which is not a big deal depends on your preference.

Ken

You can cut a 3x2 square hole in a card board and simulate how big a hole fits yu the best. And then you can find out what focal length it is. 50mm is close to what you see things with one eye. IMO 20-24mm range in 16x9 or wider aspect ratio is close to how I see the world with both eyes, and this is my favorite focal length.

85mm is close to the distant when your eyes are intensely focus on a hot girl without walking too close to disturb that her. Plus at this focal length, the portrait object's nose won't have diatortion. Its the most popular portrait focal length. That's why systems that doesn't have a f/1.4 lens at this focal length are not considered serious systems.

Keep in mind that if you use this focal length to take scenic photos, the landscapes will look a little bit flat, which is not a big deal depends on your preference.
What type of pictures are 20-24 mm used for?

alterno69

Banned
So i need help getting some lenses for my Nex-5, i have the kit lens(18-55) and i want at least one more lens for portraits. SI which lens and adapter should i get?

Flo_Evans

I just bought a used Nikon F100 on eBay that I was going to give to my dad for xmas...

Fuck me this thing is cool. I shot a few rolls to verify it was working properly and I think I might keep it for myself now lol.

My 105 DC f2 which is a bit long on my D7000 is a dream on this body. My 12-24 DX is insanely wide (it actually covers the full 35mm film at 24, at 12 though you can see the lens barrel!)

UcHF1.jpg

Sorry iPhone pic :p

What blows my mind is that this thing is almost as fast (4-5fps) as my D7000! Of course you have to stop and reload it after 24 or 36 shots but still! Amazing camera.

I need some advice guys. I'm making a Christmas wishlist for my Canon T2i and was hoping you guys can recommend some equipment. I want a new lens, the only ones I have are the 18-55 and a 55-250. I remember a lot of people saying good things about a specific lens, but I can't remember which. I'm also looking for some audio equipment, are there any good recorders/mics I can get without breaking the bank? I've worked with people who used an external audio recorder, any recommendations on those?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My focal lengths of choice will end up being 28/50/100 or 105. Thinking about getting a Nikkor 105/2.5 which will finish this trinity of lenses.

Zyzyxxz

I just bought a used Nikon F100 on eBay that I was going to give to my dad for xmas...

Fuck me this thing is cool. I shot a few rolls to verify it was working properly and I think I might keep it for myself now lol.

My 105 DC f2 which is a bit long on my D7000 is a dream on this body. My 12-24 DX is insanely wide (it actually covers the full 35mm film at 24, at 12 though you can see the lens barrel!)

Dang that looks great!

Now I'm looking into it.

Ken

What would be a good and inexpensive lens for general use (like just walking around outside or indoors in malls and stuff, nothing like landscapes but I also want to take pictures of people and objects up close) on a Canon T2i? I have a kit lens and the 50 mm f/1.8 already.

Avocado

So I am pretty excited...just ordered a D7000 along with an 18-200mm lens and some accessories from Amazon. It is a gift to my wife...but I am super excited to play with it as well. :)

Congrats. Its a solid choice, and the lens will ensure that your camera can be used in most situations.

Phoenix4

Just got my wife a Canon Rebel T2i for her 30th. Anything I should know about (this is our first DSLR)? Any good resources to check out in terms of how to use the thing?

Thanks.

Don't know if you're new to photography as well but if you are google the 'Rule of Thirds'. Use it as a guideline, not a law. You now already make better pictures than 80% of tourists with a camera.

As for the camera itself, no use if you only use auto-mode. I'm amazed at people who buy $1500 dollar DSLR and alway keep it on auto. The best way to start is by using the Av and Tv modes:

TV: Controls shutter speed (freeze time or show motion)
AV: Controls depth of field (which area in the picture is sharp, the lower the F-Value, the smaller the area that is in focus)

These were the first things i learned. Remember to keep you horizon straight as well ;)

alphaNoid

Banned
What would be a good and inexpensive lens for general use (like just walking around outside or indoors in malls and stuff, nothing like landscapes but I also want to take pictures of people and objects up close) on a Canon T2i? I have a kit lens and the 50 mm f/1.8 already.

My 'carry' lens is a 24-70 2.8L... it really is the 'best'. But it'll cost you $1400. After Christmas I'm hoping to get my hands on a prime, jumping the nifty-fifty and shooting for a Sigma 50 1.4.

Ken

My 'carry' lens is a 24-70 2.8L... it really is the 'best'. But it'll cost you $1400. After Christmas I'm hoping to get my hands on a prime, jumping the nifty-fifty and shooting for a Sigma 50 1.4.

That's really out of my range lol. I was hoping for something less than $500. I'm still a beginner at photography but I'd like to have good lenses that I can start with and last for a long time.

alphaNoid

Banned
That's really out of my range lol. I was hoping for something less than $500. I'm still a beginner at photography but I'd like to have good lenses that I can start with and last for a long time.

There are other great carry lens, my person opinion is that a carry lens should be a zoom lens. Just because its role is to do everything. There are some non L glass lenses out there, certainly under the $400 price range. I'll have to check and see whats available now.. look into ...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Or sigma counterparts.

tino

Banned

You can get a Sigma/Tamron/Tokina 17-50 f/2.8 for that kindof money. You can also get a used 24/28-70mm f/2.8 from various brands for cheaper. Probably none of them have great macro features.

Ken

There are other great carry lens, my person opinion is that a carry lens should be a zoom lens. Just because its role is to do everything. There are some non L glass lenses out there, certainly under the $400 price range. I'll have to check and see whats available now.. look into ...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Or sigma counterparts.

How is that 28-135 mm lens? Might pick that up.

You can get a Sigma/Tamron/Tokina 17-50 f/2.8 for that kindof money. You can also get a used 24/28-70mm f/2.8 from various brands for cheaper. Probably none of them have great macro features.

Thanks. I'll look into those too.

Zyzyxxz

So I'm an idiot. I'm going to China in a couple of hours and I left my charger at home. I have a T2i and I was wondering if those Chinese knock offs would work?

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=canon+..._type=item&atype=&tracelog=&sourceId=tb.index

Like this?

I rarely see DSLR dealers in China, cameras of that price range are considered an ultra luxury. Which area are you going to by the way? Helps knowing since if you are going to be near Shenzhen or Hong Kong you can always swing by and visit their electronics mecha.

I wouldn't be surprised is you can find it in Shanghai as well. You should be find or at least two days right? I went with my D90 and it lasted me at least 4 days but granted I didn't take hundreds of shots.

I rarely see DSLR dealers in China, cameras of that price range are considered an ultra luxury. Which area are you going to by the way? Helps knowing since if you are going to be near Shenzhen or Hong Kong you can always swing by and visit their electronics mecha.

I wouldn't be surprised is you can find it in Shanghai as well. You should be find or at least two days right? I went with my D90 and it lasted me at least 4 days but granted I didn't take hundreds of shots.

Well I'm flying into Shanghai and I'm going to be there for the afternoon. I'm going to be near the Bend(?) area. Would there be vendors over there?

*edit* Bund

tino

Banned
NVM I thought you are going to ShenZhen.

However majority of the large appliances store carry aftermarket camera chargers. They charge you more than taobao of course.

Zyzyxxz

Well I'm flying into Shanghai and I'm going to be there for the afternoon. I'm going to be near the Bend(?) area. Would there be vendors over there?

*edit* Bund

Wouldn't know the top of my head but just do a Google search, its a pretty modern city so I'm sure you will find a dealer, just know the current price and convert them into RMB so you know what's the max you should pay for an official one.

BJK

What's prime?

A 'prime' lens has a fixed focal length (e.g. 50mm, 85mm, 105mm), whereas a zoom lens has a range (I bought my 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens today).

...Not many questions in this thread that I can answer (I'm also a complete neophyte where my new T3i is concerned), but this one I've got....I think.

Ken

A 'prime' lens has a fixed focal length (e.g. 50mm, 85mm, 105mm), whereas a zoom lens has a range (I bought my 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens today).

...Not many questions in this thread that I can answer (I'm also a complete neophyte where my new T3i is concerned), but this one I've got....I think.

Oh, then I'm not sure. Maybe a zoom lens since it sounds more versatile?

sneaky77

If you have a Canon I highly recommend the nifty fifty 50mm 1.8 lense for about $100 is not a zoom but is great for the price.

giga

Oh, then I'm not sure. Maybe a zoom lens since it sounds more versatile?
You already have the 50 1.8, which is a prime. Do you feel limited by its fixed focal length or do you value its better image quality and low light ability?

Ken

You already have the 50 1.8, which is a prime. Do you feel limited by its fixed focal length or do you value its better image quality and low light ability?

By "limited by its fixed focal length," do you mean how I have to be at a certain distance for the shot to get into focus? It gets in the way some times, but I'd much rather have better image quality and low light ability.

East Lake

A prime is just a lens you can't zoom in with. With the 50 1.8 if you want to get closer to the subject you have to walk closer. With a zoom you could zoom from 50mm to 90mm for a closeup without moving your position or changing lenses. If you want a lens that can focus on subjects very close to the lens itself you have to look at macro lenses, or regular lenses that can focus at much shorter distances. You can find that in the specifications.

ShinAmano

Congrats. Its a solid choice, and the lens will ensure that your camera can be used in most situations.

Thanks! I had a friend that basically told me about his setup and gave me the things i would need to make it a great experience. Now I only have two problems: 1. The stuff will all be here no later than tomorrow and I can't play with it for 3 weeks :( and 2. Once she opens one item...she will know what all the rest are -_-

I think I am going to wrap all parts individually...put them in a big box and wrap that. I think the only thing I need now is a carrying case / backpack...any suggestions?

giga

By "limited by its fixed focal length," do you mean how I have to be at a certain distance for the shot to get into focus? It gets in the way some times, but I'd much rather have better image quality and low light ability.
No, that's minimum focus distance. What I mean is that you can't "zoom" in our out with a fixed focal length. Like your 50mm. It's at a fixed 50mm focal length.

Ken

No, that's minimum focus distance. What I mean is that you can't "zoom" in our out with a fixed focal length. Like your 50mm. It's at a fixed 50mm focal length.
Oh, well do zooms sacrifice anything like image quality compared to a prime?

Kunohara

Don't know if you're new to photography as well but if you are google the 'Rule of Thirds'. Use it as a guideline, not a law. You now already make better pictures than 80% of tourists with a camera.

As for the camera itself, no use if you only use auto-mode. I'm amazed at people who buy $1500 dollar DSLR and alway keep it on auto. The best way to start is by using the Av and Tv modes:

TV: Controls shutter speed (freeze time or show motion)
AV: Controls depth of field (which area in the picture is sharp, the lower the F-Value, the smaller the area that is in focus)

These were the first things i learned. Remember to keep you horizon straight as well ;)

Thanks alot. This is going to take awhile to get the hang of all this.

Tapiozona

Banned
So I'm in the market to upgrade my current Canon Rebel to something better. I'd like to stay with Canon so I can keep my current lenses (50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8 usm) but I'm torn on which model to buy.

Originally I had my eyes set on the 60d but after reading it seems like it's just a marginal increase over the t3i. Seems like the gap between the t3i, 60d, and the 7d has narrowed quite a bit and all 3 share the same image quality the only difference being some of the features (shots per second, swivel lcd).

I don't do any sports or nature photography so having more shots per second doesn't affect me at all...Is there any real reason to spend double on a camera which supposedly takes pictures with the exact same quality (same sensor)? The idea of buying another 'rebel' series seems like I'm not upgrading at all but is it really an upgrade if the camera is taking the same pictures?

More autofocus points is really the only difference I can see that would justify spending more..but hundreds more?

And what about the 50d over all 3 of them?

alterno69

Banned
So I'm in the market to upgrade my current Canon Rebel to something better. I'd like to stay with Canon so I can keep my current lenses (50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8 usm) but I'm torn on which model to buy.

Originally I had my eyes set on the 60d but after reading it seems like it's just a marginal increase over the t3i. Seems like the gap between the t3i, 60d, and the 7d has narrowed quite a bit and all 3 share the same image quality the only difference being some of the features (shots per second, swivel lcd).

I don't do any sports or nature photography so having more shots per second doesn't affect me at all...Is there any real reason to spend double on a camera which supposedly takes pictures with the exact same quality (same sensor)? The idea of buying another 'rebel' series seems like I'm not upgrading at all but is it really an upgrade if the camera is taking the same pictures?

More autofocus points is really the only difference I can see that would justify spending more..but hundreds more?

I'm in the same dilema, i want a new camera for photography mainly but also good for video. The 60d is much more expensive here in Mexico over the T3i but i don't want to "hack" the T3i so maybe 60d is the way to go for me? Hell if i know but i have to make a decition by saturday lol.

giga

- larger, brighter pentaprism viewfinder
- weather seals
- double the battery life
- dedicated rear focus point selector (don't have to use the four arrows on the t3i)
- rear spinning dial (which is a ton better than the four arrows on the t3i)
- better AF (9 cross type points on the 60D and only one cross type point on the t3i)
- just feels better in your hand thanks to its large, padded grip (assuming you're male)

All of this applies to the 50D as well. Just go to a camera or electronics store and feel them in your hand, look into the viewfinder, take some shots, and get a feel of the handling. The difference is very noticeable.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

What Rebel do you have and what are you finding lacking with it that makes you want to upgrade?

I went with the 60D because it does everything I need a lot cheaper then the 7D. I don't need the extra features for action shooting. I also chose the 60D over the latest in the Rebel line because it fits in my hand better, has a better build and isn't too much more pricey.

dmshaposv

I'd say it depends on your budget/money too. I recently bought my DSLR kit too.

It was between 60D and 600D/T3i Rebel for me, and I chose T3i.

The reason for this was I primarily want to shoot video, and the video quality is practically the same. Both these cameras are better than the 7D if you are on a budget and can't get an external LCD thanks to the really awesome swivel screen. Shooting High angle shots, ground level shots and the like are so much easier. Feels good man.

I used the money I saved on buying the 60D (where I live the difference between 60D and T3i is of almost $250!!) on good lenses.

Rocking my T3i with a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Both have been amazing for some excellent wide shots and bokeh-licious shallow D.O.F Medium shots. Perfect for filmaking.

I'm in the same dilema, i want a new camera for photography mainly but also good for video. The 60d is much more expensive here in Mexico over the T3i but i don't want to "hack" the T3i so maybe 60d is the way to go for me? Hell if i know but i have to make a decition by saturday lol.

I know that feel bro. $250-$300 difference between price in my country. Only in the U.S it seems the difference between the two is minimal. Feature set wise 60D and 600D are the same except burst rate and shutter speed - Magic Lantern can't change those I think. But are you really doing a lot of sports photography that you need a higher burst rate and super fast shutter speed of 1/8000s? T3i can still do 1/4000s which with a fast aperture like f1.4 can give some killer shots still.

Luckily I shoot videos and for the most time my T3i is on a tripod and/or rig so to me "how it feels in the hand" thing is more or less negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom