• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spats

I'd just like to pop in and thank you guys for helping me out with picking the M42 adapter for my Nikon some time ago.

I'm having so much fun shooting with these old Pentax lenses!

I got to play with one of my mom's lenses today.
400mm with a 2x extender on a cropped sensor, heh.
dFlOVl.jpg

terrible photo of a great lens

rage1973

I am so pissed.
It appears I have bent one pin in the CF card slot in my 7d.
I am going to try to bend it back with a tweezer but most likely will have to go back to Canon for repairs.

aerts1js

Hey GAF! I recently bought a Sony Nex 5n and I was wondering what the best all around lens for it would be? I can't say I'm too experienced with photography but I've always kinda been looking to get into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

edit: price isn't a factor but I don't want something so obnoxiously huge that it would be difficult to travel with.

tamron just released its 18-200mm for NEX, which is cheaper and way smaller than sony's own equivalent. otherwise, you should probably get the new 50mm f/1.8.

Forsete

Well I couldn't wait any longer. It is in short supply but I got one of the last 2 from the shop. It arrived today, weekend saved!

Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA
SsKRP.jpg

I haven't had much time with the camera, just taking random pictures (sun is already setting and its 17:00 here, I get off work at 16:15). But the camera preforms really well, especially with the Sony 50mm 1.4 (Alpha lens) and the 24mm 1.8 (E-mount). The old 18-55 is also "good enough" IMO.

The image quality (sharpness etc) and dynamic range seems to be on par with my A900, which is really awesome.

One of the best things is that it has that Minolta iISO flash shoe. Here it is with my smallest iISO flash which I got for my A900 to act as a flash commander. It has bounce capability and is powerful enough.
pjjB5.jpg

The built in flash however is not bad and I was surprised that if you manually aim the built in flash towards the ceiling it has enough power to illuminate a small room and bounce the flash around (at least at ISO1600).

I am so pissed.
It appears I have bent one pin in the CF card slot in my 7d.
I am going to try to bend it back with a tweezer but most likely will have to go back to Canon for repairs.

The same thing happened to me on my 7D, i had to correct it with tweezers which was really nerve wrecking, this was almost a year ago and my 7D is still fine, but I wonder if its a problem with the 7D.

Forsete

Congrat on the N7, how is manual focus via EVF with a MF lens?

Thanks. :)
Piece of cake thanks to peaking. You could probably do it without peaking as the EVF is very high resolution, but peaking speeds it up (you dont need to focus past and then refocus like I do when using a OVF).

cbox

The same thing happened to me on my 7D, i had to correct it with tweezers which was really nerve wrecking, this was almost a year ago and my 7D is still fine, but I wonder if its a problem with the 7D.

Never had that problem with mine, including cf type I & II

tino

Banned
Thanks. :)
Piece of cake thanks to peaking. You could probably do it without peaking as the EVF is very high resolution, but peaking speeds it up (you dont need to focus past and then refocus like I do when using a OVF).

If you set the MF lens aperture to say f4 or 5.6, how easy is it to MF? Do you have to zoom in. Is there a one button zoom in control?

Thanks.

Forsete

If you set the MF lens aperture to say f4 or 5.6, how easy is it to MF? Do you have to zoom in. Is there a one button zoom in control?

Thanks.

In daylight it should not be a problem, in low light while using live view the camera sensor will have to up the gain which makes the image noisier. Peaking works in most situations.

Yes you choose to go into 100% detail view. It can be assigned to any of the 5 "soft buttons" (programmable buttons), then its near impossible to mis focus. :p

If you want I can try to record a video of how it looks. If my HDMI capture card works, I'll have to check that first.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm always a bit more mindful of what I'm doing when I move around my CF card (from PC read to camera). I've also heard horror stories of bent pins and, for some reason, the 7D is more known for this. Maybe the slot has a little too much room which allows the card to be misaligned with the pins.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
whoa, i didnt know people actually took their CF cards out. I always just hook my camera straight into my PC via USB.

anyway you should be able to bend that pin back no problem.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I am getting very close to purchasing an X100. Looking at Adorama they have these "outfits" with a bunch of extra things for only about $4 more.

Does anyone know if these things are legit? I am paranoid that the camera may be great market and I want to make sure I can register it. I know Adorama is a legit retailer but I thought I'd ask in case anyone knew.

I am getting very close to purchasing an X100. Looking at Adorama they have these "outfits" with a bunch of extra things for only about $4 more.

Does anyone know if these things are legit? I am paranoid that the camera may be great market and I want to make sure I can register it. I know Adorama is a legit retailer but I thought I'd ask in case anyone knew.

Can't answer your questions, but the X100 was announced in 2010... aren't we close to a successor being announced/shown/released?

spicy cho

Can't answer your questions, but the X100 was announced in 2010... aren't we close to a successor being announced/shown/released?
Well there's the x-pro 1, but that isn't an x100 replacement. Not sure if there is any news on a replacement but the x100 is a lovely camera and I think its unlikely any replacement down the road will devalue it too much. Thing is timeless, I'd get one if I had the dough.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?

At first I was annoyed by your response but I guess you were genuinely trying to be helpful. I honestly don't care if something is imminent, although I don't expect any announcement soon.

The X100 has been out for less than a year (despite when it was announced) and there is nothing that compares to it in terms of its feature set. The closest are the Leica X1 and the Sigma's but both fall short in my opinion compared to the X100. I know the camera has it foibles but the tool package is almost exactly what I want.

tino

Banned
At first I was annoyed by your response but I guess you were genuinely trying to be helpful. I honestly don't care if something is imminent, although I don't expect any announcement soon.

The X100 has been out for less than a year (despite when it was announced) and there is nothing that compares to it in terms of its feature set. The closest are the Leica X1 and the Sigma's but both fall short in my opinion compared to the X100. I know the camera has it foibles but the tool package is almost exactly what I want.

It's very very rare that a $1000 camera gets a replacement in 1 year.

The DP1 was released around 2008, The DP1s (very minor improvement) came out in 2010, DP1x (noticeable faster operation, still same sensor) came out in mid 2011.

The limited edition X100 just came out, Fuji probably will wait half a year to decide if they want to whore out another special edition.

Although if the XP1 is super popular they should focus the resource on a cheaper viewfinder-less XP1.

Zyzyxxz

It's very very rare that a $1000 camera gets a replacement in 1 year.

The DP1 was released around 2008, The DP1s (very minor improvement) came out in 2010, DP1x (noticeable faster operation, still same sensor) came out in mid 2011.

The limited edition X100 just came out, Fuji probably will wait half a year to decide if they want to whore out another special edition.

Although if the XP1 is super popular they should focus the resource on a cheaper viewfinder-less XP1.

wha? No viewfinder XP1? Then what would be the point? Might as well get a micro four thirds if you don't want a viewfinder.

Nobody would buy it unless the price was obscenely low.

tino

Banned
wha? No viewfinder XP1? Then what would be the point? Might as well get a micro four thirds if you don't want a viewfinder.

Nobody would buy it unless the price was obscenely low.

You under estimate the Fuji sensor, its noticeably better than 5n. Plus it has fucking lenses. I would buy it for $800.

It may even have a hotshoe! The more I think about it the more I like the idea.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
You under estimate the Fuji sensor, its noticeably better than 5n. Plus it has fucking lenses. I would buy it for $800.

Before when I said there were things in the X100 that it it in a class of its own one of the things I was referring to was a viewfinder. With regards to the XP1, what pro would want a pro camera without a viewfinder?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Before when I said there were things in the X100 that it it in a class of its own one of the things I was referring to was a viewfinder. With regards to the XP1, what pro would want a pro camera without a viewfinder?

Kirk Tuck. He goes on and on about the electronic viewfinder from Olympus.

most "pros" I know don't care about a lot of shit people on forums whine about as long as the camera is somewhat easy to use and they can make great photos with it, there's even some that use janky cameras that aren't that easy to use because of the image quality

Zyzyxxz

If that happened then it would kill sales of the X100. I'm going to bet this idea will never happen.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Kirk Tuck. He goes on and on about the electronic viewfinder from Olympus.

most "pros" I know don't care about a lot of shit people on forums whine about as long as the camera is somewhat easy to use and they can make great photos with it, there's even some that use janky cameras that aren't that easy to use because of the image quality

Fair enough. I can't profess to know anything about what pros do so I probably souldn't have made that point (I was working off an assumption). For me I definitely want a viewfinder though.

So no one knows about Adorama's deals? It does not specify grey market so I guess it's fine.

Forsete

tino: I recorded that video for you, if you want to have a look check here: http://vimeo.com/36983746

Sadly peaking is not displayed via HDMI output so I cant show you what it looks like, there are videos on Youtube that shows that though.

First at f1.4 then stopped down to f4 in a room lit only by the TV and ceiling light. The view is basically the same in the EVF but the menu-bar on the right side is not shown in the EVF, so the live view picture takes up the whole screen.

Can anybody recommend a decent/good macro lens for an extremely amateur photographer? I have a Canon Digital Rebel Xsi with the kit lens and 55-250mm zoom lens. I'd like to take close up photos of insects and flowers and the like, and I've been able to get some decent shots with the equipment I've already got.

Like I said I am extremely amateur and still learning all the basic functions of the camera and how the different lenses work, so any help or advice you want to add in their for photographing small things would be appreciated too. Thanks.

MultiCore

Can anybody recommend a decent/good macro lens for an extremely amateur photographer? I have a Canon Digital Rebel Xsi with the kit lens and 55-250mm zoom lens. I'd like to take close up photos of insects and flowers and the like, and I've been able to get some decent shots with the equipment I've already got.

Like I said I am extremely amateur and still learning all the basic functions of the camera and how the different lenses work, so any help or advice you want to add in their for photographing small things would be appreciated too. Thanks.

What's your budget? Do you want 1:1 magnification or better? Will you consider third party lenses?

Take a peek here though.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Budget a major concern?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/163662-REG/Sigma_509101_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_DG_Macro.html

Consider a ring flash as well.

What's your budget? Do you want 1:1 magnification or better? Will you consider third party lenses?

Take a peek here though.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Budget a major concern?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/163662-REG/Sigma_509101_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_DG_Macro.html

Consider a ring flash as well.

Budget is whatever will get me the most bang for my buck. Ideally under 500$ but whatever really. Thanks for the links, I'll check them now.

And sorry, like I said, I'm still a beginner...1:1 magnification as opposed to what? I'll look that up too...Thanks again!

MultiCore

Budget is whatever will get me the most bang for my buck. Ideally under 500$ but whatever really. Thanks for the links, I'll check them now.

And sorry, like I said, I'm still a beginner...1:1 magnification as opposed to what? I'll look that up too...Thanks again!

There's a cheaper canon 50mm macro that only provides .5 magnification. It's all on that digital picture site. They compare with the third party lenses too.

50mm macro:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-2.5-Compact-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

There's a cheaper canon 50mm macro that only provides .5 magnification. It's all on that digital picture site. They compare with the third party lenses too.

50mm macro:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-2.5-Compact-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Ok so 1:1 is better and from what I read, for insects and other types of small objects that may move I should get the lens that is 100mm or greater? Seriously thanks for the info, I'll keep reading but it looks like that Canon 100mm would be the best bet. The Sigma is 1:2 and the 50mm Canon I may have to get too close to the subject and may scare it away? Am I interpreting everything correctly? Haha I just want to make sure I understand everything.

MultiCore

Ok so 1:1 is better and from what I read, for insects and other types of small objects that may move I should get the lens that is 100mm or greater? Seriously thanks for the info, I'll keep reading but it looks like that Canon 100mm would be the best bet. The Sigma is 1:2 and the 50mm Canon I may have to get too close to the subject and may scare it away? Am I interpreting everything correctly? Haha I just want to make sure I understand everything.

You're doing well, sir.

Canon has an extreme maco lens that does 5:1 magnification, but it's hard to light, and not cheap. I do think the 100mm is your best all around starter lens in that price range.

Pachimari

I bought a Canon 60D back in December but I would really love to shoot some great videos for my YouTube. Videos of unboxing and impressions. What do I need for great lighting and sound?

I can imagine a microphone for the camera but which one is good and compatible?

tino

Banned
If that happened then it would kill sales of the X100. I'm going to bet this idea will never happen.

Well I think the chance of that happening is pretty high. You make a lot more money selling a system than a self contained camera. Fuji had to be incredible ambitious to move the design of X100 to the XPro1 in a short half year period.

I see the X-system as Fuji's attempt at righting the wrong of the S Pro "system".

Forsete: thanks I will check it out when I get home.

100 mm Macro 2.8.
Cheap and L quality imo. Amazing lens.

MultiCore

I bought a Canon 60D back in December but I would really love to shoot some great videos for my YouTube. Videos of unboxing and impressions. What do I need for great lighting and sound?

I can imagine a microphone for the camera but which one is good and compatible?

Get this:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

And you can get the Rode Video mic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363083-REG/Rode_VIDEOMIC_VideoMic_Camera_Mounted.html

Look at a wireless lapel mic too.

Lighting, well, LED's are probably your best bet, but you can always try cheap shop lights from Home Depot if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom